Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

Best Friends Forever--Part Twelve of Thirteen

"Friendship, like the Phoenix, can rise from the ashes . . ."

11
4 Comments 4
4.4k Views 4.4k
8.7k words 8.7k words

CHAPTER 23:

I was literally shaking. I was terrified. The man strode in major concern in his look. “Jim, the nurse told me. Have you heard anything else?” said my ex-best friend.

“No, no, not yet... Rodney...” I started, but paused. I really just didn’t know what to say. I knew what I wanted to say but not how to express it. I just started bawling like a baby.

“Rod, she can’t die she just can’t. I mean she just can’t, Rodney. Rodney, don’t let her die,” I said not stuttering but barely coherent I was sure.

“She’s not going to die. She’s not, Jim, we won’t allow it. We won’t,” he said. I nodded and bawled uncontrollably.

“Jim, I’m going to talk to the doctor or somebody for a little bit okay. I’ll be back. And, Jim, you are not alone. You’re not, not ever, my man,” he said. And then he left to do whatever he was going to do.

And then I was alone and scared and well, alone. I wasn’t even sure what was going on. I knew my wife was in bad trouble. I knew my ex-best friend was going to be there for her, and for me if it came to that. I was going to have to rethink my relationship with him, and, with Claire. He came and he was going to try to help her. Doctors, hospitals, it all cost money, sometimes lots of money; this was one of those times. I knew it for sure, oh yeah, a lot of money. My ex-best friend had a lot of money, more than God I was sure.

I looked up at the clock it was almost 5:00. I’d been waiting for some kind of word any kind for almost four hours. Where was the fucking doctor!

******

“Doctor Weintraub?” said Rodney Pollard.

“Yes, and you are?” he said.

“My name is Rodney Pollard,” he said.

“Rodney Pollard? Any relation to the guy whose name is on a plaque in the dialysis ward,” he said.

“Yes, that’s me. And I’m the money man as far as Ann Clausen is concerned. So what’s the deal, doctor?” he said.

“Are you related to the woman?” he said.

“No, but my best friend is her husband and he is depending on me to take care of things and I intend to do just that,” he said.

“I’m sure you know that I cannot discuss a case without the permission of either the patient or, in this case, the patient’s spouse,” said the doctor.

“Doctor, the man can hardly talk. He’s a basket case. This is his wife, his entire life depends on her making it. Can you at least give me some hope here,” said Rodney.

“She’s going to live, Mister Pollard. I can tell you that much, but...”

“Her burns, can they be fixed, and I mean totally fixed! You know any plastic surgery? What?” said Rodney. ”

“Hmm, yes, mostly, I suppose. But, the cost to do the job...” he said.

“Cost will not be an object,” said Rodney. “I, we, want only the absolutely best care, doctors, medicines that can be gotten. No limits sir, no limits whatsoever.”

“No limits? I can guess that you have a lot of money, Mister Pollard. I mean the plaque. But you could be looking at anywhere from half a million up, in fact mostly up, for the kind of care and rehab that you seem to be asking for,” he said.

“Not a problem. Can you arrange things? Who do I talk to to arrange things?” said Rodney.

“I’ll take you there now,” he said. Rodney nodded.

******

I saw him returning before he saw me. He was looking down, but also determined.

“Rodney?” I said.

“I tried to get detailed information, but that has to be you; the doctor did tell me that she will definitely live. Also, I was able to set up the coverage angle. She will lack for nothing. James, we will get through this. And you have to let me handle it. They won’t give me the runaround. They daren’t,” he said, “but they likely would you.”

I nodded. What he didn’t say outright was that they would give me the runaround because I was poor. But, this was one time that I was not about to let my pride get in the way of what needed to be done. I knew what he was saying. He was going to pay because he knew for damn sure that I could never afford what likely needed to be afforded. We had health and disability insurance but it had limits. And the limits were going to be way less than needed to fix my woman up right.

I considered calling my lawyer, but suing the company for her medical bills would likely be slow and problematical on several levels. This is one time when speed was of the essence. Rodney Pollard was going to have free rein; I would see that my lawyer took care of that part of things. My ex-best friend would be having carte blanche in making all of the decisions.

Just as he got done telling me what he told me, a nurse came into the waiting room.

“Mister Clausen, You can go in now, but you can’t stay too long and she can’t talk too good yet, the meds,” she said. I nodded my understanding, waved to Rodney, and wheeled myself into the darkened room. She was awake.

“Hi, honey,” I said. I knew I sounded weak and fear laden. I think she tried to smile, but that might have been my imagination.

“Hi,” she rasped.

“Don’t talk, honey. I just needed to be with you. Honey we’re gonna get you back to being okay. Rodney is running point with the establishment here. There will be no brooking delays or settling for less than whatever you need. I swear it honey,” I said. I was talking too much.

Her eyes kinda of glazed over and she tendered me a small nod. She was acknowledging my words. Believing them might have been wishful thinking on my part. But it’s all I could think of to say.

******

I did talk to my lawyer, Mister Donnelly, the next day before going back to the hospital to see my girl. I got the word that he would be looking into the matter. I knew whatever he found out I would be informed of it right soon.

It was almost 2:00 P.M. I had to get back to the hospital. I had two weeks leave that the boss, Mr. Penniman had allowed me. Sammy, who’d covered me for the one day, had to get back out on the road. Henry picked up the slack for me on the job for my two week hiatus.

She was sleeping. I know it was her meds that were keeping her out of it. I wasn’t complaining. This was no time for me to be selfish about her sleeping in all day, hell no it wasn’t. Claire joined me in the evening of the second day. She let me know that the family Pollard would be keeping me company mostly in shifts. I appreciated that. I needed company if only to wipe away my tears of fear and frustration. And, I’d need it, the support, for the next two weeks, until my baby was able to come home. Well, I was hoping she could come home. The doctor had been doubtful, but I was holding out hope.

******

“You okay?” said Claire. “You look kinda ragged.”

“Just tired and worried. I mean...” I said.

“It’s trite, Jim, but please don’t worry. She’s going to be getting the best care there is and she’ll be home before you know it,” said Claire. “I’m invested in Ann’s recovery as much as Rod is as much as we all are believe me.” And I did believe her.

Claire and I talked for the whole six hours of visiting time, part of it in the cafeteria, while my darling mostly slept. Ann had been awake for maybe two hours of our visit, and Claire had been demonstrably tender toward my woman, and toward me; I had to appreciate that. Had she been such since the breakup, maybe things would have gone a different way, but water under the bridge now. I only cared about one thing, getting my baby back to normal; I had no life worth a damn without her—none.

******

“How’s he doing?” said Rodney.

“Shitty. He’s so afraid of her not getting back to the way she was that . . .” said Claire.

“I know, I guess I know. I am pulling out all of the stops to get that woman rebuilt. Cost is no object. I just hope that medicine and technology are up to the task,” he said.

“Do you have any news on that front?” she said.

“I have some people looking into it. Trouble is this is an area where I have no inkling as to how to proceed. I do have a friend who I have turned on to some investments who says he thinks he can help at least to the extent of finding out things. He’s a professor at Cal Tech. He’s a bio-engineering scientist,” he said.

“So he should know stuff, right?” she said.

“Plastic surgery isn’t his field, but he says he knows people whose field it is and he is tapping into those for us. After everything that’s gone down over the years, this has to work out for us. We, he, deserve a break here. Damn if we all don’t” he said.

“I am so in agreement on that with you. Oh my yes,” she said. “The irony is that in this case he is forced to turn to us for help. There is no one else who would be willing to go as far as us to help him, her, out. In a way what has happened to her was a good thing. I mean it’s not that I’m glad that something this horrible happened, but it may bring us all back together. That’s a positive, right?”

“You’re right about it being ironic. And, I guess it is positive in the sense that it will help us get back on an even keel with our man. But no, I would never have wished that something this bad would happen to facilitate the rapprochement that will now likely occur because of it,” he said. She nodded.

“I’m going to talk to him about things,” she said. “Not now, but soon.”

“Things?” he said.

“Yes, you know, about rejoining the family in a big way. Like we were willing to do from day one. The day that he caught us doing it,” she said. “Not the same deal about doing threesomes or you doing me on the side, the sex stuff that I offered him at the time; but in all other respects we need to be a true family again. Right honey?” she said.

“Yes, and of course the sex thing won’t be a problem now because he has his own woman to do for him and love him and all of it,” he said.

“Yes, exactly my thinking,” she said.

******

I watched her come around. She’d been a bit more wakeful the past few days. It’d been a week since the accident and a lot had happened. Some of it was beyond the pale, such as my total change of heart as to dealing with and being around the Pollards.

The accident turned out to not be an accident. It was sabotage. Some fuckwad environmentalist was making a statement about fossil fuels. He’d evidently planned to blow up the place after hours, but had miss-set the timer on his more or less sophisticated device: Instead of midnight it went off at noon. The cops had him in custody and he was looking at likely life in the slam. I wanted the death penalty for the shit head, and for that matter all of his cohorts which I was sure there had to be some.

The bad news for me, I guess it was bad news, was that, since the explosion had been caused by a bio-terrorist, suing the company was not an option. They, Harcort Industrial, were not responsible. I would be totally depending on my ex-best friend for help in saving my wife. The good news, to balance against the bad, was that Rodney and Claire were willing to help and were setting no limits.

“Hi,” she said. “Her voice sounded normal to me, well, more or less.

“You too,” I said.

“Jimmy...” she said.

“Honey?” I said.

“I’m scared,” and she started to cry which inspired me to do the same.

“Honey, you are going to be good. It’s going to take a little time, but you’re going to be good,” I said. I hoped that I was selling the product. I wanted her to be confident, and, and if not actually happy about things at least a little bit patient.

Her entire upper body was wrapped in what I was calling swaddling clothes. Her facial covering left small openings for her nostril and her eyes, but the rest was completely covered. The nurses, I had learned, had resisted letting her see her face when they changed the dressings telling her that the wrappings had to be done quickly and that delaying things even for moments was not a good idea. Did she believe them? Hell no! But, she didn’t push it fearing the worst, and not wanting her fears validated.

I had gotten some info from Rodney—the doctors were talking primarily to him now—that the plastic surgery part of things and not just for her face, but the rest of her too, was slated to begin in another week, week three since the incident; we were not calling it an accident anymore.

******

“Yes, he is very angry; he wants to kill the guy who set the bomb. I guess it’s a good thing that he’s got other fish to fry for the moment,” said Rodney.

“Yes,” said Claire, “taking care of his wife. A small upside to him having lost his legs, I’d be afraid that if he had his legs that he’d go after the guy in police custody or not.”

“You might be right. Actually, I would if I were him, no question or not much of one for damn sure,” he said. She nodded.

“Anyway, you were able to get that guy form Johns Hopkins?” she said.

“Yes, he supposedly can perform miracles in the plastic surgery realm. So, well, I guess we’ll be seeing,” he said.

“Yes, well, I sure hope that he can. I can’t remember hoping so hard for anything,” she said. “What’s his name again?”

“Doctor Albert Kohlburt,” said Rodney.

“You going to be talking to him yourself?” she said.

“Don’t know. James will be of course, so maybe, probably,” he said.

“Rebecca went there last night,” she said. “She told me that Ann’s spirits were up, so I guess that’s good news. She actually talked to her for a little while James went downstairs to get a bite to eat and some coffee.”

“Did she say anything about her dad?” he said.

“Not much. She said he seemed nervous. Understandable. I gotta tell yuh, I sure wish the procedures especially the ones relating to her facial burns get done sooner rather than later.” she said.

“Yeah, that goes without saying,” he said.

******

“Well,” said Sam. “So what’s the news?”

“Tomorrow’s the big day. The first surgery is going to be performed by Dr. Kohlburt and he sounded optimistic. I’ll be there for that. I’m going to be working afterwards. She’s going to be out of it all day. But then I’m going in after work to be with her until they kick me out,” I said.

“You want me to be there to hold your hand,” said Sam. “I mean it.”

“No, that’s okay. Rodney’s going to be there, and maybe Claire too, not sure about her, but probably,” I said.

“Jim, I know it’s not any of my business, but it’s looking more and more like you’re going to need to rethink your friendship with the two of them. I mean what they did so long ago is what it is, and what it is, wasn’t and isn’t good. But all of that said, I think they are genuinely remorseful for their actions at the time; and, no matter what they do or you do now; there’s no way to get things back to the way things were in those days. There just isn’t, Jim, there just isn’t,” said Sam. “And, life goes on, and, they are doing their damnedest to do right by Ann, and by inference you, now. They are.” I nodded.

“Everything you say is right on. And just between us. I wonder, if they could redo everything that happened in those days, would they? That’s the one question I still have. Still . . .

“What you say about what they are doing for Ann, now, in the present, does it make up for everything? On the face of it, I’m gonna say yes it does. Put another way, this is as big a good thing as what happened then was a bad thing. So yes, one can make the case that amends have been made, or, more accurately are in the process of being made.

“So, okay, I will be doing what you suggest, Sam. I will be rethinking the friendship thing. I will be thinking about it a lot and very deeply,” I said.

“Good,” he said, “I think that’s good and the right thing to do.”

What I hadn’t exactly said, or admitted to Sam, was that I had already been thinking along the lines that he’d laid out to me. Old offenses were going to be both forgiven and forgotten.

******

The man in white came through the big doors, and he had the look, well, a business like look.

“Doctor Kohlburt?” I said.

“Yes, Mister Clausen, she’s doing fine. She’s sleeping now and will be for quite a while. But, you’ll be able to go in to her in a little bit. They’re taking her to her room now,” he said.

“And,” I said.

“And, the operation, this first one, was a success. The bandages will come off in a week’s time. The entire healing process is always a matter of how well the patient reacts to all of the protocols. But, I’m thinking in your wife’s case it’ll be about a month.

“I should caution that there are still more procedures that need to be attended to, but she will pull through, and she should be as good as new or nearly so in a few months at most,” he said. “I know you’re anxious to get it all over with and done, but she was in a very bad way, and we all just need to be patient and let the healing process take its course.”

“Doctor, thank you very much for your help. They said you could work miracles. I guess you have,” I said.

“Don’t know about miracles, but in this case, things are looking good,” he said.

******

“She’s still sleeping?” said Claire.

