Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Oz The Great and Powerful Options · View
sprite
Posted: Sunday, March 10, 2013 3:55:04 PM

Just a quick review. it's getting kind of average ratings and reviews, but really, is there another version and i saw the wrong one? visually beautiful, fun, entertaining, a sense of whimsy - let's not forget this is supposed to be a family film. out of the 4 of us, everyone really enjoyed it. there was a lot of cleverness to it, Franco made a great Oz, there was an emotional core and a sense of whimsy and lovely nods to the Judy Garland classic. I'd give it 4 out of 5 stars without hesitation.

anyone else? :)

Love not hate.
KatR
Posted: Sunday, March 10, 2013 5:17:11 PM

My friends and I saw it together yesterday. It was really good. The only thing is they didn't put in great new songs like the original Wizard of Oz from 1939. Maybe too tall an order to come up with really memorable songs? And no, not hip-hop full of the f word, I mean family-friendly truly catchy songs we would sing for decades. But why not, they did it in 1939, surely someone today could create memorable songs too? Otherwise it was really well done.

Oz is based on a series of books by L. Frank Baum. So I thought it was pretty clever that in this "prequel," the wizard formerly worked for BAUM circus and the circus assistant he was forever insulting was named FRANK! I bet few people even noticed that. Sort of like how Alfred Hitchcock appeared in the background in the opening scene of every one of his movies, a treat for those who figured it out.

sprite
Posted: Sunday, March 10, 2013 7:52:40 PM

KatR wrote:
My friends and I saw it together yesterday. It was really good. The only thing is they didn't put in great new songs like the original Wizard of Oz from 1939. Maybe too tall an order to come up with really memorable songs? And no, not hip-hop full of the f word, I mean family-friendly truly catchy songs we would sing for decades. But why not, they did it in 1939, surely someone today could create memorable songs too? Otherwise it was really well done.

Oz is based on a series of books by L. Frank Baum. So I thought it was pretty clever that in this "prequel," the wizard formerly worked for BAUM circus and the circus assistant he was forever insulting was named FRANK! I bet few people even noticed that. Sort of like how Alfred Hitchcock appeared in the background in the opening scene of every one of his movies, a treat for those who figured it out.

did you notice that the man Annie was talking about getting engaged to was named John Gale, too. :)

Love not hate.
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2013 6:08:30 PM

How much does it cost for 4 people to see a movie at the theatre these days? been so long.
sprite
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2013 6:44:01 PM

lovewhenuswallow wrote:
How much does it cost for 4 people to see a movie at the theatre these days? been so long.

if you go a matinee and don't do snacks (popcorn and soda etc are what cost you the MOST, not tickets) it should be around $32 depending on where you live?

Love not hate.
Buz
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2013 7:48:11 PM

Sprite I haven't seen Oz but I did enjoy you rating & reviewing it. I see a lot of 'Family' movies in my future. Ouch! But I do like cartoons!

My wife & I have to spring for hot buttered popcorn at the theater. But we often sneak in cold beer and candy bars. I am such a criminal.

Tickets at least $30, less if we hit the matinee. Popcorn is another $5-7.00, Cokes will more than double that.

sprite
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2013 7:49:24 PM

Buz wrote:
Sprite I haven't seen Oz but I did enjoy you rating & reviewing it. I see a lot of 'Family' movies in my future. Ouch! But I do like cartoons!

My wife & I have to spring for hot buttered popcorn at the theater. But we often sneak in cold beer and candy bars. I am such a criminal.

Tickets at least $30, less if we hit the matinee. Popcorn is another $5-7.00, Cokes will more than double that.

we will sneak in snacks but usually buy drinks there. of course, sometimes you just NEED hot buttered popcorn! :)

Love not hate.
Buz
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2013 8:40:57 PM

C'mon Sprite...sneak in a few beers. OR liquor and mixers, set up bar and sneak in some candy bars. Live dangerously!

PS. I wouldn't sneak in a water bong and weed though.

hotairgasm
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2013 9:35:15 PM

Friends of mine got the gig to tour a hot air balloon around the USA to promote the film. Here is a video vignette of their adventure.

Have you ever had an "Airgasm"? Take a sexy ride in a hot air balloon and enjoy the view from a mile high.

Mile High Club in a Balloon
Jinxy
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2013 10:15:36 PM

I want to see it, looks really good! :D

†Jinxy Approved†

LadyX
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 7:45:31 PM

Buz wrote:

But we often sneak in cold beer

How does this not end up soaking your wife's purse from the condensation?...assuming that's where you're sneaking it in. evil4 If so, she's a better woman than I. I'll give him the cash to buy the beer before I turn my purse into a dark swamp.
CurlyGirly
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 8:14:58 PM

sprite wrote:
Just a quick review. it's getting kind of average ratings and reviews, but really, is there another version and i saw the wrong one? visually beautiful, fun, entertaining, a sense of whimsy - let's not forget this is supposed to be a family film. out of the 4 of us, everyone really enjoyed it. there was a lot of cleverness to it, Franco made a great Oz, there was an emotional core and a sense of whimsy and lovely nods to the Judy Garland classic. I'd give it 4 out of 5 stars without hesitation.

anyone else? :)

Great to know. I have a date with a smallish person to see it this weekend. thumbup
Kitanica
Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2013 4:17:17 PM

I'm passing on this movie. I dont particularly care for James Franco and Mila Kunis is alright as long as she doesn't speak otherwise all I hear is her yipping like a chiuaua from that 70s show.

Maybe one day i'll see it on cable but it'll be hard to beat the tinman miniseries with Zooey Deschanel and Neal McDonough.
kornslayer1
Posted: Thursday, December 12, 2013 4:02:39 PM

I was never a fan of the first one, but even I know for a fact, that this prequel was 100% unnecessary.

Feel free to check out any of my stories. I have a few poems too.
https://www.lushstories.com/stories/taboo/the-horror-and-the-loving-lust-collide.aspx
https://www.lushstories.com/stories/love-poems/my-valentines-day-life-sentence.aspx
https://www.lushstories.com/stories/taboo/my-step-brother-wants-me.aspx