Rock and Roll Hall of Shame

last reply
16 replies
1.3k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
With the upcoming inductions into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, I am going on my annual rant of how clueless they really are. When I see Hall and Oates going in but Deep Purple still being snubbed it makes my blood boil.

Who do you think should be in that has been snubbed?

And is there anyone who is in that you think is a Joke?

For me, besides Deep Purple, a few others that should have been in years ago are:

Yes
Emerson, Lake and Palmer
Cheap Trick
Joan Jett
MC5
Chicago (not a fan but they belong there)
Ozzy Osbourne

Not only haven't they been inducted, most have never even been nominated.

Thank God ABBA is in, Who's next to get in Milli Vanilli?
CurlyFries
0 likes
Quote by Nikki703
With the upcoming inductions into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, I am going on my annual rant of how clueless they really are. When I see Hall and Oates going in but Deep Purple still being snubbed it makes my blood boil.

Who do you think should be in that has been snubbed?

And is there anyone who is in that you think is a Joke?

For me, besides Deep Purple, a few others that should have been in years ago are:

Yes
Emerson, Lake and Palmer
Cheap Trick
Joan Jett
MC5
Chicago (not a fan but they belong there)
Ozzy Osbourne

Not only haven't they been inducted, most have never even been nominated.

Thank God ABBA is in, Who's next to get in Milli Vanilli?

Nikki, how did the Godz miss being on your list??? C'mon! They're rock and roll machines.

In addition to most of yours, a few I would love to see inducted:
The Cure
Barry White
Joe Cocker
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Soundgarden
Pixies
Iron Maiden
Journey (totally nostalgic choice for me)

I know that Nirvana is finally being inducted, but what about Dave Grohl just for being DG?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Who decides which bands get inducted?! Sonic Youth, The Pixies, X, Bad Brains, The Cure, The Smiths, The Go-Gos, Devo, The Buzzcocks...
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by CurlyGirly

Nikki, how did the Godz miss being on your list??? C'mon! They're rock and roll machines.

In addition to most of yours, a few I would love to see inducted:
The Cure
Barry White
Joe Cocker
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Soundgarden
Pixies
Iron Maiden
Journey (totally nostalgic choice for me)

I know that Nirvana is finally being inducted, but what about Dave Grohl just for being DG?

I agree with all your choices. There are so many more but I just picked ones who have been eligible for a long time. The Godz would burn the hall down.

As for DG, he is just too cool to be included. Besides he is already in MY Hall of Fame and with membership he gets a lot more than his name on a plaque, LOL!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by jollylolly
Who decides which bands get inducted?! Sonic Youth, The Pixies, X, Bad Brains, The Cure, The Smiths, The Go-Gos, Devo, The Buzzcocks...

More great choices.

I think there is a committee made up of Music Journalists, Record Company execs, etc who probably listen to stuff like Air Supply and have no clue what is good music.

It even pisses me off that Madonna and Michael Jackson are in and bands like Maiden, Priest and Motorhead may never get in. Its the ROCK AND ROLL Hall of Fame, not the POP MUSIC Hall of Fame!

Quote by HotBttmInBriefs

So glad Kiss and Linda Ronstadt are finally going in.

I am not a Kiss fan but if they were inducted back when they should have been there would be no controversy about them playing at the ceremony. It would have been the original 4 members. Another RARHOF Blunder!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I agree about the name of the Hall (rock vs. pop) but I just never have wanted to go there as for so many that definition is either a narrow one or wide one as to what is Rock and Roll and what isn't.

Many would want to exclude all the soul artists, while others would want to take out the reggae artists, and then you take out the Rap artists, then some would want artists that were mainly disco out, and all punk and alternative out, and so forth. When you start restricting, it never stops. Many today wouldn't even consider the artists who gave birth to rock and roll in the 50s true rock artists.

With any hall of fame there are always going to be exclusions and folks who don't get in when they should. Politics play way too much into the voting process with any of them. And sadly that is just part of being human.
0 likes
After the arduous journey to get Rush in there, I think most Canadians are pretty soured on the place. I had not realized Yes wasn't in yet. Getting them together for the induction might be a trick, though. I think Jon's on the outs with the others (again) or at least was last I checked which, admittedly, was a while ago.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by HotBttmInBriefs
I agree about the name of the Hall (rock vs. pop) but I just never have wanted to go there as for so many that definition is either a narrow one or wide one as to what is Rock and Roll and what isn't.

Many would want to exclude all the soul artists, while others would want to take out the reggae artists, and then you take out the Rap artists, then some would want artists that were mainly disco out, and all punk and alternative out, and so forth. When you start restricting, it never stops. Many today wouldn't even consider the artists who gave birth to rock and roll in the 50s true rock artists.

With any hall of fame there are always going to be exclusions and folks who don't get in when they should. Politics play way too much into the voting process with any of them. And sadly that is just part of being human.

I agree in principle BUT there is a Pop Music HOF, Latin Music HOF, an R+B HOF already. A true Rock Band is not eligible for induction into any of those. So why should a performer, even one as iconic as Michael Jackson, who is know as the King of POP be eligible for the Rock and Roll HOF? cant have cake and eat it too!

My main point though is if you are inducting performers who to most people aren't considered Rock, how can you not induct such Iconic bands as Deep Purple? Why did it take so long for Rush and Kiss to get inducted? There is more to this.

Quote by seeker4
After the arduous journey to get Rush in there, I think most Canadians are pretty soured on the place. I had not realized Yes wasn't in yet. Getting them together for the induction might be a trick, though. I think Jon's on the outs with the others (again) or at least was last I checked which, admittedly, was a while ago.

