Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Proofread your stories, proof again & get a proofing buddy Options · View
Buz
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2013 9:12:38 PM

To all authors, especially new authors on Lush. Please do not depend solely upon spellcheck and your own proofing abilities. I highly suggest that you make a friend or a few here on Lush that you can rely on to also proof your stories. It might be good to start a proofing circle or group and all help each other out. A fresh set of eyes are always better at catching typos, misspellings, grammar errors and such than the person that wrote the story. You will like the results if you do that.

I myself am a dyslexic and many other authors here are also, so I am prone to typing errors and misplacing words. I have learned through experience to never rely upon my own proofing alone and especially spellcheck. My first draft is always a real mess. I proof many times before I send my story to a friend to proof & edit for me. I have also helped many friends out in the same way.

If you do all that you will greatly cut down on the chance of your story being rejected. Also be aware of the Lush posting rules that are posted on this site.

Thanks and enjoy Lushing!

justalilfun
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2013 11:01:11 PM

Great idea Buz. But I also have a problem with spell check on lush. When I write (I think it is called a contracted word), such as didn't instead of did not. The lush spell check says it is spelled wrong. Then corrects it the same as I have typed it in.

I made the mistake of clicking correct all once. Then spent ages re proof reading and checking every part of the story again, as spell check now had the word as didn't't.

It is very frustrating.

But I do agree, you need to read the words, not the story when proof reading. If you get what I am trying to say here.