Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

Rhythm and the Blue Line Ch 04

"A song and a proposal."

9
7 Comments 7
4.5k Views 4.5k
1.6k words 1.6k words
Rhythm and the Blue Line Ch 04

© 2011 All rights reserved

Brody stared at the screen. " This is what you watch when you're upset?"

"I warned you." Ryan reached into the bag of chips. "You're the one who wanted to make the bet."

"You are . . . different," Brody said. "I mean, most girls I know, they'd be sniffling through The Notebook or something. Eating a gallon of ice cream and watching Titanic. When you said dark, I figured some horror movie or something."

"I didn't break up with a boyfriend," Ryan told him, "and I don’t like sappy films like The Notebook. Titanic was an overlong piece of dreck. I was angry, and when I'm angry, I prefer darker things. I told you."

"No kidding." Brody watched as an unarmed Brandon Lee, in harlequin face paint, faced off with a man in a black leather coat who prided himself on his skills with knives. There was no contest, and soon Lee was wearing the leather coat.

"It's cool, you have to admit." Ryan looked up at him. "The cinematography is great, and the music is awesome."

"But The Crow?" He shook his head. "Do all musicians harbor dreams of violent revenge?"

Ryan couldn't help it; she giggled. "Only after phone calls from family."

Brody gave her a sidelong glance. "Want to talk about it?"

"No, thanks." Ryan's laughter fled and she kept her gaze fixed on the screen. After a moment, she softened and looked at him. "Thanks, but not now."

Brody nodded, slid down a little on the couch and put an arm around Ryan's shoulders. She debated for a moment, then shifted so her leg was propped up on the table, and rested her head on his shoulder.

As the credits began to roll, Brody looked down at her. "Okay, I stayed. Your turn."

Ryan pushed herself up to sitting. "I don’t know. You liked the movie, that might invalidate the terms."

"You trying to welsh on the bet?"

Ryan lifted her chin. "Absolutely not. Do you want me to play, or to hear one of the demos on the computer?

"Are you kidding? A choice of a live performance versus tape? I'll take live any day."

"Okay. You asked for it."

"Do you have a preference? Keyboards or guitar?"

"You can play both?" Brody gave a low whistle. "I'm impressed."

"I started on the piano, then moved to guitar. I play both for the band. We have songs with two guitars and keyboards, though, and I didn’t want to give those up by giving up the keyboards." She tapped a few more keys on the computer. "That's why I didn't just take over as lead guitarist in the band, and why we seem to keep looking for new guitarists."

"Gotcha. Can I go with the keyboard?" Brody helped her up and she made her way over to the synth case.

"Sure. Could you give me a hand?" Ryan gestured at the case. "Sorry, it's a pain to get that out by myself right now."

"No problem." Brody nodded and helped her get her synth set up, then handed her the laptop bag at her request.

Ryan smiled but kept her eyes down as she scrolled through her files. She didn’t know why she was so unsettled. She ran things by the band all the time, and sometimes by some other friends uninvolved in music so that she could get a more objective opinion. Choosing something now seemed like an impossible task, even though she knew this was half a joke. At last she found something and settled herself on the seat.

"Okay, but I have to tell you—Lara writes the lyrics and sings, I write the music. So I don't have any words for this one. But I'll play the vocal melody with my right hand." She played a quick scale to warm up.

Brody nodded. "Yes, ma'am."

Ryan sat, took a deep breath, stared at the keys and pretended no one else was there. She wasn’t sure she'd manage otherwise, which annoyed her but she ignored that, too. She'd played in front of people countless times. Then she realized she wanted him to like it. That bothered her enough that she forgot to be nervous and began playing. At the moment, it was a mid-tempo song, but that might change with Lara's input.

When she was done, she forced herself to look up. "So, what did you think?"

He was staring at her and she couldn't interpret his expression.

"Ah, okay." Ryan turned on the bench and started to haul herself upright. "I wasn't sure about it, anyway. You don't have to keep staring at me like that." It was unnerving and she wanted him to stop.