Yeah, could be tricky but even Pink Floyd put differences aside to be inducted, although Roger Waters wasn't there in person but was on via satellite, LOL
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by seeker4

Considering how long it took Rush to get in proves musical 'talent' isn't part of the selection criteria/process

If this guy is in the RnR hall of fame, everybody should be inducted and i give up.

I realize the whole band was inducted but Axl Rose was one the reason to keep them out.
0 likes
Quote by Nikki703

Yeah, could be tricky but even Pink Floyd put differences aside to be inducted, although Roger Waters wasn't there in person but was on via satellite, LOL

True enough.

The other issue would be which lineup. Going on influence and artistic merit, it should be (IMHO) the Fragile-era line up of Anderson, Squire, Bruford, Wakeman, Howe. However, if they go for most commercially successful lineup, then it's the 90125-Big Generator lineup of Anderson, Squire, Kaye, White, Rabin. Given the number of musicians who have passed through the band over the years, maybe just say "we're inducting Yes" and see who shows up
Lurker
0 likes
Was looking through some inductees and came across Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, soon after the Dave Clark Five.

Love the song "The Message" but, GMF got in back in 2007, with two albums. Ricky Nelson got in in the second year of nominees, I don't have a clue except he was on a TV show, and he was father to two blond one hit wonders. Bleh!

RUSH, got it in 2013, The Stooges in 2010, pick either band, I'd say the both had more influence on music than either of them. It's as pathetic as the current baseball hall of fame process.
0 likes
I know, I know. Beastie boys getting in, LLcoolJ, Madonna? A million others I could name that SHOULDN'T be in there, and vice versa. Top of my list, Iron maiden, and Judas priest. Quite honestly, I just gave up giving a crap. Alice Cooper, and Black Sabbath were on the list to get in many years before they were finally inducted. Nirvana got in the first year they could, and they were part of the grunge era, that almost killed the era of the bands that should be in there, and aren't. It's just bullshit wrapped in more bullshit, and that forced me not to give a shit. If someone else wants to open The Real Rock n Roll Hall Of Fame, where truly deserving bands get in, and get in when they should, I might check that out. Quite honestly, I only live a few hours away from the hall of shame, and I can't ever see myself driving out there. Why do you think that is?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by kornslayer1
I know, I know. Beastie boys getting in, LLcoolJ, Madonna? A million others I could name that SHOULDN'T be in there, and vice versa. Top of my list, Iron maiden, and Judas priest. Quite honestly, I just gave up giving a crap. Alice Cooper, and Black Sabbath were on the list to get in many years before they were finally inducted. Nirvana got in the first year they could, and they were part of the grunge era, that almost killed the era of the bands that should be in there, and aren't. It's just bullshit wrapped in more bullshit, and that forced me not to give a shit. If someone else wants to open The Real Rock n Roll Hall Of Fame, where truly deserving bands get in, and get in when they should, I might check that out. Quite honestly, I only live a few hours away from the hall of shame, and I can't ever see myself driving out there. Why do you think that is?

As much as Id love to see Iron Maiden and Judas Priest get inducted, I hope you are NOT saying Nirvana doesn't deserve to be in. There is a definite Anti Heavy Metal bias for sure, but to say Nirvana isn't worthy is just plain wrong. Grunge didn't kill bands like Priest, Maiden, Metallica, etc. Grunge killed bands like Poison, Kix and L.A. Guns, LOL!

Quote by seeker4

True enough.

The other issue would be which lineup. Going on influence and artistic merit, it should be (IMHO) the Fragile-era line up of Anderson, Squire, Bruford, Wakeman, Howe. However, if they go for most commercially successful lineup, then it's the 90125-Big Generator lineup of Anderson, Squire, Kaye, White, Rabin. Given the number of musicians who have passed through the band over the years, maybe just say "we're inducting Yes" and see who shows up

Same would be true for Deep Purple. I agree Yes should be Anderson, Squire, Howe, Wakeman and Bruford and honorable mention to Alan White.
And Deep Purple should be Blackmore, Gillan, Lord, Glover and Paice with honorable mention to Glenn Hughes and David Coverdale.

Maybe that is the excuse the Hall of Shame is using for keeping them out, HAHA
0 likes
Quote by Nikki703

Same would be true for Deep Purple. I agree Yes should be Anderson, Squire, Howe, Wakeman and Bruford and honorable mention to Alan White.
And Deep Purple should be Blackmore, Gillan, Lord, Glover and Paice with honorable mention to Glenn Hughes and David Coverdale.

Maybe that is the excuse the Hall of Shame is using for keeping them out, HAHA

I'm not saying they aren't worthy, I'm saying there are so many other bands a lot more worthy than them. To me anyway, it just kind of adds insult to injury when you consider that there were so many bands were out touring, and recording so many years before they came out.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by kornslayer1

I'm not saying they aren't worthy, I'm saying there are so many other bands a lot more worthy than them. To me anyway, it just kind of adds insult to injury when you consider that there were so many bands were out touring, and recording so many years before they came out.

Well I agree and disagree. The reason for the OP is that there are so many bands that deserve to be in that aren't. But Nirvana is as worthy as any of them. They are to Alternative Rock in the 90's-present what Black Sabbath was to Heavy Metal. And I love Black Sabbath!

At least we agree that HOF is a JOKE ! HAHA
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
This is an interesting topic and had me looking at bands that have never even been nominated. Of those these are some of my favorites. It's disgraceful.

Jethro Tull
Emerson Lake & Palmer
Blue Oyster Cult
Tommy James and the Shondells
The Moody Blues
Steppenwolf