Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

I Am An Atheist. (Does that offend you?) Options · View
Mazza
Posted: Friday, December 13, 2013 2:54:03 PM

WellMadeMale
Posted: Saturday, December 14, 2013 4:17:21 AM

Hotlink > The S#@t's Getting Weird Edition - White Santa and White Jesus

If ya can't beat 'em... pay someone to do it for you.
Posted: Saturday, December 14, 2013 11:31:32 PM

Stephanie you have believes, which I hope you will forgive me for saying, is your own religion. They are good feelings and show you are a good person. You don’t say anywhere that you don’t want others to believe as they wish, but that you want the freedom to believe as you do and not be forced by others into theirs. You show that you know the difference between right and wrong and that you believe in treating people with the same respect you expect them to show you. I wish more people, Atheists or not were more like you.

Many Atheists handle their belief as if it is a religion and any other belief is thought of as heresy. They can’t stand someone with a different belief and behave as if they are in the dark ages (which is how much of the world seems to be acting today) and want to have a crusade against the “non believers” so they force people to bend to their “religion”. They behave in the manner they say they hate. Forcing their belief on others and those I have no respect for.
LittleLuce
Posted: Sunday, December 15, 2013 3:24:39 PM

I'm not religious at all, I feel that religion is often a cold comfort for people who struggle with life's realities and problems. If that is indeed so, then I wish them all the best with that. My days events unfold according to the decisions that I or other people make who are involved with my life.
Yes I celebrate Christmas, not as a religious meaning but as a time for friends and family to get together. It's a lovely time that I treasure much and I'm quite happy to be surrounded by the religious aspect of it all.

InTears
Posted: Sunday, December 15, 2013 8:51:08 PM

ScottFord wrote:
Stephanie you have believes, which I hope you will forgive me for saying, is your own religion. They are good feelings and show you are a good person. You don’t say anywhere that you don’t want others to believe as they wish, but that you want the freedom to believe as you do and not be forced by others into theirs. You show that you know the difference between right and wrong and that you believe in treating people with the same respect you expect them to show you. I wish more people, Atheists or not were more like you.

Many Atheists handle their belief as if it is a religion and any other belief is thought of as heresy. They can’t stand someone with a different belief and behave as if they are in the dark ages (which is how much of the world seems to be acting today) and want to have a crusade against the “non believers” so they force people to bend to their “religion”. They behave in the manner they say they hate. Forcing their belief on others and those I have no respect for.

If I have a friend who believes in the Bigfoot, I will talk it out of there head. I just think people who believe in fairytales are not the smartest and I like my friends smart.

Secondly, atheism is not a religion, that's like not playing soccer is a hobby. What you are describing is an urge to discuss.
cooldaddy
Posted: Friday, December 20, 2013 3:46:31 AM

No, you being an Atheist doesn't offend me at all, as long as you don't try to shove it down my throat. If I believe in God, (which I don't) why should that offend you? Let's all live together and each believe whatever brings us comfort.

I still say "Bless you" when someone sneezes, and "Thank God" or "Thank Heaven" when something goes right. (I wont tell you what I say when it goes wrong, but it''s very short!)

Posted: Friday, December 20, 2013 9:25:18 AM

cooldaddy has made the point that I was trying to make to you. As long as no one tries to drive their religion down your throat or an atheist tries to jam their belief down your throat there is no problem. But some atheist demand that their belief is the only one and that they don't want people to practice or show their right to freedom of religion. When they force a cross off a hill, or say a holiday passed by Congress shouldn't be allowed, etc. that is being a bigot and forcing their belief which they preach like a religion onto others. If you don't like something, example Christmas, you don't have to take part in it. I'm more than happy to allow someone who doesn't want the holiday off to work in my place so I can have it off. I have no problem with someone who has a belief in a God or with someone that doesn't as long as they allow me to my own belief and don't try to destroy anyone. That is the trouble with the terrorist from the Middle East. They don't really believe in anything (they kill as many of their own people as they do ones they call non believers) but they say they are doing it in the name of God. You can't have respect for others if they don't want to show respect for you.
adagio_sabadicus
Posted: Friday, December 20, 2013 9:40:21 AM

You can be a head of lettuce if you want to. Regaeman Man

[
Yuzar
Posted: Friday, December 20, 2013 10:21:55 AM

adagio_sabadicus wrote:
You can be a head of lettuce if you want to. Regaeman Man
You can also dance if you want to.

Black & White I : My First Story
Domina I : Domina I
Soleillalune
Posted: Friday, December 20, 2013 10:50:07 AM

No it doesn't offend me. I'm a gemini, I know what persecution feels like evil4

Dancewithme
Posted: Friday, December 20, 2013 2:30:58 PM

People have fought wars, held the Inquisition, and many more things in the name of "God." Check out Fyodor Dostoyevsky's "The Brothers Karamazov."
No I am not offended by your atheism. But don't use it against me in turn.

Talent is god given be humble. Fame is man given be thankful. Conceit is self given be careful.

John Wooden
UCLA basketball coach
Mazza
Posted: Saturday, December 21, 2013 6:02:04 AM

stephanie
Posted: Saturday, December 21, 2013 5:24:54 PM

This thread went crazier than I thought it would BUT...

In the spirit of the holiday...

May I wish every one of you peace and goodwill and may your chosen God, (respect to Him or Her) bless you all in the spirit of the season.

Happy Christmas everyone...

(no joke...)

Happy Christmas, fellow Lushies...

x Stephen

Imbecile! - de som empire
Si nos efforts te delevraient,
Tes baisers ressuseraient
Le cadavere de ton Wampyr! (Baudelaire.)
(I'll ATTEMPT a free translation...)
"Idiot! Even if our efforts were
To deliver you from Her empire,
Your kisses would bring back to life
The corpse of your beloved Vampire."
EVERYONE WHO SPEAKS FRENCH: "THat isn't quite correct..."
Posted: Saturday, December 21, 2013 7:21:19 PM

I must admit that I was greatly offended. Not by the original post but by most of what came after. I read each post and for the most part, sorry I did. What I've learned through this thread is that I would never talk religion in an open forum because no matter my beliefs, I'd be wrong so I will keep those beliefs to myself.
jollyjack
Posted: Sunday, December 22, 2013 11:03:50 AM

Totally agree with Kinky above.....let's have another beer / get laid - (delete as reqd)

My Karma just ran over your Dogma
Posted: Sunday, December 22, 2013 1:16:26 PM

stephanie wrote:

This thread went crazier than I thought it would BUT...

In the spirit of the holiday...

May I wish every one of you peace and goodwill and may your chosen God, (respect to Him or Her) bless you all in the spirit of the season.

Happy Christmas everyone...

(no joke...)

Happy Christmas, fellow Lushies...

x Stephen

Sweet Lady, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you.
silveranode
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2013 11:39:20 AM

Sword Fight Sword Fight Sword Fight Sword Fight Sword Fight
My 2 cents I'm either a lapsed agnostic or I've given up organised religion and gone back to god My 2 cents
grghrn
Posted: Friday, January 03, 2014 1:12:15 AM

LovelyKisses wrote:
If there was no God, there would be no atheists....

No, It does not offend me.
this is the best answer yet
Posted: Friday, January 03, 2014 4:39:24 AM

Should we be offended? In recent years the atheists have offended those who have beliefs, at the same level that are offended. So I say: There is an equality in intelligence, intolerance and stupidity.
mtcuber
Posted: Tuesday, January 07, 2014 6:24:22 AM

Oh Boy! Some say there is a deity, some say there isn't. No body knows for sure. However it seems as though the comfort of large numbers has sway. That is, if enough people believe that there is something greater than themselves and especially if this belief offers some solace and comfort, anyone who disparages this idea is going to find themselves in trouble. I think that religions have been a balm to desperate people whose lives are so abjectly hard that the idea of a better life after death [ignore the oxymoronic sense of this] is appealing. Over the years, a simple religious notion offering some relief was pounced upon by those who saw the power and control which could be obtained and acted on it. State controlled religions come to mind. It would seem that even today that many go about their lives without questioning the tenets of organized religions. It is easier and simpler and the whole family is church going..so why would you question that? The churches give to the poor don't they? They build beautiful edifices to their faith which can sweep away doubts and provide comfort. What's wrong with that? Well, if you have any sense of history, you know that organized religions really don't want competition and have an inclination to denigrating other faiths. I could have used 'ethnic cleansing' as aptly. I only refer you to the facts, how you interpret them through your bias-based lens [ we all have one] is up to you. Could we treat each other with equanimity without the burden of arguing over how many angels can be stacked on the head of a pin? I don't know and I don't hold much hope for a world full of people who let their reptilian brain component rule them. We all have reptilian brain components [call them what you will] the question is repeated and has been since our frontal lobes developed, what or how do you plan to get through this thing called 'life? After all, the only thing we can change is our own attitude. Embrace the 'Golden Rule' with clarity of thought and honesty and together all of us might turn a war loving world on its head. As long as we like the feeling that some level of rage provides, we are in trouble. Think about what I just said before you dismiss it as not applying to you. It is a fool who says that they could never kill......it is part of our survival skills and don't you forget it! Have a good day, enjoy your fellow humans and help them as you would want to be helped.
ginger86
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2014 2:56:57 PM

i have two questions and the first person to answer gets a gold star. if god created the world, where did god come from? everything is created somehow. But same for the big bang, if in the seconds before, there was nothing, what in the hell exploded and created this whole universe?

Monocle
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2014 3:57:59 PM

ginger86 wrote:
i have two questions and the first person to answer gets a gold star. if god created the world, where did god come from? everything is created somehow. But same for the big bang, if in the seconds before, there was nothing, what in the hell exploded and created this whole universe?

Answer 1 for the faithful is "God always existed", period. Answer 1 for those without faith is "God never existed".

Answer 2 for the faithful is "God". Answer 2 for those without faith is "We don't know, but not knowing everything doesn't scare us."
Mazza
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2014 4:06:04 PM

ginger86
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2014 4:10:54 PM

Monocle wrote:

Answer 1 for the faithful is "God always existed", period. Answer 1 for those without faith is "God never existed".

Answer 2 for the faithful is "God". Answer 2 for those without faith is "We don't know, but not knowing everything doesn't scare us."

well, that answered abosolutely nothing but thank you

Monocle
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2014 4:54:36 PM

ginger86 wrote:
well, that answered abosolutely nothing but thank you

Perhaps it answered nothing to your satisfaction, but it definitively answered both questions.
Ajax
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2014 1:46:07 AM

stephanie wrote:

I am an Atheist.

I don't believe in God. (He doesn't and has never existed.)

Raised as a Roman Catholic, from a very young age I questioned the tenets of not only THAT church, but also the notion of a God Head, an afterlife, the concept of a 'soul' as defined by religion, the notion of a Spiritual Architect of our Universe, Santa Claus and The Tooth Fairy.

I endeavor and I believe I succeed in living a moral life to the best of my capability, drawing upon in truth MANY of the beliefs of the Bible I read as a child, HOWEVER, I practice those beliefs NOT because they were 'sent to me by God' but because it is simply a humanistic way to live.

"Treat others as you would wish to be treated."

I believe organized religion in all its forms is delusional and fractious. I believe that the practice of ANY organized religion divides us as a species and leads to violence, mistrust, hate and disorder.

I believe that the TOTAL and utter rejection of partizan religions would enable and encourage us as human beings to discover a way to live together in harmony and peace and solidarity, free from dogma, superstition, prejudice and hatred.

I believe that it's time to BURY a God who never really existed in the first place and move together towards a more rewarding and fulfilling sense of humanity, based on logic, basic morality and goodwill to our brothers and sisters worldwide.

xx SF

With this we can surmize that that there aren't any mormons on Lush giggle

padfootthegreat
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2014 2:57:07 AM

I don't think anyone's religion should offend anyone because it's all about belief and faith, and if you truly believe in something, or in the case of atheism, you don't believe anything, then no one should judge you for that.

Check out my stories!
Dinner's Served [Stepfather/Stepdaughter]
[Taboo]
hayley
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2014 9:33:41 AM

silveranode wrote:
Sword Fight Sword Fight Sword Fight Sword Fight Sword Fight
My 2 cents I'm either a lapsed agnostic or I've given up organised religion and gone back to god My 2 cents

given up organised religion and gone back to god ...
utterly sensible... wow!

and no.. if u r an atheist I am not offended... surprised but not offended.
toydevil
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 9:44:27 AM

After explaining atheism to literally to hundreds of people most of which rewarded me with a frown and/or a lecture on religion I have a standard answer when asked:
Christians believe atheists know
asian2013
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 12:56:23 PM

why should it? i dont know you. haha.