Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

Dear John--part 14 of 15

"“No one can resist generosity forever.” (Voltaire)"

14
4 Comments 4
3.5k Views 3.5k
6.9k words 6.9k words

CHAPTER 40

“So you talked to Sam,” said Owen.

“Yes, like you commanded me to,” said Abigail. Her look was almost something, maybe accusatory.

“And,” he said.

“He appreciated my honesty, like you said he would. Oh, and he made sure I understood that he did not hate me,” she said. She still had the look.

“Okay, anything else?” he said.

“And he no longer has any respect for me and he doesn’t like me anymore, his exact words,” she said. “Oh, and he said he and I are done forever and on all levels.”

“Oh my,” he said.

“He did say that he wanted to talk to you. What you tell him will determine if he has anything to do with any of the rest of you forevermore,” she said.

“Christ! I just don’t know what to do, say, think. Abigail, from now on please...” he said, his frustration clear.

“Okay, yes, I will be following orders from now on,” she said.

“No, that’s not what I mean. I mean that you have to start recognizing his fatherhood, not just his sperm donorship. He is their father. The girls of course are adults now, so the game changes to some extent, but Ronnie isn’t always going to be a kid either. His dad, and I mean Sam, needs to be there for him and, if I dare say it, for you and me too. Sam is a good man. He is a dumbo when it comes to dealing with reality, but a good dumbo. You need to get that. Hell, you were married to the man for a long time. I’m stunned, shocked, confused that you don’t seem to get it,” he said. She sighed.

“You’re right. Right on all counts. The only dumbo bigger than Sam is me. Hell, he and I are a pair for damn sure. But, Owen, I am so damn proud to be your wife. I guess that truth is why I am so protective of your fatherhood of the children. Am I over the top in this stuff, probably. I don’t know. I do want the man to be in their lives, and it looks like he’s going to be regardless of my protectiveness of you. But, well, I guess maybe now it’s too late for me. If I could do it over again, I would. But well, I can’t so it is what it is,” she said.

“We’ll see,” he said. “And I will say, I am very appreciative of the fact that you see me the way you do; it’s important to me.”

******

He sought me out not me him. That said, it was me had the first word.

“If you want to talk to me fine, but she is not to be mentioned, not today,” I said. He nodded. It was clear that he knew the score. He wasn’t happy about it, but he knew what had gone done that was certain.

“So?” he said.

“I thought you were okay with him being up there on the stage with me,” I said.

He nodded. “I was. I wanted him to be,” he said. I believed him. “Sam your fatherhood is recognized by me by everybody.”

“And so is yours by me. I guess this is where we turn the corner. I mean if what you say is the straight of it,” I said.

“It is. But Sam, I do need to talk about the untalkaboutable,” he said. His look was—sad. I narrowed my eyes and I snorted; but I shrugged my okay, my reluctant okay. There was a long pause, a couple of minutes. I just waited.

“Sam. The woman loves you, she loves me too and me more than you; but there is not the slightest shred of doubt that you have her heart too,” he said.

“Yeah right,” I said as sarcastically as I ever said anything.

“Sam you’re a strong man. You are a man with a faithful and loving heart. And I know for a blood-mortal fact that you still love her too. Are you angry? Of course you are, and I have to say so am I; I mean about her keeping Ronnie from coming onto the stage for the TV thing. She promised me that she was bringing Ronnie to the show.

“But, as the program progressed and I didn’t see her or him, I began to think that she had lied to me. Did you see me waving at you from the gallery?” he said.

“Yes, but I didn’t know what that was about,” I said.

“I was trying to signal you that she hadn’t shown up yet, that something must have happened. At the time I didn’t know anything, none of us that were there did. But, the fact was she was there, just not sitting with us and she was way in the back which I discovered after the fact. She’d decided to keep her word to me, but—and this unilaterally—to not allow Ronnie to be up on the stage. She thinks that you have undermined my relationship with the children, my claim to fatherhood. She did not and does not want you to be seen as their main father let alone their only father. The irony in that? She has no patience with the truth that the kids will make up their own minds about things of that kind regardless of what we do, any of us,” he said.

“As much as I hate to admit it, Owen, I do finally realize that you do deserve to be the father of the children, all of them, too. I still think of myself as the main dad, not just the biological one, but I also realize that fatherhood is not biology only. You’ve done an outstanding job raising them as you have. And as the woman has, on so many occasions been at pains to inform me, me not so much. But, Owen, I love those babies all of them. In my mind they are mine, no matter what anybody says,” I said.

