Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

I Am An Atheist. (Does that offend you?) Options · View
Willyc2licu
Posted: Monday, December 02, 2013 7:14:55 AM

I realise that there is one other thing I wish to say -0 and that is about the Church and its attitude to women (and thus, I believe to sexuality).

In the Old Testament, the spirit of God, or to give it the term employed by OT writers, the Wisdom of God, was a female principle. There were many important women in the early Church - not only mary the mother of Jesus (not a virgin - read Isaiah chapter 7 again and you will see that what he says is that "a young woman is with child", and Mary Magdalene, but also Roman-Greek women such as Lydia. Women were also the first witnesses to the Resurrection to speak about it, although the men didn't believe them - so what has changed over 2,000 years. Somewhere in the second century AD things changed, the Holy Spirit became referred to as male, and when Constantine adopted Christianity as the official religion of the Western Roman Empire, the structure of the Church began to be totally male dominated, and women were seen as inferior and intrinsically sinful unless they remained virgins. This might have been a reaction to the various goddess cults around such figures as Artemis or Isis, although the cult of the Virgin probably evolved deliberately to take over these goddess cults.

It is only within the past 30 years that this imbalance and denigration of women has started to change - predominantly in those denominations which do not hold to a theory of the priesthood as men set aside by God, but have reverted to the idea of the priesthood of all believers. The turmoil within the Church of England, first over female priests and now female bishops is a symptom of this fundamental flaw in the structure of the Church. I believe that things will change and that soon women will be seen to be equal in all respects (though the secular world of business still doesn't think so - think about the glass ceiling and equal pay). The same fundamentally flawed attitudes are also evident in the resistance to same sex marriages (not civil partnerships) and homosexuality - the Church of England still believes that homosexual men should be celibate, which is totally unnatural and even immoral, and through its suppression of sexulaity the root cause behins child abuse and paedophilia in the Church.

Inseminating Sandy - Susie initiates Sandy into the pleasures of a threesome
A Tale of Two Threesomes

LadyX
Posted: Monday, December 02, 2013 8:11:43 AM

SereneProdigy wrote:

Anyway, which one(s) would interest you? I think 'What are your personal beliefs?' would be interesting as some kind of preresquite, so that people could express their personal conceptions without any hostilities.

I think that one's great. :)
Archadia
Posted: Monday, December 02, 2013 9:28:20 AM

CleverFox wrote:

I feel that way about people in general but because the thread subject is atheists I said atheist. The wording wasn't wrong so don't bother with an apology.

I thought you weren't going to reply to me?

Also, I love winding people up.

That itself shows what kind of person you are. Theres a difference between teasing and making fun of somebody and having a laugh/banter, to winding people up and pissing them off, for your own personal entertainment.

You may as well just have said "I enjoy ruining other peoples day, because it makes me feel good."
Dani
Posted: Monday, December 02, 2013 9:49:10 AM

Archadia wrote:

That itself shows what kind of person you are. Theres a difference between teasing and making fun of somebody and having a laugh/banter, to winding people up and pissing them off, for your own personal entertainment.

You may as well just have said "I enjoy ruining other peoples day, because it makes me feel good."

There are people exactly like this, as you've stated. I call them 'life trolls'. Some aren't courteous enough to own up to it, though. So that's always a bonus.

But they can only ruin your day and piss you off if you let them. Don't give people more of your energy than they deserve. My 2 cents

Baby put your arms around me, tell me I'm a problem...

ByronLord
Posted: Monday, December 02, 2013 11:58:24 AM

SereneProdigy wrote:

I don't know where you got your information from, but Evolutionary Psychology is nothing more than the study of behaviors and mental faculties from an evolutionary perspective. Just like evolutionary theories in general study why and how species adapt, evolutionary psychology studies why and how such faculties develop through evolution.

It doesn't support eugenics more than evolutionary theories in general do.

Also the term 'Freudians' is quite dated. Few psychologists today rely only on the ideas of Freud ; most in fact reject them.

That was the point, people reject Freud and eugenics because it is pseudo science.

