Login

Clock---GMT?????

last reply
37 replies
3.2k views
0 watchers
0 likes
0 likes
I know this has been brought up before, but I can't find it now.

Could someone please reset the clock to GMT? At present it is showing GMT+2, thereby throwing everybody's time out worldwide, - even showing the wrong day, if a posting is made within two hours of midnight!

All very confusing!

PS. The time of posting this was 9.28am
Site administrator
0 likes
Test.

Yep posted 10:05.
Site administrator
0 likes
Test2 lol.

This was your previous post ...

http://www.lushstories.com/forum/yaf_postst36043_Posting-times.aspx

edit - OK I set my profile thingey to GMT-2 and now the posts show the correct time. On my profile however in latest forum posts it says 03:21 so GMT-7.

Sorry .. brain cells have left me this morning .. so confuddled. I am sure someone else will solve this one again.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by simplyjohn
Test2 lol.

This was your previous post ...

http://www.lushstories.com/forum/yaf_postst36043_Posting-times.aspx

edit - OK I set my profile thingey to GMT-2 and now the posts show the correct time. On my profile however in latest forum posts it says 03:21 so GMT-7.

Sorry .. brain cells have left me this morning .. so confuddled. I am sure someone else will solve this one again.

The issue probably arises from the difference between European daylight saving and US daylight saving. In the US it started last week while in Europe it happens next week, so for a couple of weeks a year London is only 4 hours ahead of New York. You'll have to change it back on Sunday week
Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

Why not read some stories instead

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
Site administrator
0 likes
Quote by overmykneenow

The issue probably arises from the difference between European daylight saving and US daylight saving. In the US it started last week while in Europe it happens next week, so for a couple of weeks a year London is only 4 hours ahead of New York. You'll have to change it back on Sunday week

Fine so when we change here for BST (30th March) it will still be one hour out. And that doesnt explain the GMT-7 on the profile 'Latest Forum Posts' surely.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by overmykneenow

That has no bearing on GMT, that's a standard time it's not always UK time. We are GMT in the winter and BST in summer.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by simplyjohn

Fine so when we change here for BST (30th March) it will still be one hour out. And that doesnt explain the GMT-7 on the profile 'Latest Forum Posts' surely.

Pacific time is currently GMT -7. This forum probably comes of the box set on West Coast time
Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by dpw

That has no bearing on GMT, that's a standard time it's not always UK time. We are GMT in the winter and BST in summer.

Yes, and BST is simply GMT +1. What's your point?

0 likes
If the clock was set to GMT, year round, everyone's Basic time would be right. Then allowances for daylight saving (if used) could be made locally.

And yes, it's been discussed before, - several times, so why is it still wrong?
0 likes
So........ It's alright everyone commenting on it, but nothing gets done. Who is responsible for running the site? The Mods do a good job, but I don't suppose the have much of a hand in the actual mechanics of it. Who is/are the manager/s/Owners? Is it such a difficult job to put the clock right and set it to GMT?

Posted at 9.23am
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by cooldaddy
So........ It's alright everyone commenting on it, but nothing gets done. Who is responsible for running the site? The Mods do a good job, but I don't suppose the have much of a hand in the actual mechanics of it. Who is/are the manager/s/Owners? Is it such a difficult job to put the clock right and set it to GMT?

Posted at 9.23am

I assume your name is ironic. The tech guy here, Gav, maintains this in his spare time. I'd imagine reseting the clocks to keep you happy is pretty low on his list of priorities.

My advice: don't use Lush forums to find out what time it is

Matriarch
0 likes
Quote by overmykneenow
I assume your name is ironic. The tech guy here, Gav, maintains this in his spare time. I'd imagine reseting the clocks to keep you happy is pretty low on his list of priorities.

My advice: don't use Lush forums to find out what time it is.

Gets my vote.

This is the second or third petty quibble about our FREE site from the same person in the few months he's been a member. It becomes wearing.
Story Verifier
0 likes
Quote by cooldaddy

Posted at 9.23am

Why is it so important to have it set to GMT?

If, when you post, it shows a posted time of 12.00pm and you are fastidious enough to want to know the GMT time you just take 2 hours off it and hey presto you have the GMT posting time of 10.00am.

Personally, when I post anything here I am not interested in the time shown and I am sure the majority are not interested either.

BST...EST...GMT all irrelevant to me!

11.05am GMT
“When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us.”
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Reminds me of....

