Meditation

last reply
14 replies
1.8k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
I've been interested in meditation sporadically since some years ago, and lately I've been trying to follow a daily routine.

A friend of mine initially got me interested in it, though she provided me some guided meditation CDs and I just couldn't stand that. Somehow when instructions are given verbally, it just triggers my rational brain and the whole meditation session loses its purpose for me.

Since about a year, I've been listening to Theta waves videos on YouTube for about 10 minutes per day, but I've been rather inconsistent. I found a few videos that I like; mainly I prefer those where only random binaural waves are heard (in stereo). Frogs and birds annoy the fuck out of me. I also listen to them with headphones, to benefit from the binaural effect.

Apparently Theta waves trigger the subconscious/dreamlike part of the brain (Theta waves are dominant in the brain during REM sleep). This makes me very relaxed and focused, but now I just discovered that Alpha waves can also be useful to stimulate learning/memory.

Does anybody have advices to share?

Which are most useful, Theta or Alpha waves? Any routine to recommend?

Thanks!
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
This is the video I usually listen to:

Matriarch
0 likes
Thanks for posting those videos.

I usually do a simple counting meditation or candle (the latter can be too bright a lot of the time, depending on my mood).
In-House Sapiosexual
0 likes
I think I have problems sitting still. My body has to be envolved in my meditation or my mind will take over, regardless of sounds or effort. Tai Chi works perfectly for me. It quiets me and I concentrate on movement. It really gets me in touch with my body. And I know this sounds a bit funny, I can actually feel the play with air as I move--the give and the pull. It clears my mind. I get that same kind of zone with running in the morning. My breathing, heart beat, feet hitting the ground creates a rhythm. The wind, early morning chill and sunrise gets to me. That's my meditation.

I like yoga too, but it makes me feel very sexual. I get horny as hell. I haven't figured that one out yet.
? A True Story ?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I've used a candle in a dark room. I like listening to ocean waves. I also like listening to the sound of rain falling in a forest. I have a CD that's a whole hour of simple rainfall. The randomness of it blurs everything else into nonexistence.

Avrgblkgrl: I want to learn tai chi. I've trained in martial arts before, but at this phase in my life I want to relax more and the katas in full-on karate are anything but. Where's the best place to go to find a tai chi class near me?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I've found a couple "water music" channels on Pandora that works for my purposes. I call it a nap though, not meditation.
“It's nice sometimes to open up the heart a little and let some hurt come in. It proves you're still alive.”
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I don't know if Youtube's compression has messed with the sound but I find the music in those videos actually grates rather than relaxes. Though i'm not listening on headphones so that might have something to do with the overall effect

Not sure how you could meditate to it
Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

Why not read some stories instead

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
In-House Sapiosexual
0 likes
Quote by MrNudiePants
Avrgblkgrl: I want to learn tai chi. I've trained in martial arts before, but at this phase in my life I want to relax more and the katas in full-on karate are anything but. Where's the best place to go to find a tai chi class near me?

When I first moved here, I just went to the internet and found a couple of classes that were close. I read up a little on the instructors and how many moves they taught, levels, things like that. I prefer someone with some recognition. Some times I will sit in on a group. The thing is, once you learn the movements well and they become rather natural for you, you don't necessarilly need anyone else. It will just flow and when it does your really alone in your own mind anyway. Of course, later you may want to expand on styles and techniques. There are some that can be quite athletic.
? A True Story ?
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Thanks for all the advices people. It's somehow funny/interesting that every person seems to have a favorite method to meditate. Some techniques I've tried really weren't for me.

Personally, I prefer just a quick dedicated session per day (10 minutes), but with these Theta/Alpha waves my brain really frees itself from any rational thought; not a single thought crosses my mind when I'm meditating, which is pretty much the only moment during the day where my analytical mind isn't rambling about something.

I feel extremely relaxed and focused after just a quick session.

Quote by overmykneenow
I don't know if Youtube's compression has messed with the sound but I find the music in those videos actually grates rather than relaxes. Though i'm not listening on headphones so that might have something to do with the overall effect

Not sure how you could meditate to it

I'm not sure what exactly annoys you, but the quality is perfectly acceptable to me.

I know some people just can't stand listening to only those waves though, without any other background sounds (rain, animals, ocean, etc.); Theta/Alpha waves are also available with all these sounds, sometimes with music too. I'm actually the exact opposite of that, and really prefer to avoid any distractions.
Devil's Advocate
0 likes
Meditation gives me the shits. I just like to zone out and daydream, usually when I'm travelling somewhere, but increasingly at work.
My latest story is a racy little piece about what happens when someone cute from work invites you over to watch Netflix and Chill.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by avrgblkgrl
I think I have problems sitting still. My body has to be envolved in my meditation or my mind will take over, regardless of sounds or effort. Tai Chi works perfectly for me. It quiets me and I concentrate on movement. It really gets me in touch with my body. And I know this sounds a bit funny, I can actually feel the play with air as I move--the give and the pull. It clears my mind. I get that same kind of zone with running in the morning. My breathing, heart beat, feet hitting the ground creates a rhythm. The wind, early morning chill and sunrise gets to me. That's my meditation.

I like yoga too, but it makes me feel very sexual. I get horny as hell. I haven't figured that one out yet.

In terms of not being able to sit still, it's just a matter of practice. Everyone's mind is like the way you described your mind. The common term in the East is "monkey mind," because your and everyone else's thoughts are like a monkey; hyper, constantly moving, shifting and generally all over the place. As in all things, consistency is the key. With practice, you get better. That's all.

One thing to bear in mind is that with yoga, the postures are designed and practied to make it so you can sit comfortably in meditation. When dealing with taijiquan, seated meditation is supposed to follow practicing the form to "purify" the energy you develop from practicing the movements. It creates a balance between the yang energies developed doing the form and the yin energies that are generated in seated mediation. The reason yoga (and perhaps taijiquan) might make you randy is because it develops that vital energy (kundalini in yoga or "chi" in the Chinese model) which, according the Chinese anyway, manifests itself physically as sexual energy. Try reading Mantak Chia's books on qi gong and taijiquan. He specifically addresses the correlation between sexual energy and those kind of practices.
Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
I've been meditating almost daily for 15 years. I wrote an article about the basics of meditation that may help...

http://sweetnet.us/?p=1139
Lurker
0 likes
"Meditation is the best gift you can give yourself." -Sogyal Rinpoche. Just speaking for myself, I can't imagine life without it. It's like going out into a snowstorm dressed only in your socks.