caffeine addiction

last reply
38 replies
2.7k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
Can you go through withdrawal like you can from other addictions?

I stopped drinking energy drinks & I've been very sluggish & irritatable lately. I also have a pounding headache that won't go away.

I usually drink 3 a day to keep going.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Haineko
Can you go through withdrawal like you can from other addictions?

I stopped drinking energy drinks & I've been very sluggish & irritatable lately. I also have a pounding headache that won't go away.

I usually drink 3 a day to keep going.

Yes. Caffeine is a drug and you will withdraw from it. Those energy drinks are some of the worst things you can put in your body if you want to be healthy because there is not one nutritional benefit to be had in them and the caffeine levels are way too high. Maybe drink some green tea or white tea while you ease away so the withdrawal isn't so bad that you go back to it and then if you wish, ease off of that. I drink green tea daily, it has caffeine but if I skip a day there are no withdrawals.

Good luck.
Lurker
0 likes
Quitting smoking was easier than this is gonna be I can feel it.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Haineko
Quitting smoking was easier than this is gonna be I can feel it.

You can do it. Taper the caffeine. I went through a double espresso phase and I felt horrible for a few days when I stopped. Headaches and like you said and irritable. Lots of water to flush your system and you can do this. You can.
Head Nurse
0 likes
Caffeine is defiantly a drug. Like other drugs, it has potent and harmful side effects, including heart arrhythmias. 3 energy drinks a day is a lot of caffeine.
Lurker
0 likes
Coffee is normally not my thing, but sometimes when I am tired on a travel or in a duty I like it. On a travel I like ecpresso coffee, it is strong and quick to drink. In duty I like bad filter coffee, the badder the better. Then I know that I hate it and that I want to come home to drink my black Darjeeling tea. I admit that I am a tea drinker most of all.
Troublemaker
0 likes
Haineko: drink lots of water, it will help cleanse your system and set your body back in balance. The headaches may be a withdrawal symptom but you may also be dehydrated (the actual cause of many headaches) the water will help. Lastly your body, with proper nutrition, will give you all the energy you need...and this is coming from a guy who used to ride a bicycle 500 miles a week... Good luck!!! smile
Lurker
0 likes
Couldn't get to sleep til 1am. I thought no caffeine would make sleep come easier.

And I have to work today. FML

EDIT: water it is
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Haineko
Couldn't get to sleep til 1am. I thought no caffeine would make sleep come easier.

And I have to work today. FML

EDIT: water it is

Your body is still used to it and conditioned to how you reacted with the caffeine. It will take some some time. I am not the best sleeper either but sometimes I drink herbal tea and a nice hot bath and then zzzzzzz. Again, don't quit on this.
Lurker
0 likes
I won't.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Haineko
I won't.

Back.
Lurker
0 likes
I have no money to get tea til Next fracking Monday.

Any advice how to make the headaches go away at least?
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Haineko
I have no money to get tea til Next fracking Monday.

Yes. Are they frontal or at the back of your head? Cold compresses, quiet and again water. Soothing music. Boring music.
Lurker
0 likes
Back of my head.
Lurker
0 likes
Yeah those are the worst. Not a lot of help for them. With at least frontal headaches a compress can help. Just giving you some extra support.
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Quote by Haineko

Caffeine withdrawal often results in headaches for about five to seven days.

You will need to stay hydrated during this time period - water, gatorade - these may help. Try eating a banana - it will keep your blood sugar levels even and has a boost of potassium. Avoid cheese, wine, chocolate, tea, soda, nitrates etc.

In the meantime, take two extra strength tylenol, a tall glass of water and one over-the-counter Sleep-Eze tablet (or equivalent).

You will feel better in the morning.
Troublemaker
0 likes
and if you are looking for tea: try Celestial Seasonings Sleepytyme Extra - it has Valerian Root in it which helps you sleep...make sure you get the "Extra" the regular "Sleepytyme" does not have Valerian. You may find it in a grocery store but best bet might be a health food store and they might also have alternative tea products...
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by LYFBUZ
and if you are looking for tea: try Celestial Seasonings Sleepytyme Extra - it has Valerian Root in it which helps you sleep...make sure you get the "Extra" the regular "Sleepytyme" does not have Valerian. You may find it in a grocery store but best bet might be a health food store and they might also have alternative tea products...

Lyf, valerian makes me hyper. I tried it once and it was the worst sleep of my life. But I think some people can use it and it works. Actually, cordyceps can work. It is a mushroom for your adrenal gland and it helps with stress. I take it and it regulates my sleep sometimes. One more idea if you are up to it. A cleansing diet of fresh juices may help too. If you are interested pm me but if not I understand too.
Lurker
0 likes
Ok I got Lipton 100% pure green tea and it's actually helping.

I drank my last soda today & had plenty of water.

Maybe life is worth living.
Troublemaker
0 likes
You go Girl! You got this!!!!
Head Nurse
0 likes

It'll get better!

I don't drink much caffeine, but when I need it (night shifts when I haven't gotten sleep, long drives, ect. I'll take it. If you think of it like a drug and use it appropriately it helps I think.
Nerdzilla
0 likes
I think everyone's already said it all, but I just wanted to add my support! I stopped drinking caffeine for a while and honestly I wasn't as tired throughout the day. I drink a cup of coffee or two a day now, but I've been thinking about ditching it altogether too.

Life without coffee, though....

You're a better woman than I am!
Lurker
0 likes
You can get bad headaches trying to kick caffeine, but you have to drink a lot to get that reliant.

Lipton makes some fruity white teas, like blueberry pomegranate and a peach one. They taste better than green tea, and have much less caffeine than coffee. Good way to ease off.
Lurker
0 likes
How are you doing? No judgment either way.
Lurker
0 likes
Totally kicked my dependency on energy drinks, those are gone.

Seriously reduced my soda intake. I've gone from about 10 cans/bottles a day to 1 every 3 or 4 days. My next goal is to kick that habit too.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Haineko
Totally kicked my dependency on energy drinks, those are gone.

Seriously reduced my soda intake. I've gone from about 10 cans/bottles a day to 1 every 3 or 4 days. My next goal is to kick that habit too.

Good. Slow steps. Any teas or water?
Lurker
0 likes
Always have a bottle of water close at hand.

Still have the green tea my friend gave me that I drink on occasion but I've never been a big tea drinker.
Lurker
0 likes
I am glad to hear you are doing this. You will feel so much better. I realized too that my caffeine intake was affecting my moods more than I realized. I do drink green tea/white/red teas but I rarely drink black. Are you feeling better yet?
Lurker
0 likes
No headaches anymore & my sleeping is normal.

Besides a stuffy nose I am 100%