Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

Is there any need for the "bold" button on the story submission page?

last reply
18 replies
2.0k views
0 watchers
0 likes

Do we need the bold button?

14 votes remaining
Yes, it adds impact when used liberally (5 votes) 36%
No, read any books recently with bold everywhere? (16 votes) 114%
I'm a potato (3 votes) 21%
Matriarch
0 likes
I'm a little tired of editing stories that are submitted in all bold, to remove it - is there any need for the bold button at all?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I personally like it… It made all the difference in the formatting of my Ellie stories; may be a note on the submission page saying that all bold stories will be rejected. I don’t know I would miss the bold
Mr Nobody
0 likes
Quote by nicola
I'm a little tired of editing stories that are submitted in all bold, to remove it - is there any need for the bold button at all?

I might need it with my Jake the dog story
he is very bold
0 likes
I don't think there's any need for the bold button, especially where entire stories are concerned. To give more impact to a single word, using italics does the job just as well.
Matriarch
0 likes
Quote by DBarclay
Quote by nicola

I might need it with my Jake the dog story
he is very bold

Reason for rejection: No beastiality stories allowed, thank you.

Lurker
0 likes
I agree with the others. It's another way of adding emphasis to certain lines, but using it for the whole story makes my eyes go numb.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
it is a good thing to add emphasis on a word. but its annoying when used for the entire story!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I'm naturally bold and crazy.... please don't eliminate the crazies!
Matriarch
0 likes
Ok, which of you is the potato? You must have a chip on your shoulder.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by nicola
Ok, which of you is the potato? You must have a chip on your shoulder.

Love the saying, will have to use this one day! Thanks

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Lisa
I don't think there's any need for the bold button, especially where entire stories are concerned. To give more impact to a single word, using italics does the job just as well.

I agree, italics does just fine.
Lurker
0 likes
I can't stand to read text in: bold, italics, huge fonts, colored fonts, etc.

Come on people...if you need to make the text bold-pink-italics-60 points, that just screams, don't read me......
Lurker
0 likes
Potato?
Lurker
0 likes
She means a "chip", from a "potato", Ali.
Matriarch
0 likes
Quote by ali2teaseu
Potato?

The clue is in the question! (well, the answer choices)
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Formatting text in bold serves no real purpose in fiction. The success of a short story depends on the author's ability to write effective description. The success of a short story depends on a writer's ability to create believable action. The success of a short story depends on a writer's ability to write life like dialog. Putting lackluster description, weak action scenes, and stilted dialog in bold doesn't make it sparkle. Bold, underlining, Italics, etc have their place but it's in the nonfiction genres, not in fiction. As a professional freelance writer specializing in the technical genres, I use them all but I forget that those formatting options are even options when I write fiction. When writing fiction let your words and sentence structure do the story telling. When you're tempted to click on BOLD, ask yourself this question, "What did writers do before the word processor when all they had was a typewriter? Did they backspace type over the same word a dozen times to give their words emphasis or did they depend on their skill as a wordsmith to choose the right words and then use them in a way that gave them power?
Lurker
0 likes
Italics work for emphasis ...so you can remove the bold
Matriarch
0 likes
Quote by Jillicious
Death to bold!

I'm taking shortcuts / cheating...

Lurker
0 likes
You have your answer.