Word Limit/Ideal Story Length?

last reply
6 replies
1.6k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I've recently begun writing stories here on Lush and posting them, and I tend to write long stories as well. I was wondering if Lush had a limit to how long an entry can be, or even if it doesn't, what would you other writers would consider to be an ideal length for a story? Whilst a longer story would be good for more detail, is there a point were the length puts readers off? In the story I've done so far I tend to do about 2,000 words per chapter, with three chapters posted. I was considering doing longer chapters for subsequent stories but thought it would be a good idea to ask the opinions of my fellow writers on the subject.
Mazztastic
0 likes
The upper limit, as I recall, is 10,000 words. The lower limit is 3,000 characters.

You'll find more info in the authors guidelines on the help page...

It's worth reading through them to make sure you're not breaking any rules, which would get your story rejected and you'd have to fix it and resubmit it...

Welcome to lush!

Hope you enjoy it here

Xxx

Edit: this link should be helpful to you

http://www.lushstories.com/help.aspx
Story Verifier
0 likes
In addition to the help page there are also a number of sticky posts in the "Writer's Resources" forum here that are worth reading.

As to how long a story should be - I don't think there are generic rules that say what works for the readers and what doesn't. I've got stories here that range from barely 2k words to one that even slightly tops the 10k limit, and I don't see a noticeable trend in votes or comments.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
to elaborate a little - each posted chapter, if you choose to post in chapters, can't exceed 10k words. that said, you may post as many chapters as you'd like, so the entire story can be novel length, if you so choose. smile

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Sophisticate
0 likes
Another point to add to what Sprite said is that only one chapter may be posted each day. This being the case, you will have to wait for each one to be approved and posted before submitting the next one or they would be out of order if there were edits to do on a chapter.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
When I first started writing, I would write longer stories. Until a friend told Me I should shorten them a bit. I mean 7,000+ word stories were the norm for Me.

Nowadays though, I usually try to keep them somewhere between 3,00 to 5,000 words - sometimes a bit more. But if they get much longer than that, I try to break them into two chapters. And it seems to work better for Me. And I'm sure the mods like it better too! LOL! ;)
God Empress of Lush
0 likes
For me, around 3000-4000 words feels about right for a story. That gives me time to introduce the characters, set up the story, and have a nice bit of sex to finish. My longest single story is about 6000, I think.

22 February 2024 - How about a quick plug for one of my filthiest recent stories? It's all in the title - Naked Pool Party Swingers | Lush Stories Please read, comment and maybe give it a ❤️ - or even a⭐ if you really enjoy it! Thank you! Annie xxx