“Yes they are and mine too,” he said.

“I agree,” I said.

“Too bad we couldn’t have come to this place a dozen years ago,” he said.

“Yeah, too bad,” I said.

“You might be interested to know that Harriet is angry with Abby too. She thinks she screwed up super bad by denying you and Ronnie your moment in the sun together. Harriet told me that herself,” he said. I snickered.

“Yeah, well maybe she’ll take a moment to reflect on things in the future,” I said.

“She will, and it won’t be long in the coming of it either,” he said.

******

2017

“Yes sir,” said Devon Williams. “They’re new, but they are approved and are even used for actual double amputees. Mister Bradshaw can use them.”

  1. this is very good news. You’ve done a good job. I need you to do a couple of things for us now. One: follow up on this and order the things. I’ll see to it you get you the numbers you need; I mean his stats and all. Two: you need to see Alex White in personnel; your job title will be changing,” said Owen Cord.

“Yes sir,” said Devon.

******

“You say that he’ll be able to walk! No more wheelchair?” said Abigail.

“Yes, I mean he will have to be wearing the prosthetics for the duration, but no, no more wheelchair,” said Owen.

“And his face?” she said, frowning.

“Devon did come up with a possible partial solution, but it is really kind of a, well, something,” he said.

“Well!” she said. “Don’t keep me waiting here.”

“It’s a kind of a mask for half of his face, the half that’s messed up. It’s special. It has a spray thing that comes with it that is a kind of anesthetic that keeps the mask from being bothersome to the wearer because he can’t feel that he even has it on. But it is a mask not a new face, and it is obviously a mask. Would he want to wear it? We’ll ask him, but I don’t know. I don’t know if I would if I were given a choice like that,” he said. She nodded.

“Well okay. I guess we’ll, you’ll just have to ask him,” she said. He nodded.

“Yes,” he said.

******

She was in Phoenix again. She wondered if her used to be man was still around and living in that fancy guest house of the Cords. It had been a long time since she’d seen him. She’d been to this particular VFW just once since returning from Prescott where she’d most recently been living. Well, a VFW was a VFW in Prescott or Tucson or Phoenix they all seemed kind of alike, and for a vet like herself they were good. She remembered the early days back in Tucson. She and the man did good there. The early days: before she’d gotten her sight back, before she’d dumped him, before she’d married the wrong guy. And now the wrong guy had dumped her, and she was alone and wondering if she could indeed have made a life with the good guy with the truly ugly face and who was likewise wheelchair bound.

The man at the bar looked familiar. He was just standing there talking to the bartender. It was his hair. He sure looked familiar. He stepped away from the bar with his drink and made his way to a table across the room. He was walking funny. He turned his face to her. He was wearing a kind of a half mask ala Phantom of the Opera.

It couldn’t be. No, there was no way. He hadn’t noticed her. She picked up her drink and made her way to the table next to the man: she had to be sure. A vet with his unit cap on came by the guy and had a word or two with him before heading toward the juke box. She heard him speak. Oh yeah it couldn’t be but it was.

She got up from her chair and went to the man. She plopped down across from him.

“Lana!” he said. Yep it was him.

“I’m as surprised as you are,” said Lana Meacham. “If you want me to leave, I will,” she said.

“No, it’s okay,” I said.

“Your lady with you?” she said. She’d met Rina of course by chance so long ago. She saw the look on my face.

“Oh, I’m sorry,” she said. “I didn’t mean to pry.”

“No, no, it’s just . . .” I started, and began to tear up.

“She did you like I did you, right?” she said. She’d apparently assumed that Rina had dumped me.

“No, no, no, my Rina died,” I said.

“Oh my God! Now I am really sorry,” she said.

“What are you doing here, Lana?” I said. She looked down.

“I’ve moved back her to Phoenix,” she said. “My husband and I divorced.”

“You mean the guy...” I started. “You mean the guy you dumped me for and you didn’t make it?”

“About the size of it,” she said. “But let me ask the obvious question. You can walk now?”

“With the help of the prosthesis, yes,” I said.

“Wow,” she said. “And the mask?”

“Less scary for people than just having it out there, my face,” I said. She nodded. “And even it is special. I can’t feel that it’s even on me. Some medicine that I spray on it.”

