Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

I Am An Atheist. (Does that offend you?) Options · View
JasonM
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 5:46:50 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 9/29/2013
Posts: 1,856
Location: Socailizing at the Club, United States
toydevil wrote:
After explaining atheism to literally to hundreds of people most of which rewarded me with a frown and/or a lecture on religion I have a standard answer when asked:
Christians believe atheists know


This strikes me as being very self-centered.

While I do not look to the Christian god, I do have my Deities (Yes, plural) who I KNOW have my interests at heart and supply me with something that I can not give myself. A feeling of peace that there is someone who will never leave, by any means, and is always there for me to talk to.

I do know several Atheists, and while they seem happy there always seems to be something lacking.

I don't know if that is the way for all, but I'd rather have "an imaginary friend" that I can always talk to than to be utterly alone in my soul.

"I'm not dark and moody, I just dress that way" - JM

A love poem : Dark Eyes - Now with audio recorded by myself
Another poem : Let Me Show You
A short story : Dark Knight, Shining Lady
My third poem : Morning Delight
My Competition Entry : Pain and Pleasure
BritRob
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2014 3:48:47 PM

Rank: Rookie Scribe

Joined: 11/11/2013
Posts: 8
Location: United Kingdom
Im an Atheist also. I don't believe that any of the gods throughout history have existed, this is different to believing that gods don't exist. Its that all the evidence given to prove they are real has all fallen way short of convincing me.

I don't have a problem with any bodies personal beliefs as long as they keep them personal, trying to teach religious doctrine as fact, treating women as second class citizens or any other countless ways that people use religion to control and dominate the masses should all be made a thing of the past.

“If you're not having fun, you're doing something wrong.” Groucho Marx
GreyHound
Posted: Friday, February 07, 2014 12:53:38 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 1/28/2014
Posts: 274
No, why should it?

smileofsatisfaction
Posted: Sunday, February 09, 2014 12:46:47 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 10/17/2013
Posts: 237
Location: Leicester, United Kingdom
No it doesn't. I'm spiritual but not religious.
Dreamer90
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2014 4:37:35 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 12/29/2013
Posts: 330
Location: Stuck in '68, Germany
Of course not. everybody has the right in his or her own believes. However your post made me think of something a much smarter person then myself once said.
Isn't it better to believe in god and be wrong then otherwise. If you believe and there is no god, nothing changes. But if you don't believe and there is, you go to hell.

Monocle
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2014 5:01:14 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 2/19/2007
Posts: 300
Dreamer90 wrote:
Isn't it better to believe in god and be wrong then otherwise. If you believe and there is no god, nothing changes. But if you don't believe and there is, you go to hell.


That only assumes one, very specific view of god and religion is true. There are countless religious concepts that have no hell, and countless others that assert that if you don't believe exactly the right thing, you go to their hell. So... no. It's not better to believe in something to 'cover you bases'. In fact belief for the sake of that, moth faiths would call pretty insincere. It'd be a pretty shallow god to be fooled or wooed by fake belief.
Guest
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2014 5:35:12 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 537,326
Oh, hell!

It would be better if it just came down for a drink, and we could talk it over.
NTEXXX
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 2:23:10 PM

Rank: Rookie Scribe

Joined: 1/29/2014
Posts: 1
Location: Fort Worth, United States
My big problem with Atheism is that there is so much that we do not know, yet most of the atheists that I have met seem to be so staunch in their belief that they forget that it is just a belief, in the same manner as Christianity. There is too much that we do not know, about how we came to be and why, for anyone to get obnoxious about their beliefs. And most of the Atheists I have met basically call me an idiot for my beliefs in my 'fairy tales' etc...

So no. I don't have any problem with Atheism, but I typically do have a problem with the Atheists that I know.

And to some of the posts that I have read.. Yes... Most religions have varying views about how to get to Heaven. But Christianity, in general, centers around the sacrifice of Christ and his resurrection. Just because there are some specifics does not mean that they are wrong. It simply means that if you follow a certain religion, you have some guidelines.
Guest
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2014 8:09:05 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 537,326
Don't care - as long as u r a nice person. That's all that matters.wave
Guest
Posted: Monday, June 23, 2014 10:07:09 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 537,326
I respect the beliefs of anyone who extends me the same courtesy. What you believe and how that dictates your actions is purely up to you. So long as you're not consciously and intentionally hurting others, then what you believe or feel is completely for you to decide.
BiMale73
Posted: Monday, June 23, 2014 10:45:33 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 7/4/2013
Posts: 418
Location: Basement
NTEXXX wrote:
There is too much that we do not know, about how we came to be and why, for anyone to get obnoxious about their beliefs. And most of the Atheists I have met basically call me an idiot for my beliefs in my 'fairy tales' etc...


