Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

Rhythm and the Blue Line Ch 23

"Brody watches his musician"

4
2 Comments 2
3.8k Views 3.8k
1.7k words 1.7k words
"They're good, Langer," Bax shouted over the crowd. "Really good."

Brody nodded and watched his musician up on stage. She looked fantastic and the band sounded great. He wondered once more if she knew how happy she looked when she was performing. The first song ended and Lara thanked the crowd before they moved on to the next one.

Ryan moved over to the keyboards, keeping her guitar on but sliding it around to her back, and Nate switched his bass for a guitar. A moment later Ryan started playing, a fast little riff that Nate picked up, and then Lara began singing. The crowd cheered in approval and Brody saw more than a few people sing along.

When the song was finished, Mark leaned over to him. "Hey, man. That whole guitarist thing Ryan was worried about?" Brody nodded and Mark continued, "Tell her not to worry about it."

"I know. They sound terrific, don’t they?" Brody half-shouted back.

"Better than the GW show," Hilary chimed in.

"What do you think, Evan?" Brody asked.

"Absolutely," Evan called back, and grinned. "Ryan always worries about stuff and then she figures out how to fix it, and it's usually better."

Brody had to agree. Ryan had explained, for example, that on a song like they'd just finished, where she took the keyboards and Nate played guitar, she would supply the missing bass line with the keyboards. She'd made it sound like no big deal, but to him it was impressive. It would be great, he thought, to tell her how all her changes had paid off.

They slowed things down a bit and dedicated "On the Far Road" to Mitch's sister and her unit and Ryan stayed at her keyboard. Then they sped up again with the next number and she went back to her guitar.

As far as he could tell, everything seemed to be going smoothly up on stage. He watched as Nate put a hand on her shoulder and leaned in to say something. Ryan nodded and patted Nate's arm, then went over to her laptop and tapped some keys. With a satisfied look, she brought her guitar back around front and nodded when Nate looked over at her. Brody wondered that was all about.

Whatever it was, it worked, and they went into the next song with no problems he could detect. He recognized the current number as "Skyline," and then they segued into the next song without a break, and the crowd cheered and whistled, Brody included.

Between verses, Lara said something to Ryan and the latter smiled and laughed, and Brody was struck once again at how perfectly at home she looked up on the stage. His sister, Carla, had once told him that he looked something like that himself when he was on the ice.

"You skate better than you walk," Carla had said. "You know what you're doing out there, and when you know what you're doing, you're happy."

And that was it, he thought, as he had when he'd first seen them at GWU. Ryan was happy up there, doing what she knew how to do.

There was a short break as Ryan the others downed some water and prepped for the next song. When it started, it took Brody a minute to recognize a guitar-heavy version of Modern English's "Melt with You," and then he laughed and clapped along with everyone else.

Three songs later, the set ended, they took a bow, and then walked off the stage.

Evan let out a whistle that had Brody covering his ears, and the crowd continued with the applause.

A couple of minutes later, the band took the stage again. They covered of Bad Company's "Rock & Roll Fantasy," and followed it with another original song. Evan leaned over to tell him it was one of the first songs Lara and Ryan ever written. When that was finished, they once again waved and left the stage, and once again the crowd cheered until they came back.

There was one more song, then it was over and the lights came up.

Brody talked with his teammates as the band packed their instruments away, glancing at Ryan from time to time, anxious to talk to her. He held back as he saw her working and talking to Annette, Manny, and others from the first two bands. There'd be plenty of time to talk later, he thought. She looked so enthusiastic, and in her element, and he said as much to Evan.

Evan nodded. "Oh, yeah. I mean, even I can see it's what she should do." He laughed. "I've met her after work a few times, and it's always a little odd to see her in an office. She looks so much more comfortable up there."

"You probably look like that on the court," Brody said with a grin.

Evan shrugged. "Maybe. Sometimes."

"Hey, Brody, we have to go."

Brody turned to find Mark and Hilary, and Drew and Mina right behind them.

"It was fantastic," said Hilary, and Mina echoed her. "Tell her we said hi and sorry we couldn’t stay, but I'm going to be falling asleep at work as it is."

Brody laughed. "No problem. I'm glad you guys could make it." Then began a series of good byes to his teammates, leaving him with Evan, Amira, and Annette from Trouser Minnows.

Annette's eyes were bright.

PervertShow
Online Now!
Lush Cams
PervertShow

"That was amazing, wasn't it? That's the best I've ever seen them. If they don’t get on that tour, that A&R guy is in the wrong business."

"Your mouth to God's ear," Lara said with a grin as she walked over.

Annette laughed and leaned in for a hug. "Where's your fearless leader?"

"On her way." Lara jerked a thumb back to the stage. "Manny's over there."

"Uh oh." Annette tsked. "Is he in the cuddly drunk stage?"

Lara nodded. "Oh, yeah. He tried to hug Mitch, even."

Annette burst out laughing. "Sorry to miss that."

"Lara, you were great," Brody told her when Annette turned to talk to someone else. "You all were."

"Thanks, Brody. And thanks for bringing us a cheering section."

"You didn't need me, but happy to help." He shook hands with Nate and Mitch as they came over, and chuckled as Ryan made a beeline for them, leaving Manny looking befuddled.

"Ryan! You were great!" Evan pulled her into a quick hug.

Amira did likewise. "You were wonderful!"

"Everyone knew it," Evan said, and then grinned. "Allison and Jason left after the second song, I saw them. Even they knew you had it in the bag."

Ryan laughed. "Thanks, guys. I'm so glad you came. It means a lot." She turned to Brody. "You, too." She stepped over and hugged him, and held on tight.

He squeezed her against him and kissed her cheek. "You were incredible."

She held on for another moment then let go, although she stayed next to him. "Thanks."

"So, now what?" Brody asked.

"Beer." Ryan took a deep breath. "I need a beer."

"I got it, Ryan," Nate said. "Bar was my first stop." He handed her a bottle, then held two more out for Lara and Mitch.

"Where's mine?" Evan asked, earning him a withering stare from Amira and an elbow to the ribs from his sister, which only made him laugh.

"I've never seen you drink a beer." Brody looked down at Ryan. "I don’t think I've seen you drink anything besides sake."

She shrugged. "I don't too often, but I deserve one now."

"Good show, guys," Mitch said, and they all clinked bottles. He took a long swallow, then rubbed the cold bottle on his forehead. "Damn, it was hot up there."

They talked a while more, with people drifting in and out of the group, until Ryan covered a yawn and looked up at Brody. "So, can I get a ride home? Or are you going to go on a bar crawl or something?"

He laughed. "I think I'm past my bar crawl days."

With that, they began taking their gear and instruments out to their respective cars, and it was after two a.m. when Brody drove out of the parking lot. Ryan leaned her head back and closed her eyes as he navigated the quiet city streets.

"You guys were terrific," he told her, and reached over to take her hand.

"Thanks." Her eyes stayed closed but she squeezed his hand. "I really am glad you were there. I don't usually have anyone there for me, you know? Well, Evan sometimes, but it’s not quite the same."

"I have to say, I don't think I've ever been at anything like that before. I mean, watched someone perform when I knew them. It puts a different spin on it."

Ryan gave a quiet chuckle. "Now you know a little how Hilary and all the other girls must feel, watching you guys play hockey."

"What do you mean?"

She turned and opened her eyes. "Well, you know, they worry. They watch you guys down there and worry when you get hit, and feel bad if you don't score, but there's nothing they can do but watch."

"Well, at least I don't have to worry about you getting hurt," he teased.

Ryan laughed and closed her eyes again. "No, I managed not to trip over any patch cords tonight."

"You say that like you've done it before." He guided the car on to 395, which was all but empty at the late hour. It was an odd feeling to be so alone on a road so often choked with traffic.

"Once. Managed not to hurt anything but my pride, although I had a pretty good bruise on my leg for a few days."

"Think you can get inside without tripping over anything?"

"Maybe. I'm pretty tired. Maybe I should sleep in the car."

Brody shook his head with a laugh. "No, I think we'll get you upstairs. Your place or mine?"

Ryan opened her eyes and gave him a baleful look. "If you think I'm going to do anything but sleep once I'm in a bed, you need to think again."

"I'm pleased you think I have such vast energy reserves, but I was referring to sleep myself." Brody took the exit and stopped at the light at the bottom of the ramp. "So," he said again, "your place or mine?"

"Yours," Ryan said. "You have better breakfast options."

Published 
Written by PennLady
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your erotic stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments