Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

I Am An Atheist. (Does that offend you?) Options · View
JasonM
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 5:46:50 PM

toydevil wrote:
After explaining atheism to literally to hundreds of people most of which rewarded me with a frown and/or a lecture on religion I have a standard answer when asked:
Christians believe atheists know

This strikes me as being very self-centered.

While I do not look to the Christian god, I do have my Deities (Yes, plural) who I KNOW have my interests at heart and supply me with something that I can not give myself. A feeling of peace that there is someone who will never leave, by any means, and is always there for me to talk to.

I do know several Atheists, and while they seem happy there always seems to be something lacking.

I don't know if that is the way for all, but I'd rather have "an imaginary friend" that I can always talk to than to be utterly alone in my soul.

"I'm not dark and moody, I just dress that way" - JM

A love poem : Dark Eyes - Now with audio recorded by myself
Another poem : Let Me Show You
A short story : Dark Knight, Shining Lady
My third poem : Morning Delight
My Competition Entry : Pain and Pleasure
BritRob
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2014 3:48:47 PM

Im an Atheist also. I don't believe that any of the gods throughout history have existed, this is different to believing that gods don't exist. Its that all the evidence given to prove they are real has all fallen way short of convincing me.

I don't have a problem with any bodies personal beliefs as long as they keep them personal, trying to teach religious doctrine as fact, treating women as second class citizens or any other countless ways that people use religion to control and dominate the masses should all be made a thing of the past.

“If you're not having fun, you're doing something wrong.” Groucho Marx
GreyHound
Posted: Friday, February 07, 2014 12:53:38 AM

No, why should it?

smileofsatisfaction
Posted: Sunday, February 09, 2014 12:46:47 PM

No it doesn't. I'm spiritual but not religious.
Dreamer90
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2014 4:37:35 PM

Of course not. everybody has the right in his or her own believes. However your post made me think of something a much smarter person then myself once said.
Isn't it better to believe in god and be wrong then otherwise. If you believe and there is no god, nothing changes. But if you don't believe and there is, you go to hell.

Monocle
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2014 5:01:14 PM

Dreamer90 wrote:
Isn't it better to believe in god and be wrong then otherwise. If you believe and there is no god, nothing changes. But if you don't believe and there is, you go to hell.

That only assumes one, very specific view of god and religion is true. There are countless religious concepts that have no hell, and countless others that assert that if you don't believe exactly the right thing, you go to their hell. So... no. It's not better to believe in something to 'cover you bases'. In fact belief for the sake of that, moth faiths would call pretty insincere. It'd be a pretty shallow god to be fooled or wooed by fake belief.
Highwayman
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2014 5:35:12 PM

Oh, hell!

It would be better if it just came down for a drink, and we could talk it over.

‎"The true mystery of the world is the visible, not the invisible." --Wilde
NTEXXX
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 2:23:10 PM

My big problem with Atheism is that there is so much that we do not know, yet most of the atheists that I have met seem to be so staunch in their belief that they forget that it is just a belief, in the same manner as Christianity. There is too much that we do not know, about how we came to be and why, for anyone to get obnoxious about their beliefs. And most of the Atheists I have met basically call me an idiot for my beliefs in my 'fairy tales' etc...

So no. I don't have any problem with Atheism, but I typically do have a problem with the Atheists that I know.

And to some of the posts that I have read.. Yes... Most religions have varying views about how to get to Heaven. But Christianity, in general, centers around the sacrifice of Christ and his resurrection. Just because there are some specifics does not mean that they are wrong. It simply means that if you follow a certain religion, you have some guidelines.
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2014 8:09:05 PM

Don't care - as long as u r a nice person. That's all that matters.wave