“Boy things have really changed haven’t they?” she said. “Well, except people haven’t, not much anyway. There are still too many assholes out there; you know, like me.”

“I didn’t blame you for leaving me, Lana. I was way too ugly for a woman as pretty as you,” I said. “Which begs the question as to why you’re not still married: I mean you’ve still got the goods as far as I can see with my one eye?”

“That’s very nice of you to say,” she said. “But no, this time it was an age thing I guess. I’m forty-eight my replacement’s twenty-five. Go figure.”

“That’s a serious bummer,” I said.

“Yeah it is,” she said. “So how are you getting along?”

“Well, underneath this mask I’m still the same guy, still ugly. I can walk around now though, not run around, but walk without any problem,” I said. “So things are improving.”

“Sam, would I be out of line to ask if you’d like to go to dinner with me tonight?” she said. “I’ve been kind a lonely lately, well and . . . I’ll understand if you’d rather spit in my face after what I did to you.”

“Lana, like I said, I don’t blame you for leaving me like you did. Hell, I would have left me too! But are you sure you’d wanna be seen with a guy like me? I mean if we went to dinner..." I said.

“No problem for me being seen with a guy like you, really,” she said. “I will say the mask is a good idea; I mean if we’re being honest here.”

“Well, for me honesty isn’t the best policy; it’s the ‘only’ policy!” I said. She smirked.

“Okay then,” she said. “I have a car?”

“Well la-dee-da for you. I have a twenty-five year-old truck!” I countered.

“Oh, okay, let’s take your antique truck then,” she said, and she laughed.

******

“You’ll never guess who’s sharing the guest house with him,” said Abigail.

“I saw the sedan,” said Owen. “Anybody we know?”

“Oh yes, and this is her second time around,” she said. He gave her a look.

“Lana?” he said.

“The one and only,” she said.

“Oh my!” he said. “I gotta hear this story. Shall we invite them to lunch?”

“I’m with you. He might throw something at me, but if I’m lucky his head will be somewhere else. I mean besides up his ass,” she said.

“Abigail!” he said.

“Okay, okay, you’re right. It’s my head that’s buried in the deep dark of the cavern where the sun don’t shine, not Sam’s.” Her husband nodded.

“Okay, at any rate, I will go down and ask them right now,” he said.

“Yes, do. And tell the man that I am still wearing my hair shirt,” she said.

“Hmm yes, I will,” he said.

CHAPTER 41

I knew who it was that was knocking. “They see the strange car. They know I have a guest,” I said.

“I expect that’s so,” said Lana.

I walked to the door and sure enough. “Owen, I’m surprised,” I said, tongue in cheek.

“Hmm, yes, I’m sure,” he said. “Lana, it’s good to see you. Right?” and it was a question.

“I hope so,” she said.

“Whaddya think of the man’s new gams?” he said.

“Nice, nice, very nice,” she said.

“The product of a teenager that Owen has had working for him,” I said.

“Well, not exactly a teenager, young but not that young. And, it’s not the kid’s product. But Devon did do the research that found out about it,” said Owen.

“Yes, and in the doing saved my ass from petrifying,” I said. We all laughed.

“Well, Abigail saw the car and knew you had a guest. We’d like to have the two of you up for lunch. Would that be good for you?” he said.

I looked over at Lana and she shrugged.

“Okay, sure,” I said. “Noon?”

“That would be good,” he said. Well, it was 10:30 a.m.

I need to clarify here that Abigail and I had not made up; likely never would in any true sense. But, we did share kind of an armed truce. We did talk if but in short terse sentences from time to time. We did see each other around. It was what it was.

It had been some months since the big man had made the unilateral decision, and without my knowledge, to get the legs for me. On the day that that he announced that he had in fact done so, I was trapped. We were supposed to be going to the store, him and me, and instead we ended up at a clinic. Imagine my surprise when we walked in—well actually I rolled in—and the medical team was already set to install the things on my personal body. Well money does talk. Oh, and the man had fixed it so that the necessary periodic adjustments of the prosthetic legs was automatic and paid for in perpetuity.

Oh, and the mask thing was introduced to me a day later. I hadn’t been sure about that one, the legs yes, but a mask? But, Owen had made the case that it was no different than a guy buying a hair piece to hide his otherwise not so hot looks. At any rate, I had acquiesced. I still got looks, mainly because of the mask, but at least now they were not looks of horror.

