OUTRAGE! - Canada bans Marmite and Irn Bru

last reply
14 replies
2.1k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes

The owner of a British food shop in Canada says he has been ordered to stop selling Marmite, Ovaltine and Irn Bru because they contain illegal additives.

Tony Badger, who owns Brit Foods in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, told local media that food safety officials had removed the foods from his shelves.

Other affected products include Lucozade, Penguin Bars and Bovril.

Mr Badger said he had been selling the items since 1997, and had never had problems in the past.

"We've been bringing Irn-Bru in since the very beginning," he told CKOM. The bright orange caffeinated drink is particularly popular in Scotland, but sold in countries around the world.

"My understanding was we were importing legally. We've been declaring it through a customs broker and we've never had an issue until now," said Mr Badger.

The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) is reportedly cracking down on the sale of such goods and increasing its inspections of suppliers.

Irn Bru contains at least one additive - Ponceau 4R - which has been linked to hyperactivity and does not appear on the approved food list in Canada.

The other products are banned because they are "enriched with vitamins and mineral" while some canned foods and soup contained too much animal product.

The CFIA could not be reached for comment.

Mr Badger said he first ran into trouble in October when his Christmas stock was seized as it was imported from Britain. Then last week, officials from the Canadian Food Inspection Agency came to his shop to confiscate the remaining produce.

"The concern now is, with the next shipment, if it gets held there may be new issues with new products, so it somewhat paralyses our ability to bring new product in," he said, adding the delays had already cost him thousands of dollars.

But he said the agency was now conducting a health assessment on the foods to determine whether they were fit for sale.

"I haven't heard of anyone dying from consuming Irn-Bru in Scotland or Britain," he said. "So hopefully we will get a favourable decision."

One customer, Briton Nigel Westwick, told the Star Phoenix newspaper that he "couldn't understand the insanity" of preventing Irn Bru from entering Canada.

"For a country that allows one to buy firearms, guns, bullets... stopping a soft drink suitable for all ages seems a little ludicrous."

Alpha Blonde
0 likes
I support the Marmite ban... innocent toast slices everywhere can now breath a sigh of relief. That is some scary-tasting spread.

I've never heard of Irn Bru, but if it contains uppers, I want some!
Lurker
0 likes
Irn Bru even has a warning on the bottle which says "Sunset yellow and Ponceau 4R may have an adverse effect on the activity and attention of children." Surely they could just leave it up to parents to decide if they let their kids have it.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Outrageous !!! Irn bru is the best hangover cure ever !
Marmite on toast ........delicious x
My Karma just ran over your Dogma
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Amazing story running in the UK about GM tomatoes that are purple invented in UK but banned here developed in Canada where it's allowed. Something spooky about banning the known and meddling in the unknown.
0 likes
Quick correction. Marmite and Irn Bru are quite welcome in Canada, however they have "Canadian" versions that comply with our regs. In the case of the store in the story, they were importing the original UK versions which are not compliant with Canadian regs.

Story from the CBC, Canada's national broadcaster (=BBC for British folks).
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
Quote by seeker4
Quick correction. Marmite and Irn Bru are quite welcome in Canada, however they have "Canadian" versions that comply with our regs. In the case of the store in the story, they were importing the original UK versions which are not compliant with Canadian regs.

What is the Canadian version of Irn Bru called?

Edit: Quite right, I checked this out and they do produce a separate version without the banned colouring. smile
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Well at first I was outraged at this. Marmite banned???? I mean we have been to war for less of an insult.

I do have a close Canadian friend (Who I somehow still like, even though she thinks the stuff is horrible... (We all have to have bad taste somewhere. (Mine is actually liking Barry Manilow....but hey ho))) and despite the ban, after serious thought, I decided that our friendship can survive this.

Anyhow, I digress,

The more I think about it, The more I like the idea.
I think that more countries should ban it.
My reasoning is this....Why the hell should we let any other country sample the finest taste on the face of the planet. In olden days the original holy grail was probably a jar of Marmite....It was only when that idiot Mallory tried to romanticise it that it became the blood of Christ...(personally I think the taste of Marmite is probably better than drinking the blood of Christ..I mean ewwwww). King Arthur probably supped some yeast from the top of a vat of beer and thought that all of his Christmases had come at once..(And yes...that is how it is made...I work next door to the brewery that they take it from).

Marmite is as English as the Mini used to be....(And look what happened to that when we let the Germans sample THAT delight. They bought the company, and turned England's most iconic car into a glorified shopping trolley ...And Rolls Royce as well come to think of it).

It is as English as the Queen and Fish and Chips....it is part of our National Identity.

Many Countries have tried to imitate it...(Yes I do love Australia, but Vegemite??...Seriously!!!...It is like comparing a bottle of Dom Perignon to Asti Spumanti)

The other problem with exporting it, is that it automatically makes the price on domestic soil increase.....(Look at whiskey....The Americans pay half the price for what was made on our fair isle....albeit in Scotland). I shudder to think of that happening in that case.

I may be a little biased as I am a full member of the Marmariti, but I want to shout it from the rooftops "Keep Marmite English!!!!"
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Try the Australian version. VEGEMITE. Then you can understand why they banned Marmite.
Matriarch
0 likes
Someone needs to point Clum to this thread, he's going to be outraged!
Lurker
0 likes
Banning Irn Bru!! What the deuce! Asshole!
0 likes
Let me say it again:

We have not banned anything.

CFIA is as stupidly bureaucratic as they come BUT the reality is that we Canucks can buy Marmite and Irn Bru. Whether we want to is a whole other issue.

There are certain ingredients in Irn Bru, Marmite, and other UK imports that are banned so the makers are providing Canadian stores with versions without those ingredients. My local grocery has Marmite (and maybe Vegemite, too), for instance. The store in the story was selling the UK version which has the banned ingredients, rather than the Canadian version, which does not.

For the record, I have consumed Irn Bru, though I think that was brought from the UK by my friend who immigrated here from Scotland. I have no recollection of my reaction, so likely I neither liked nor disliked it.
Site administrator
0 likes
I love Marmite .. I regularly have it on toast, crumpets and tea cakes/hot cross buns .. with the latter the savoury and sweet tastes compliment each other. Some people in the UK also make a hot drink from Marmite like they do Bovril .
English Rose
0 likes
Marmite is delicious, although it's a very acquired taste. I love it in a cheese sandwich with some very strong cheddar. North America just doesn't know what it's missing!
https://www.lushstories.com/stories/fetish/worship-my-bum.aspx
My new story has been awarded the Recommended Read. If you adore a needy bottom and fancy a short, but very naughty read...
The Linebacker
0 likes
I think we should all be able to buy and sell whatever we want. Ban governments instead.