“Yes, she was a wake for a little while, and we were able to share a few words; but I guess rest is the order of the day. I hate it that I have to work during the day. I want to be with her all of the time. But, the doctor, and even Sam and Henry and your husband, tell me that I need to get back to work and start earning a living so I can support that very high maintenance woman in there,” I said. We were standing and doing some pacing, in my case the mental kind, in the waiting room just outside the ICU room that Ann was in. We could see everything through the floor-to-ceiling glass wall of the one person unit.

“Yes, well, I’m sure they’re right, James. All of the worrying or the worst parts of it for sure, are in the rearview mirror now. Becca will be here in a little while to take over for us. She’d grown to really like your wife,” said Claire. “I think that they’re bonding pretty well. That’s a good thing in my opinion.”

“Yes, yes it is,” I said, “and you’re right they had developed a relationship over these past couple of years. I know we, you and I and Rodney haven’t talked about it much. But . . .”

“Yes, I mean no, we haven’t. But, James, soon, one of these days, you and I have to have a sit down. Would that be all right?” said Claire.

“Yes, that would be fine,” I said. “Whatever you want. You and Rodney came to the rescue of my wife and I won’t be forgetting that ever.”

“Jim, Rodney and I want you to know that you have carte blanche with us. Whatever you need, or Ann, we’re there for you Mister. Okay?” she said.

“Sure, no problem,” I said. She could see I was still holding back something. She called me on it.

“James, stop that now. I know that the problems of the past are deep rooted in you, but it’s time to let it all go and to start new,” she said.

“Sure, you bet,” I said, and I said it in my least convincing tone of voice.

“Jim Clausen!” she didn’t quite scream.

“I’m sorry,” I said. “I don’t know what the heck is wrong with me. You weren’t there of course to hear him, but Sam told me the same thing you just did. I mean about dumping all of the old baggage. Can I say that I’m in the process? Like you said, all of it is kinda deep rooted. I think sometimes I just react the way I have conditioned myself to react. It’s not even how I really feel, at least I don’t think it is.” She nodded.

“Yes, I understand, I guess. It has to be hard for you,” she said.

“It kinda is. I mean I am so grateful first to God for you and your husband being there, and second for the chance to maybe make everything right again. But, I do still have some feelings that are out there. Feelings for you, Claire. I wanted and want you to be happy. And, I wanted to be the one to make you happy. When I lost that chance, and realized that maybe I’d never really had that chance; well, it cut real deep. But, as you say one of these days we’ll be talking you and I, and, I’m hopeful for a positive outcome,” I said.

“Me too, Mister, and I do understand,” said Claire. “And we will indeed be having that little talk.”

I saw her before Claire did.

“Becca,” I said. “Glad you could make it. I know you had work today. How are you?” I hadn’t seen her for a few days, our schedules didn’t mesh. I knew she’d been by of course, taking her shift as we were all beginning to refer to our times with my wife.

“Good Dad. I’m good and happy to be here. How is she,” said Becca, nodding toward the sleeping woman in the room across from us.

“She’s good,” I said. “The doctors have been keeping a close eye on things.”

“Well, good,” she said. “Hi mom.” She turned to her mother and smiled. It felt strange, no good, the three of us there together: mom, dad, and daughter. I wondered if either of them had a clue how I felt about that. Life, she was complicated sometimes. This was one of those times.

******

I headed on home. I needed to get a little sleep myself. And, I needed to think about what Claire had said about our sitting down together. Yes, for sure that. I really did have things to think about and consider. Sammy’s thinking came back to me. What also came back to me was the realization of how close to Sammy’s thinking was Claire’s, and really, my own. I just wondered, still wondered, considering everything that the two of them advised, if it was actually going to be possible to completely dump all of the bad stuff built up over so many years. Well, we’d, I’d, be seeing I supposed.

And then it was six months later and my wife was home and working in the garden and looking as beautiful as she ever had, at least to me.

CHAPTER 24:

I was exiting the chapel in my chair, and he came up to me. “James, how are you?” said Captain Traynor.

“Good, Captain, good.

AndriEscobar
Online Now!
Lush Cams
AndriEscobar

You and Captain Dora?” I said.

“Yes, also very good. A couple of your friends came by the other day,” he said.

I looked him askance. “Sammy and Henry?” I said. The dynamic duo did know the Traynors of course. They’d each talked to them a number of times both together and individually over the last few years. But, I also knew that they hadn’t talked to them recently, for quite a while actually, and certainly not in the months since Ann had gotten back.

“Yes, oh and they didn’t come by to talk about you though both you and Ann were mentioned obviously,” he said. “No, they’re planning on coming to church more regularly, the both of them.” I think my mouth was hanging open.

“The Salvation Army church?” I said.

“Yep,” he said. “Sam had asked some questions before, but hadn’t shown any real interest at the time in coming in, but he has now; the both of them have. Surprised me as much as you seem to be surprised,” he said.

“Yeah, well I am surprised,” I said. “Yeah the two of them will be talking to me right soon. Like maybe today.” I didn’t laugh, didn’t really smile, but I knew the captain could see that I was wanting to understand what was going on.