And again, me and Abigail, still not good, but we did speak and get by on a minimum level. Owen wasn’t pushing it. The hope was, from his point of view, that time would eventually heal the divide. I was not sanguine about the chances of that happening. I didn’t trust her, not in the least. But, well time would likely tell.

******

I don’t know how he did it. But the whole clan was present when we arrived at 12:15. Even Harriet and Jeffrey were in evidence. The two of them, Harriet and Jeffrey were, as mentioned, living in Phoenix now, and he was driving out of the company’s main warehouse. They were actually living in my dad’s old house; the one Harriet—but really Owen—had bought from me. And yes, I did finally find out that Owen had paid for it. Which didn’t surprise me, but for lack of a better term it surprised me. Oh, and one other thing. I almost had enough saved to pay him back for paying off the renters at the Gloria. He’d given them, I found out later two grand to inconvenience themselves; I’d saved $1,400 toward my goal; it wouldn’t be long.

“Dad,” screamed the twins. Ronald for his part came to me sporting a kind of conspiratorial smile. The new son-in-laws were very formal and polite in their greetings. We’d been around each other some over the time since the marriages, but not that much. I figured the formalism would die out at some point.

Tacos. Everybody loves tacos, fattening but the best for my money. Abigail made them herself. She refused help from everyone; it was her deal today, and that was that. She did make the case that she would accept help for the after meal clean up. The girls grimaced, but laughed their willingness to do the dirty work, and yes, Lana volunteered as well.

The lunch was noisy and kinda fun and questions abounded, but none were too intrusive. It was however clear that everyone who was in the know about my long ago breakup with Lana was dying to find out about the apparent resurrection of my romantic fortunes. I wasn’t sure about stuff myself. Lana and I had not gotten to that stage of things. But, the fact that we had shared a bed the previous night augured well for the future. We’d be seeing.

GabriellaSenon
Online Now!
Lush Cams
GabriellaSenon

Dinner over and the cleanup crew on the ball, Abigail asked me if I would mind having a word with her out on the patio. I narrowed my eyes. I wasn’t sure about talking to her about anything substantial, but I nodded my okay. Well, it was a warm evening outside.

“I have to say I’m a trifle confused as to why you want to talk to me?” I said. My confusion was more than reasonable the way I was seeing things. Was it to query me about Lana’s sudden re-arrival in my life? Was it to do with our de facto estrangement, Abigail’s and mine? Was it something else?

“I see you and Lana are apparently an item once again,” said Abigail.

“Maybe,” I said. “We bumped into each other at the VFW. Just last night in fact.” She nodded.

“I guess some things are more forgivable than others,” she said.

“Huh?”

“Well, she abandoned you, but you seem to be getting along pretty good,” she said. “And, I know she spent the night.”

I could see what she was getting at, but I was going to make her do it. I was not into helping the most untrustworthy woman in the world make her case.

“Yeah, so?” I said.

“Any chance that you have some of that forgiveness left in your poke?” she said. Well there it was. Did I have any left in my poke?

I leaned back against the railing that separated the patio from the green of the sward beyond it.

“We’ve been down this road before, Abigail,” I said.

“No, no we haven’t,” she said. “I’ve learned my lesson. Also, Owen and I have talked. The children are going to do and believe whatever it is that they are going to do and believe. I realize now that it was never really about who was their real father. You both are just in different spheres.

“Sam, I was a controlling asshole. I need your forgiveness to go forward in my life. I have been living on pins and needles ever since the night of the TV thing. I want you to know that I do support you in your fatherhood, oh my yes I do,” she said. “Please, sir, one last time.”

There was something in her tone that was leading me to believe that she was indeed a different person than had been the case before. I felt myself nodding.

“Okay, Abby, one last time,” I said.

She came to me and kissed me fervently. I guess I didn’t make her skin crawl as much anymore. I decided to say so.

“That was a nice kiss almost a romantic kiss,” I said. “I guess I don’t make your skin crawl as much anymore.” I smiled.

“Oh how I wish I had never said or even thought such a thing,” she said.

“Yeah, me too,” I said. She nodded, and the tears started to come again.

“Look, Abigail. The things you’ve said to me and about me were mighty hurtful. But, I understand that human beings think and do stuff sometimes that they maybe shouldn’t.

I think it was Oscar Wilde that said: “All men kill the things they love, the coward with a kiss the brave man with a sword,” or something like that. And yes, I do read. I read a lot in Afghanistan whether you believe it or not.

