last reply
64 replies
4.7k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
To the best of my knowledge, there are three styles for writing dialogues:

1. David said, "Those who get here first with their water bottles filled. They shall win the race."

2. David said: "Those who get here first with their water bottles filled. They shall win the race."

3. David said: Those who get here first with their water bottles filled. They shall win the race.

Usually the first style, the one with a comma (,) is used for short quotations of less than ten words. The latter two with a colon (smile are used for longer quotations.

I also know that it is not any fast and hard thumb rule to use the above as exact. Writers may adopt for their choice of style, but if anybody could please tell me whether the latter two styles are accepted on Lush stories. I would really appreciate it.
Head Nurse
0 likes
Quote by asklan
To the best of my knowledge, there are three styles for writing dialogues:

1. David said, "Those who get here first with their water bottles filled. They shall win the race."

2. David said: "Those who get here first with their water bottles filled. They shall win the race."

3. David said: Those who get here first with their water bottles filled. They shall win the race.

Usually the first style, the one with a comma (,) is used for short quotations of less than ten words. The latter two with a colon (smile are used for longer quotations.

I also know that it is not any fast and hard thumb rule to use the above as exact. Writers may adopt for their choice of style, but if anybody could please tell me whether the latter two styles are accepted on Lush stories. I would really appreciate it.

http://www.lushstories.com/forum/yaf_postst27829_Formatting-Dialogue.aspx

you might find this link helpful
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Dirty_D

[url=][/url]

you might find this link helpful

Thanks for the link. I have already red it earlier many times. I am afraid that there is not even the mention of the other (colon) styles of dialogue formatting. That is why I have posted this thread, hoping that may be the other styles of quotations are admissible as well.

I have a story returned to me because I have used the above (colon) styles in quoting the dialogues. Verb tense, articles and typos are few other things require to be reviewed again. If other styles are also admissible than I would only need to work on Verb tense, articles and typos, or else I would have to restart from the starting.
Blackbird Supernova
0 likes
Quote by asklan

Our dialogue resource, provided by Dirty_D, is our rule for dialogue. As to your question, in bold above, the answer is no, we don't allow them. We try to maintain a standard dialogue style, and as such have put together a concise guide with the acceptable form. Please use this guide in your future writing when submitting to Lush.

Thank you.

--RavenStar (story moderator)
Clumeleon
0 likes
In works of fiction, it is not so common to use colons to introduce dialogue, though I have seen it.

Certainly it would not usually be used in this way. One would tend to use a colon to introduce a quotation, rather than live dialogue.

The link that Dirty_D provided gives the standards for dialogue formatting that we expect on Lush. While we're not averse to talented writers injecting something of their own style, if done well, we like to maintain a certain level of consistency with things like this, or else we get authors trying to use all sorts of interesting stylistic quirks.
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Quote by clum
...or else we get authors trying to use all sorts of interesting stylistic quirks.

Guilty of this. Though often mine are more annoying than interesting, as a few of the mods have already discovered ("Sorry," he said sheepishly.).

I've only seen the first example--no colon--used in dialogue. I'm fond of dialogue with no quotation marks, because I like the sparse way it looks on the page, but that is, I think, one of the interesting/annoying stylistic quirks they want to avoid.
Clumeleon
0 likes
Quote by Verbal
Guilty of this. Though often mine are more annoying than interesting, as a few of the mods have already discovered ("Sorry," he said sheepishly.).

I was being polite when I said "interesting". :P
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by RavenStar

Our dialogue resource, provided by Dirty_D, is our rule for dialogue. As to your question, in bold above, the answer is no, we don't allow them. We try to maintain a standard dialogue style, and as such have put together a concise guide with the acceptable form. Please use this guide in your future writing when submitting to Lush.

Thank you.

--RavenStar (story moderator)

Actually the standard dialogue style and the one with colon that I have used in few place in the story...Ok never mind....
Thanks for the info anyways.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by clum
In works of fiction, it is not so common to use colons to introduce dialogue, though I have seen it.

Certainly it would not usually be used in this way. One would tend to use a colon to introduce a quotation, rather than live dialogue.

The link that Dirty_D provided gives the standards for dialogue formatting that we expect on Lush. While we're not averse to talented writers injecting something of their own style, if done well, we like to maintain a certain level of consistency with things like this, or else we get authors trying to use all sorts of interesting stylistic quirks.

Yes of course, thank for the input, I guess. Please.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Verbal

I've only seen the first example--no colon--used in dialogue. I'm fond of dialogue with no quotation marks, because I like the sparse way it looks on the page, but that is, I think, one of the interesting/annoying stylistic quirks they want to avoid.

Thanks for sharing it. I can understand pretty well, writer's delight. lol
Lurker
0 likes
When I submitted my first story to this site one of the moderators pointed out that my punctuation was flawed. She asked me to change. I resisted. She insisted. She was adamant. I relented. She was correct. She made me a better writer.

Ignorance and creativity are not synonyms. That said, the tone of this discussion concerns me. I ask you, would this site have accepted e.e. cummings poem, "i carry your heart with me"?
Head Nurse
0 likes
Poems have separate rules. (See the a-z guide for further answers there) but in general IF a poem is consistent, then yes.
Lurker
0 likes
I think the statement, poems have rules is exactly what e.e. cummings was challenging. The world is a much softer place when we're all just a little bit more flexible.
Head Nurse
0 likes
I've read Cummings. He was still consistent. One of my personal favorite poets was heavily edited both in her own lifetime, and after her death. It is fairly recent that Emily Dickinson's work is printed as she wrote it. Having to conform to the publishing rules of the house where a work appears is not new. As one of the story moderators (of which I am not) mentioned, they work with quality writers to help ensure their work appears as intended. However, consistency in a poem is not a bad thing. If I am being distracted by the punctuation and capitalization of the words, I, as a reader, am speedbumped and thus lose your thought and meaning. Yes, great poets take risks sometimes, but they still think of the reader's experience.
Lurker
0 likes
In my first comment I said that, ignorance and creativity are not synonyms. I took direction and believe that it made me a better writer. I'm not trying to defend bad writing. My concern is that a strict adherence to rules for the sake of conformity stifles creativity. Yes, Cummings understood the basic rules of poetry and actually conformed to them, but he also deliberately challenged them. Sometimes it's fun to color outside the lines.
Lurker
0 likes
There is Violet, the color and there is nobody. Nobody has got the Violet. Nobody starts preserving it. So, nobody is what? Maybe..., Nobody, the wise.

Then there is Somebody. Somebody who knows that violet isn't the only color. There are many more colors out there and it is colorful. Somebody might not be wise, but Somebody is happy.

Ignorance and creativity are not synonyms, but creativity isn't just a one color, creativity is the colorful.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by asklan
There is Violet, the color and there is nobody. Nobody has got the Violet. Nobody starts preserving it. So, nobody is what? Maybe..., Nobody, the wise.

Then there is Somebody. Somebody who knows that violet isn't the only color. There are many more colors out there and it is colorful. Somebody might not be wise, but Somebody is happy.

Ignorance and creativity are not synonyms, but creativity isn't just a one color, creativity is the colorful.

Couldn't agree more.

And yet, Lush Stories has a certain 'House Style', carefully explained, and qualified and dedicated mods to explain and discuss that house-style if needs specific arise...

I have and more than once in the past played fast and loose with rules of style we employ here. I find if you explain what you're trying to accomplish to a querying mod, you will at least get a fair hearing. But SOMETIMES they'll say, 'not really for us' and that's their job.

We've all had the unhappy experience of websites that have no editorial control policy whatever.

Lush Policy, as I understand it, is in place to aid readers, writers and prospective writers, and to insure that as far as possible the various works published here are of an acceptable standard in terms of quality.

I think they do it really well.

xx Steph
Clumeleon
0 likes
Please don't think anyone is trying to quash your creativity.

Mods are accommodating. We hear out reasonable requests. The vast majority of us are writers ourselves, and we understand.

We have a house style. In whose interest is this style? Readers, new and amateur writers, and (quite importantly) the mods. So, basically, 99.9% (probably more) of our membership benefit from our push for consistency. We need something to work to, or it becomes a free-for-all and, frankly, a mess.

Be creative, please, I beg of you. In the land of adult fiction, we NEED creative. But be creative in your plot and character development, be creative in your vocabulary and sentence structure. Even be creative with your style, but please don't give your loving mods headaches unnecessarily. We're not being unreasonable; we're just doing our job the best we can.
Lurker
0 likes
I have the deepest respect for the moderators at this site. In the short time I've been posting here I have encountered several and all of them have been understanding, kind and helpful. They are one of the reasons that posting stories at this site is so enjoyable.

In a previous post I said that sometimes it's fun to color outside the lines. What I failed to say, is that before we venture to color outside the lines it's essential that we understand the lines and why they exist. This is a community of amateur writers. Many of us benefit from a little guidance. I certainly do.

Dirty_D I use quite a bit of dialogue in my stories. That was actually what originally drew me to this thread. The first moderator I encountered at this site graciously helped me clean up the punctuation in the dialogue in my current story. While she was an excellent teacher and made me a better writer, I still have a lot of room to grow. This week I plan to read your guidelines. Thank you for taking the time to provide a resource for us.

e.e. Cummings did color outside the lines, but he had a firm understanding of the lines and why they existed. I think that's one of the important differences between scribbling and art.
Head Nurse
0 likes
Quote by goodhusband
I have the deepest respect for the moderators at this site. In the short time I've been posting here I have encountered several and all of them have been understanding, kind and helpful. They are one of the reasons that posting stories at this site is so enjoyable.

In a previous post I said that sometimes it's fun to color outside the lines. What I failed to say, is that before we venture to color outside the lines it's essential that we understand the lines and why they exist. This is a community of amateur writers. Many of us benefit from a little guidance. I certainly do.

Dirty_D I use quite a bit of dialogue in my stories. That was actually what originally drew me to this thread. The first moderator I encountered at this site graciously helped me clean up the punctuation in the dialogue in my current story. While she was an excellent teacher and made me a better writer, I still have a lot of room to grow. This week I plan to read your guidelines. Thank you for taking the time to provide a resource for us.

e.e. Cummings did color outside the lines, but he had a firm understanding of the lines and why they existed. I think that's one of the important differences between scribbling and art.

I only wish I could claim the authorship of that guide! It was written by the senior story mod who responded above, Clum. smile he's taught me plenty as well, as have many of the mods, not the least of all to be as humble as many of them are. :)
Lurker
0 likes
Well, I have never doubted, or questioned the mod or any mods. Even when I said that my story was rejected, I have already mentioned that along with writing style there were other problems as well.

I don't know why you guys have to mold this particular thread into some sort of moderator praising creditworthiness holy book.

All I have asked for a simple info on writing style and what I got is that mods are accommodating, mods are understanding, they are helpful, they must get respect and so on.

Guys this isn't about mods at all and I really don't get it why you people are trying to make it about mods

I can totally understand that mods are volunteering their time and so deserve the respect. Even at the time of story submission, I always thank them beforehand, for their time. No mater even when if they are to reject my story. Specially, in times, when I believe it should not be rejected, but, truth to be told, here in this thread; it is already started to sound, more like a moderator friendly rather than a writer or user friendly.

Writers and authors spend their time on the stories, thus they also volunteer their time and a lot more than any mods, moreover writers volunteer their stories to the forum and for free.

So, if they are no writers and authors, the time that mods are volunteering, will not be of much use. It is the writers and authors who builds a story forum.

Please don't try to change the subject, and it is not the mods.
Clumeleon
0 likes
Quote by asklan

This was your original post. You asked whether the styles were accepted on Lush. You were told no, and you were told why, in great detail. Essentially, the thread has served its purpose. The conversation has continued and evolved, as they are wont to do.

This topic was about your story being rejected for a number of reasons, one of which was the fact that you did not conform to the site's expected dialogue format. The intention of your post, I suspect, was to get people to back you up. That didn't really happen.

The impression I get is that you feel you are not allowed to flex your "creative muscles" as much as you would like here on Lush, that you are not being given enough wiggle room. That's why the mods were brought up.

You've had your question answered, and it has, evidently, provided a decent starting point for a wider discussion. The thread can go as off-topic as it wants now, because there's nothing left to say about your original question.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by clum

This was your original post. You asked whether the styles were accepted on Lush. You were told no, and you were told why, in great detail. Essentially, the thread has served its purpose. The conversation has continued and evolved, as they are wont to do.

This topic was about your story being rejected for a number of reasons, one of which was the fact that you did not conform to the site's expected dialogue format. The intention of your post, I suspect, was to get people to back you up. That didn't really happen.

The impression I get is that you feel you are not allowed to flex your "creative muscles" as much as you would like here on Lush, that you are not being given enough wiggle room. That's why the mods were brought up.

You've had your question answered, and it has, evidently, provided a decent starting point for a wider discussion. The thread can go as off-topic as it wants now, because there's nothing left to say about your original question.

Because, I didn't get people to back me up. So, you started backing up the mods, but, for what?

Have I said anything bad for the mod?
No, I haven’t
Did I abuse the mod?
No I didn’t

I just posted a thread to get a little info because I thought may be the other styles were admissible as well. I didn't post the thread to read off topic praises about mods. If you wanted to post the off topic, you could have just started a new thread. Or, is that against the rule book?

Is this the another rule that the one who has started the thread, should not control it, and that people will only post in the praise of mods, even if it is not the requirement of the thread. Is that?

If I have posted something about the mods I am sure I would have got banned and deleted.

And, here you have evidently HIJACKED the thread that I have started (no, I am not suspecting cause it is clearly seen), and you have changed its original subject into your own so called wide discussion, moreover, you are MOCKING me and BULLING me. When I tried of preventing the forced changing of the subject of my thread, you have started suspecting and accusing me of your perceived intentions of my post. Is there any place, I can make complain? Or you can just bully me, because you are a MOD, yet another RULE, I guess.

Since from the start, you are misleading the people and posting things off topic, in the praise of mods, and absolutely, for no reason. (You were doing it knowingly and deliberately on purpose.)
I gave a little credit to the writers and the authors, and you have felt a deep intense STING in your ***
(Very accommodating, helpful and understanding)

You are a Mod and it is your duty to see that people don't hijack and post off topic in other people's thread. And, here, you are yourself posting off topic in other people's thread, misleading and provoking them, instead.

I get it and I am agree with it that mod volunteer their time, but it doesn't mean that you go on posting off topic praises in dedication of mods, in every other thread that you see, even when if it is not the needed and nor its the requirement of the thread.

If you got itch so bad, for posting off topic things in the praise of mods, you could have scratched it, just by starting a new thread. Why hijacked mine?

You have violated the basic internet etiquette and you should be apologizing me, for hijacking and posting off topic into my thread, but, instead, you are bulling me and mocking me.

Stop posting off topic under other people's thread!
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
Quote by asklan

Because, I didn't get people to back me up. So, you started backing up the mods, but, for what?

Have I said anything bad for the mod?
No, I haven’t
Did I abuse the mod?
No I didn’t

I just posted a thread to get a little info because I thought may be the other styles were admissible as well. I didn't post the thread to read off topic praises about mods. If you wanted to post the off topic, you could have just started a new thread. Or, is that against the rule book?

