Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

I Am An Atheist. (Does that offend you?) Options · View
stephanie
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 3:38:48 PM

Rank: Bohemian

Joined: 1/1/2010
Posts: 4,620
Location: Dublin, Ire., Ireland


I am an Atheist.

I don't believe in God. (He doesn't and has never existed.)

Raised as a Roman Catholic, from a very young age I questioned the tenets of not only THAT church, but also the notion of a God Head, an afterlife, the concept of a 'soul' as defined by religion, the notion of a Spiritual Architect of our Universe, Santa Claus and The Tooth Fairy.

I endeavor and I believe I succeed in living a moral life to the best of my capability, drawing upon in truth MANY of the beliefs of the Bible I read as a child, HOWEVER, I practice those beliefs NOT because they were 'sent to me by God' but because it is simply a humanistic way to live.

"Treat others as you would wish to be treated."

I believe organized religion in all its forms is delusional and fractious. I believe that the practice of ANY organized religion divides us as a species and leads to violence, mistrust, hate and disorder.

I believe that the TOTAL and utter rejection of partizan religions would enable and encourage us as human beings to discover a way to live together in harmony and peace and solidarity, free from dogma, superstition, prejudice and hatred.

I believe that it's time to BURY a God who never really existed in the first place and move together towards a more rewarding and fulfilling sense of humanity, based on logic, basic morality and goodwill to our brothers and sisters worldwide.

xx SF



"I'm a writer... Honesty is not my first language..." (Stephen Flashman)
Weavindreams
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 3:49:53 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 10/28/2013
Posts: 4,948
Location: On the bluffs above the Mississippi River., United
happy1 Offended? No. You have every right to your beliefs (as do we all). If you're happy with it, that's all that matters to me (as long as you're equally willing to allow me the right to MY beliefs.) (Oh, and the popcorn, is for me to munch on whilst I watch the fur fly!)

Due to the politely worded request of a lady, I have changed my sig.

Guest
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 3:52:18 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 473,578
You being an atheist does not offend me. To each their own. I firmly believe and you are at liberty to not believe if you choose to. What offends me here is your call for people to abandon their beliefs because you think it's a good idea. The laws that we follow are founded on the 10 commandments. You are free to believe what you will even though I do not agree with more than half of what you have said here, I am also free to believe what I know is true.
NightMan
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 3:54:22 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 10/30/2013
Posts: 133
Location: United States
No it doesn't offend me. You have the rite to believe or disbelieve whatever you choose. & I hope this does not offend you. I believe we don't have enough data to accurately make a definite decision on the existence of God or A Supreme Being. Therefore I believe the person who says they believe is as foolish as the person who says they don't. Take all things into consideration & hope for the best.dontknow
naughtyannie
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 4:03:29 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 6/8/2011
Posts: 1,339
Location: London, United Kingdom
Your being one doesn't.

Your insistence on going on about it in such a self-righteous manner does, though.



Click on the link below to visit my profile page, for award-winning filthy stories and arousing pics. Go on, it's just one click.

You know you want to...

http://www.lushstories.com/naughtyannie

You don't know what you're missing 'til you try it
stephanie
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 4:12:14 PM

Rank: Bohemian

Joined: 1/1/2010
Posts: 4,620
Location: Dublin, Ire., Ireland
naughtyannie wrote:
Your being one doesn't.

Your insistence on going on about it in such a self-righteous manner does, though.



I posted a thread.

(I suppose every one who does is 'going on about it', no matter the subject...)

I'm telling you what I believe.

No more, no less... I'm not even suggesting (as opposed to most religionists) that you HAVE to agree with me...

xx SF

(Self Righteous: "having or characterized by a certainty, especially an unfounded one, that one is totally correct or morally superior.)

Not that, then, in this case... I'm telling you what I think... I'm not telling you you must think the same...





"I'm a writer... Honesty is not my first language..." (Stephen Flashman)
SereneProdigy
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 4:16:31 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 7/16/2013
Posts: 1,500
If this symbol offends anyone, I'd be glad it does, as maybe it will provoke some thoughts. If, as an individual, my own statement and my will to express nothing more than my personal disregard toward religion are perceived as an hateful commentary toward others' beliefs, maybe those people should reconsider their outlook on individuality, diverging opinions and general tolerance.





dpw
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 4:25:16 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 9/15/2013
Posts: 2,729
Location: Liverpool, United Kingdom
stephanie wrote:


I am an Atheist.

I don't believe in God. (He doesn't and has never existed.)