RayLenee
Online Now!
Lush Cams
RayLenee

She tried giving him a grin. "See, you shouldn't have made that bet."

"You wrote that."

She nodded, unsure if he was asking or not. His eyes were fixed on her and it was an effort to keep moving. As she tried to take a hopping step towards the couch, she stumbled and Brody caught her.

"Sorry," she said, then cleared her throat. Why am I so nervous? "I seem to do that a lot."

"Ryan, that was . . . that was amazing." Brody grinned and she relaxed. "I mean, I listen to music. I know people write notes and lyrics, but I've never, you know, seen it in action."

"It's still a work in progress." She felt better that Brody liked the song, but she didn’t know quite what to say.

"Well then, I can't wait to hear the finished product."

"Okay. Um, cool. Do you mind if I sit down now?"

"What? Oh, sorry." Brody helped her over to an empty chair.

"Thanks, I've got it." Ryan looked up when he kept his hands around her waist. "What?"

"I want to kiss you, and it'd be easier if you were standing."

Alarms went off in Ryan's head, and she put her hands on his arms, applying enough pressure that he stepped back, although he didn't let go.

She cleared her throat. "That's flattering, Brody, but I don't think that's a good idea."

"No?" He thought. "Hmmm. You're a hard sell. Let's move to the bedroom where I can make a better pitch."

Ryan couldn't help but laugh. "Whoa, there, tiger. I didn't have that much sake."

Brody grinned. "We could get more."

She smiled but shook her head, regretting the words as they came out but knowing she had to say them. "I'm serious, Brody. I appreciate everything you did—going out, keeping me from getting too angry, listening to my music. It was really sweet. But . . . okay, I might be assuming here, but I'm not looking for anything else."

She hoped she hadn't assumed too much. For all she knew, he'd wanted a friendly peck on the cheek. However, she didn't think she was that inept at reading a guy's signals and so had guessed he'd wanted a bit more. She couldn't tell if he looked disappointed or not as he studied her.

"Hmmm." His non-reply didn't calm her nerves.

"And what does that mean?" She tried to keep her tone light.

"Nothing. Just means I'll have to find a new plan." Brody shrugged and helped her sit, then sat himself on the couch opposite. "You're not the usual girl I meet."

Ryan raised an eyebrow. "Is that a compliment?" It was a relief to sit, as her ankle was throbbing.

"An observation, but not an insult, I promise." Brody paused, then flashed a grin once more. "You sure you don't want to try a kiss? I'm told I'm pretty good."

Ryan snorted. "Brody, trust me when I say that telling a woman you've had a lot of experience with other women is not necessarily a good selling point."

"Ouch!" Brody put a hand over his chest.

Once again, Ryan couldn't stifle a laugh. "I'm sure you'll recover. But you'll recover alone." She emphasized the last word as he was about to speak, sure that another half-serious proposition was on the way. "Thanks again, Brody."

"You're welcome." He reached over and squeezed her arm. "I had a good time, really. And thanks for the song. That was so cool."

Ryan warmed at the remark. "Thanks, I'm glad you liked it."

"Okay, I'm out of here." He stood and helped her as she got out of the chair and grabbed her crutches. "We have a game tomorrow in New York. You going to watch?"

"I'll try." Ryan walked with him to the door. "We're rehearsing tomorrow. But I'll check in, at least."

"Good enough. Take it easy, Ryan."

"You too, and good luck tomorrow."

She locked the door behind him and yawned as she made her way around, turning out lights. One advantage to Lara spending so much time with Trout was that Ryan wasn't tied to anyone else's schedule and so could sleep, or not, as she liked. Tonight she was beat, and bed beckoned.

Her mind replayed the night's events as she got ready for bed. Lara, she knew, would flip when she found out that Ryan had rejected Brody's advances. Well, that could be fun, Ryan thought. She could string Lara along a bit before telling her how it turned out. It was fun to wind her friend up like that, and it wasn't like Lara didn't do the same.

He's nice, thought Ryan, but there's just too much stuff in the way.

Published 
Written by PennLady
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your erotic stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments