Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

Rhythm and the Blue Line Ch 13

"Ryan finally tells someone about Brody."

8
6 Comments 6
4.4k Views 4.4k
1.7k words 1.7k words
A week later, Ryan was on the UMD campus. She walked over to the statue of the diamondback terrapin, symbol of the school's teams, and rubbed its head. The week had been hectic, including a tense dinner with her parents, and it felt like it was the first time in days she'd even been able to take a deep breath.

"So, let's see." She patted the terrapin's head again. "In the last week, I've filed a record number of reports at work, argued both on the phone and in person with my parents, argued with our guitarist, and picked up a boyfriend. A hockey-playing boyfriend." She shook her head. "It doesn't feel quite real." When she got no response, she shrugged and leaned against the statue's base and waited for Evan.

It had only been a week, but so far Brody hadn't done any of the things she might have expected from a person obsessed with sports. He'd called when he said he would, and left messages that made her laugh if she couldn't get to the phone. He asked about the band's progress, and although he said he wanted her to come to a game, hadn't pressed her on it.

Ryan realized she had to give up her preconceived notions. Lara had been right, at least so far. Brody treated hockey like his job, which it was. Like anyone else with a job, he talked about it at times, and let it go at others. She needed to give him the benefit of the doubt.

"It must be a set up. It shouldn't be this easy." Ryan stared at the terrapin, but he remained impassive.

"Hey, Ryan!" Evan jogged up and gave her a hug.

"Hi." Ryan reached up and mussed his hair. "You need a haircut."

"Yeah, I know." He grinned. "Sorry I'm late, got caught up in homework."

"They make the basketball players do homework?" Ryan teased.

Evan put a hand on his chest and took a stumbling step back. "Oh, I'm hurt! How could my own sister say such a thing?" Then he grinned. "Come on, is that the best you've got?"

She laughed. "Sorry, long week. I'll think on it and come up with something better." Then she saw the book in his hand. "So, what? You carry that to impress the girls?"

"Oh." Evan looked down, as though he'd forgotten he was carrying anything. "Oh, well. Here. Don't say anything to Dad, okay?"

Ryan gave him a puzzled smile and took the textbook he held out. "'Introduction to Architectural Principals?' Wow, Ev." She paged through and gave a low whistle. "It's all Greek to me. Wow." She handed it back. "I didn't know you were interested in architecture."

"Well, I'm not sure how interested I am yet, but it sounded neat when I was checking out courses. And you remember my friend, Reza? His dad's an architect and I've talked to him a bit about it." Evan shrugged, embarrassed. "I don't know, it may not work out."

"Why don't you want me to tell Dad?"

Evan snorted. "Are you kidding? You think he wants me to take anything resembling difficult? He wants me to take safe courses to keep my GPA up so I don't get on academic probation or anything. Of course he thinks I'll declare for the draft. He even told me, why bother declaring a major when I know I'm not going to finish it."

Ryan was silent, leaning against the statue and studying her brother. "So I'm guessing you don't agree with that plan?"

"I don't know." Evan rubbed the back of his neck. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't be dumping all this on you before the gig."

"It's all right. I have some time, and the sound check's done. Come on." She stepped away from the statue and started walking. Evan caught up in two long strides.

"I don't know what I want," he said after a few minutes. "I mean, I love playing basketball, don't get me wrong. But I just don't know if I want it the way JT wants football, you know? Or the way you want your music."

"You still have time to decide, kiddo." Ryan put her hands in her pockets. "I mean, you've just started your first semester."

"Oh, come on, Ry." Evan barked a laugh. "You and I both know that if I do anything other than declare for the draft when I'm eligible, Dad will have a fit. He doesn't care about anything else. Last time I saw them, I tried talking about classes and if there's something beyond ignoring a person, that's what Dad did."

Ryan nodded, knowing that feeling all too well.

Evan went on, "It was all about sports, all about basketball. And if not that, then about JT and football. Dad acts like this is all just filler until I play games. He knows I need to take the classes, obviously, but he acts like it's a waste of time."

"Dad can be tough to talk to. Not that I try anymore. You know, I'm still sorry I left your birthday like that. I was just so mad."

"No worries." Evan shrugged.

IrisJune
Online Now!
Lush Cams
IrisJune

"Besides, I have to tell you—I was jealous."

"What?" Ryan stared at him.