Raised as a Roman Catholic, from a very young age I questioned the tenets of not only THAT church, but also the notion of a God Head, an afterlife, the concept of a 'soul' as defined by religion, the notion of a Spiritual Architect of our Universe, Santa Claus and The Tooth Fairy.

I endeavor and I believe I succeed in living a moral life to the best of my capability, drawing upon in truth MANY of the beliefs of the Bible I read as a child, HOWEVER, I practice those beliefs NOT because they were 'sent to me by God' but because it is simply a humanistic way to live.

"Treat others as you would wish to be treated."

I believe organized religion in all its forms is delusional and fractious. I believe that the practice of ANY organized religion divides us as a species and leads to violence, mistrust, hate and disorder.

I believe that the TOTAL and utter rejection of partizan religions would enable and encourage us as human beings to discover a way to live together in harmony and peace and solidarity, free from dogma, superstition, prejudice and hatred.

I believe that it's time to BURY a God who never really existed in the first place and move together towards a more rewarding and fulfilling sense of humanity, based on logic, basic morality and goodwill to our brothers and sisters worldwide.

xx SF



No is the answer to your question.

I think this should be in the Think Tank, it's a bit heavyweight for the Loungue.
stephanie
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 4:31:58 PM

Rank: Bohemian

Joined: 1/1/2010
Posts: 4,620
Location: Dublin, Ire., Ireland
dpw wrote:


No is the answer to your question.

I think this should be in the Think Tank, it's a bit heavyweight for the Loungue.


You are QUITE correct and I apologize for placing this thread in The Lounge...

xx Steph

(No doubt, a keen-eyed moderator will move this thread to a more appropriate forum and AGAIN I apologize for my mistake in placing it here...)

"I'm a writer... Honesty is not my first language..." (Stephen Flashman)
BlondeBookworm
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 4:39:10 PM

Rank: Story Verifier

Joined: 11/1/2012
Posts: 1,106
Location: United States
stephanie wrote:


I believe that it's time to BURY a God who never really existed in the first place and move together towards a more rewarding and fulfilling sense of humanity, based on logic, basic morality and goodwill to our brothers and sisters worldwide.


The fact that you are atheist doesn't bother me a bit. Everyone should be aloud to worship however they want to as long as it doesn't harm anyone else. But saying that we need to bury god is a little bit pushy sounding. If it was mandatory for everyone across the world to stop worshipping their deity and be forced to believe in only logic and science, there would be complete chaos and lots of wars. If people want to believe then they should be aloud to. I'm not exactly sure what I believe in dontknow I wasn't raised in a religious family and I've never been to church, but I'm not atheist. I think it is good to have SOMETHING to believe in.

stephanie
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 4:46:03 PM

Rank: Bohemian

Joined: 1/1/2010
Posts: 4,620
Location: Dublin, Ire., Ireland
[quote=BlondeBookworm]

But saying that we need to bury god is a little bit pushy sounding. If it was mandatory for everyone across the world to stop worshipping their deity and be forced to believe in only logic and science, there would be complete chaos and lots of wars.


***********************************************

Unlike it is right now then, when most of the many conflicts and wars we suffer are as a direct result of religious and dogmatic differences...

xx SF

(If it wasn't for religion, the Malachites and Maccabees wouldn't have been massacared in ancient times, More than 3000 people in Ireland and many others in Britain would still be alive and there would still be two beautiful buildings standing in a city I used to live in as a monument to the best of what we are capable of as human beings...)

I have, sadly, a thousand more examples.

ALL THE GOOD religion does, (AND IT DOES) could be accomplished without the concept of religion.





"I'm a writer... Honesty is not my first language..." (Stephen Flashman)
Archadia
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 4:55:22 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 11/1/2011
Posts: 420
Location: Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
I'm an Atheist too, although I was raised catholic. I'm huge fan of Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens, Stephen Fry, Ricky Gervais and various other leading atheists. I haven't nothing whatsoever against somebody wanting to find more meaning and adding spirituality and purpose to their life, through belief in some higher power. I'm am however against organised religions, which I think are the bane of the world, for many reasons, that I don't even have the energy to list. But indoctrination of children, hatred against children, fear based tactics and teaching people to be content with being ignorant, is a few of those reasons.

And as an Atheists I DO believe in something, it's called science and nature, that is my God.

I'll say no more on the subject, I'm so burned out with it I can't talk about to people anymore, not even in real life. Live and let live, whether religious or not treat people the way you wish to be treated, and let the haters hate.
Guest
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 4:56:11 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 473,578
You being an atheist isn't offensive at all. Saying God doesn't exist doesn't offend me either, everyone's allowed their own opinion. Saying it's time to bury the idea of a deity is offensive, people should be allowed to believe in whatever they wish.
Jam_Wil_Mac
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 5:12:17 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 10/30/2013
Posts: 846
Location: Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, United
I am also an Atheist, so no it does not offend me that you are one, too. But I am put off by the way in which you have posted here. The vitriol and rhetoric with which you have posted is no different to that found in orthodox or extreme sections of religions. I, too, believe a world without religion would be a better place, but that can't happen and I won't spill angry words about it. My family are all devout Christians, but I simply have no ability to believe. I think that the message of Christ (Do unto to others, turn the other cheek, best the best you can, etc.) is a great life model and are a great code to live your life by. I cannot and will not live by anything which promotes the subjugation of women, lays down out-dated and socially backwards laws to live by, which for me, all religions do. Religions are a hark back to when science was unknown and the world needed explanations for things, so they turned to creating stories, as humanity has done so brilliantly, artistically and wonderfully all through its existence. However, once the world came to science, for me the stoies should have stopped and become wonderful tales, as the old religions have in Australia, but due to the supression of certain sciences in the middle ages, particularly by the Vatican (which had an invested interest in kep the world dumb), the stories remained and the populations of the world were spread messages of fear that has kept the world with a religious population for over a millenium.

This is my personal view and I do not intend to attck anyone with it (except the paedophile-riddled, law-breaking, population-controlling, self-serving Vatican). If a religion gives some a piece of mind, then they are welcome to it. And I wil never begrudge them a secure thought and a moral code to live by.

What does offend me are over-bearing religious zealots who preach and sermonise about their belief. I find it insulting and very offensive. A belief and a faith are very personal things, or they are supposed to be. They belong to you and there is no need to pour them onto someone else. I find it very insulting when someone tries to tell me that a man really lived inside a whale's stomach or that the universe was created in 6 days by a great ethereal being. I find that offensive.

But am I offend by anyone's own individual beliefs that on't affect me, give someone peace of mind and give them a great moral code to live by? Absolutely not.

Am I offended by people preaching their ideals, telling me how to live my life and trying to strike the fear of eternal damnation into me? Yes, that offends me.

Also, just saying, under Christianity, Islam and Judaism, this website is sinful and goes against the words of the Gods and all women on here should be stoned and any homosexual men should be castrated.

The Doctor

~ "Oh, now what's this, then? I love this. A big, flashy-lighty thing. That's what brought me here. Big, flashy-lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually, but give me time... and a crayon.”

~ “I'd forgotten not all victories are about saving the universe.”

~ “900 years of time and space and I’ve never met anyone who wasn’t important.”

~ “I am, and always will be, the optimist. The hoper of far-flung hopes, and the dreamer of improbable dreams.”
Monocle
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 5:27:12 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 2/19/2007
Posts: 286
Magma_Boils_333 wrote:
The laws that we follow are founded on the 10 commandments.

Actually they're not. There's no prohibition on idolatry, pantheism, or taking any god's name in vain. You don't even have to, by law 'honor' your parents beyond the age of majority.

As far as 'time to bury god', those of faith never will, even if ordered to, just like an atheist's faith would always be false if forced to profess it. The time will only ever come for people who willingly conclude the concept should be laid aside.
Guest
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 5:32:54 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 473,578
Monocle wrote:

Actually they're not. There's no prohibition on idolatry, pantheism, or taking any god's name in vain. You don't even have to, by law 'honor' your parents beyond the age of majority.

As far as 'time to bury god', those of faith never will, even if ordered to, just like an atheist's faith would always be false if forced to profess it. The time will only ever come for people who willingly conclude the concept should be laid aside.


I did not say that it was ALL the commandments, you are not allowed to kill or steal, people have picked and chosen what they wanted to follow because humans have free will.

It is true there are religious zealots who annoy everyone and try to shove their views on everyone, but there are also atheists who try to shove their views on other people and are just as, if not more annoying. There are idiots on both ends of the spectrum.
doctorlove
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 5:50:29 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 9/11/2012
Posts: 500
Location: United States
Nope...."I'm not the one going to hell" Seinfeld episode. One of Elaine's boyfriends said this to her and the subject you have here made me think of it.
Nghtfox
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 5:56:16 PM

Rank: Advanced Wordsmith

Joined: 11/24/2013
Posts: 86
Location: Where Happiness Follows, United States
If there was no God, there would be no atheists....

No, It does not offend me.
dpw
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 5:57:35 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 9/15/2013
Posts: 2,729
Location: Liverpool, United Kingdom
Magma_Boils_333 wrote:


I did not say that it was ALL the commandments, you are not allowed to kill or steal


That's not strictly true, there's the death penalty, "justifiable homicide" and war. There's nationalisation and I think the USA call it Eminent domain.
stephanie
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 5:59:44 PM

Rank: Bohemian

Joined: 1/1/2010
Posts: 4,620
Location: Dublin, Ire., Ireland
Monocle wrote:

Actually they're not. There's no prohibition on idolatry, pantheism, or taking any god's name in vain. You don't even have to, by law 'honor' your parents beyond the age of majority.

As far as 'time to bury god', those of faith never will, even if ordered to, just like an atheist's faith would always be false if forced to profess it. The time will only ever come for people who willingly conclude the concept should be laid aside.


(????????!!!!!)

I refer you to the CHRISTIAN Ten Commandments...

Where there IS a "prohibition on idolatry, pantheism, or taking any god's name in vain..."

And ATHEISTS don't rely on FAITH!!!!!!

We believe that the concept of FAITH is that of belief without proof or real purpose!

More of this please for you are supporting my argument.

xx SF





"I'm a writer... Honesty is not my first language..." (Stephen Flashman)
Highwayman
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 6:06:19 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 10/10/2012
Posts: 1,498
"That which can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof." Hitchens

The worst atrocities of people against people is backed by religion and faith, the most beautiful actions toward one another have nothing to do with either of them. me.

The two most prevailing real time arguments once I've said that are slavery, and Hitler.

Okay, so slavery. A bunch of white guys who believe their god is king, see a bunch of black people who have no churches and do not believe in one god as beneath them. Add some wrongful epithets to them and there you go. Use them, abuse them, and let everyone else feel better about it especially since it brings in cash.

Hitler. I assume most will cling onto this one as has been done before in real time. So, Hitler took his upbringing and fused it with his maniacal stance to be asserted against Judeo-Christian faith, and with a supposed Aryan race made it into what our fellow human beings faced in the early part of the last century.

Humans cling to that which is presumed higher than oneself. It allows dictates and mandates to be handed down with a little ease of being excluded from its wrath. "You can't judge me." As for laws and morality, first you had the bible, obtuse and prone to definition and interpretation, and now you have statutes, obtuse and prone to interpretation.





‎"The true mystery of the world is the visible, not the invisible." --Wilde
Guest
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 6:19:36 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 473,578
I am not a deeply religious person but I know people for whom religion has shaped and influenced their life as their gender or sexual identity. I would not attack any atheist views because I believe that people are free to believe what they will. Just like I would not attack the views of a budist or catholic. This thread is filled with hate and I liken it to the dark part of the internet that bashes gays and alternative lifestyles. Stephanie is at liberty to say she is an atheist, but in my view, the rest of that post was unnecessary. You cannot state your opinion like it is a fact and say you believe that people should bury God, you can disguise it as you will, but anyway you read it, it comes off as you pushing your opinion onto people, not stating it.

And I believe that symbol someone posted above of a cross being blocked off is just as offensive as one with a rainbow in a circle being crossed off. People's interpretation of religious text have been altered and reshaped as time has gone on. You can say that the world would be a better place without religion, but I believe it would be even worse if people did not have something to believe in or a higher power to guide them.

Religion forms a major part of some people's lives, just like sexual or gender identity does. This is like people saying that they think the world would be better without the LGBT community. Just because you don't like, understand or agree doesn't give you the right to get down on it. The atheists are free to believe what they want, we all have free will, but this religion bashing is just as bad as gender, orientation or race bashing and I find it sickening.
Knuffelbeer
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 6:33:20 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 8/6/2012
Posts: 346
Location: lonelyville , United States
I'm agnostic so I doubt that there is a god.I need proof not just a book written by different people. I'm sorry if that offends anybody.

stephanie
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 6:38:59 PM

Rank: Bohemian

Joined: 1/1/2010
Posts: 4,620
Location: Dublin, Ire., Ireland
BigJay23 wrote:
I'm agnostic so I doubt that there is a god.I need proof not just a book written by different people. I'm sorry if that offends anybody.


Offend EVERYBODY...

(It gets things done...)

xx SF

"I'm a writer... Honesty is not my first language..." (Stephen Flashman)
dpw
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 6:40:32 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 9/15/2013
Posts: 2,729
Location: Liverpool, United Kingdom
Magma_Boils_333 wrote:
I am not a deeply religious person but I know people for whom religion has shaped and influenced their life as their gender or sexual identity. I would not attack any atheist views because I believe that people are free to believe what they will. Just like I would not attack the views of a budist or catholic. This thread is filled with hate and I liken it to the dark part of the internet that bashes gays and alternative lifestyles. Stephanie is at liberty to say she is an atheist, but in my view, the rest of that post was unnecessary. You cannot state your opinion like it is a fact and say you believe that people should bury God, you can disguise it as you will, but anyway you read it, it comes off as you pushing your opinion onto people, not stating it.

