chat room dialogue.

last reply
5 replies
1.0k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I'm in the process of writing a new story but need some help. How is it best to set out a conversation between people in the setting of a chat room situation. As its not really direct speech how is best to lay it out in the story? thank you
Story Verifier
0 likes
I'd use italics and, depending on how you weave it into the story, single quotes to distinguish it. If you're talking about longer chunks, separate paragraphs may be an option too, but you may run the danger of overdoing it. Generally speaking, it's just another form of quoted speech and all you need is to make it appear distinctive enough (therefor the italics and single quotes) from regular quoted speech, if you have any.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
thank you chrissie, but after checking sites and knowing you personally have verified a few of my stories would this sort of thing be acceptable?
My mysterious lady had signed on again. I squealed with delight, already excited by the implications. I sat down and started typing.

StudPower69: Hey babe is that you?
SexyFoxy69: it sure is, lover
StudPower69: Hey wait you are a chick rite?

I waited for her answer, afraid to breathe. Five seconds later, I had it.

SexyFoxy69: Yes

I sighed. This was going to be a good night.
Story Verifier
0 likes
If there's not too much of it, putting that in italics should work. I myself don't like that style though, I'd rather weave it into narrative.

My mysterious lady SexyFox69 had signed on again. I squealed with delight, already excited by the implications. I logged in with my screen name StudPower69 and started typing, the words appearing next to my name as soon as I hit the enter key. 'Hey babe is that you?'

Her reply was instant. 'it sure is, lover'

I felt the need to reassure myself, though. 'Hey wait you are a chick rite?' I waited for her answer, afraid to breath. Five seconds later, I had it.

'Yes,' she wrote, and I sighed. This was going to be a good night.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
thank you very much, glad I asked. Your way is better,gives a lot more scope and builds a better atmosphere to the conversation.
Story Verifier
0 likes
I'm always glad when I can help! Good luck with your story!