Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Serial Killers and their prevalance. Options · View
Buz
Posted: Saturday, May 04, 2013 7:30:29 PM

Rank: The Linebacker
Moderator

Joined: 3/2/2011
Posts: 8,255
Location: Atlanta, United States
According to Wikipedia these are the Top 5 nations at producing serial killers:

1. U.S.
2. England
3. Australia
4. Germany
5. France and Japan

Canada is not far off on that list.

The leading state for producing serial killers in the USA is California.

While serial killers exist in every nation and society, the English speaking world produces the most.

So why do you think serial killers are so prevalent in our society? I saw a program on TV where sociologists said one leading factor was the hype they get from our modern news media.

Certainly serial killers get a lot of 'glory' from Hollywood with the numerous movies and TV shows that one could argue glorify the act. Many become ultra famous and become household names.

What do you think?

CleverFox
Posted: Saturday, May 04, 2013 8:12:13 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 1/25/2012
Posts: 484
Location: United States
I think we know about serial killers in these countries because these countries have a free press. We will never know about serial killers in places like the old Soviet Union or North Korea because all the information was hobbled by the state. The dictators always claimed how they were utopian so they would never admit anything like a serial killer in their perfect society.

I bet you the most successful serial killer of all time will never be known because that person will cover his or her tracks too well and the authorities have no idea he or she is killing.
Magical_felix
Posted: Saturday, May 04, 2013 8:13:10 PM

Rank: Wild at Heart

Joined: 4/3/2010
Posts: 6,392
Location: California
The answer is clear to me...

Idle hands.

These countries you listed are amongst the most developed. Hunger, need, desperation are at a minimum. This environment creates jealousy, wrath and envy amongst those that had the tools to become but never did. These societies are not used to violence as an everyday thing and the serial killer can thrive, he can go un-noticed.

California is arguably the best place on the planet to live because of weather, economy and opportunity. The women are the most beautiful as well. This can breed hate and will amongst the have-nots. You have a have-not with will power and a skewed mind and you just created a serial killer.



elitfromnorth
Posted: Saturday, May 04, 2013 8:49:17 PM

Rank: Brawling Berserker

Joined: 2/12/2012
Posts: 1,635
Location: Burrowed, Norway
One reason with the US could very much be because you put the name, picture and personal info of whoever is arrested and later convicted on the front page. Most countries, if any at all, does it to that scale. Here we have a few extraordinary cases where the names of the perps are mentioned. I can only remember two murder trials where this has happened, one was the 22nd of July trial(which in fairness was a terrorist act) and one was a tripple homocide and kinda complex and crap. Anyway, in Norway, murdering several people doesn't necessary give you the "fame" that it does in the US.

Maybe the media should consider restricting themselves and not give out too much info on the perp. "A man/woman aged 43 was arrested for the (insert media created nickname here) killings" is pretty much all you need. Then the person won't be given that much media attention and thus won't be named publically.

But I'm just guessing here and I could be wrong.

"It's at that point you realise Lady Luck is actually a hooker, and you're fresh out of cash."
kylie_kained
Posted: Saturday, May 04, 2013 9:33:37 PM

Rank: Detention Seeker

Joined: 8/17/2010
Posts: 996
Location: Over your Knee Screaming and Kicking!, United King
Media Hype these days is a huge thing these day's for anyone to get noticed. But pre-grand media not so maybe only news papers and writings, of course the English speaking community or if you like the advanced world. Many lower developed Countrys were never reporting these things.
















Chrissy123
Posted: Saturday, May 04, 2013 9:34:27 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 7/9/2012
Posts: 4,158
Location: In my bed waiting for you!, United States
I agree...too many tv shows and movies about the idea of being a serial killer and unfortunately they are entertaining. I watch all the time and then hav nightmares about being killed....well at least I don't live in California!

CleverFox
Posted: Sunday, May 05, 2013 6:11:24 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 1/25/2012
Posts: 484
Location: United States
I don't think people like Son of Sam, BTK, Dahmer, John Wayne Gacey, or the Green River Killer got started because they wanted media attention. These people started killing because they were sick individuals.

Yes, they did get media attention but that helped catch the killer in the case of BTK. I believe he got in contact with the police once he knew the police wanted him and that lead to his capture.