“I’m not sure what that means, but I do think that the implied premise is true, that people do sometimes kill the hearts of those they love. I know I did that to you when I divorced you. I know it. We had children together, and I killed your heart for purely selfish reasons. I hope someday you can forgive this woman for that and for so many other things. I mean really forgive me,” she said. I nodded.

“I do too,” I said.

******

Lana and I shacked up again in the guest house. And no one bothered us for the next couple of days. I supposed they were trying to give us space. I was grateful for that, Lana and I did do the copulatory tango both nights and were at some pains to do so in the most imaginative of ways. I think we succeeded in our goal.

But it was inevitable that sooner or later we would have visitors. On day three we had two, visitors that is: Mia and Mort Glass. They were pregnant. Of course with an announcement like that there was going to be a celebration and a large one. My first grandchild and Abigail’s of course.

Mia had just found out so it was going to be a while. Mortimer was thrilled and had somehow gotten hold of a box of totally illegal Cuban cigars. Nobody was complaining or interested in turning him in.

They’d evidently gone up to the big house with the announcement first. That we, I, was second in line didn’t bother me too much. But, I did notice.

There would be a major dinner that night. Everybody who was anybody was going to be there.

******

Lana and I were the first ones to arrive; well, we were the closest, a mere hundred yards of grassy sward away, no surprise there. And, I did walk my way up to the castle. I had gotten used to the prosthesis. They were really a godsend for sure. I loved the damn things. I could never have afforded them, but the cost was nothing to the big man. I guess in a way, Abigail cheating on me worked out for me. As for the mask, well it was useful if not exactly curative. It was more than doubtful that Lana would have been as excited about our nights together had I not had it to hide the worst of my ugliness.

The noise was at a seriously high level, but it was a joyous noise, so no one was complaining. I’d gone out on the patio to get my breath and to get some air after eating way too much brisket. Abigail was in conversation with Sarah and Mia across the yard and near the fence. The rest of the herd was inside no doubt pummeling Lana with leading questions.

I decided to join the twins and their mother. As I got nearer to them I could hear their conversation.

“Yes, he finally has a woman he can be proud to have on his arm,” said Abigail.

“Do you think she’ll stay with him? I mean before...” said Sarah.

“Yes,” said Mia. “I hope Dad finally has a woman to make him forget you momma,” she said, and laughed.

“Well, I do too. I mean, I love the guy still on some level. But he does need a woman who he can finally be proud of and who fulfills his needs. Lana fits that bill. She is very nice looking,” said Abigail.

None of the three of them seemed to remember that I was in love with Rina. None of them seemed to believe that it was possible for me to have been proud to have Rina on my arm. None of them seemed to understand how snooty and snobbish they were being talking like they were. I decided to join their conversation and point out a couple of facts.

“Yes, and Rina filled that bill too,” I said, and I smiled. “Oh, and I was very proud to have her on my arm, just like Lana.”

“Sam!” said Abigail.

“Yes, it’s me. Mister hard up ex-husband,” I said.

“Of course you were proud to have Rina on your arm. I hope you don’t think that I, we...” she said.

“That’s right, Dad. We loved Rina too,” said Mia.

“For sure Dad,” said Sarah.

“Well good. For a moment thee I was afraid that maybe, well...” I said.

“We should go back inside,” said Abigail. That she was trying to put a lid on a boiling pot of something was obvious, but no one objected to her maneuver. We all made our way back to the party.

CHAPTER 42

I was there. Lana was there. And so were Owen and Abigail and Mortimer. The door swung open and a white clad lady with a stethoscope looped around her neck came smiling up to the soon to be proud poppa.

“Doctor?” said Mort.

“It’s a boy. Mom and our new young man are doing fine. You’ll be able to go in shortly. The nurses are in charge for next little bit.

******

Everybody was talking at once to everybody else. Well, except Mortimer. He was talking to himself. He was kind of funny I thought. I went over to him.

“Well, Dad, this is a big day for you, and for the rest of us too when one gets right down to it,” I said. He was nodding. I think he was short of breath. I wasn’t sure, but he looked faint to me.

“Mort, are you okay?” I said.

“Yes, yes, just excited I guess. I need to get some air. Would it be all right if I got some air?” he said.

“Sure, sure,” I said. Owen had joined me just as the man asked about getting a breath of air. The two of us walked him out on the semi-veranda that the little waiting room afforded.

We sat him down on the only bench. He seemed to revive if that would have been the right word.

“Sorry,” he said. “It’s just that everything... I guess I’m just a pussy like my wife is always happy to assure me.”

Hmm, I wondered at that. So Mia was becoming an alpha. I was glad it was Mort and not me that had to deal with her.

A nurse came out to see if we wanted to see the baby—like that was a serious question. We did and we would but first it would be Mort who got to see his son for the first time.

We were back inside and Mort had disappeared into the inner sanctum of the place to see his wife and baby.

It was maybe fifteen minutes later; I didn’t have a watch, before he came out and motioned us to come in. We all crowded in around the bed. Momma was holding him. He sure was pretty.

“Everyone,” said Mia, “Meet Sam Glass.” I’d heard her, but hadn’t heard her. I couldn’t have heard her. Ronald had named his dog for me and now Mia had named her son for me. I was speechless. Everyone began congratulating me. Well everyone except Abigail who was standing back a bit. She was smiling, but not too grandly.

“I’m honored,” I finally said, finding my voice. And I was.

“Dad, Mort and I wanted to do this for you. It’s a beautiful name of a beautiful man and my Dad,” she said.

Owen congratulated me specifically and I think sincerely. I think that meant as much to me as Mia having named the baby after me.

“Thanks,” I said. “And thank you Mia and Mort. It is truly an honor for me.”

It was only a bit later that the nurses shooed us out to allow momma and baby to get some rest. Even Mort had to take a breather.

******

“He should have been named after you,” said Abigail. “You’re the one that’s been there for her from day one in every meaningful way.”

“Abigail, it is little enough that the man gets that bit of recognition from his daughter. Don’t even think of making anything negative out of it. She felt she needed to honor him, and frankly so do I. The man deserves to have something to brag about and now he does. Something tangible that he can point to that tells the world that his daughter really does love him. There’s been little enough of that coming his way to this point. Okay?” he said.

“I guess, honey. I guess you’re right. You usually are. I just wish that... Well, never mind,” she said.

“Hmm, I won’t and neither will you. I insist. Now, maybe we can get on with being a family without the rancor and drama of the past. Okay?”

“Okay,” she said.

******

It was a couple of days before I was able to hold my grandson and bask in my new found glory. It might turn out to be a chimera when all was said and done, but for this moment in time, I was on top of the world.

The mom and baby had come home in two days not the usual one. That was a benefit of having a powerful father like Owen. The good thing in that was that Owen did seem genuinely glad that I had gotten my name honored before he did. I kinda found myself trying to make him feel good, or at least less neglected, after the fact. He seemed to appreciate my efforts in those respects, Abigail not so much. That bothered me. It was like so long as I didn’t demand too much and knew my place, all would be fine. But if I got to being too uppity well she was ready to put me back in my place and that without a whole lot of ceremony or handwringing.

In order to avoid any conflict, I just stayed out of her way for the while. Lana on the other hand was at pains to make herself popular with just about everybody who ventured within her space. And, she was succeeding, in making herself popular that is. Everyone seemed to love her. It was getting to the point where I was going to be complaining about being neglected!

And then Sarah, my other daughter, threw a monkey wrench into the whole schemoigen; she got herself pregnant too! Talk about situations.

******

“Sarah’s having a girl,” said Abigail.

“Yes, I heard,” said Owen. “And...”

“No, nothing,” she said. “It’s just, well something. I mean it’s wonderful.”

“Hmm, yes nothing, something, wonderful. I don’t think she’s going to name her Sam,” he said.

“Maybe Samantha?” said Abigail, and she said it as though she were, not so much sarcastic as serious.

Owen turned to look at his wife. “Really?” he said. “You’re going to continue this nonsense?”

“No, no, I was only kidding. No I don’t really think Sarah will name her baby girl Samantha,” she said.

“Look, stop worrying about what everybody else is thinking or doing. Nothing substantial is going to change around here, unless somebody does something really outrageous to rock the boat,” he said.

What he didn’t say was that the only one who’d likely be doing any rocking was one Abigail Cord. He didn’t need to say it because she knew exactly who he was talking about.

******

“So, you been over there? I mean to their house?” said Jeffrey.

“Mia’s and Mort’s?” I said.

“Yes,” he said.

“Yes, twice these past few weeks,” I said. “Lana and I both have been.

