Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Tips for dealing with a rejected story. Options · View
AdrianCf
Posted: Monday, June 17, 2013 4:36:23 AM

I took my first reaction with a smile.

When I read some comments the reason for rejecting my story wasn't that bad.
Some dialogue things, quotation marks etc.etc.etc.

It's strange for me to write in English.
I am not a native speaker and struggle with the grammar rules which are much different.

The comma for instance dontknow
In my language we are, for a big part, free to use it.
We are taught to use it whenever we feel a sentence might get to long or to hard to understand.

I write my stories in WORD and use spell/grammar check, but I guess M.S. didn't got an A+ in grammar as well crybaby

The Mansion

Prologue

01 - Brianna and Frank

02 - Brianna and Frank

03 - Tom and Mary

04 - Tom and Mary

Summer Time

Cynthia

Gina and Sean
Posted: Monday, June 17, 2013 5:38:35 AM

Word is alright for spelling, but it doesn't always pick up grammatical errors. For example: I was touching her waste with my tapped fingers.

If you were trying to write : I was touching her waist with my tapered fingers. Word isn't going to pick up anything wrong with that sentence, technically the spelling is correct, but the message isn't. That's why we always encourage people to read the links provided and proofread.

Posted: Friday, October 04, 2013 7:01:42 PM

Embarassed This is a nice thread. My first story submission here in Lush got rejected thrice due to voice and tense issues but I wasn't MAD. It actually made me smile because I cannot seem to fix the story on my end...lmao! I was provided with several helpful links. Being new I'm shy to ask the mods. But I simply refused to quit because I'm such a stubborn lass. The experience motivated me to spend hours upon hours on the writer's resources forum. Studied the links provided by the mods to improve grammar, verb tense, voice of story etc. I scraped my first story altogether and came up with a better one. This time paying close attention to what I'm writing and making sure to read it aloud to myself, proofread and self-edit the story. :)
sprite
Posted: Friday, October 04, 2013 7:05:49 PM

sweetreminisce wrote:
This is a nice thread. My first story submission here in Lush got rejected thrice due to voice and tense issues but I wasn't MAD. It actually made me smile because I cannot seem to fix the story on my end...lmao! I was provided with several helpful links. Being new I'm shy to ask the mods. But I simply refused to quit because I'm such a stubborn lass. The experience motivated me to spend hours upon hours on the writer's resources forum. Studied the links provided by the mods to improve grammar, verb tense, voice of story etc. I scraped my first story altogether and came up with a better one. This time paying close attention to what I'm writing and making sure to read it aloud to myself, proofread and self-edit the story. :)

AND i see you got an RR on it. ok, i think i need to book mark that one and read it over the weekend. congratulations and wow, i'm impressed. :)

Live, love, laugh.
ravenpearl
Posted: Friday, October 04, 2013 7:33:46 PM

i didn't know nothing bout nothing when i sent my first poem in. it got rejected so i backed up regrouped and studied...i reread everything i send in...and i am very careful when submitting something.
adagio_sabadicus
Posted: Friday, October 04, 2013 7:48:24 PM

I play with words and many times rejected. Words can mean many things to different people...often I get frustrated but just back up and breathe. Some times I see my errors and other times I don't. It helps to have someone assist you...then when you get it published, it's worth the while.My 2 cents blah5 blah5 blah5
Posted: Saturday, October 05, 2013 2:50:08 AM

sprite wrote:

AND i see you got an RR on it. ok, i think i need to book mark that one and read it over the weekend. congratulations and wow, i'm impressed. :)

Embarassed Thank you I am deeply honored.
Jonathans_Fantasies
Posted: Saturday, October 05, 2013 6:54:01 AM

I'm with sprite on this. We writers have to remember that the mods are volunteers trying to help us become better writers. It doesn't do anyone any good if we get pissy and blow up at them, because they reject a story.

I know I have had a couple stories that needed multiple edits (sorry about that too by the way). But in the end the mods worked with Me and helped Me fix the story. I have had a couple that because of content couldn't be put on Lush and I understand that too - Lush has it's rules and they are plainly put out there.

Just try to take the constructive criticism as such and learn from it. Then your next story will go through easier.

Banner below is a clickable link!
MonicaVon
Posted: Saturday, October 05, 2013 8:54:47 AM

I was really appreciative when principessa rejected my first story because I wouldn't have wanted it to go through in the condition that it was in. It wasn't horrible, but I made some minor punctuation errors and misspelled a word. She provided me with some really helpful links and pointed out what I missed. I felt a lot more comfortable writing my second one.

Dirty_D
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2014 8:22:58 AM

bumping for some newer members
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2014 5:01:34 PM

Hey, all you guys before me are right on the money! Plus rejection in one form or another helps us grow whether it be in writing or life. thumbright
LASARDaddy
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2014 8:57:02 PM

Guest wrote:

When you make edits, a verifier can see what was fixed and what wasn't. It's highlighed so that we don't have to re-read an entire story and basically double-verify it. This is one of my stories that I edited using the Lush edit box:

That makes the verifier's job easier and it takes less time for the story to be re-read, meaning less time you have to wait before your story is verified.

But when you copy it from a different processer:

The second one is fine if it's a large amount of edits and it's easier to do it in word, but if it's just one or two typos, it's easier on everyone if it's fixed in the original (on Lush) file. I know it can sometimes be a hassle editing in the edit box, but for small typos, we prefer if you do it that way.

Okay, what software and where can I get it. If I run what you do then copy your markup all the edit marks will go with it then when I copy it back it's all there. Editing in that box is okay if it's a few things. If it's paragraphs, like your second example, that takes a lot of time.

I am always a gentleman.
Katje
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2014 2:14:36 AM

LASARDaddy wrote:

Okay, what software and where can I get it. If I run what you do then copy your markup all the edit marks will go with it then when I copy it back it's all there. Editing in that box is okay if it's a few things. If it's paragraphs, like your second example, that takes a lot of time.

The first image was a screenshot of how we (mods) see stories that have been edited in the submission box. The second example with the big blocks of highlighted text is what happens when a story is removed from the submission box, and added back in its entirety then submitted again.

It makes our job so much easier to do if you perform your edits in the box, rather than pasting it from an outside program.

As for checking your own editions, or for editing for others, I use an online program: http://www.diffchecker.com/diff ... This is handy for when writers remove the stories and paste the entire thing again. It shows the differences in another box, side-by-side so that they're all obvious. Complete with highlights.

(Simply click on any of the images to view my stories!)
LASARDaddy
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2014 1:33:44 PM

Thank you very much. I will look at that and use it. I want you guys lives to be easier, then you have more time to tell me where I screwed it up.

I do appreciate all the effort. No, I never get angry at rejections. It's just part of the learning curve. Besides, if you never screw it up then your not doing anything.

I am always a gentleman.
LASARDaddy
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2014 7:44:30 PM

That does not work with IPad. I did find this though http://text-compare.com and it does work with them. Cut and paste work differently between IBM and IOS.

Played with it and got some good results.

Just info for anyone else who needs it.

I am always a gentleman.