Is this the another rule that the one who has started the thread, should not control it, and that people will only post in the praise of mods, even if it is not the requirement of the thread. Is that?

If I have posted something about the mods I am sure I would have got banned and deleted.

And, here you have evidently HIJACKED the thread that I have started (no, I am not suspecting cause it is clearly seen), and you have changed its original subject into your own so called wide discussion, moreover, you are MOCKING me and BULLING me. When I tried of preventing the forced changing of the subject of my thread, you have started suspecting and accusing me of your perceived intentions of my post. Is there any place, I can make complain? Or you can just bully me, because you are a MOD, yet another RULE, I guess.

Since from the start, you are misleading the people and posting things off topic, in the praise of mods, and absolutely, for no reason. (You were doing it knowingly and deliberately on purpose.)
I gave a little credit to the writers and the authors, and you have felt a deep intense STING in your ***
(Very accommodating, helpful and understanding)

You are a Mod and it is your duty to see that people don't hijack and post off topic in other people's thread. And, here, you are yourself posting off topic in other people's thread, misleading and provoking them, instead.

I get it and I am agree with it that mod volunteer their time, but it doesn't mean that you go on posting off topic praises in dedication of mods, in every other thread that you see, even when if it is not the needed and nor its the requirement of the thread.

If you got itch so bad, for posting off topic things in the praise of mods, you could have scratched it, just by starting a new thread. Why hijacked mine?

You have violated the basic internet etiquette and you should be apologizing me, for hijacking and posting off topic into my thread, but, instead, you are bulling me and mocking me.

Time to switch to decaf, buddy.
Lurker
0 likes
This is second thread with similar topic that I entered in few minutes gaps..; I do not understand why you and the other guy are complaining?
Look, try to look at lushstories.com as one of publishing houses.
When writer finishes book, he tries to publish it with one of the houses, right.. do you really think that every book ever written is published?? No. Because different houses, different rules and different standards/criteria. Lushstories.com has its own, deal with it, change your writings to mach its standards/criteria or find another house to publish your work., Very, very easy and simple logic.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by asklan

With respect, I can't agree.

If you question Lush Editorial Policy then BY IMPLICATION, you question those who police and in many cases have formulated that policy. (Mods.)

So a response in that regard is valid.

Incidentally, AS FAR AS I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN AWARE, Lush Ed Policy is very organic in both form and application. On a daily basis decisions are debated and discussed and discoursed...

Just TO BE QUITE CLEAR, I was FIRED off the Lush Senior StoryMod panel for an indefensible act of stupidity so I have EVERY REASON to have issues with them! But I DON'T! People have NO IDEA how much work moderators, (in all guises) put in! In Every Case, (and I KNOW this for a fact) their OVER-RIDING concern is for New Talent and New Writing.

In almost EVERY case, a decision returned to a writer might have been discussed by anything up to a dozen moderators from every grade.

Let me finish on this...

Let's say a Lush Mod ALLOWS you to post a work that is STYLISTICALLY very different in terms of House Style to previously published works...

THREE THINGS HAPPEN!

(a) Most IMPORTANTLY, the wider Lush readership, (used to the house style) conclude that you have no idea how to write grammatically. (Obviously THIS does you no favours!)

(b) It is assumed that the verifying mod was in error. (So every decision they have ever made is now up for question...)

(c) Quite Honestly, our Front Page, (I still say OUR, I'm still a Lush Member) now has a stain upon it...

xx Steph
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by She
This is second thread with similar topic that I entered in few minutes gaps..; I do not understand why you and the other guy are complaining?
Look, try to look at lushstories.com as one of publishing houses.
When writer finishes book, he tries to publish it with one of the houses, right.. do you really think that every book ever written is published?? No. Because different houses, different rules and different standards/criteria. Lushstories.com has its own, deal with it, change your writings to mach its standards/criteria or find another house to publish your work., Very, very easy and simple logic.

I don't know what you have read before on other thread, but I have never made any complaints in my thread. All I have asked for a simple info on writing style, because I thought that maybe the other writing styles are also permitted.

The complaining thing started when other mods came in and hijacked the thread, and started posting off topic things, verses praising and dedicating mods for no reason. It was never the requirement of the thread. It was never asked and it was never needed.

You just look at my first post and then tell me. What it has got to do with posting versed and praises dedicating to mods?
Even the writer's resource has got nothing to do with posting verses and praises dedicating to mods. It is to help writers and when you go there you see rules and then all you see are verses and praises dedicating to mods. The real questions are somewhere at the back. Then you makes mistakes and get your story rejected.

I know I can't change forum rules, but, atleast, I am entitled to see, that the thread which I have started won't go off topic.

You just take your own example, because this thread have been hijacked by mods and they have posted off topic things turning it into some sort of their own wider discussion thing. This doing of mod has made you read like as if I have posted this thread for complaining the writing style.

This is what happens when your thread gets hijacked, this is what happen when people starts posting off topic.

This is what I was trying to prevent when mods has started accusing me and bulling me. Even mocked at me.

I know Mods volunteer their time, but that doesn't means that mods can go around posting verses and praises dedicating to mods everywhere on the site. Specially not in the place where it is not even the requirement. Mods could just start a special thread to serve their purpose of posting verses and praises dedicating to mods and they could post it there all the time.
Atleast, for a little decency, mod should let alone and leave out the other people's thread from posting off topic things and turning it into something else from it original meaning. Then calling it a developed for wider discussion. Which it isn't cause its purely hijacking and purely bulling and its wrong.

It is the complaint. Writing rules are never the complain.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by stephanie

With respect, I can't agree.

If you question Lush Editorial Policy then BY IMPLICATION, you question those who police and in many cases have formulated that policy. (Mods.)

So a response in that regard is valid.

Incidentally, AS FAR AS I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN AWARE, Lush Ed Policy is very organic in both form and application. On a daily basis decisions are debated and discussed and discoursed...

Just TO BE QUITE CLEAR, I was FIRED off the Lush Senior StoryMod panel for an indefensible act of stupidity so I have EVERY REASON to have issues with them! But I DON'T! People have NO IDEA how much work moderators, (in all guises) put in! In Every Case, (and I KNOW this for a fact) their OVER-RIDING concern is for New Talent and New Writing.

In almost EVERY case, a decision returned to a writer might have been discussed by anything up to a dozen moderators from every grade.

Let me finish on this...

Let's say a Lush Mod ALLOWS you to post a work that is STYLISTICALLY very different in terms of House Style to previously published works...

THREE THINGS HAPPEN!

(a) Most IMPORTANTLY, the wider Lush readership, (used to the house style) conclude that you have no idea how to write grammatically. (Obviously THIS does you no favours!)

(b) It is assumed that the verifying mod was in error. (So every decision they have ever made is now up for question...)

(c) Quite Honestly, our Front Page, (I still say OUR, I'm still a Lush Member) now has a stain upon it...

xx Steph

With respect,

My thread never asked for the things off topic verses and praises dedicated to mods. Neither, it was the requirement. All I have wanted was a simple info concerning the writing style.
I have never question ed or challenged any Mods or policy or site in my first post. You can read it yourself you, was a mod yourself.

Whatever, you are feeling, there was never a need for posting praises and verses dedicating to mods.
Clumeleon
0 likes
Quote by asklan
This is what happens when your thread gets hijacked, this is what happen when people starts posting off topic.

WARNING: This post is off-topic.

Can't you see the irony in the fact that, with your multiple complaints about "mod-praising" and people "hijacking" your thread with "off-topic" posts, you have actually taken this thread more off-topic than anyone else.

I actually don't know what you want people to post now, or why you continue to post. As I said already, there's nothing left to say that is on-topic. You asked a question, you got a clear answer. What do you want?