He patted her shoulder and laughed. "I wish I could be like you, Ryan. I wish I knew for sure what I wanted, and that I could just ignore Dad and do it anyway."

"I thought you wanted to play basketball."

"It's fun. I just . . . I don't know. I'm glad it got me a scholarship, I just don't see myself playing in the pros. I know it's what Dad wants, but I don't know." He shrugged. "I don't want to disappoint him."

"That's okay. I disappoint him enough for all of us." Ryan nudged him but he frowned at her dark humor.

"Ryan, don't say that. I mean, I know it must feel like that, but it's not right. It's on Dad, not you, if he's going to be like that."

She smiled. "Thanks, little brother."

"Oh, don't go mushy on me." Evan pretended to scowl and push her away when she hugged his arm. "I guess JT will have to make up for the both of us, huh?"

"I think he can handle it."

They walked for a little while longer, heading toward Evan's dorm. Once there, Ryan waited outside while he dropped his book in his room.

"Okay, let's go." He let the door close behind him. "I guess it'd be dumb to ask if JT is coming?"

Ryan shook her head. "I doubt it. I haven't talked to him in a while, so I don't even know if he knows."

"Let's change the subject. What's new with you, anyway?" Evan asked as they headed back to the gym, where the band would play as part of the homecoming festivities.

"Well . . . okay, I'll tell you but if you laugh I'm going to smack you."

Evan raised an eyebrow. "What, did you try to rob a bank or something?"

"Oh, funny. No. I'm going out with someone."

"Really? Well, hey, that's cool. I mean, not that I need to think about my sister dating anyone, but okay. Who is it? Anybody I know?" Evan grinned. "Is it some musician with dreadlocks and tattoos that will give Dad a heart attack?"

Ryan laughed. "No, no musicians. He might have a tattoo, I guess; I haven't asked. Anyway, believe it or not, a hockey player. Brody Lang. From the Capitals."

Evan stopped and stared at her. "Seriously?"

"Yes." She smacked his arm. "Why would I make something like that up?"

"I just know how you are about the whole athlete thing. I mean, geez, if I wasn't your brother, you'd probably never talk to me." He laughed as he dodged another swing.

"Smart ass." But she smiled and explained how they'd met.

"Have you told Mom and Dad?"

"No. No way, not yet." Ryan shook her head. "It's only been a week, just barely, and I'm not sure how it will go. Besides, I can't subject Brody to Dad. Not this soon. Can you imagine?"

Evan nodded. "Oh, yeah. Smart move."

They talked a little more, and then Ryan turned when she heard someone call Evan's name. A girl with long black hair and Indian features came up to him, her smile wide and her dark eyes bright. Ryan looked at her brother and bit back a smile at the pleased expression on his face.

"Hey, Amira." He leaned down to kiss her on the cheek.

Ryan hid her grin under her hand; Evan had forgotten she was even there. She watched as he hugged the girl, then took her back pack, which looked like it would burst.

"So, Evan, who's this?" Amira nodded at Ryan, who had to laugh when Evan went bright red in the face.

"I'm Ryan Bancroft, Evan's sister." She held out a hand. "Nice to meet you."

"Hi, I'm Amira Patel."

"Amira's in my economics class." Evan cleared his throat. "And we've been going out for a few weeks now."

"Really? That's great." Ryan beamed. "If you want to know any embarrassing secrets, Amira, I'll give you my email."

Amira laughed. "Thanks."

"You want me to come to your show or not?" Evan gave Ryan a half-hearted glare, then turned to Amira. "Remember, I told you about Ryan's band?"

"Sure." Amira nodded. "I'm looking forward to seeing you perform."

"Terrific." Ryan checked her watch. "Well, I guess I'd better go if I want this to come off on time. Call me afterwards if you want, Evan."

"Okay." He grinned. "If your new boyfriend won't be jealous."

Ryan looked at Amira. "He thinks he's so funny." As the other woman chuckled, Ryan turned to her brother. "He's in Buffalo tonight, doofus. Now, are you coming or what?"

Evan chuckled and gave her a one-armed hug. "Yeah, we're coming. Break a leg and all that. And, Ryan?"

"Yeah?"

Evan stepped back and put an arm around Amira. "Don't tell Dad, okay? About the courses and . . . stuff?"

Ryan nodded. "You got it. See you later."

Published 
Written by PennLady
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your erotic stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments