last reply
15 replies
1.6k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Female Hairstyles

Men and women, what are your favorite female hairstyles? Post pics!
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Ok, to be be frank, I just saw this thread in Ask the Guys and was about to post many of my favorite hairstyles, but thought I might as well create a new thread in En Vogue since I never saw one about female hairstyles here.

I'll use Rachel McAdams as my main model as she wore so many different hairstyles in the past (and she's gorgeous).

By the way, I really don't care much about hair color, so the pictures I'll post are mainly to display the hairstyles themselves.

My preference is for long straight hair. Long hair looks very feminine, so the longer the better for me (almost). I also don't really like hairstyles that have too much volume or too many features. These are great :

I also love layered hair, for a glamorous style that can also look a bit slutty/playful :

Here's a brown version, as well as a shorter one. I prefer longer hair, but this still looks amazing :

For curvy/wavy hair, I also prefer some length. I'm currently dating a woman who has such hair and keeps them rather short (somewhere between those two pictures), but I'd definitely prefer them longer :

These are much better :

This is absolutely stunning :

Ok, back to hairstyles.

These are a bit too glamorous for an everyday style, but still look great for a special event. I love the retro look of the first picture. I also love hairstyles that show the neck and those cute tiny hairs in the upper neck. I love touching/caressing women there when I'm having sex, so it looks very erotic to me :

I also love ponytails, pigtails and braids for an active/casual look, especially when they show the neck as previously mentioned :

For ponytails, I like when they're attached rather high and close to the head to provoke this playful 'swing'. The first one is perfect, the second is still very decent, and the third is attached too low and looks a bit conservative/boring :

I also have been attracted to tight/slick ponytails and chignons in the past, though they are very situation dependent and not all women can pull them off. Women that are overall already very feminine/sexy can achieve a decent look in a conservative/serious work environment with a style that kinda says "I try to put my sexuality aside but still look sexy as hell". This style also looks very assertive and confident (and almost intimidating) :

I don't like these hairstyles much ; they're either too glamorous, short or masculine :

So that's it folks : Rachel McAdams.

Ugh, I mean : hairstyles.
Lurker
0 likes
For myself, I like to pin my bangs back when I let down my hair. It looks great and is really practical for classes because it keeps hair outta my face when I have to read or write.

Personally, I also prefer neat, tight buns over loose messy ones. The latter looks unstable most of the time - and probably needs a lot of hair product to keep from unravelling completely!

Although I've never tried it myself, I'm a huge fan of Kate Middleton's do. It's very elegant. Restricting her cascading curls to the bottom half of her hair gives it this really nice bouncy look. Gotta admit, I love her dresses more than her hair though!

I also think short, cropped hair (shown below on the likes of Anne Hathaway, Halle Berry and Rihanna) looks amazing too - it does not detract from their femininity in any way. It's not a look I've tried before though.
Lurker
0 likes
I keep my hair long with long layers. I grew my bangs out. So now I have layers that frame my face starting at my chin.
I usually wear my hair down. Sometimes I pin it back so it's not hanging in my face.
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
My hair basically looks like this, except it's blonder and a little shorter. I have a few (minimal) longer layers cut into it to give it a bit of movement. I haven't really changed from this hairstyle since I was a kid actually. Maybe a few more layers here or there but mostly it's just long girly hair. I like being able to put it up or wear it down and I find this kind of basic style/length the most versatile. I have a slight natural wave to my hair but I can dry it straight or flat-iron for a pin-straight look or bring out the waves with a saltwater spray or loose hot rollers on the bottom 2/3 of my hair to get loose waves.

A cut that I like when I see it on other people (especially blondes) is this super straight hair with the heavy bangs. This kind of cut is a commitment though - growing out those bangs would be brutal. So I don't think I'll be doing this with my own hair anytime soon. But I think it can look really sexy and sophisticated.

As far as wearing my hair up - I do like the messy bun look or even with a bit of woven braided hair like these

I also love ponytails - usually something simple and easy.

Or sleek with a low-pony and super straight hair - something like this.

