Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

Where do you get the images you use for your story covers?

last reply
6 replies
1.1k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
I have difficulty finding pics that I can be sure are not copyrighted. The only way I know of to do this is if:

1) it is a pic I have taken myself (I'm not a great photographer)
2) it is something so old it is in the public domain (usually works of art rather than pics)
3) you have paid the photographer for the use of their image.

If anyone knows of any other options I would love to hear them! I have quite a few images i have come across that would be the perfect addition to my story but without knowing the legalities I am hesitant to use them.
"Things that are acceptable to the masses are generally mediocre" Dita Von Teese

To Read my Famous story "Amys first time" click here
Click here for "Amy's Awakening"
Follow this link for part 3, "Amys Arousal"
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
As with anything else in the known universe these days, you just type in what you want in the browser window and push enter. In this case 'royalty-free stock image sites.'

There are quite a few stock photo agencies that specialize in royalty-free images. I mostly use Bigstock.com. Their prices are very affordable. Most of the images I've used for my story/book covers cost less than $10 USD. I then use Word Paint to add titling. The covers are very presentable - they pass muster for inclusion on the smashwords premium list (A presentable cover is one of the few big requirements to get titles included on the premium list). The images these sites sell have a few restrictions, but none that are associated with using the images for book covers.

If you go to my profile page here you'll find all the covers in my photo albums section (and the cover to the right that acts as my avatar is a cover made in this way). Of course, they're also available for viewing on my author page at smashwords.
Lurker
0 likes
Now, I get mine from Depositphotos and 123rf. The cost is low (images don't have to be HUGE - smaller images cost less). At most I've spent $3 for some images I needed high res closeups of. $1 or $2 can get good quality photos if you use a program like gimp to increase the dpi from 72 to 200 or 300
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
I always use some royalte free websites like morguefiles.com
Check out Office Sluts: The First Weeks at Smashwords!
Sophisticate
0 likes
Please remember when you choose an image for your story that it is posted on the public part of the site. This being the case, no hardcore images including genitalia are permitted.
Buxom Enigma
0 likes
If you use Google Images, enter your desired topic and press enter .... You'll see "Web, Images, Maps, Videos, Shopping, More" ... clicking "More" drops a few more options some people don't even know about.

If you click "Usage Rights" you can actually find free images that have been released for public usage, use with modification, et cetera. And it's free. I've found several images there that work great!
"Good writing is supposed to evoke sensation in the reader - not the fact that it is raining, but the feeling of being rained upon." -E.L. Doctorow