“On another score, how are you and the Pollard family getting on?” he said. Again I didn’t smile, but I did nod in a positive way.

“Okay, I guess,” I said. “They were there for Ann when it counted. A man can’t forget something like that; I never will for sure.”

“Hmm,” said the Captain.

“Yes?” I said. It was clear to me that he wanted to tell me something or comment or something, but was reticent to do so.

“Yes, I know they were there for the two of you, and I do men the two of you. I had the feeling that Mister Pollard was very much as interested in resolving issues with you as he was of supporting Ann’s recovery,” he said. I nodded.

“Well, we’re getting on pretty good these days, to answer your question,” I said.

“Hmm,” he said.

“Captain, is there something?” I said.

“No, no, it’s just that; well, I ran into him, Mister Pollard, the other day,” he said. “He was kind of iffy about how the two of you were getting on. As a matter of fact, he said pretty much the same things you just got done saying almost word for word actually.”

“Well, okay,” I said. “That’s good right? But I mean but iffy?”

“James, I’ve been in this business for a long time as you know. It’s clear to me that at best you are doing your best to ‘not’ offend Mister Pollard. But, maybe not your best to heal old wounds,” said Captain Traynor.

“Captain, I mean, I’m not sure that I understand you,” I said.

“Jim, have you visited the man? Have you invited him to your place just to watch a ball game? I know you thanked him, said all the right things after Ann recovered thank the Lord. But well, I mean...”

I was nodding. I looked away and then back at the man. “It’s hard, sir, very hard,” I said.

“Things, worth the time to do or to have, often come with a lot of hard work attached to them, Jim. Anyway, think about what we’ve talked about today. Okay?” he said.

“Sure, I guess,” I said.

******

The man was right. There was no doubt about that. But could I do what he was suggesting? I wasn’t sure about that, not sure at all. But he had made a couple of offhand suggestions that might be worth the time to consider, and I had now to consider them, and now I wondered if my ex-best friend forever would be on time.

I was tilting back a Lite. I heard the car pull up out front. I wheeled myself over to the window. I smirked, right on time I thought. Not early not late, but right on time. I had left the door ajar. He knew to push and enter. It had been the way I had arranged things the few times he and Claire had visited after Ann’d gotten back from Grayson. It had been four or five months since the last time.

“Hello,” I said, as he let himself in as predicted. He did close the door behind him; well, it was cold outside; early April sometimes was.

“Back atcha,” he said. “Thanks for the invite. Ann around?” She hadn’t been in evidence since he walked in, hence the question.

“No, believe it or not she’s at church. A women’s club thing,” I said. She doesn’t like baseball anyway. Get yourself a brew; I stocked up.” He nodded and headed for the kitchen. He was back in one minute.

“So what’s the occasion?” he said coming back into the front room.

“Nothing. I mean the ballgame, but nothing besides that. It just occurred to me that after everything that we hadn’t gotten together for much anything or talked or—anything—I mean since Ann got out of the hospital,” I said.

‘”Okay,” he said, and he said it slowly, suspicion the order of the hour.

“Oh hell, Rod, it’s taken me a bit of time, but after everything, as I say, I think we need to reconnect as friends. You did some stuff, you and Claire. I reacted. Then you came through for me and Ann, and I well, and now I’m reacting.

“I have to tell you, ask you, make this easy on me, Rod. It’s uncharted territory, and I’m not real good at navigating stuff like this,” I said.

“Okay, okay,” he said. “But can I ask you something?”

“Sure, I guess,” I said.

“Are you saying that we’re friends again? I mean this is not just a matter of us burying the hatchet and calling things even, but actually friends again?” he said.

“I think so,” I said. “What do you say, think, want?”

“You know damn well what I want, big guy,” he said. He came at me, not to me, but at me and offered me his hand. I took it and shook it and I think I won the squeeze contest.

“Okay then,” I said.

“Okay then is right. Now, what time does the game start,” he said.

I looked up at the clock. “About fifteen minutes,” I said. I raised my almost empty Lite and started to turn toward the kitchen.

“Hang on there hoss, I’ll get it.” I nodded my okay to be served. Well, I am a cripple, and there are some perks, small ones, that even an asshole like me will accept without complaint or demonstration of false pride.

******

“You’re fucking kidding me!” said Claire.

“No, and I almost lost it when I realized what he was trying to say,” said Rodney.

“Well, how do you like them apples,” she said. “It’s fucking time!”

“Oh yeah, and I think from now on we’re going to be good,” he said. “He has actually buried the past. Or maybe that’s not quite right. He’s decided to forgive the past and be grateful for the present which he sees as good because of what we were able to do for him, and I do mean him. Ann was the catalyst, but he’s the one who got the most relief, at least that’s what I think.”

“I think you’re right at least on the emotional level. Yes it was him we saved. And in the saving earned his forgiveness for, well, all of it,” she said.

