Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

Would you rather be liked, or respected?

last reply
28 replies
1.9k views
0 watchers
0 likes

Liked or Respected?

16 votes remaining
Liked (1 vote) 6%
Respected (23 votes) 144%
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Like the topic says: Would you rather be liked, or respected?

I would like to preface this first: This does not necessarily apply to how you present yourself on Lush or in the Real World. We often have to make personal sacrifices for the sake of our professional lives which often contradicts our personal feelings.

Ultimately though, all things said and done, would you rather be liked by your peers, or respected by your peers? You can only pick one.
Just keep wallowing in your own chaotic insecure delusions.
Big-haired Bitch
0 likes
It's impossible to be liked by everyone you ever come across. There are people that I don't like, so it's a rather ridiculous notion (to me) to want to be liked by everyone.

I prefer respect. Well actually, I prefer not to be disrespected. There's a difference. There are people I can't stand, but I will be cordial and civil...or simply pretend they don't exist. And that's what I prefer in return. If you hate me or strongly (or weakly) dislike me, that's totally fine. But either be cordial/civil or pretend I don't exist. But do not disrespect me.

░P░U░S░S░Y░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░

Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Dunno. Which one offers the best chances for me to get laid?

Seriously, I chose Respected.

In a way, 'liking' someone is just a higher version of 'respecting' someone; if you like a person, chances are you'll also feel inclined to show him respect. Having said that, in most of my interactions I'm really not asking for much more than respect; being 'liked' by too many persons can almost get annoying in certain situations (at least to me); I enjoy my periodic solitude.

Plus, I often find just as much enlightenment in being 'disliked' by others, so long as they show me enough respect to carry constructive discussions.

Edit: I just saw the similarity with Machiavelli's The Prince, where he wrote that a great leader must both be 'liked' and 'feared'. If this interrogation was meant to be seen under that perspective (choosing one over the other), I guess it would often be situational. Some situations warrant more fondness from people, others warrant authority.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I don't care.

If someone doesn't like me or respect me doesn't really matter much anymore.
I spent many years being disrespected because of who I was (A women), what I was (A single mom with a bastard child) and where I worked (As a bartender in a strip club).
I had lots of people that liked me and I thought respected me. But in the end, neither did a thing for me, nor stood up for me when I really needed the help.
Well-respected members of society tend to trod all over the rights of well-liked people so I'd much rather avoid both.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I cannot force anyone to like or respect me but if they do - thank you.
Lurker
0 likes
In Lush it matters not an iota to me...I know what I am dealing with. Its the land of sleeping people without down for their pillows.
Lurker
0 likes
Being "liked" or "Popular" ends with your last high school yearbook. Being respected covers all aspects and lasts a lifetime.
Lurker
0 likes
Respect it will go a long ways. showing a little respect carries a lot of weight you get so much more giving respect to a person.
Lurker
0 likes
Respected
Lurker
0 likes
Respected.
anyone can like you.
0 likes
Quote by adagio_sabadicus
In Lush it matters not an iota to me...I know what I am dealing with. Its the land of sleeping people without down for their pillows.

@in general: I have a down pillow AND a feather/down mattress! smile
Respect.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Why do the two have to be mutually exclusive? Would I like to be respected but not liked by everyone? No, that would be lonely. Would I like to be liked but not respected? No, that would be empty.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
Head Penguin
0 likes
Quote by Dani
It's impossible to be liked by everyone you ever come across. There are people that I don't like, so it's a rather ridiculous notion (to me) to want to be liked by everyone.

I prefer respect. Well actually, I prefer not to be disrespected. There's a difference. There are people I can't stand, but I will be cordial and civil...or simply pretend they don't exist. And that's what I prefer in return. If you hate me or strongly (or weakly) dislike me, that's totally fine. But either be cordial/civil or pretend I don't exist. But do not disrespect me.

Very well put

A First Class Service Ch.5

A steamy lesbian three way

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Dani

^^I couldn't have said it better myself.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Ill go along with the theme I prefer to be respected.
From a professional point of view when I was a team leader I was both respected and liked by my staff, however this can become a problem when people become over familiar with you and feel they don't have to show proper respect or professionalism in the work place. You also find that if you have good strong friendships they will also respect you, so yeah I would prefer to be respected.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Respect is paramount.
I know many people 'like' me as a result of something I have done to improve their day.
Respect is earned - to be liked can be fairly basic.
Lurker
0 likes
I don't need to be liked. I could live with not being liked. But respect..that's a different story
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
respected. if you don't like me, fine. i get it. but don't disrespect me. it's one of the few things that really pisses me off. sometimes there's a little too much street still in me.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
This is the kind of question that always results in interesting answers, regardless of which answer is chosen.
Just keep wallowing in your own chaotic insecure delusions.
Lurker
0 likes
Respected, many less than respectable people are VERY likeable!
Devil's Advocate
0 likes
Respected, of course.

But it's not a mutually exclusive choice. Professional respect is one thing, whereas being likable is another. Just because you have a hard job with difficult decisions, doesn't mean you have to be an ass about it.

Unless you're a hitman, there's really no reason why you can't be both.
My latest story is a racy little piece about what happens when someone cute from work invites you over to watch Netflix and Chill.
Lurker
0 likes
Ok call me crazy but the site I used to be in I didn't friend anyone without chatting with them. I got to like them and I had two friends I grew to respect after years of chatting. I still keep in touch with them but only email. I think we all really want both to be liked and the respect...
Lurker
0 likes
Much rather be respected.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
At work, respected. I run construction crews, which is not wholly unlike dealing with guys in prison in that if you're not down, you're out.

Everywhere else, liked. Trust is more important than respect in personal relationships. If you're my friend you can think I'm a goofball- because I absolutely am- just know I love you and will always be there in every way.
Lurker
0 likes
I've always been respected, I just would like to be liked more
Lurker
0 likes
Respected. I really don't care about people liking me. Plus I tend to like people more when they respect me and those around me