Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Movie first - Book Second Options · View
curvygalore
Posted: Wednesday, April 3, 2013 4:58:56 PM

Like a lot of the other posts here, I would tend to go with book first too. My only exception to the rule would be Dickens. Much as I try I am unable to wade through all those endless, endless words, brilliantly entertaining though they may be (in moderation). And some of the film and tv adaptations are superb in themselves.
Aletheia
Posted: Wednesday, April 3, 2013 6:40:42 PM

Kristind wrote:
I thought the movie Eragon was better than the book. The book had long stretches of traveling across the region with what seemed like little significance to the story.

I'm reading Eragon right now. I didn't even know there was a movie. It will be exciting to check it out when I'm done reading!

I can only think of two instances where I enjoyed the movie more than the book: The Wizard of Oz (1939) and The Lord of the Rings trilogy. I really felt, in both cases, that the screenplays were what the books should have been.

It doesn't matter to me if I read a book or see a movie first. It doesn't alter my ability to enjoy the other or even recreate characters, settings, etc in my head.
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2013 5:58:23 AM

I definitely read first.....love what your mind does to fill in the "blanks"....such as how a character looks. When it becomes a movie it's someone else's imagination filling those blanks in.
Mysteria27
Posted: Friday, April 19, 2013 12:52:21 PM

I read "The Firm" and absolutely loved it. Then I saw the movie, I liked the movie but the book was so much better. They sort of changed it for the movie version. Still a great movie, but loved the book better.
RumpleForeskin
Posted: Friday, April 19, 2013 7:22:10 PM

Being of, let's just say, advanced years, I'll bring up two book-to-movie situations from way-back-when.

The "Maltese Falcon" by Dashiell Hammett is an American classic and a must read. The movie, The Maltese Falcon, starring Humphrey Bogart is an American classic and a must see. The fun thing is the movie follows the book almost to perfection.

Margaret Mitchell's, "Gone With the Wind" was a popular, even iconic, bestseller that has continued to sell well after something like 75 years in publication. The movie, "Gone With the Wind starring Gable and Leigh (among others) is also an American classic and a must see. However, unlike, "The Maltese Falcon" there are a few things were lost in the translation to film, like for instance, one of Scarlett's husbands and two of her kids. :)

glasses8.

RUMPLATIONS: Lush's leading honky-tonk and cyber bar Home of the Lush 'in' crowd: indecent, intoxicated, & insolvent. Check it out.

Becky -- FOR: Matt -- With Love:
Festive Contest winner – honest

HOW HUMANS DO IT: a fish-eye view of sex an Editor's Pick - no kidding

A Bookish Love StoryContest runner-up and Recommended read- seriously
DamonX
Posted: Friday, October 20, 2017 9:50:11 PM

Wolf of Wall Street movie was better that the book.

Stand by Me, (The Body by Stephen King)

The Shawshank Redemption
kiera
Posted: Saturday, October 21, 2017 4:27:03 AM

I almost always prefer the book over the film.

Angels and Demons though, not so much. I struggled with the book at the end, but I really enjoyed the film.
ThePhantom
Posted: Saturday, October 21, 2017 6:16:18 AM

I remember seeing The Godfather when it first came out and how much I enjoyed it. I purchased the book a little while later and was able to see and hear the actors from the movie as I read it cover to cover..