“I feel like celebrating,” he said.

“The Crossroads?” she said.

“Sounds good. Maybe we’ll bump into him there but probably not. He was kinda disappointed when his Dodgers ate the weenie today. I think he’s going to be moping around. Oh, and he an Ann are coming over next Saturday. He has to ask her, but I don’t see it likely that she’ll demur.”

“That’s good about them coming over. Oh, and I should ask, we’re you wearing your Padre’s cap today?” she said.

“Of course! Oh and I even offered to get him one which almost ruined our new-old friendship,” he said. The two of them started laughing. Well, it was a good moment and one a long time in coming.

******

The Crossroads was busy. Marie and Jackie were both on duty, and both of them were running. Marie was handling the bar and Jackie was handling floor operations. Marie in her early sixties and Jackie the youngster in her early fifties were moving like teenagers on speed.

“Ain’t got no tables, Rod,” she said. But Sam and Henry got one; wanna join ‘em,” she said.

Rodney looked at his wife. She nodded. “Okay, that’d be good,” said Rod.

“Well howdy doody,” said Henry, as the Pollards pulled up seats across from them.

“Too you too Henry, Sam,” said Rodney Pollard, catching his wife’s coat as she tossed it to him and took her seat next to him. “Jackie said you had to let us sit here because they were short of booths tonight.”

“Yeah, well that’s how things are done here in the cheap seat section,” said Henry, smirking.

“So, a night out on the town?” said Sam.

“Exactly,” said Rod.

“Not so,” said Claire. The two friends across from her looked her askance. “No, we’re here to spend Rod’s winnings.”

“Huh?” said Sam.

“He took ten bucks off of James today: the Dodgers-Padres,” she said, “and he’s gloating though only to me.”

The two friends broke up laughing.

“Jesus,” said Henry. “That actually makes me feel good. But, you do have to give the man a chance to get even; I mean he is kinda poor, I mean compared to you guys.”

“Yeah well, there is a poker game, oh and a dinner at our place next Saturday,” said Rodney.

“Oh, you two are gonna play one on one?” said Henry.

“No, no we got a couple of other fells lined up,” he said.

“Yes,” said Claire, “You know ‘em too. Names are Henry and Sammy.”

“Yeah we know ‘em,” said Sammy. “I hear they’re pretty slick players too.”

“Hmm,” said Rodney, “Well, I hope they bring some cash with ‘em. There’s a twenty dollar buy in.”

“Yeah, well I hear that they’re pretty well heeled,” said Henry, “so that ain’t likely to be a problem.”

“But Rodney, so everything is cool with you guys and our man?” said Sam.

“Yeah it is, at least it’s getting there I think,” said Rod. “He says it is. I actually think we have a little ways to go yet: but the ice has been broken, the wall has been breached, progress has been made; well, you get the idea.” The two men across from him nodded.

“Thank God,” said Sammy.

“Yes for sure,” said Claire.

“Rod,” said Henry, “I got a call from Captain Traynor from the Salvation Army today. Sammy and I will be attending his church more or less regularly. We’re not going to be full-fledged members, but we will be attending. We like the people.”

“Huh?” said Rod.

“Yes,” said Sammy, “We kinda got to know them, the Traynors, through Jim. They’re good folks.”

“Well, that’s nice,” said Claire. “I agree they are nice people. We’re Catholics of course, but the Traynors do good work, and we, Rod and I, appreciate that about them.”

“Yes, well they did a lot for Jimmy. That kinda did it for us too. Those kinds of people are our kinds of people, not enough like ‘em,” said Henry.

The group talked for almost two hours over drinks and nachos. Henry and Sam did buy the first round. The next rounds were on the Pollards; well, they had the big bucks.

******

“Whatcha doin’ cowboy,” said Ann, coming up behind me.

“Oh Ann! Nothing really, just catching the last of the sun’s rays,” I said. “I think it’s warming up.”

“Hmm, so you thinkin’ about anything?” she said. He knew what she was getting at.

“No, I mean just him, them: it’s kind of surreal to me, I mean getting along with them as though nothing ever happened. I mean I guess I’m glad we’re all getting along and all,” I said.

“I know how it is. I went through a bit of the same when it comes to thinking about how my ex did me too,” said Ann.

“Do you think about the guy much? I mean you haven’t said much about him in quite a while,” I said.

“Oddly no. Or better said, when I suspect you’re running your history through your head, it makes me remember the things that he did to me. But otherwise hardly ever at all,” she said.

“So I’m the catalyst for you having bad thoughts?” I said. I didn’t want that, absolutely I didn’t!

“The catalyst? I guess that that would be one way to characterize it. But it’s more like I realize how much you were hurting and maybe still are, and then I compare my situation to yours and I don’t feel so bad.

“Am I doing things the right way, Ann,” I said. “The Traynors, well Captain Morris, it was him kind of got me off and on.”

“You ask if you are doing the right things dealing with them. I think you are doing a useful thing, and ‘maybe’ a good thing. Is it the right thing for you given everything that’s happened over all of these years? Boy that’s a toughie. I guess it is. You don’t, you really don’t, need to spend your life living in a sea of bitterness. That would be the wrong thing. So, again, are you doing the right thing? I have to say yes.

“But, Jim, it’s clear that there will be times when it doesn’t feel right, when it doesn’t work for you. For that problem you need me. Don’t keep me in the dark. No, keep me in the loop, or, as the man said, ‘Then this too shall pass,’ meaning the bad thoughts,” she said. I was nodding.

The woman next to me was way smarter than I was. I had to be thankful for that one, and the bad guy was the catalyst for bringing her into my orbit if not actually responsible for making it happen for me.

“I still feel funny being around the two of them. When it’s just him it’s not so bad, but if she is there with him I keep thinking of how long it was that I was her cuckold. And...” I started but stopped.

“And,” she said.

“I know it’s going to sound stupid, but I wonder if they talk about me, and laugh at me for being so dumb and gullible for all of those years. If I knew that they were laughing at me...” I said.

“I doubt that they do any of that. They really do owe you a debt that there is no possible way for them to pay. There are likely times when they, or one or the other of them, may feel trapped because of that little reality. But, they don’t strike me as the kind of people that are so petty that they would make fun of you off the cuff like your suggesting,” she said.

“I guess,” I said. “Thanks, Ann, sometimes just talking to you makes me feel better.”

“When are we going to be seeing them again,” she said.

“As a matter of fact, Sunday,” I said, “the day after tomorrow. They’re coming for dinner.”

“Nice of you to tell me,” she said.

“Just something simple, no need to have a holiday feast when it’s not a holiday,” I said.

“You leave those kinds of decisions to me,” she said. “But, no problem there’s enough time. I’ll be shopping tomorrow.

“Oh, but no more poker, the boys took your sorry ass to the cleaners last time! We ain’t billionaires like the Pollards. Okay?” she said, she was smiling. I knew she didn’t give a damn about the twenty bucks, every penny of which I’d lost.

Thinking about it, I had to laugh and I did. Henry’d pretty much cleaned us all out at the last game, a month gone

******

The four of them showed up for dinner as planned, that is the dinner was planned. We were only expecting the three of them, the Pollards.

“And, who is this handsome young man?” I said, as the four of them passed me. He was a boy, maybe Becca’s age: twenty-six or twenty-seven.

“Daddy, this is Gerald,” said Becca. “He’s my intended.”

I stood stock still. The others had already passed me into the front room of our little place. They were watching my reaction. And, I did good. My response was truly brilliant.

“Huh?” I said. Becca smiled. The young man stuck out his hand to me.

“We’re going to be married,” said Becca. “But, dad, it’s cold. Can you shut the door, please?”

“Oh, yeah, sure,” I said. I shut the door.

It was clear to me that the Pollards, the two older Pollards had gotten the news before me. Not that that was the biggest deal in the world, but I had never even heard of the kid, or having heard, sure as hell didn’t remember hearing about him. I decided to mention it.

“Well, greetings,” I said, unnecessarily. “Rebecca’s been keeping you a secret. How long have you two known each other?”

“Daddy, can we have a drink of something. I’ll tell you all about it,” said Rebecca.

Ann took matters into her hands. “Claire, like to join me?” she said.

“We’ll help too,” said the two youngsters. That left me and my new-old best friend.

“We knew the kid, well, we’d met him before,” said Rodney. “He was her prom date and he’d dated her off and on for a while back in the day, but that was some nine years ago. But we, Claire and I, just heard about their plans an hour ago. As a matter of fact we didn’t even know she’d been dating the guy again.” I nodded.

“Okay, well, you know the guy a little then. Is he a good guy? What?” I said.

“He was back when. I guess he still is. But, James, they’re 27 years old. They’re old enough to make their own decisions, and, they have,” he said.

“I assume he has a last name,” I said.

“McCready. He’s a mechanic. He likes old movies. He has a chopped, lowered, channeled, dagoed chariot: a ’56 Chevy basically. It’s a rod he’s been doing things to since he graduated from high school. His dad gave him the car as a graduation present,” said Rodney.

“Hmm, I guess it’s my turn then to talk to our erstwhile daughter,” I said. “I assume you already have.”

“Yes, well I have. Claire left that little ditty to me,” he said. I nodded.

Just then the kitchen crowd joined us.

“Here’re the drinks,” announced Claire, leading the parade into the room.

She had the pitcher of whatever, and Becca had a platter of glasses suitable for martinis.

“Martinis,” said Ann. Everybody but me hurrahed the bringer of liquid justice. I did get my drink poured for me by Claire, Becca had handed me the glass a second before.

“You’ll like him, Daddy,” she whispered to me when she handed me the glass. I gave her a look that said a lot, and she translated it, the look, quite accurately I was sure.

It was a good hour after dinner that I was able to corral my daughter for a private word.

“So you met Gerald in school, that right?’ I said.

“Yes dad. He was a good guy, not all Rushin’ hands and Roamin’ fingers if you get my meaning,” she said. I nodded.

“So what does he do for a living? He does have a job, right?” I said. Rodney had already clued me as to the man’s occupation, but I wanted to get her talking about the kid.

“He’s a mechanic, Daddy. He makes a good living. We’ll be fine,” she said. She didn’t say that her other daddy was rich and would pretty much guarantee that they did well; that was a given.

“Hmm, yes, well that’s good,” I said.

“Dad, I know what you’re thinking. Daddy Rodney is rich so we will be too. Well, that’s not exactly true,” she said. “Gerald wants to make it on his own, our own. He won’t take anything from Dad, my other dad. My fiancé is independent and so am I.”

I know my look must have surprised her. “Oh really,” I said.

“Yes, really,” she said.

Now I was very interested in this independent guy that she was into. I had to admit to a certain amount of pride that she’d picked an apparent winner in this Gerald fellow. Well, if what she’d said was a true thing. I wondered if his highness, my new BFF, was in the know about this independence thing. I figured to be more than surprised if he were. I’d be talking to my wife about some stuff for sure.

Rebecca and I talked for a bit more before I was commandeered by my ex-wife.

“Got a few for this old gal,” said Claire.

“You’re not old,” I said, matter-of-factly, but sure, I guess so.”

“Well, thank you for that, sir,” she said. She walked toward the back of the room where the sliding glass door opened onto the patio. It was clear she didn’t want anyone overhearing us. It wasn’t cold out, but no one else was outside. I was intrigued. I followed her out.

I was in my chair with a blanket covering my stumps, so I was comfortable.

She turned toward me and leaned back against the wood railing of the patio. “So whaddya think?” she said.

“Of Gerald?” I said.

“Yes,” she said.

“Don’t really know, but he does seems to be a man of character,” I said. “I mean judging by what Rebecca told me.”

“Yes, he does,” she said. “We’ve met him before, seen him a number of times back when they were in high school. Becca told me that they ran into each other in a bar. That led to a renewal of their interest in each other, and well . . .”

“I see,” I said. “So why the subterfuge? I mean us coming out here into the cool night air.” She deflated, but only a little.

“Claire?” I said, taking the lead.

“Jim, Rodney wanted me to take the lead here on something, something he wants to ask you. He knows you won’t take any big gifts from us. It’s who you are: a man of character to paraphrase your analysis of our future son-in-law,” she said.

“Claire?” I said, repeating myself.

“Well, Rodney has been kinda loosely following innovations in the development of prosthetics for amputees, like you, sir,” she said.

“Claire!” I said. Impatience was a virtue I had long been refining into a near art form. I was getting impatient now, oh yeah!

“Well, we know how seriously difficult it is for you to get around. Even though, I hasten to add, you’ve been an inspiration to all of us in how you’ve adjusted, really!” she said.

“Claire, please get to it, whatever ‘it’ is,” I said.

“Okay, you’re right,” she said. “Well, it would make things a lot better for you when the two of you walk our daughter down the aisle.”

“Huh?” I said, “the two of us what? Claire get to it!”

“Yes, Rod hopes you’ll allow that the both of you walk her down the aisle.” I know my brow wrinkled, but I skipped ahead in my thinking.

And what exactly is it that would make walking her down the aisle easier for me?” I said.

“A new kind of artificial legs, very up to date, computerized actually, and they’re adaptable to you special. I know that up till now that there wasn’t any on the market that would be suitable for your situation, and you will have to have them fitted and periodically refitted and serviced I guess is the word, from time to time. Well anyway it’s something that Rod and I both want to do for you, and you have to let us, Jim. Jim, you have to allow us this little bit of grace here. Please,” she said.

“Boy she was slick was my ex-wife. Not only did she make me an offer that it was going to be real hard to refuse, if indeed I even did consider refusing, she’d also slipped in the obvious, if not unduly vague, request that I be okay with sharing the walking of my daughter down the aisle.

I felt myself smile, and I saw her relax. It was clear that she was interpreting my expression as lending approval to her gambits.

Could I do it? Was I that much of a best friend again to the man who had helped make me her cuckold? I nodded. “Okay to both of your proposals,” I said. I’d caught her off guard.

“Both?” she said. My look clued her that I was onto her. She had the decency to look down.

“Was I that transparent?” she said.

“Yes,” I said.

“But, then you’re okay with it, them, the proposals?” she said.

“Yes, I guess so,” I said.

She literally rushed at me. She was crying. “Thank God,” she said.

The feel of her breasts against my cheeks as she hugged me and kissed me reminded me of how it had been in the beginning some thirty years gone. I started to get emotional, but I didn’t show it too much I didn’t suppose.

******

 

 

Published 
Written by mattmoreau
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your erotic stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments