As an Author

last reply
11 replies
1.8k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
This might be a rather strange question. But as an Author how do you feel when a story that you didn't necessarily spend a lot of time on is better received than a story you spent hours on?

You might want to interpret the question in a different way if that doesn't fit you. Ive heard some Authors complain about different things, so lets hear it, what are your own feelings about how your story is received, we read to much about how the readers feel about our stories.

The Right Rev of Lush
0 likes
In twenty-five words or less,

FRUSTRATED. smile

Once over that, I try to figure out the "why" of that reality. "Craft of writing" issues aside, the chief culprits tend to be:

the story I labored ove rmay have become over-written and/or

the tossed-off story has stronger characters and a better plot.

Rumple Foreskin
RUMPLATIONS: AwesomeHonky Tonk and Cyber Bar
Home of the Lush "IN" crowd: indecent, intoxicated, and insolvent
a place to gossip, share news, talk sports, pimp a story, piss & moan, or just grab a drink. Check it out.

Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwords. -- ROBERT HEINLEIN
Lurker
0 likes
I don't worry about it. There are so many variables that affect the ratings/comments. I'm just glad my friends read them and leave it at that.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I pay no attention to that stuff. If one is received well and the other isn't, I just move on to the next one.

www.szadvntures.com

Latest story:

• TBD

• Bump in the Night-Microfiction

• Smoke Break-Interracial

0 likes
I had one story I wasn't too sure about. It ended up scoring really well and got some great comments. Another story I worked for hours and hours on turned out to be my least popular one. I never know what's going to happen when I post a story, but I find that's half the fun of it.
Forum Whore
0 likes
My last poem I just submitted took two mintues to bang out. Naomi's First Day took me hours on hours to do. It was well recieved, but not as well as I was hoping.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
If I am being honest about it, there is only two people who I really care about their opinions. Mine and one other person. If they say it is bloody brilliant, then I know I hit the nail on the head. If I think it is good enough to give to them to read, then I know I am impressed enough with it. And trust me, they have no problems giving it back to me saying, "Woman, it is pure shite!"

If anyone else says what I write is decent, good, captivating or any other words along these lines is just gravy.

The only negative comments I really receive are along the lines of, "Holy mother of pogo sticks riding women with fancy toys! That is a freaking book! You expect me to read THAT!"
Living life and enjoying life are two different things... just need to figure out how to do both at the same time to live it right!

Woman... GO FLY A KITE!!!!! Take a slideshow walk with me on a walk through the parks of Inner Mongolia, China. Then enjoy the tale of a very traditional day in the life of a white Woman in China.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by roccotool
I don't worry about it. There are so many variables that affect the ratings/comments. I'm just glad my friends read them and leave it at that.

Ditto.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Concur with ali and rocco. If you want high ratings post incest stories, the one I did nearly doubled the rating count of any other story I've ever written. It is not my favorite. Write what you like and worry less about the critics :-)
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by roccotool

Ditto.
Lurker
0 likes
I write my stories for myself and for others to read. I don't know how to separate the two. There would be no point in posting them if I didn't have some expectation people would read them. I would like people to read them.

Since I like my stories, they are part of me, I don't experience disappointment if they are not well received. There are too many variables. Like someone said some of the genres are much more popular than others. So if you want the number write for those genres.

I like my story Lilli, in a little over two months it has been viewed 368 times. Those are poetry numbers. But I like Lilli and I like her story. So if 369 people read it or 5 million, Lilli will mean the same to me. Of course if 5 million people read it I would have one more thing to be happy about.

I wrote a humor story in the Quickie Sex category today, I was cracking up as I wrote it. I have read it 10 times and find it just as funny. If no one reads it I will still think it is funny and like it. In less than a dozen hours though, it has been read over 1000 times.

I think how I react to things is dependent on may variables. In this case how I feel about myself and what I do matters more.
Internet Sensation
0 likes
drustrated and guilty...
If it was that good I could atleast have given it another readthrough...

On the other hand, I'm very used to people liking things I don't.