Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

RIP J.D. Salinger Options · View
nicola
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2010 3:19:14 PM

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=114186193&ps=cprs

The famously reclusive author J.D. Salinger has died at his New Hampshire home, his literary representative said in a statement. He was 91 years old.

Jerome David Salinger retreated to a New Hampshire farmhouse in 1953, a few years after he published the high-school classic The Catcher in the Rye. And there he stayed, for the next 50-plus years, scowling at photographers who dared snap his picture.

'I Refuse to Publish'

Salinger's published works include Nine Stories, a short-story collection, and Franny and Zooey, a novella about one of his favorite fictive subjects, the sensitive Glass family. His last published work was a short story that took up almost the whole New Yorker magazine in 1965 — though rumors have Salinger stashing reams of unpublished fiction in a vault.

Salinger rarely explained himself, though the interview requests never ceased. In 1980, reporter Betty Eppes sent her picture along with her request. She was granted one of the only interviews the author ever gave.
LadySharon
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2010 3:30:58 PM

May Holden Caulfield live on in fiction forever.

The Roommates Trilogy:
Roommates with Benefits
Roommates with Benefits: Snowed In
Roommates with Benefits: The Working Vacation is now available for your reading pleasure

Latest poem, Longing, is out now!

College Sex:

New story now available!
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2010 4:27:14 PM

crybaby
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2010 4:29:45 PM

I know, another great mind bites the dust...woke up and heard the news...(bummed out)
Jezziebelle
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2010 4:39:07 PM

nicola wrote:

Salinger rarely explained himself, though the interview requests never ceased. In 1980, reporter Betty Eppes sent her picture along with her request. She was granted one of the only interviews the author ever gave.

Because she was a high schooler. He loved teenagers, thought they were full of innocence that was being eroded and all that.

Right there. Oh yeah baby. Right there.
RumpleForeskin
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2010 4:43:35 PM

nicola wrote:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=114186193&ps=cprs

The famously reclusive author J.D. Salinger has died at his New Hampshire home, his literary representative said in a statement. He was 91 years old.

Jerome David Salinger retreated to a New Hampshire farmhouse in 1953, a few years after he published the high-school classic The Catcher in the Rye. And there he stayed, for the next 50-plus years, scowling at photographers who dared snap his picture.

'I Refuse to Publish'

Salinger's published works include Nine Stories, a short-story collection, and Franny and Zooey, a novella about one of his favorite fictive subjects, the sensitive Glass family. His last published work was a short story that took up almost the whole New Yorker magazine in 1965 — though rumors have Salinger stashing reams of unpublished fiction in a vault.

If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born, and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth.

The Catcher in the Rye, J.D. Salinger

Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwords. - ROBERT HEINLEIN

Feels So Right, It Can't Be WrongMore steamy, seductive, straight step-sibling sex, 2-3

Becky -- FOR: Matt -- With Love:
a Festive contest winner – honest

HOW HUMANS DO IT: a fish-eye view of sex an Editor's Pick - no kidding
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2010 8:19:37 PM

Rest In Peace

First time I read this gentleman's book. I was in the 10th grade. Checked it out of the library, cause I thought it was about baseball. A teacher that I respected saw that I had a copy and asked, "You reading that in English Class." I responded, Hell No! Saw the word catcher in the title so thinking it's a baseball book. Well the teacher explained to me that it wasn't a baseball book. But he convinced me to read it and well as the saying goes, read the book without putting it down.

So to J.D. I salute you with a JD & Coke...RIP you well deserve it.
nicola
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2010 1:36:06 AM

"You take somebody that cries their goddam eyes out over phoney stuff in the movies, and nine times out of ten they're mean bastards at heart."
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2010 2:19:14 AM

3601 A toast to JD Salinger!
techgoddess
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2010 5:18:14 AM

ali2teaseu wrote:
3601 A toast to JD Salinger!

~~Tech
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do...
FantasyFiction
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2010 7:22:22 AM

What was so special about The Catcher in the Rye? Seriously, I remember reading it and thinking Holden Caufield was a whiny little bitch.

Success is doing what you love, and doing it so well that someone will pay you for it.
http://www.lushstories.com/fantasyfiction
thepainter
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2010 8:00:37 AM

Don't forget his other books which are of equal quality as "Catcher in the rye".
Awesome writer.
RIP.

Insert typical super smart ass comment courtesy of thepainter here.
redhotmommacita
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2010 8:36:27 AM

A great loss to the literary world I loved his books I read them all in high school...May he rest in peace!

Behind every strong soldier there is even a stronger woman who raised him " Proud Army Mom"

Posted: Friday, January 29, 2010 3:27:52 PM

thepainter wrote:
Don't forget his other books which are of equal quality as "Catcher in the rye".
Awesome writer.
RIP.

Right on, Painter...I enjoyed Nine Stories every big as much. It wasn't as 'charged' of a work, but it made me think just as much...which is a measure of any great book or author.
WellMadeMale
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2010 5:12:38 PM

Geeze, I guess I missed the bus.

Never read any of his stuff.

Most intelligent people are introspective and doubt themselves while many fucktards are proudly over-confident. - a tip of the hat to Charles Bukowski
Posted: Friday, February 05, 2010 5:12:46 PM

R.I.P but no toast to any of his literary works from me - I guess I just never really got Catcher the way some of you guys did.