For most atheists the not knowing is exactly the reason why they're atheist. We can all make up any explanation we like (all past and present religions), but as long as there is no evidence for it it makes no sense to believe it's true.

Twofish1way
Posted: Wednesday, June 25, 2014 3:22:39 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 1/28/2014
Posts: 542
Location: Maui, United States
No, it saddens me.

Are you sure you are an atheist? That means there is nothing beyond your body. No love, feeling of awe, gratitude, faith...? I would have said the same awhile back, but I found my own God. He is not the God one reads about in the bible (which is factually the #1 best seller on the fiction list always). God in everything I touch, breathe, eat, smell, love. I apologize BC I did not read your entire post. I will do so and post back if I feel I need to adjust my own post. I fear even posting this. Religion is one of those subjects that will induce passionate debate. If you are passionate enough to write the post I would think u to b a believer in something beyond yourself. God can be anything or anybody.
hungrywolf4u
Posted: Wednesday, June 25, 2014 5:20:20 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 5/21/2014
Posts: 296
Location: United States
stephanie wrote:


I am an Atheist.

I don't believe in God. (He doesn't and has never existed.)

Raised as a Roman Catholic, from a very young age I questioned the tenets of not only THAT church, but also the notion of a God Head, an afterlife, the concept of a 'soul' as defined by religion, the notion of a Spiritual Architect of our Universe, Santa Claus and The Tooth Fairy.

I endeavor and I believe I succeed in living a moral life to the best of my capability, drawing upon in truth MANY of the beliefs of the Bible I read as a child, HOWEVER, I practice those beliefs NOT because they were 'sent to me by God' but because it is simply a humanistic way to live.

"Treat others as you would wish to be treated."

I believe organized religion in all its forms is delusional and fractious. I believe that the practice of ANY organized religion divides us as a species and leads to violence, mistrust, hate and disorder.

I believe that the TOTAL and utter rejection of partizan religions would enable and encourage us as human beings to discover a way to live together in harmony and peace and solidarity, free from dogma, superstition, prejudice and hatred.

I believe that it's time to BURY a God who never really existed in the first place and move together towards a more rewarding and fulfilling sense of humanity, based on logic, basic morality and goodwill to our brothers and sisters worldwide.

xx SF



You do realize compared to just our puny universe you are smaller than the smallest speck on a flea. Yet you claim to have looked through it all and through all time, and that in your great wisdom you declare there is no God. It's so arrogant that it's laughable. If you want to claim that you don't know if there is a God (agnostic) I can totally respect that. On the other hand, only an ignorant arrogant person would or could just out of hand dismiss the millions of honest, sincere, intelligent people who claim they have personally connected with God. When you declare yourself and atheist you are calling them all incompetent or liars. No it doesn't offend me, it's just so arrogant I can't believe an intelligent person (I assume you are) would actually make the statement.
kiera
Posted: Wednesday, June 25, 2014 6:06:05 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 3/23/2013
Posts: 10,019
Location: sipping tea , United Kingdom
Doesn't bother me. Dad was Catholic . She bitch who birthed me was a Jahova's Witness...step mum + bitch was church of England.

So long As you Like star Wars Im not Bothered nor offended Whistle


BiMale73
Posted: Wednesday, June 25, 2014 7:54:40 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 7/4/2013
Posts: 418
Location: Basement
Twofish1way wrote:
Are you sure you are an atheist? That means there is nothing beyond your body. No love, feeling of awe, gratitude, faith...?

That's nonsense of course. Being an atheist only means not believing in the existence of any gods. There's no need for a god to feel love, awe or gratitude or to have faith in something.

Twofish1way wrote:
I would have said the same awhile back, but I found my own God. He is not the God one reads about in the bible (which is factually the #1 best seller on the fiction list always). God in everything I touch, breathe, eat, smell, love.

In regular discourse a god is an agent, a sentient being with a will. What you describe as your God is probably what other people would describe as some kind of spirituality, a feeling connected to the world around you. And there's nothing that prevents an atheist of feeling connected to the outside world, to nature.
Mixing the two up makes discussions very confusing. Einstein once did it in a famous quote of his (he used the word "God" for the grandiosity of nature) and nowadays there are still people who claim that he believed in God, based on that one quote. Even though there are many other quotes in which he clearly states that he does not believe in a god.

hungrywolf4u wrote:
You do realize compared to just our puny universe you are smaller than the smallest speck on a flea. Yet you claim to have looked through it all and through all time, and that in your great wisdom you declare there is no God. It's so arrogant that it's laughable.

People who claim that atheists are arrogant, because they don't believe in God, always crack me up. Atheist may be arrogant for a lot of reasons, but that one... really?
You're right that we're absolutely insignificant in the vastness of our universe, yet most God stories will tell you that all of this universe is made for us. And many of these stories will tell that "us" are made in the image of that one creator that's even greater than this immense universe. So, can you please tell me who's arrogant again?

hungrywolf4u wrote:
If you want to claim that you don't know if there is a God (agnostic) I can totally respect that.

FYI: agnosticism and atheism are not mutually exclusive. Most atheists are probably agnostic atheists and there are also many agnostic Christians.

hungrywolf4u wrote:
On the other hand, only an ignorant arrogant person would or could just out of hand dismiss the millions of honest, sincere, intelligent people who claim they have personally connected with God. When you declare yourself and atheist you are calling them all incompetent or liars.

Remember that everyone of us is atheist about most of the gods in the entire history of mankind. Atheists only go one god further.


ChuckEPoo
Posted: Wednesday, June 25, 2014 9:16:45 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 8/30/2013
Posts: 259
Location: Ventura, United States
No! It doesn't bother me in the least. I have a strong faith in Christ. Does that bother you? My faith brings me many positive things in my life. I promote the good news but don't force It at anyone. Scripture says to share with all that will listen, so if you won't listen I won't share. If you are an atheist, it is your free will to do so. If it makes you happy in your unbelief, good for you. We are still free to believe what ever we want, or in your case to not believe.

The way I see it we both get what we believe. I believe that faith in Jesus Christ brings eternal life. You believe there is nothing after death. You get nothing. We both get what we believe. How perfect is that?
HeraTeleia
Posted: Wednesday, June 25, 2014 9:34:20 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 1/25/2014
Posts: 437
Location: Canada
Nope. Doesn't matter to me if you're an atheist.

My first story, a Recommended Read: http://www.lushstories.com/stories/flash-erotica/my-favourite-word.aspx

Want it all? Masturbation, exhibitionism, seduction, and of course, sex? Read "Tension", a Recommended Read: http://www.lushstories.com/stories/straight-sex/tension-1.aspx
She
Posted: Wednesday, June 25, 2014 9:36:22 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 3/24/2010
Posts: 2,160
Location: Europe
BiMale73 wrote:

Remember that everyone of us is atheist about most of the gods in the entire history of mankind. Atheists only go one god further.


evil4
BethanyFrasier
Posted: Wednesday, June 25, 2014 9:36:41 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 5/15/2014
Posts: 300
Location: Land of Legend, south of the Firelands, United Sta
Neither atheists nor believers offend me per se, but many atheists, like most believers toss these terms around without really sharing a common understanding of what encompasses the teleological differences in their positions. In philosophy (epistemology to be precise), there is a distinction between belief, true-belief, and knowledge. Believers in religion claim they know God exists. Atheists claim he doesn't. But the latter position is just as presumptuous as is religious belief, for neither side can know. It is not even a valid question for there is no empirical evidence which can be presented to support either position. Philosophically, there is no difference whatsoever between an imperceptible God and no God at all. So the only reality-based position is that of the agnostic, who affirms that there is no valid question to resolve for it cannot be known, so both atheism and theism are unsupportable beliefs. Only the agnostic (Moi!) is right! THERE! Have I offended everybody? :-)
Aletheia
Posted: Wednesday, June 25, 2014 10:36:31 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 7/5/2012
Posts: 275
Location: Through the Looking Glass, United States
Only if you'd like it to!
Aletheia
Posted: Wednesday, June 25, 2014 10:36:42 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 7/5/2012
Posts: 275
Location: Through the Looking Glass, United States
Only if you'd like it to!
Guest
Posted: Wednesday, June 25, 2014 10:41:59 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 537,326
Doesn't really bother me, have a lot of atheist friends as well as a lot from other faiths. Only part that offends me is the constant asking if it offends me..
Twofish1way
Posted: Wednesday, June 25, 2014 11:46:50 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 1/28/2014
Posts: 542
Location: Maui, United States
BiMale73 wrote:

Remember that everyone of us is atheist about most of the gods in the entire history of mankind. Atheists only go one god further.
Atheism is, in a broad sense, the rejection of belief in the existence of deities.[1][2] In a narrower sense, atheism is specifically the position that there are no deities.[3][4][5] Most inclusively, atheism is the absence of belief that any deities exist.[4][5][6][7] Atheism is contrasted with theism,[8][9] which in its most general form is the belief that at least one deity exists.[9][10]

"The term atheism originated from the Greek ἄθεος (atheos), meaning "without god(s)", used as a pejorative term applied to those thought to reject the gods worshipped by the larger society. With the spread of freethought, skeptical inquiry, and subsequent increase in criticism of religion, application of the term narrowed in scope. The first individuals to identify themselves using the word "atheist" lived in the 18th century.[11]

Arguments for atheism range from the philosophical to social and historical approaches. Rationales for not believing in any supernatural deity include the lack of empirical evidence,[12][13] the problem of evil, the argument from inconsistent revelations, rejection of concepts which cannot be falsified, and the argument from nonbelief.[12][14] Although some atheists have adopted secular philosophies,[15][16] there is no one ideology or set of behaviors to which all atheists adhere.[17] Many atheists hold that atheism is a more parsimonious worldview than theism, and therefore the burden of proof lies not on the atheist to disprove the existence of God, but on the theist to provide a rationale for theism.[18]

Atheism is accepted within some religious and spiritual belief systems, including Hinduism, Jainism, Buddhism, Raelism, Neopagan movements[19] such as Wicca,[20] and nontheistic religions. Jainism and some forms of Buddhism do not advocate belief in gods,[21] whereas Hinduism holds atheism to be valid, but some schools view the path of an atheist to be difficult to follow in matters of spirituality.[22]"

It is unkind to call one's belief/thoughts nonsense. I believe karma to be proven, so I worry not. Other than that, I do not pardon my connection to the universe and mother nature as anything less than a connection to something far greater than myself, which in my world (the only one I care about ultimately) is equatable to a belief in god. God is subjective, why even offer opinion really. Because it is hard not keeping quiet? It is no concern of anybody's what one believes or disbelieves. Why even put it out there really?Just saying.
Twofish1way
Posted: Thursday, June 26, 2014 12:01:24 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 1/28/2014
Posts: 542
Location: Maui, United States
[quote=BiMale73]

For most atheists the not knowing is exactly the reason why they're atheist. We can all make up any explanation we like (all past and present religions), but as long as there is no evidence for it it makes no sense to believe it's true.[/quote
Agnostics don't believe bc there is not enough evidence for them to adhere. Atheism is completely not believing. So, if God was proven, would you believe? And in what? What if every belief is true? Still an atheist? Surely an agnostic would change their mind, but would an atheist? Like to see that happen.
evidence + belief= faith. Faith brings us things. How do you explain that? Mind control...maybe.
jp_275
Posted: Thursday, June 26, 2014 12:47:27 AM

Rank: Rookie Scribe

Joined: 9/22/2011
Posts: 6
Location: Australia
Twofish1way wrote:
God is subjective, why even offer opinion really. Because it is hard not keeping quiet? It is no concern of anybody's what one believes or disbelieves. Why even put it out there really?Just saying.


I think it is incredibly important to 'put it out there' and discuss beliefs. Peter Hitchens (a Christian) called the belief that Jesus rose from the dead as the most dangerous idea in society as it radically changes the way we view this world. The God of the Bible gave us objective proof of himself when his son Jesus came down to earth, as we now have historical proof of his life, death and resurrection. Thus faith in Christianity cannot merely be subjective. If its claims are false and Jesus is not the Son of God then countless people are wasting their lives glorifying an imaginary god. But if it is true then it alters everything. Those who do not believe are facing judgment and it is the duty of those who know the truth to warn them of this. In my view we need to keep having debates on this matter, albeit in a rational, civilised and tolerant way.

Love to know what others think of my views on this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVEM2y-NhRo
Sol_Invictus
Posted: Thursday, June 26, 2014 1:28:35 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 11/3/2010
Posts: 125
Location: Somwhere between Orion and the North Star, United
Atheism is just another form of faith. Remember, absence of proof isn't proof of absence.
stephanie
Posted: Thursday, June 26, 2014 8:06:39 AM

Rank: Bohemian

Joined: 1/1/2010
Posts: 4,871
Location: Dublin, Ire., Ireland
hungrywolf4u wrote:


You do realize compared to just our puny universe you are smaller than the smallest speck on a flea. Yet you claim to have looked through it all and through all time, and that in your great wisdom you declare there is no God. It's so arrogant that it's laughable. If you want to claim that you don't know if there is a God (agnostic) I can totally respect that. On the other hand, only an ignorant arrogant person would or could just out of hand dismiss the millions of honest, sincere, intelligent people who claim they have personally connected with God. When you declare yourself and atheist you are calling them all incompetent or liars. No it doesn't offend me, it's just so arrogant I can't believe an intelligent person (I assume you are) would actually make the statement.


Well, actually I'm NOT saying that. I am stating what I BELIEVE. Everyone else is free to differ. I have come across many wonderful people in my life who claim a connection with "God" be they Christian, Muslim or Jew. I stated what I Believe. At no point did I criticize ANYONE else for NOT agreeing.

xx Steph

Imbecile! - de som empire
Si nos efforts te delevraient,
Tes baisers ressuseraient
Le cadavere de ton Wampyr! (Baudelaire.)
(I'll ATTEMPT a free translation...)
"Idiot! Even if our efforts were
To deliver you from Her empire,
Your kisses would bring back to life
The corpse of your beloved Vampire."
EVERYONE WHO SPEAKS FRENCH: "THat isn't quite correct..."
Dani
Posted: Thursday, June 26, 2014 8:22:11 AM

Rank: Big-Haired Bitch

Joined: 12/25/2010
Posts: 4,675
Location: Under Your Bed, United States
Twofish1way wrote:
BiMale73 wrote:


For most atheists the not knowing is exactly the reason why they're atheist. We can all make up any explanation we like (all past and present religions), but as long as there is no evidence for it it makes no sense to believe it's true.


Agnostics don't believe bc there is not enough evidence for them to adhere. Atheism is completely not believing. So, if God was proven, would you believe? And in what? What if every belief is true? Still an atheist? Surely an agnostic would change their mind, but would an atheist? Like to see that happen.
evidence + belief= faith. Faith brings us things. How do you explain that? Mind control...maybe.


So...is it not enough for you to have faith in something? Do you HAVE to challenge someone's non-belief? I understand that most religions follow the belief of spreading the message (some by force), but at some point you have to back off and let people live as they choose, right?

I doubt copying a pasting a Wikipedia article is gonna persuade anyone to abandon their belief system (or lack thereof).



Baby put your arms around me, tell me I'm a problem...

Dani
Posted: Thursday, June 26, 2014 8:30:18 AM

Rank: Big-Haired Bitch

Joined: 12/25/2010
Posts: 4,675
Location: Under Your Bed, United States
hungrywolf4u wrote:
On the other hand, only an ignorant arrogant person would or could just out of hand dismiss the millions of honest, sincere, intelligent people who claim they have personally connected with God. When you declare yourself and atheist you are calling them all incompetent or liars.


Are you saying one should base one's belief in God on another's experience instead of their own?

I hate papaya. Just the smell of it makes my mouth fill with saliva like it does right before I puke and I immediately get nauseous. I'm sure there are millions of honest, sincere, intelligent people who love papaya and have had great experiences with it. Is my aversion to papaya an insult to the intelligence, competency, and sincerity of these people?

There are many honest, intelligent, and sincere people who live without electricity or internet or everyday amenities like indoor plumbing. I'm not talking about the ones who do so because they have no choice. I'm talking about the people who CHOOSE to live this way because they find it more fulfilling. Are those of us that do enjoy those things insulting their intelligence and integrity? No. We're just rejecting their way of life.



Baby put your arms around me, tell me I'm a problem...

gossamer
Posted: Thursday, June 26, 2014 11:42:22 AM

Rank: Rookie Scribe

Joined: 11/21/2011
Posts: 2
Location: United States
To quote Blaise Pascal. “Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.” One doesn't have to look far to see what intolerance and a single-minded focus on 'mine is the only truth' does to our humanity. I do not know if there's a God. Should such a supreme being exist, he (or she) weeps over our propensity to kill and destroy in his name.
Users browsing this topic
Guest 


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS

Powered by Yet Another Forum.net version 1.9.1.6 (NET v4.0) - 11/14/2007
Copyright © 2003-2006 Yet Another Forum.net. All rights reserved.