I don't know if the media attention is good or bad. Yes it makes the killers try to get attention(Dylan Harris and Eric Kliebold come to mind) but then I do think the populace does have a right to know if there are people out there stalking innocents so the would be victims can take precautions.
Guest
Posted: Sunday, May 05, 2013 7:11:46 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 701,055
You guys are hitting the nail on the head with your points. Most serial killers, think that if they do this, they are glorified. Instead of giving them there 15 minutes of fame, lets start having the stories of what little good we have left in this world.
Dancing_Doll
Posted: Sunday, May 05, 2013 7:37:53 PM

Rank: Alpha Blonde
Moderator

Joined: 2/17/2010
Posts: 6,836
Location: Your dirty fantasy
These are developed countries (with decent sized populations) where when people go missing, it's actually noticed and reported. From there, patterns of killings can be analyzed and detected and it's easier to solve the puzzle and attribute a bunch of killings to one person.

In many other highly populated, third world countries, it's a lot easier to go undetected. People go missing all the time and nobody breaks a sweat over it. There's probably plenty of serial killers at work, but it's easier to fly under the radar, especially with corrupt justice systems and lack of media to create awareness and fear among the public.

Within a developed country you can see this same phenomenon at work when a serial killer targets prostitutes, drug addicts and fringe members of society as his victims. Usually the guy has to kill at least 25+ of them before the police and public start to notice or even care. On the other hand, if a serial killer has a penchant for pretty middle-class college girls, he's going to get noticed a whole lot faster.

Ruthie
Posted: Sunday, May 05, 2013 9:16:02 PM

Rank: Moderator Emeritus

Joined: 10/21/2010
Posts: 2,808
Location: United States
I know that Jack the Ripper got a lot of press. Who knows why he was killing prostitutes? I wouldn't trust a serial killer to give me their actual motivation anyway. Like Ted Bundy, whatever they say tends to be self serving. I suspect that they just like killing people. I wonder if cultures that have more serial killers celebrate individual achievement more than those that don't. Are most serial killers sociopaths? Sociopaths can hide out in a country filled with individualists without attracting much attention. In countries that tend more toward group think and cultural oneness, the sociopath would tend to be noticed.

A lot more serial killers might be operating than we realize. Like Ashleigh said, when it's fringe members of a society being killed, it isn't reported on as much, and it takes a lot longer to link the deaths together.
SITTING
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2013 2:39:22 AM

Rank: Wilful Wallflower
Moderator

Joined: 8/11/2011
Posts: 900
Location: In the library, Leeds, United Kingdom
Magical_felix wrote:
The answer is clear to me...

Idle hands.

These countries you listed are amongst the most developed. Hunger, need, desperation are at a minimum. This environment creates jealousy, wrath and envy amongst those that had the tools to become but never did. These societies are not used to violence as an everyday thing and the serial killer can thrive, he can go un-noticed.

California is arguably the best place on the planet to live because of weather, economy and opportunity. The women are the most beautiful as well. This can breed hate and will amongst the have-nots. You have a have-not with will power and a skewed mind and you just created a serial killer.


I've never thought of it like this before that but now you've said it, it makes so much sense.

Stalker, ballet dancer, obsession...
Metilda
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2013 7:14:33 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 3/10/2013
Posts: 1,293
Location: United States
Actually - studying this topic will reveal that serial killers are only well-tracked in these countries. We put a significant amount of time and effort towards accurately tracking, identifying, and cataloging criminals and their behaviors - as is evident by the fact that all modern-day psychologists and other analysts are mostly of these same national-origins.

Tracking and general concern and awareness has steadily increased in the US over the last few decades - which is reflected in the number of 'known' serial killers. Admittedly - leaders of this field state that their improved ability to identify said related crimes (evidence discovery, nationwide databases with more details information regarding crime scenes, etc) has improved. Also, what has changed dramatically are what classifies one as being a serial killer. These days in the US, for example, gang and drug related violence is included - it didn't use to be.

It's a misleading statistic - as are many that are supposed to 'reflect' the state of ___ interest on a global scale. Only a few countries put forward the necessary effort in order to be comparable to others. Most statistics offered for a majority of countries worldwide are done so through statistical analysis groups and entities often functioning on behalf of other nations or realms of science. In that regard - not every nation allows such outside involvement.


elitfromnorth
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2013 9:05:23 AM

Rank: Brawling Berserker

Joined: 2/12/2012
Posts: 1,635
Location: Burrowed, Norway
Western and more developed countries do celebrate individual achievement a lot more than non-developed countries where social bonds are tighter. In a more tight knit community the groups are more likely to pick up, help and carry what we today call what would in the western world be called "failures". As they don't have a government that's capable of picking up the homeless in the same manner as we do, the "failures" of society does a big portion of the work by either giving food or shelter or helping them in one way or another(unless they have been shunned completely from the village for different reasons).

How many here can say that they've activly helped someone who is unable to work and maybe homeless in one way or another? Doubt it's many, other than the occasional coin in the cup. We don't consider the "failures" our responsibility unless they're really close family, and not even then is it guaranteed that the family will take care of them.

We are indeed more likely to let resourceful people feel like failures, either financially or socially, and especially the latter one, where we stay away from the "awkward" people, they in return isolate themselves more, and before you know it they snap.

But of course, that's not the answer, but just a piece of the puzzle.

"It's at that point you realise Lady Luck is actually a hooker, and you're fresh out of cash."
overmykneenow
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2013 11:13:19 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 6/8/2010
Posts: 1,301
Location: United Kingdom
I'd be very wary of that league table: has it been published or is it simply adding up the number of entries on the
List of serial killers by country wiki page?

A problem arises in that mulitple murderers in English speaking countries appear to be more readily reported as serial killings. If you look on that list, most countries only list serial killers with a body count of over half a dozen people - the list for England and the US has numerous entries for people who have killed three people - many of them barely fulfil the criteria of what most people would describe as a serial killler.

I'd say that list isn't anywhere near exhaustive and maybe a little puffed-up for England and the US.

Remember kids: always verify the safety of your data before looking for patterns and conclusions.

Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

Why not read some stories instead

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
CleverFox
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2013 11:16:58 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 1/25/2012
Posts: 484
Location: United States
overmykneenow wrote:
I'd be very wary of that league table: has it been published or is it simply adding up the number of entries on the
List of serial killers by country wiki page?

A problem arises in that mulitple murderers in English speaking countries appear to be more readily reported as serial killings. If you look on that list, most countries only list serial killers with a body count of over half a dozen people - the list for England and the US has numerous entries for people who have killed three people - many of them barely fulfil the criteria of what most people would describe as a serial killler.

I'd say that list isn't anywhere near exhaustive and maybe a little puffed-up for England and the US.

Remember kids: always verify the safety of your data before looking for patterns and conclusions.


Please read my earlier post. In fact it is probably a good idea to read all previous posts before before making a needless warning that makes you sound like a puffed-up arrogant tit.
Metilda
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2013 11:17:29 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 3/10/2013
Posts: 1,293
Location: United States
elitfromnorth wrote:
Western and more developed countries do celebrate individual achievement a lot more than non-developed countries where social bonds are tighter. In a more tight knit community the groups are more likely to pick up, help and carry what we today call what would in the western world be called "failures". As they don't have a government that's capable of picking up the homeless in the same manner as we do, the "failures" of society does a big portion of the work by either giving food or shelter or helping them in one way or another(unless they have been shunned completely from the village for different reasons).

How many here can say that they've activly helped someone who is unable to work and maybe homeless in one way or another? Doubt it's many, other than the occasional coin in the cup. We don't consider the "failures" our responsibility unless they're really close family, and not even then is it guaranteed that the family will take care of them.

We are indeed more likely to let resourceful people feel like failures, either financially or socially, and especially the latter one, where we stay away from the "awkward" people, they in return isolate themselves more, and before you know it they snap.

But of course, that's not the answer, but just a piece of the puzzle.


So where do serial killers fit in? They're the underachievers that - in another country - would be carried? Or that serial killers act out because they were isolated.

The average serial killer in the US fits neither of those categories (rejects or underachievers) per the behavior of society itself toward that individual. Though the individual might perceive things otherwise.

Among men the main motive is sexual gratification
Among women the main motive is financial gain.

McCready wrote a very thorough thesis on the topic of serial killers - fact vs fiction. http://digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc3228/m2/1/high_res_d/thesis.pdf



overmykneenow
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2013 12:09:41 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 6/8/2010
Posts: 1,301
Location: United Kingdom
CleverFox wrote:


Please read my earlier post. In fact it is probably a good idea to read all previous posts before before making a needles warning that makes you sound like a puffed-up arrogant tit.


The difference between my post and your post is that I made an analysis of how the list was compiled, whereas you came up with a theory seemingly based on a mixture of guesswork and political opinion.

That warning appears on all my forum posts now in the vain attempt to prevent butt-hurt affecting idiots who take whatever I say seriously. Maybe I should just start handing out inflatable rubber rings instead.

Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

Why not read some stories instead

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
Magical_felix
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2013 12:19:20 PM

Rank: Wild at Heart

Joined: 4/3/2010
Posts: 6,392
Location: California
SITTING wrote:


I've never thought of it like this before that but now you've said it, it makes so much sense.


What I said may be a valid theory as to why the california serial killer does what he does but I think the others may be right. It's not really that there are more serial killers in these countries, these countries are just better at catching and reporting them.



CleverFox
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2013 3:08:13 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 1/25/2012
Posts: 484
Location: United States
Magical_felix wrote:


What I said may be a valid theory as to why the california serial killer does what he does but I think the others may be right. It's not really that there are more serial killers in these countries, these countries are just better at catching and reporting them.


Why thank you Felix.
CleverFox
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2013 3:09:45 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 1/25/2012
Posts: 484
Location: United States
overmykneenow wrote:


The difference between my post and your post is that I made an analysis of how the list was compiled, whereas you came up with a theory seemingly based on a mixture of guesswork and political opinion.

That warning appears on all my forum posts now in the vain attempt to prevent butt-hurt affecting idiots who take whatever I say seriously. Maybe I should just start handing out inflatable rubber rings instead.


You mean your earlier post was not meant to be taken seriously? Ok, HA HA HA HA HA!

Looking at your earlier post, you have just as much guess work and speculation as I do. I was taking about your "Remember kids" comment.

Why should I be butt hurt because you basically repeated what I said and made yourself look like a puffed-up pompous tit with the last condescending comment you made?
latinfoxy
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2013 3:26:32 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 4/5/2011
Posts: 818
Location: Here
Dancing_Doll wrote:
These are developed countries (with decent sized populations) where when people go missing, it's actually noticed and reported. From there, patterns of killings can be analyzed and detected and it's easier to solve the puzzle and attribute a bunch of killings to one person.

In many other highly populated, third world countries, it's a lot easier to go undetected. People go missing all the time and nobody breaks a sweat over it. There's probably plenty of serial killers at work, but it's easier to fly under the radar, especially with corrupt justice systems and lack of media to create awareness and fear among the public.

Within a developed country you can see this same phenomenon at work when a serial killer targets prostitutes, drug addicts and fringe members of society as his victims. Usually the guy has to kill at least 25+ of them before the police and public start to notice or even care. On the other hand, if a serial killer has a penchant for pretty middle-class college girls, he's going to get noticed a whole lot faster.


You are so right!! i know Venezuela is not a good example since we are one of the most dangerous countries in the world, but here we have so many murders daily that the police doesnt even really bother to figure out, who, when and where it happened anymore. Unless you are caught while killing someone, you will probably walk out of it with no consecuences. But if you are famous or your family has money, thats when something will be done about your death.

I can only remember ever hearing about 2 serial killers here, 1 was a very famous psychiatrist that started to kill his pacients making it look as a suicide. And "El come gente" (the people eater) and he was just completely insane and he didnt even make an effort in to hidding bodies and neighbours complain about the smell. Neither of them where caught because of a police investigation, but because of a private investigator in the case of the psychiatrist and because of the neighbours in the case of the crazy guy.

So yeah we probably have way more of them, but they just go under the radar because we already get more deaths than a country in war.
Kitanica
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2013 1:20:41 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 4/16/2011
Posts: 882
Location: The Sprawl, United States
Pedro lopez was released after serving 3 years for 110 victims and confessed to over 200-300.
Interpol has an arrest warrant believing he's killed again (big surprise)

South America doesn't have the same media coverage we do, so it's easy for them to sweep blundering failures under the rug thus we never hear about them.
Guest
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2013 5:21:02 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 701,055
Small minds will look for big dividends. And, our system protects them.
Users browsing this topic
Guest 


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS

Powered by Yet Another Forum.net version 1.9.1.6 (NET v4.0) - 11/14/2007
Copyright © 2003-2006 Yet Another Forum.net. All rights reserved.