When skeptics are talking about Evo Psych they are referring to one particular school which tries to 'explain' results of modern day psychology experiments in exclusively evolutionary terms. So they ignore all the social and cultural factors that might have led to the result and instead make up a 'just so' story on the African Savannah.

The studies are junk because there is no way to separate out biological and cultural effects rigorously and there is no way to test the purported evolutionary cause. Moreover the claim that adaptation effectively ended 100,000 years ago has been repeatedly debunked.

There are some very broad evolutionary adaptations that are generally accepted as valid but none that are unique to Homo Sapiens. So parental investment theory that supposes a female mammal has a greater interest in mate selection than a male seems sound but that theory applies to rats, mice, cats, dogs, etc. not just humans.

Every powerful theory attracts cranks and charlatans. They are just easier to dismiss in physics than biology.

CleverFox
Posted: Monday, December 02, 2013 3:12:13 PM

Archadia wrote:

Aren't your personal attacks on me a bit off topic? You can always send them to me in a private message.

I am not ruining your day.
BiMale73
Posted: Monday, December 02, 2013 6:37:03 PM

ByronLord wrote:
Actually the death and rape threats only started after he intervened but it was already nasty. He knows what his words incited and he hasn't said a thing since. So he is responsible regardless of what his original intentions might have been.

He shows time and time again to be surprised what his words bring about. I find it more reasonable to think that he was unpleasantly surprised by the response he got and the direction the debate was heading that he decided to refrain from any more comments. I can even imagine that some people close to him advised him no to respond anymore.
But even if he knew what the outcome would be then still he would be only responsible for his own actions, right? Not for the rape and death threats made by others.

BiMale73
Posted: Monday, December 02, 2013 7:22:27 PM

angieseroticpen wrote:
If there is no God and the Bible is a lie then I have lost nothing in my wrong belief. BUT, if there is a God and the Bible is true then YOU have lost everything!

ByronLord
Posted: Monday, December 02, 2013 10:00:31 PM

BiMale73 wrote:
He shows time and time again to be surprised what his words bring about. I find it more reasonable to think that he was unpleasantly surprised by the response he got and the direction the debate was heading that he decided to refrain from any more comments. I can even imagine that some people close to him advised him no to respond anymore.
But even if he knew what the outcome would be then still he would be only responsible for his own actions, right? Not for the rape and death threats made by others.

Really? If I knew someone in that situation my strong recommendation would be to clear up any misunderstanding and retract immediately and condemn the people threatening violence. It is not as if his 'Dear Muslima' post was particularly insightful and the anti-muslim sentiments he expresses are borderline racist in any case.

He is certainly guilty of an act of omission here if not outright commission. I find his behavior inexcusable. More to the point, so does much of the atheist community at this point.

ByronLord
Posted: Monday, December 02, 2013 10:07:47 PM

BiMale73 wrote:

While Homer's response is apposite, Pascal's original contention was that he would lose nothing through a belief in God.

I find the claim false because belief is not a voluntary process, it is not a choice. To claim the existence of a deity that can create a Universe as large as ours and then spend time tormenting souls over some egotistical issue like that seems completely illogical.

But the bigger problem is that the consequence of such a belief is to spend one's life bowing and scraping to priests and/or other self appointed intermediaries of said deity which seems equally ridiculous. Why would God set up a git like L Ron Hubbard as his sole representative on earth? Does the length of time for which claims of that kind have been made make them any more credible? Not to me.

DLizze
Posted: Monday, December 02, 2013 10:49:17 PM

Mazza wrote:

Best post in this thread..

Let's throw in some gun/no gun chat and make it really nauseating....

I am an agnostic, but I celebrate Christmas as a secular holiday.

This year, I'm asking Santa to bring me an AR-15, with a gazillion-round clip, a 'scope, and a bipod just so I can make it look like a real "assault weapon".

Maybe I'll even get online and order one of those aftermarket kits to modify it for fully automatic fire and make it BE an "assault weapon".

(@Mazza - Was that good enough. or do I need to expound further)

"There's only three tempos: slow, medium and fast. When you get between in the cracks, ain't nuthin' happenin'." Ben Webster
BiMale73
Posted: Monday, December 02, 2013 11:03:36 PM

ByronLord wrote:
I find his behavior inexcusable. More to the point, so does much of the atheist community at this point.

I think much of the atheist community found his remarks stupid and probably even inexcusable indeed. But not on the same level as the rape and death threats. Though you make it seem that way.

Perhaps our difference in interpretation has to do with the continents we live on. The atheist communities are not the same on both sides of the pond. I could be wrong, but Atheism+ for instance, which more or less arose from this whole debacle, seems like an almost entirely American phenomenon. It's not that their goals are not supported, but it's everything else about it that makes it not catch on over here I guess.

Ardentmale
Posted: Tuesday, December 03, 2013 12:05:32 AM

How about this... I am a Christian and I wont push or share my beliefs with anyone and you can be an atheist without pushing or sharing your beliefs with others... We can live our lives the way we want and in the end we will find out what the real deal is...

characterized by intense feeling; passionate; fervent

Intensely devoted, eager, or enthusiastic; zealous

vehement; fierce burning, fiery, or hot
thesexynun
Posted: Tuesday, December 03, 2013 6:11:50 AM

I am a Christian ..does that offend you??

your beliefs are YOUR beliefs

and mine are mine

what offends me....

are people who TRY to change mine

so you have yours..and I will have....mine

end of story

" smile..it is the second best thing to do with your LIPS!"
jp_275
Posted: Tuesday, December 03, 2013 4:34:31 PM

Christians are driven to tell others about Jesus because of the consequences of the God of the Bible being real. If judgment/salvation are real then isn't it important for everyone to know the facts and be able to make a reasoned opinion.

Conversely I think atheists should have open discussion with Christians, because as Paul says in the Bible you should pity Christians as they are wasting their time if Jesus did not come back from death.

Religion has eternal consequences and we need to have open discussion about it. I can't think of anything worse than someone facing Jesus on the last day, and exclaiming that they were never given reliable information on him.
Meggsy
Posted: Tuesday, December 03, 2013 7:30:46 PM

No it doesnt offend me - beacuse i am an Athiest too.
I dont need to justify what I believe - so I just leave it there.
stephanie
Posted: Tuesday, December 03, 2013 7:40:58 PM

xx SF

Imbecile! - de som empire
Si nos efforts te delevraient,
Tes baisers ressuseraient
Le cadavere de ton Wampyr! (Baudelaire.)
(I'll ATTEMPT a free translation...)
"Idiot! Even if our efforts were
To deliver you from Her empire,
Your kisses would bring back to life
The corpse of your beloved Vampire."
EVERYONE WHO SPEAKS FRENCH: "THat isn't quite correct..."
Shaman
Posted: Wednesday, December 04, 2013 9:24:03 AM

I try not to judge anyone for I don't want anyone to judge me.Like you many of my beliefs may be in question
BiTed
Posted: Sunday, December 08, 2013 10:01:16 PM

Not at all, everyone is entitled to their own beliefs. All I ask is that you don't judge or fault me for my own personal beliefs and preferences. The world would be a much better place if all people would refrain from judging others and attempting to impose their own personal beliefs (religious, political, sexual etc.) on others.
Posted: Sunday, December 08, 2013 10:41:50 PM

Judgment will always be there. Lets just try to refrain from exacting our will upon others and see where we meet.
Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2013 4:06:40 AM

BiMale73 wrote:
Related, sure, but not the same. Judging a religion is not the same as judging it's believers..

But ultimately it is isn't it? We are judging the idea of the specific religion, the concept behind the belief. I think I finally get what youre saying though. Intentionally it's just discussing 'religion', but I guess i was presuming the discussion was more so turning towards talking about religion. If you know what i mean :p

BiMale73 wrote:
No, it's not really different. They're all just world views. And that's exactly why i said that religion is not sacred. Don't treat it as if it is. Judge religion like any other world view: for what it stands for, for how its claims match reality and for its impact on society.

Yeah I think I get what youre trying to say. Nah, religion isnt sacred, I was thinking that maybe saying some shit like that could turn offensive. I guess at the end of the day all religion really is, is a belief. The idea behind the belief is up for discussion yes of course, but the faith and the believer, nah i think those should be left as is :)
CupcakeDrizzle
Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2013 6:36:31 AM

It is such a common thing anymore for someone to say that they are offended by something. My response? Who cares. Being offended does not give anybody certain rights. It holds no merit, has no purpose, and in my harsh opinion, shouldn't be respected.

Being offended means that you have given the power of yourself over to another person. You have officially allowed someone else to decide something for you.

Just suck it up, know that not everyone shares your beliefs, religion, et cetera, and stop crying.

For example...I say Merry Christmas. If you don't like it, please don't start a fight over it. Simply smile, say Happy Holidays, and go about your business. Don't try to tell me that you're offended and recite a 15 minute speech that you have prepared as to why you think Christmas is a load of bull. I could care less. Save your breathe.
You just took my attempt at being nice an polite and shoved it up my ass. If Christmas is not for you, if you do not believe in what it stands for; fine. I don't really care. It's not like I'm forcing you to celebrate it, convert to my belief, or come to church with me for goodness sake. I'm just being nice. It's my right to say it and if you find yourself to be offended by it...well...reread everything you just read.

kornslayer1
Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2013 5:53:12 PM

No, it doesn't offend me. It just makes me think that you are open minded.

Thanks for reading, or looking at my posts, now go to my profile, and check out my stories.
If you have, thanks for reading. It's always appreciated. I know I don't have a Recommended read, or Editors choice for you to choose from, but I think you'll be happy with any story you choose. I write the way I write, and try my best. I know a lot of you like my stories that was in the removed category, but I hope you can appreciate the rest of them. Check this one out.
http://www.lushstories.com/stories/taboo/my-step-brother-wants-me.aspx
Ruthie
Posted: Wednesday, December 11, 2013 4:09:11 PM

thesexynun wrote:

and mine are mine

what offends me....

end of story

Do you ever try to change the minds of non-Christians?
Yuzar
Posted: Wednesday, December 11, 2013 7:35:35 PM

I became an atheist myself not too long ago. Spent years tossing up what I really believed in and I just felt like I was lying to myself. There's nothing wrong with being either an atheist or a christian.

Black & White I : My First Story
Domina I : Domina I
angieseroticpen
Posted: Friday, December 13, 2013 5:45:53 AM

Just a thought........do the atheists here get insurance for acts of God?

“When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us.”
Posted: Friday, December 13, 2013 6:50:12 AM

I've ceased to buy into that insurance assuredly.
InTears
Posted: Friday, December 13, 2013 7:01:22 AM

angieseroticpen wrote:
Just a thought........do the atheists here get insurance for acts of God?

Do the christians here do? Cause, like... I've been spending money on that shit. Seems a bit unfair.
HotBttmInBriefs
Posted: Friday, December 13, 2013 8:22:43 AM

I agree with others --- you being an atheist no that does not offend me.

You trying to push your thought of time to bury God does. So many say they are tired of people of religion trying to push their beliefs on them but what is the difference when you try to push the idea that religion or God need to be buried.

Everyone has a right to believe in who they want to and what they want too. No one should try to bury their belief and their deity just because they don't believe in it. That is hypocritical and no different than Catholics trying to wipe out Protestants or Christians trying to do away with Muslims, etc.

And I just find it a little naive to think that if we do away with God then we will do away with war. Yes we have had many wars over religious ideas but we have just as many over other ideas as well. There will never be a time as long as we dwell on this earth that we are all going to get along. And it is natural that those disagreements often lead to war. You take away religion I can guarantee men will find something to go to war about.

Many of the wars throughout history have simply been fought because of control over the land or simply wanting to expand ones empire.

peteyx
Posted: Friday, December 13, 2013 8:52:40 AM

thesexynun wrote:

and mine are mine

what offends me....

end of story

I'm with the sexynun on this why would your beliefs bother me? It would only bother me if you were to bother me with your stuff peace brotherangel7