Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

Is a lack of confidence really that big a turn off.

last reply
33 replies
3.1k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
A problem for me is when I meet a girl I like I seem to turn to stone when she walks past and after a days of debating myself if I should ask her out or not and it takes me forever to go ahead and go for it, I try to approach her to ask but I freeze up and scurry away I know they notice this and think Im stalking them but the truth is I cant work up the nerve to ask them untill some one else snatches them up. That is the main problem I know the worst they can say is no but I fear that word for some reason. Well anyways is a shy/ unconfident guys really that big a turn off and if its can someone give me advise other than "grow a set." Because it seems for me that is a lot harder than it sounds.
Matriarch
0 likes

Sorry, that wasn't all too helpful, you just reminded me of the movie Swingers, very entertaining. Give it a viewing if you haven't already, might help you! (it's not about Swinging or anything like that).
Lurker
0 likes
Won't lie to you- being (and more importantly ACTING) insecure is not a turn-on...however, the important thing to remember is that we girls are just people too, we're not always sure about what we want or how we feel, and our minds are usually open to new people and things.

So...I'm not telling you to 'grow a set', I'm just telling you to talk to girls more, even ones you aren't attracted to or interested in. Get practice, just talk...you don't have to be clever, or funny.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Excellent advice Lexy. Ryario, the more you talk to women, the less intimidating they are. Get to know them without trying to ask them out, and asking them out becomes easier. For someone like you, (and me sometimes) it will still be hard. A beautiful woman is very intimidating. But the more you talk to beautiful women, the more you realise that they aren't that different than anyone else.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by lexylove
Won't lie to you- being (and more importantly ACTING) insecure is not a turn-on...however, the important thing to remember is that we girls are just people too, we're not always sure about what we want or how we feel, and our minds are usually open to new people and things.

So...I'm not telling you to 'grow a set', I'm just telling you to talk to girls more, even ones you aren't attracted to or interested in. Get practice, just talk...you don't have to be clever, or funny.

PS - We don't bite (well, unless we're in the mood).
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I agree with Lexy and Jebru --- try talking to girls just because; stop trying to act clever, just be you. Most of us like it when we intimidate a guy, but not enough so that they don’t talk to us. So yeah, I guess I don’t have anything new to say both people before me said it all… All I have to say is GOOD LUCK..!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Great advice ! Thanks Ladies
0 likes
Quote by Ryario_Darkstar
A problem for me is when I meet a girl I like I seem to turn to stone when she walks past and after a days of debating myself if I should ask her out or not and it takes me forever to go ahead and go for it, I try to approach her to ask but I freeze up and scurry away I know they notice this and think Im stalking them but the truth is I cant work up the nerve to ask them untill some one else snatches them up. That is the main problem I know the worst they can say is no but I fear that word for some reason. Well anyways is a shy/ unconfident guys really that big a turn off and if its can someone give me advise other than "grow a set." Because it seems for me that is a lot harder than it sounds.

A man who comes across as comfortable with himself and quietly confident is a big turn-on, but I'm not a fan of arrogance.

Do you feel nervous around all women, or just women you find attractive?
Lurker
0 likes
I think its good when both your either shy or confident self meets somebody else that is similar to your personality. i think its harder to ask people out as you get older, It is so much easier when your a teen becasue you still mix with friends from school. HB xxx good luck i'm single to so know how you feel its so hard scuse the pun haha
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Lisa
A man who comes across as comfortable with himself and quietly confident is a big turn-on, but I'm not a fan of arrogance.

This is important: confidence is not arrogance!
Lurker
0 likes
To add to what's already been said about practice (it does make perfect)... just stop trying. I know it sounds a little counterintuitive, but I was the same way as you when I was younger... all nervous when I liked a girl.

Girls can be intimidating as long as you are thinking about them as potential scores, and they can sense your interest like a shark can sense blood in the water. When you genuinely have no interest in scoring with them (the thing is you need to convince yourself, and literally not be trying to pick them up or ask them out or anything), then they sense that you are safe. Next thing you know, the two of you are chatting it up, getting to know each other, and then you're comfortable with her, and if there's a connection, it works itself out. If there's no such connection, you've made a friend.

Seriously, I have never had so much luck with the ladies as I have since I got married and stopped 'trying' to find someone. My wife says it's cause I'm 'safe' so they aren't looking at me as a predator. I dunno. Whatever it is, it works.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
To answer lisa:
Its all girls that I have an intrest with may they be hot or plain.
0 likes
Quote by Ryario_Darkstar
To answer lisa:
Its all girls that I have an intrest with may they be hot or plain.

There's some good advice in this thread. I haven't got much to add to what's already been said.

You're probably thinking too much. If your mind's full of 'what ifs' you'll become more nervous. As others have already mentioned, relaxing is important. Try not to focus on where you want the discussion to end, just enjoy the moment for what it is and forget about all the other details. I know it's easier said than done, but if you keep at it, I'm sure you'll start to feel more comfortable.
Lush Legend
0 likes
Quote by nicola

Sorry, that wasn't all too helpful, you just reminded me of the movie Swingers, very entertaining. Give it a viewing if you haven't already, might help you! (it's not about Swinging or anything like that).

OMG I love that movie!!!!.....LMAO!!!! That was the crazy telephone conversation ever...LOL!

But to answer the question it is a turn off for me IMHO because if you don't believe in yourself how do you want me to believe in you?

"Love all, trust a few, and do wrong to none."
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Most of my male friends have told me that I intimadate most men who might look at me as a date or dating material. I have been given several reasons for that response when I ask my friends why I can't get a man to pay me any attention. I don't like this idea or enjoy the thought that I would be intimadating to someone.

The best suggestions I could give you, would be find a woman when she is alone, in the coffee shop, libary, wherever (don't try to talk to her with her girlfriends around), give her a small compliement, unless she keeps the conversation open let it go for right then, and talk to her again another day.

As for your self confidence the best advice I could give would be to "fake it till you make it". This is how I have gotten myself so comfortable in my own skin, sure I still have my insecurities, but only those I let close to me know what they are. I also dress so I feel confiedent in my appearance, if you like what you see in the mirror things are less intimadating. Last peice of advice, find one thing about yourself everyday (eyes, intelligence, smile, humor etc) that you like about yourself and focus on that remind yourself through out the day about that one thing, people will see you as more confident once you begin to see yourself that way.

I hope that something here is helpful for you! Good Luck!

Apple
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
What the other girls have said.

And try and avoid asking questions like "can you lick your own pussy?"
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Here's an idea that worked well for a friend of my brother's who was painfully shy around girls. He just started asking out every possible female he met. (He even asked out my mother!) Sure, he got shot down a LOT, but the sting of it faded, and he got pretty comfortable around women to where he would have real conversations with them and he started getting a fair amount of them to go out with him.

Just remember, the worst thing we can do is say "no". Some of us are serious bitches about it, but most of us are fairly nice.*

*I do remember a woman who turned my brother down by putting her cigarette out on his arm, that was a bit extreme...
"A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere." - Groucho Marx
Lush Legend
0 likes
Quote by steffanie

Exactly!! LOL!!!

"Love all, trust a few, and do wrong to none."
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Quote by steffanie

Yeah.. .that's never a good way to win over a lady. I agree with everything here. Good advice my fellow Lush-ladies!
Laissez les bons temps rouler!
Lurker
0 likes
Well actually "no" is not the worse thing a girl could say...

Ever tried to not be so into asking girls out? just try and be friends with us...
You will be way more comfortable with a girl you know than a random one...

And the best way to a approach a girl is by smiling and saying "hi, im ....."
Lurker
0 likes
there are shades of gray here.

Lack of confindence. Total turn off
Shy. Depends on the guy and what he looks like
Confident. Turn on
Arrogance. Huge turn off
Lurker
0 likes
Most people have a lack of confidence in some area of their lives. The main thing to remember is, if you aren't comfortable with yourself, who you are, what you think, how you act, it will be almost impossible to either make someone else comfortable around you nor allow them to be comfortable being who they are, too. Someone has to take the lead. Two people who are shy make really awkward situations.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I'm a girl and have the same exact problem. When I meet a guy out I like, I'll just turn to stone and freeze, not that it happens that often and I tend to get ignored most of the time.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Confidence is a very broad category and although it was many years ago, I found that women don't mind shy/reserved but can mistake it for aloof/arrogant. You want to project the truth about yourself without going overboard. The easiest way to do this is to be open to getting to know them but plan not to ask them out until they indicate an interest in getting to know you. By planning not to ask them out, you hold back enough to give you the confidence to converse. If a woman is interested in getting to know you, she will find a way to express it. Expressing their interests is something most women have little difficulty doing. Fair warning, once they start, it can be difficult to get them to stop.

The particular confidence that is attractive to a particular woman is something she will understand but might never reveal. Understand that women have an image of the ideal man and the more you try to be that image the more spectacular your failure will be. That's because, as soon as a guy gets close to the image by trying to, she feels compelled to change it. Don't ask me why, it's just an observation. So don't try to be her ideal man. Just try to be yourself and enjoy life without her. That will make you as interesting as you will ever be to her and if it's interesting enough, she will find a way to express interest in getting to know you better. It doesn't hurt to show curiosity about her. If she is interested in getting to know you, she will want to know that you are interested in getting to know her. Just don't ask her out until she has shown she would be open to it.

This doesn't work with all women. Nothing works will all women. But the women this doesn't work with are the women who will be communicatively incompatible with you. As a shy guy, you need signals to read and those who don't give signals or only give the wrong signals just aren't right for you.
My latest story is too hot to publish. My most recent story before that is Even Stranger In Lust
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
there is nothing more sexy than someone who is ACTUALLY interested in YOU

ask her questions about herself...

smile..smile smile

so may guys just blather on about themselves

if you actually listen & are into what she does

cofidence will no longer be a issue

they willl flock to you...

a coversation starts with..just a hi smile
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Is a lack of confidence really that big a turn off

yes. it is.

i didnt read thru the whole thread so maybe im repeating....but heres what i do when i am encountered with a situation that makes me feel uncomfortable. i totally fake it. i act as if i am fully confident and push thru the situation. i can give the appearance of radiant confidence when really i am nervous jelly inside. and then before i knew it i was feeling less and less like the nervous jelly and gaining real confidence going into new or nervous situations. good luck. and chances are if you BELIEVE you are confident you will be smile
littlemissbitch ~ professional face ripper offer, at your service..
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Well dude just about everything everyone's saying is true, confidence is a big help, but the # one thing is that she has to be attracted to you first, if she's not even attracted to you thing all the confidence is the world won't help you, not trying to discourage you or anything but giving you fair warning
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I tend to be slightly shy, but dont lack confidence in my self or my looks. It's much more that I dont want to come off as your average swaggering jerk, all mouth and no substance. I think eye contact and body language are good indicaters of if a lady is open to being approched and a sincere smile is the best greeting there is.

Some women will shoot you down, maybe because they are involved, dont butter their bread on that side, or think they are too good, but those that think that highly of themselves are not a good bet for quality interaction to begin with.

That being said, If you greet a lady with teeth chattering and knees knocking, I can see that as not being a turn on, although some may find it endearing. Everyone is different and thankfully so!

Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Quote by nastynate69
Well dude just about everything everyone's saying is true, confidence is a big help, but the # one thing is that she has to be attracted to you first, if she's not even attracted to you thing all the confidence is the world won't help you, not trying to discourage you or anything but giving you fair warning

This is the correct answer.

You need basic attraction to be there. Confidence can help make a guy seem more attractive to a woman, but you have to be in the zone of potential first.

Lack of confidence can also quickly make a guy seem far less attractive, so it works both ways.

And yes, it's a huge turn-off if he's lacking in the confidence department. Confidence doesn't mean arrogance or aggressiveness though. It just means that the guy is 'chill' and easy to be around and confident in who he is and what he wants.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Shy guys just need to learn to hold a conversation with a woman. Don't even try to make a move or ask her out, just get used to being yourself and talking. Once you get the talking thing down you will realize thats easy. Then you can progress to asking one of us for a drink or coffee. Yes you will get some "no's" but you will also get a "yes" now and then.