Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

With all the talk of Global Climate Change Options · View
Posted: Sunday, April 7, 2013 11:10:25 AM

CoopsRuthie wrote:

Thanks.
The cartoon I liked was about the hole in the ozone layer, -
two penguins, one carrying a sign saying: The Hole in the Ozone is Now the Size of Europe.
The second penguin thought: "Damn those flatulent cows."

Of course that problem was fixable...
or else it didn't exist either.

To me, the question is: Why do we deny things we don't want to admit?

The problem to be fixed is us.
AbigailThornton
Posted: Monday, April 8, 2013 3:28:04 PM

DO you believe it is first more then just cyclical and 2ndly is it Man Made ?

The climate is a dynamic system, it's changing all the time. But if you look at the stats, it would appear that *something* is happening - forget 'climate' just watch the weather forecast - it's happening right now - it's the coldest, warmest, wettest, driest whatever on record every day / week / month / year everywhere on Earth all at the same time.

There's no doubt that we're digging up a lot of carbon and setting fire to it. This results in more atmospheric CO2, which we know traps heat. The scientific theory that this is causing the Earth to warm seems reasonable to me. I studied the glacial record at University in regard to Climate Change for my dissertation. The first time I ran the raw data made me think 'uh-oh'.

Nuclear is the only carbon-free technology capable of meeting our energy demands at the moment and it integrates well with other low carbon energy sources as they come online.

Dutch studies have found that wind power increases overall production of CO2 in a non-nuclear environment - since all wind generated electricity requires equivalent back-up capacity by conventional power stations and ramping those conventional stations between windy / non-windy conditions produces more CO2 than just leaving the gas on at full blast for the whole period.

TheCrimsonKing
Posted: Friday, April 19, 2013 1:17:05 AM

Scientists are often over-confident in their presumptions. To be as confident as they are in technology of the 60's, 50's, 40's, etc is very foolish in my opinion. The fact that if scientific models said nothing was happening then funds would dry up is something you can't overlook either. Believing that "big corporations" try to hide evidence and not believing that the people who get payed to research this stuff do the same is also entirely foolish.
Confidence in our superiority of this planet is illogical as well. This planet is 4.5 billion years old. We are nothing but a small flea infestation. Not that I believe mother nature is a real entity or anything, but if she wanted too, she could annihilate us in seconds.

I'm not even denying that the planet is warming or that we might be responsible. I just want some perspective thrown in for the sake of argument.
Monocle
Posted: Friday, April 19, 2013 7:05:02 PM

TheCrimsonKing wrote:
Scientists are often over-confident in their presumptions.

You clearly don't really know any scientists.

Quote:
The fact that if scientific models said nothing was happening then funds would dry up is something you can't overlook either.

You don't know how scientific funding works either.

Quote:
Believing that "big corporations" try to hide evidence and not believing that the people who get payed to research this stuff do the same is also entirely foolish.

Except for the fact that it flies in the face of the very basis of scientific inquiry. It's like saying lawyers only study law so they can become better criminals.