“What about Sarah’s?” he said.

“Also, twice; The Davises live close to The Glass compound, so yeah; we’ve stopped in there twice also. Sarah is pregnant as hell. The baby’s gonna a big girl,” I said.

“Hmm, well Harriet and I have got some news,” he said. I gave him a look that spelled terror, shock, and a big OMG!

“You too!” I said.

“Yep,” he said. “I’m too old to wait around. Harriet and I have kind of been in a hurry if you know what I mean.” I nodded.

“Well congratulations! But what’s going on? Something in the water? I mean every damn body at once is getting pregers! This has to be something for Guinness,” I said.

“It is something for sure. Harriet and I were talking about it just this morning. For our part, we only found out about her—situation—yesterday,” he said.

“Wowzer,” I said. “Has Harriet clued her best friend about her situation?”

“I think she’s doing that right now. I came here and she went up the hill to do her thing there. I mean I am a military genius. It was my idea to tell both contending parties at the same time,” he said.

“Huh? Contending parties? What?” I said.

“Yes, you and Abigail,” he said. We know that Abigail was fried when she found out you’d been honored name-wise first.”

“I would have been fine with Owen being first in line. I know he’s first in line in reality anyway. But, it is an honor and one I would never have believed I’d be getting, but well, I’m glad I did,” I said.

“We know Sarah hasn’t said who she’s naming her girl after, but well, maybe Abigail?” he said.

“If you’re asking me, I don’t know,” I said. “But, I guess she might. I mean unless she is going to go for something generic and not get involved in the name game as Lana’s calling it.”

“Hmm, yes, well maybe,” said Jeffrey.

******

Lana was shopping and I was napping. Well, I was until I was rudely awakened by the insanely loud buzzer the guest house came installed with.

I hitched myself up and went to answer the door.

“Sarah!” I said. She was the last person I might have expected to be coming to visit on a late Sunday morning.

“Yes, Dad, can I come in?” she said.

“Yes, yes, of course,” I said. “I wasn’t wearing my mask, and she noticed and grimaced.

“Sorry,” I said. “I usually wear it pretty much 24-7 but decided to just let it rest for a few hours. Lana’s out shopping.”

“Hmm, yes. Dad I’ve got a big favor to ask of you,” she said. “Your advice actually.”

“Okay?” I said.

“Dad, I’m having a girl. I know you know that, right?” she said.

“Yes, I’ve heard,” I said.

“I need a name for her,” she said. “Got any ideas?” I stared at her with a blank look. I had in no way expected to be involved with naming any of the children. But there it was. Even if I declined to give my daughter what she was asking for I was involved. My refusal would be seen as active involvement if only in a negative sense. But, I did have an answer for her.

“It has to be your mother or your grandmother,” I said. “It could be one of your Daddy’s family of course, or your husband’s; but none of them are well known by any of us including you twins. So maybe Cecilia or Abigail.” My daughter suddenly took on a pensive look.

“Yes, I see what you mean,” she said. “You wouldn’t be against me naming her after mom then or grandma?”

“Of course not! A child, a person, has to carry a name for the rest of his or her life. To make their names a matter of contention that can actually affect or even divide a family for decades is not a good plan. I for one want the parents to be the ones who make those kinds of choices, kid’s names choices.

“So no, you choose the name you think fits the bill for you, missy parent, you and your big guy,” I said.

“Thank you Dad. I think I’ve made up my mind. I’ll be talking to Randell tonight,” she said. I smiled. It was nice that she had come to me. I don’t know if she’d talked to big man yet, but I was pretty sure he’d be saying the same things I did if she did talk to him.

******

The door had hardly closed behind my departing daughter than it opened for my woman to come in. Oh, and I was already in the back bedroom putting my mask on by the time she called out to me.

I came in ready for the rest of the day. She was putting away a bag full of groceries when I did.

“I just waved to a departing Sarah,” she said.

“Yes, she was just here. She wanted to ask me about baby names,” I said.

“Oh and did you make the mistake of advising her?” said Lana.

“Not exactly, I told her that the parents needed to be the ones doing the naming. I did suggest that maybe her mom or grandma would feel real good if she chose one or the other of them, but that was it,” I said.

“Hmm, you may have dodged a bullet there, I suppose,” said Lana, “and I do mean ‘may have’.”

“Hmm,” I said.

 

Published 
Written by mattmoreau
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your erotic stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments