Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Poll Question : Do you shave with a cut throat razor?
Choice Votes Statistics
Yes - It is my razor of choice 1 8 %
No - Never tried it 9 75 %
I have tried it but don't use one everyday 2 16 %

Gentlemen - Do you shave with a cut throat razor? Options · View
Liz
Posted: Thursday, August 01, 2013 8:16:35 AM

Gentlemen - Do you shave with a cut throat razor?

If you're a straight razor guy, tell us why:

- Does it give a better shave?
- Does it reduced the cost of shaving?
- Is it because it's more environmentally friendly?
- Do you find it meditative?
- Does it make you feel like a bad ass?
glasses8

Share your shaving habits:

- How do you prep your face?
- What products do you use?
- What are your favourite brands?
- Have you ever let a woman shave you?

MadMartigan
Posted: Thursday, August 01, 2013 8:36:32 AM

Fraid I don't trust myself with sharp utensils around the throat area. I've seen how that plays out. confused1

I have gotten old school neck shaves with a blade though. Not since I was a kid and frequented an ole timey barber though.
1lush
Posted: Thursday, August 01, 2013 9:11:16 AM

Have never had a straight razor shave although it is something I've always wanted. Its hard to find a barber with all the unisex hair salons. Guess my habit of shaving in the shower will be the norm for me.
Posted: Thursday, August 01, 2013 11:18:14 AM

I have never had a straight blade razor shave before. Though i would love to have one.
I actually havent used a razor on my face in years, i mostly use my electric and i keep a nice stubble or grow it out to a beard. (depending on my mood)
I used to have to shave everyday for work a few years ago, because i grew a nice 5oclock shadow by morning.
Lets just say using a razor blade almost everyday leaves you with razor burns after a while.
So i enjoy letting my facial hair grow out now, and my wife loves when i grow my beard. :)

As for would i let a woman shave me? Why not, they should be just as skilled with a razor.
Posted: Thursday, August 01, 2013 11:41:19 AM

No, a safety razor, but I do use a badger hair brush and shaving mug soap. Pinaud Clubman products. I prep with a hot moist towel, lather up the brush, then my face, shave both upward and down. Rinse with cold water, then after shave.

Posted: Thursday, August 01, 2013 11:55:29 AM

The last time I had a cut throat razor shave was when I was in the military. I use an electric razor now and it does the job perfectly.
StylisX
Posted: Thursday, August 01, 2013 12:00:35 PM

Ive got a straight razor and safety razor, I tend to use the safety razor most of the time, but on occassion when the straight razor has been well prepared I do use it.

If you're a straight razor guy, tell us why: (im going to answer for the safety razor too)

- Does it give a better shave? Yes mainly due to much longer shaving time
- Does it reduced the cost of shaving? Drastically
- Is it because it's more environmentally friendly? Never thought of it that way
- Do you find it meditative? Oddly enough yes
- Does it make you feel like a bad ass? Only when a friend uses my bathroom and points it out.

Share your shaving habits:

- How do you prep your face? Normally a hot shower or hot wet towel
- What products do you use? Palmolive shaving paste, feather blades (japanese brand, are insanely sharp!)
- What are your favourite brands? No preferance
- Have you ever let a woman shave you? Yes I have, she did a good enough job, but still have to go over again with a clean pass.
psychiee
Posted: Thursday, August 01, 2013 1:33:01 PM

happy1 The simple Answer has to be NO.. I however do shave... less frequently so... because i work part time now... and use the new fangled triple blade razor, Gillete... with all the modcons.. Alloe vera, mosturising strip on top etc... .. gives me a cloze shave and the beard trimmer keeps the gotee beard in control.
Pretty simple... use hot water and just fingers to rub in the shaving cream/soap
My 2 cents
Posted: Thursday, August 01, 2013 1:45:00 PM

Ive never tried it, I would though. It seems a little bit more time consuming, and since I have to shave every day for work, I usually prefer the quickest means
SereneProdigy
Posted: Thursday, August 01, 2013 1:52:42 PM

yourmisterdark wrote:
No, a safety razor, but I do use a badger hair brush and shaving mug soap. Pinaud Clubman products. I prep with a hot moist towel, lather up the brush, then my face, shave both upward and down. Rinse with cold water, then after shave.

I came in to mention this. Although I don't use one myself, men shaving old-style today are much more inclined to use a safety razor. There's a back-to-basics trend that's going on about it since a few years.

SventheElder
Posted: Thursday, August 01, 2013 1:57:46 PM

LOL - Nope! Even though my avatar is a fictitious picture I do have a Beard in RL. The last time I shaved was about 45 years ago!!
Posted: Thursday, August 01, 2013 2:21:52 PM

Like some have mentioned here, I don't because I don't trust myself enough. I do, however use a safety razor. I find that's the only thing that gives me a good enough shave with no irritation - those disposable things are horrible! I've tried shaving both upwards and downwards, but my face is pretty sensitive and doesn't like it. I just bought a new safety razor a few weeks ago and was very excited to get it. It does a really good job, but I'm still experimenting, trying to get the right blades and soap combo. So far I really enjoy Merkur blades, but still haven't found the right shaving soap. I'm one of those annoying folk who likes to get reviews and do a shitload of research before committing to anything, especially shaving. Don't want my handsome face getting all cut to ribbons, now, do we?
DLizze
Posted: Thursday, August 01, 2013 11:02:51 PM

yourmisterdark wrote:

OMG! I have a blunderbuss packed away somewhere - I've been using a ladies' many-bladed Soliel for years - like ever since one day when I was out of blades, and borrowed my wife's (with a new blade, thank you very much! LOL) and discovered it cut closer with less going over areas two and three times, than my old Gillette adjustable "safety" razor. I also alternate with a Norelco three head electric. (Here, again, a modernization of my old standby - a mid-1950's Remington - the kind that you had to spin the wheel with your thumbnail to get it started, and turned off by pulling the plug out of it). I use Crabtree and Evelyn Sandalwood flavor mug soap and a good badger hair brush.

I use straight razors for their best modern uses - trimming and shaving woodwind reeds, finish scraping on replacement wheels and pinons for clocks with wooden works, and occasionally for finely chopping herbs in the kitchen.

"There's only three tempos: slow, medium and fast. When you get between in the cracks, ain't nuthin' happenin'." Ben Webster
Icarus32
Posted: Friday, August 02, 2013 12:25:15 AM

I would love to, however I have yet to discover a place to purchase one, or the supplies needed to go with it. Though I suppose the internet is always your friend when you want to find something.

Honestly though, what sort of stores carry them? I've been casually keeping an eye out for quite some time to no avail, and seeing as my current razor is starting to wear out I think it's time to re-invigorate the search.
Posted: Friday, August 02, 2013 12:39:43 AM

Quenton2123 wrote:
I would love to, however I have yet to discover a place to purchase one, or the supplies needed to go with it. Though I suppose the internet is always your friend when you want to find something.

Honestly though, what sort of stores carry them? I've been casually keeping an eye out for quite some time to no avail, and seeing as my current razor is starting to wear out I think it's time to re-invigorate the search.

Amazon has all you need and plenty of choices of styles, prices, etc.
Posted: Friday, August 02, 2013 12:42:51 AM

DLizze wrote:

OMG! I have a blunderbuss packed away somewhere - I've been using a ladies' many-bladed Soliel for years - like ever since one day when I was out of blades, and borrowed my wife's (with a new blade, thank you very much! LOL) and discovered it cut closer with less going over areas two and three times, than my old Gillette adjustable "safety" razor. I also alternate with a Norelco three head electric. (Here, again, a modernization of my old standby - a mid-1950's Remington - the kind that you had to spin the wheel with your thumbnail to get it started, and turned off by pulling the plug out of it). I use Crabtree and Evelyn Sandalwood flavor mug soap and a good badger hair brush.

I use straight razors for their best modern uses - trimming and shaving woodwind reeds, finish scraping on replacement wheels and pinons for clocks with wooden works, and occasionally for finely chopping herbs in the kitchen.

I've never gotten a close shave with any electric and have tried several. I have fairly tough whiskers. The modern multi-blades don't do it for me either. I don't mind taking the extra time for "old time" grooming. It's relaxing.
Magical_felix
Posted: Friday, August 02, 2013 1:40:49 AM

yourmisterdark wrote:

Amazon has all you need and plenty of choices of styles, prices, etc.

Actually... A store called the Art of Shaving would be a better place for someone to start out if they want to go this route. I'm sure there is some kind of store locator on the Internet. The Art of Shaving.

I have thick even hair on my face. Like a fucking lumberjack so I use a beard trimmer to keep a 5 o'clock shadow all the time. Electric shavers are useless and using a razor leaves my face too clean and babyish. Sometimes, just sometimes I'll let it grow out a bit in the winter but get bored fast and cut it all off again. Usually depends on what hairstyle I have. I change that a lot too. I'm blessed with fast growing, thick black hair.

I have never let a woman shave me. I would never tempt any girl that knows me in this way... I would probably deserve her "slipping up".

AngelHeart01
Posted: Friday, August 02, 2013 10:41:39 PM

Magical_Felix:

"I have never let a woman shave me. I would never tempt any girl that knows me in this way... I would probably deserve her "slipping up"."
bs bs

Don't lie .... You would let me angel7
Buz
Posted: Sunday, August 04, 2013 8:18:42 PM

No. I start with an electric and then finish with a safety triple blade.

Magical_felix
Posted: Sunday, August 04, 2013 11:41:27 PM

AngelHeart01 wrote:
Magical_Felix:

"I have never let a woman shave me. I would never tempt any girl that knows me in this way... I would probably deserve her "slipping up"."
bs bs

Don't lie .... You would let me angel7

I suppose. If I felt it was my time to go.

Posted: Tuesday, August 06, 2013 5:35:30 PM

I have someone I go to for the hot towels, brush and cup soap, and straight razor if it is important enough, or when I want to treat myself. I love it, and I love the feeling after.
Also, when I want to trim the back of my neck fuzz that is at the bottom of most men's hair "line," which often needs a close cut, a sharp new razor is good for that most times. However , there is nothing like the straight edge blade there too.
Now for everyday shaving, I start with an electric but it never gets close enough for a "smooth" shave but leaves a slight stubble or shadow. I leave it like that a couple of days a week to keep that "male stubble" look. I may be crazy but it seems I get more interest form women when I go out that way.
But to get it real close I have a whole kit of straight razors to get it close without scraping my skin and leave blood. lol I do sure a brush and soap cup/bowl be very day I use a razor. To me, it is a guy thing. Hot towels are great whenever there is time. It is great for the skin, and believe it or not, the eye follicles. It feels so good when you lift the towel off and really gives me a lift.
As for my mustache, that is a whole kit of stuff on its own.
I know this sounds vain but honestly it is one of the only things us men can do that is easily visible beside a good clean scrub that ladies are going to see and smell, and feel in their first impressions. I do, after all, want to get to know "her." Grooming can be fun.
1nfinitesexuallity
Posted: Wednesday, August 07, 2013 12:26:23 PM

I personally own a couple razors (I'm a Barber) and yes I do shave with them they are easy to maintain, and in my opinion the shave lasts a lot longer than a regular razor plus its really a very useful skill to have imagine walking to a locker room with one of those.. :) a lot of questions will be asked
WellMadeMale
Posted: Wednesday, August 07, 2013 11:15:16 PM

Hell to the no.

Some things might be cool to use like they were made 150 years ago. A straight razor is not one of those things.

Most intelligent people are introspective and doubt themselves while many fucktards are proudly over-confident. - a tip of the hat to Charles Bukowski
Posted: Thursday, August 08, 2013 12:15:15 AM

I goto an Iranian Barber. He is old School. Amazing Shave. Would never dream of doing it myself, too shaky, would be a one way trip to emergency room :)