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Since the time is always set according to the server's clock, I can see the time interval between posts. Since many people are invisible when they are posting, I can guess as to whether or not they might still be around by looking at the time they posted. If it was 2 min before me odds are good they are around. But if it was 2 hrs ago then probably not. It doesn't matter what time it was when they posted just how long ago. That's why the actual time is moot.
0 likes
If the time is the biggest problem on these forums, then they are very good forums, indeed. *pats Gav and Nicola on the back*

As long as I know what time the forum is showing and how it relates to my computer's clock, it's all cool with me. Sure, there is probably forum software that will handle the time better. That software may cost more $$, require more admin work, etc. I'm currently in the market for software for another board I'm on (the current owner wants out and some of the members are taking it on but we need to move it off the owner's servers to a new platform) and it's just not as simple as users sometimes seem to think it is.
0 likes
OK,OK,OK, I'll consider my wrist well and truly slapped. It was just an irritation, that's all. Didn't know it was going to raise such a fuss.

My apologies to anyone I have upset.
Awesome Lady
0 likes
Quote by nicola

Gets my vote.

This is the second or third petty quibble about our FREE site from the same person in the few months he's been a member. It becomes wearing.

I suppose I'm too sensitive. This post and the one before it were unnecessarily mean. Do you even know/have read the profile of the person? Seems just explaining, nicely, how it may be made understandable (like seeker4 and some others did) would have been kinder.
Matriarch
0 likes
Quote by elizabethblack

I suppose I'm too sensitive. This post and the one before it were unnecessarily mean. Do you even know/have read the profile of the person? Seems just explaining, nicely, how it may be made understandable (like seeker4 and some others did) would have been kinder.

When you've poured your heart and soul into a project for 7 years, and have (the same) people repeatedly raising petty issues, it gets on your nerves after a while.

Gav has 4 expensive severs to manage, they pump out over 50 million pageviews per month. Do you think he is going to be overly concerned about forum time stamps? The majority of people who surf the site, don't even visit the forums.

It's about the attitude of the OP Elizabeth more than anything else. I've read 3 of his forum posts so far, they've all been complaints about one minor thing or another.
Story Verifier
0 likes
This is another of those artificial problems caused by ourselves. Daylight Savings Time should be eliminated. Several states here have already done it, Arizona is the only one I remember, but the whole world should just to eliminate this confusion. Until that happens we all have to do what one of my daughters told me once when I was bitching about how much pain I was in.

She said, "Oh for Christ's sake Paul, suck it up."

It took me about 30 seconds to do that and I've been grateful to her since.

Ben Franklin said it best though. He said it was like cutting the end off a blanket and sewing it on the other end to make it longer. How perfect a description of ignorance can there be.

Of course I know why it was started but we should all politic to get it changed.
I am always a gentleman.
Story Verifier
0 likes
Hi Nicola,

I'll do this publicly because it's something that pertains to all.

I appreciate every effort made by the SyOps, managers, workers, administrators, reviewers and anyone else I missed, beyond my ability to describe. I designed the hardware for 35 years and I still don't much like computers. But I completely understand the administrators position on them.

P. T. Barnum said, "you can't fool all the people all the time, but you can fool all of them some of the time." Well,you can't make all of them happy either.

Thank You!

Is about as good as I can get until I win the 50 Million dollar lottery. Then I'll send all of you the top-of-the-line LELO vibrator, or whatever else you want.

You give me and a couple hundred thousand other a place to play, safely, and find much enjoyment. Any who don't like it that way, leave. You don't have to be here, it's your choice. Go find a better place. But I do not believe that many really feel that way when the stop to think. It's just to easy to say what irritates us and it comes across to strong.

I've done it, I do it every now and then but I fight it.

Also Nicola, don't ever apologize for an opinion. Our job, as listeners, is too accept and understand your opinion or offer a differing one. Then we either agree with each other or we understand the others opinion and go on. Our egos make it an adversarial thing. I try to control mine rigidly but sometimes the ugly little bastard escapes and says something I have to apologize for later.

Thank you for every effort you make.

Stay safe and. Enjoy what life is.

Paul
I am always a gentleman.
Cheeky Chick
0 likes
If you don't like it, you can always put the time it currently is at the end of each post you do. That way if you do it wrong, you're to blame. Otherwise, suck it up, Buttercup. Gav has more important things to do than worry about a forum time stamp.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Poppet
suck it up, Buttercup

Welcome to the meanie gang.

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
until the time stamp issue is resolved, i'm on strike.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Classified
0 likes
Could we not have it shown in this form?
Roman numerals are the answer.

Of all our inventions for mass communication,
pictures still speak the most universally understood language.

Walt Disney
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by sprite

Is that as of now or in two hours time?

Site administrator
0 likes
Quote by sprite

Will we even notice? What is it that you do here anyway?

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by sprite

there is no such thing as time .. giggles... there r only clocks

Matriarch
0 likes
Time is an artificial construct.

Hayley, please can you stop warming that wine, and pass it to me. K, thx.