last reply
10 replies
1.1k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Which do you think is harder?
Long Distance when the one you love, has moved and no longer is close by, and you talk on the phone video chat, etc, but don't get to hold each other anymore
or Long distance where you've met online and haven't had the oppurtunity yet to meet in person, but very much want to. You're in love, and want to be able to hold them in your arms, kiss and touch them
Open to all opinions
Lurker
0 likes
I don't know about long distance. Some people have made it work but don't know if it is good for the relationship. I prefer being close because I want to be able to hold him and touch him but on a whole have a normal relationship with him. Just my thinking about it.
0 likes
I've done the former moreso than the latter. My girlfriend (later wife) took a job in another province that was about 90 minutes flight or a couple days driving away. That was pre-web, so the only alternative to the usurious long distance rates of the day was email and she had easier access to that (as an academic) than I did. The hard thing is that you know exactly what you're missing. With an online relationship, often much is already in the imagination so I think you're already in the mindset of connecting in non-physical ways whereas if you start off physical and then go virtual, your mindset is more about wanting to get back to the physical. At least, that's my feeling.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I was often away for six months at a time, often on the other side of the world...(in the days before email, et al) ....which makes me sound ancient, but writing letters, grabbing phone calls when we could, it all helped and our love remained as strong as it is today.
My Karma just ran over your Dogma
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I've kind of, but not exactly done both. When I was dating my first wife we went to colleges on opposite sides of the state for almost a year. Worse yet, I was living without a phone so if we wanted to talk I had to call her from a pay phone. No internet at the time either. We had to drive five hours to see each other. It was rough.

More recently, just before meeting my current wife I dated a gal I met on-line who lived in three states away. That worked out a lot better. Our relationship was primarily on-line with 3-4 e-mails a day, a phone call every couple weeks, and then we'd fly to see each other about every 6-8 weeks for a long weekend or as long as a week at a time.

Obviously neither are direct comparisons to your situation, but I definitely preferred the meeting someone on line to having a relationship that had distance thrown into it after seeing each other every day for a year or so. That said, if you never meet, there's always that doubt that it's not real, that you're being catfished.
Lurker
0 likes
I've lived long distance relationship being married. In my case only made me hate my marriage more.
And a bad relationship will only get worse with the long distance.
Lurker
0 likes
first one is harder than second one to handle. When you touch once, kiss once, feel him/her body once, I don't think you can handle with it when he/she is far away. so, I would prefer second situation.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
I've had a few long distance relationships, and in almost all cases, there must be a stabilizing factor or a goal to work towards. Otherwise, it eventually falls apart.
Just keep wallowing in your own chaotic insecure delusions.
Lurker
0 likes
The only good long distance relationship I ever had was the one I had with my husband. It was difficult to be apart but it worked out in the end. Anyone can say anything online, but having that person in real time and then not having them is harder because you really know what you are missing.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
when you've met someone on lline
what's up sunshine
0 likes
I've done the longest distance relationship before. It took patience. He was in the Army deployed to Kandahar, Afganistan for about 9 months. We worked through it. ( He is my ex) ( we met in high school)