And I believe that symbol someone posted above of a cross being blocked off is just as offensive as one with a rainbow in a circle being crossed off. People's interpretation of religious text have been altered and reshaped as time has gone on. You can say that the world would be a better place without religion, but I believe it would be even worse if people did not have something to believe in or a higher power to guide them.

The atheists are free to believe what they want, we all have free will, but this religion bashing is just as bad as gender or race bashing and I find it sickening.

The problem is that religions have been doing that very thing for thousands of years but when it's done to them it's offensive, I don't get that. This is nothing like homophobia or racism in fact it's the opposite, it's more like atheism fighting for its' right to be heard.
You say that you find that sign of ban the cross offensive but what about all the people who find the cross offensive or don't they matter?
Guest
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 6:44:13 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 473,578
dpw wrote:

The problem is that religions have been doing that very thing for thousands of years but when it's done to them it's offensive, I don't get that. This is nothing like homophobia or racism in fact it's the opposite, it's more like atheism fighting for its' right to be heard.
You say that you find that sign of ban the cross offensive but what about all the people who find the cross offensive or don't they matter?


Nobody is saying the atheists are wrong or don't have the right to voice their opinions, but when they start attacking the views of others, I believe that is wrong. Many people claim to be offended by gay pride and the symbols attached to it. Are you going to apply the same logic?
Highwayman
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 6:59:55 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 10/10/2012
Posts: 1,498
As usual, the dance ensues with passive elusive commentary.

Attack: criticize somebody or something: to subject somebody or something to strong or vehement criticism.

Criticism: assessment of creative work: considered judgment of or discussion about the qualities of something, especially a creative work.



‎"The true mystery of the world is the visible, not the invisible." --Wilde
dpw
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 7:01:48 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 9/15/2013
Posts: 2,729
Location: Liverpool, United Kingdom
Magma_Boils_333 wrote:


Nobody is saying the atheists are wrong or don't have the right to voice their opinions, but when they start attacking the views of others, I believe that is wrong. Many people claim to be offended by gay pride and the symbols attached to it. Are you going to apply the same logic?

I don't understand what you're trying to say about gay pride symbols. If you mean the rainbow flag, I'm sure lots of people are offended by it but that's the same as the ban the cross symbol. If people are offended looking at it don't look. Religions attack atheists they even attack other religions so why shouldn't atheists fight back. They are simply following a course laid out many years ago.
Guest
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 7:07:43 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 473,578
dpw wrote:

I don't understand what you're trying to say about gay pride symbols. If you mean the rainbow flag, I'm sure lots of people are offended by it but that's the same as the ban the cross symbol. If people are offended looking at it don't look. Religions attack atheists they even attack other religions so why shouldn't atheists fight back. They are simply following a course laid out many years ago.


Two wrongs don't make a right. What was the point of someone posting anti religious symbols here? What if I started posting anti atheist symbols or slogans? I believe I read somewhere on this site that hate speech is not allowed and many of the comments aimed at religion here can be called hate speech. I did not attack any atheists views, I have said that they can believe what they want, and I respect their right to do so, why should they be allowed to attack my views and something that plays a large role in the lives of millions of people?

Guest
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 7:11:44 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 473,578
It doesn't offend me in the slightest. One of my friends is an atheist, but she comes at it from a different angle from you. She sees it as more of a scientific thing. Like she can't prove the existence (or non existence) of a supreme deity, so she just doesn't believe. Also, she does live life by Christian values, but not by the bible. There is one way you differ radically and that is that you seem to be extreme about it. This isn't a criticism, in fact it is an compliment. Having something that you fastidiously believe in is pretty damned good, pardon the pun. I can't help but think that atheism is a religion though, which, if you think about this one meaning (there are three):

Quote:
[count noun] a pursuit or interest followed with great devotion:


Well, yeah, atheism is a religion. You have devoted yourself to being an atheist, but in doing so, you're also practising a religion. It's pretty ironic, actually. Oh, by the way, I've had this discussion with my friend many times. It's funny, but we always seem to end up agreeing.
Users browsing this topic
Guest 


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS

Powered by Yet Another Forum.net version 1.9.1.6 (NET v4.0) - 11/14/2007
Copyright © 2003-2006 Yet Another Forum.net. All rights reserved.