Alpha Blonde
0 likes
What I hate the most as far as female hair goes is the ombre trend. I think it looks awful on most people - especially when it's done with a strong contrast in shades. It just looks like a girl got lazy and couldn't be bothered to get her roots done. I totally didn't understand why this look caught on. Maybe it's ok if you're only doing a shade or two difference and just subtle ombre highlights, but stuff like this just looks blech to me:

The Linebacker
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll
What I hate the most as far as female hair goes is the ombre trend. I think it looks awful on most people - especially when it's done with a strong contrast in shades. It just looks like a girl got lazy and couldn't be bothered to get her roots done. I totally didn't understand why this look caught on. Maybe it's ok if you're only doing a shade or two difference and just subtle ombre highlights, but stuff like this just looks blech to me:

Ash, I think its the slutty look appeal. It's definitely a trailer trash or $20 street walker look but that in itself can be very hot on the right woman. Guys like it because they just know that chick can and will do anything raunchy and naughty they ask. It's the look of a 'nothing is off limits, I may not be cultured, but I can sure fuck and drink all your beer' wild child. I think that's what the look sells. I'm sure its just a short lived trend.

Personally I like long silky with a hint of waves or that long but very layered look, especially having plenty to grab hold of. I need some hair to get a tight grip on and some that falls across me and teases and tickles my body. The short look can work on the right face, but if the face isn't the perfect shape, short hair can be very bad, accentuating a nose that's a little too big or a face too wide. In that case long is much better.
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll

You definitely should also have posted a picture of what this hairstyle looks like from the front. I'm sure it looks great from this angle too.

But thanks for your feedback.
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Quote by emilykiss
For myself, I like to pin my bangs back when I let down my hair. It looks great and is really practical for classes because it keeps hair outta my face when I have to read or write.

By looking at your avatar, somehow just the way your hair falls around your neck tells me you were wearing this hairstyle when you took the picture, haha. Nice one.

Quote by emilykiss

I also think short, cropped hair (shown below on the likes of Anne Hathaway, Halle Berry and Rihanna) looks amazing too - it does not detract from their femininity in any way. It's not a look I've tried before though.

I know this is very personal and subjective, but short hairstyles like this are basically a turn-off for me. It just looks too masculine to me.
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes

Somehow, I see these hairstyles as a blonde equivalent of the dark, slick conservative hairstyle I've presented before. Generally speaking, blondes have an easier time pulling off a playful/artistic style, while brunettes have an easier time pulling off a serious/assertive one. I don't think many blondes could achieve a style that looks as intimidating and serious as the one Rachel McAdams displays on this picture.

The hairstyles you've presented still have this 'I try to put my sexuality aside, but still look sexy as hell' vibe though, hence the similarity that I perceive ; they simply don't look as conservative/serious. I could totally imagine a blonde wearing such an hairstyle in an artistic work environment where seduction isn't the main purpose and where she tries to appear a bit less provocative. The first one is still quite elegant though ; I could even see a lawyer/businesswoman wearing that kind of hairstyle.

What I like about these hairstyles is that the women aren't even at their sexiest, but still look extremely sexy. It makes you wonder how hot/sexy they would be with their hair detached.

Big incentive to ask them out on a date to figure it out.
Lurker
0 likes
When I'm off work I go with the sexy beach look
Lurker
0 likes
With regards to low ponytails (which I wear from time to time), I really like the looks of these:

1. The ponytail tucked inwards.

2. French braids ending at the base of the neck. This isn't something I can pull off on my own though - would need the help of a girlfriend to get it straight!
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
This is the guy-magnet hair. Pretty much if you're not doing pin-straight, this is the look that will turn the most heads.

This is also an easy one to create/wear because it's not fussy. It always seems to get a positive reaction.

The Linebacker
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll
This is the guy-magnet hair. Pretty much if you're not doing pin-straight, this is the look that will turn the most heads.

This is also an easy one to create/wear because it's not fussy. It always seems to get a positive reaction.

This is my wife's hairstyle and length. Her hair is mostly black, some brown mixed in if she gets out in the sun.
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll

This is far from being my preference personally, but I know what you mean. Pretty much the 'beauty pageant' look, which is actually why I don't like it that much. Generally speaking though, mostly hot girls wear this hairstyle, so there's still an obvious correlation there.

I do like it, just not really a preference. I'm neutral to it I guess.

Quote by Buz
This is my wife's hairstyle and length. Her hair is mostly black, some brown mixed in if she gets out in the sun.

Actually, I do think it looks much better with darker hair. Blondes risk looking a bit too superficial with this hairstyle somehow :

I still prefer straight hair though :

Lurker
0 likes
My hair is wavy but I straighten it. It is a variety of shades of brown with blonde highlights. I have never and never will do the short pixie style because I don't like it and it would look awful on me. I've had a chin length bob but I prefer long, layered hair.

(Not me)