Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

How did people handle you writing erotica? Options · View
Metilda
Posted: Tuesday, August 6, 2013 12:10:24 PM

[I'm sure someone already asked but I couldn't find a post via search - search engine not responding]

When you told your significant other (or they found out) - how'd they handle it? Or - do they not know yet? (Why not)

I was nervous to show my husband the first time, I was a bit scared of how he'd respond - pissed or hurt, whatever. To my shock - his response wasn't even PG. He said "I've had my cock in your ass and you think I care what you write?" evil4 The moment he said it I realized "of course he'd think that way - that's right up his alley." . . . and that's always what he goes to when I'm afraid of how he might respond to anything I do, actually.
Posted: Tuesday, August 6, 2013 1:28:05 PM

My bf's response was a dichotomy of itself. First he was curious to read, then he was pissed as all hell when he read his name, guess I shoulda changed the names to protect the guilty, then he calmed down and enjoyed the read. He knows I write so he wasn't at all surprised but he just didn't like seeing his name in lights I guess. In the end he got laid so...lol.
sprite
Posted: Tuesday, August 6, 2013 1:30:47 PM

most of my work isn't published until my wife has read it, so yeah, she totally knows, she enjoys it - we usually read it together and playtime is often a part of those sessions - she also has given me advice before during the writing, or afterwards, and has been responsible for changes in the story line from time to time.

Love not hate.
Lisa
Posted: Tuesday, August 6, 2013 2:12:16 PM

I used to ask my husband to read my stories before I posted them because I wasn't all that confident in my writing, so he's known from the start that I write erotica. Sometimes he helps when I'm struggling with a storyline or if I need advice on topics that he knows more about than me. I was nervous when I first asked him to read my stories but it was more of a "what if he thinks it's crap writing" worry than being concerned about the content.
RavenStar
Posted: Tuesday, August 6, 2013 2:50:49 PM

So, my husband isn't comfortable reading erotica. I can respect that, even if it does deprive me of one of the best editors I know. He's alright with me writing it, he just gets all embarrassed reading it. It's kinda cute, really. I've tried to have a discussion with him about why pictures of sex and videos of sex aren't as embarrassing for him, and he states (with a straight face) that no one's going to jack off to erotica.

Say *what*??!?! <face palm>

His hangups aside, he supports my writing of just about anything, and he's willing to edit the non-sexy parts. :P

Nobody else knows about the erotica part, and that kinda scares me a bit.

Posted: Tuesday, August 6, 2013 2:51:23 PM

Currently I'm single but my last long term partner (and she too was a writer) would read my stuff and seemed to get it... (Once she cried at something I'd written that had elements of our first encounter within it...) I was rather touched by that.

The Incest stuff I don't share, (indeed I don't write in that genre any more) because that can be hard to explain to those who don't understand that we are basically fantasists...

Some of my girlfriends have read some of the stuff and they seem to get it.

Only one of my male friends has seen what I write here. He too is a writer although thus far he's never written erotica to my knowledge. He commented upon the stories as literature.

(Another close male friend refuses point-blank to read or even discuss anything I do here. His attitude is that I'm a sad pervert for even deigning to write erotica. That said, he remains a close friend and I love him, but I respect his view although obviously I don't agree.)

Interesting question.

xx SF
Adagio
Posted: Tuesday, August 6, 2013 3:35:56 PM

Only a select few are ever able to lay eyes on many of my writings
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2013 3:22:13 PM

It's a mixed bag really; most people in my life are supportive than I have those people who don't see erotica as art, but just smut.
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2013 6:43:49 PM

No one, other than here know of my erotic writings. I'd like to keep it that way. However, as for my horror stories I write and the dark poetry those are published under a pseudonym.
Jayne33
Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2013 4:08:23 AM

Raven_Star wrote:
So, my husband isn't comfortable reading erotica. I can respect that, even if it does deprive me of one of the best editors I know. He's alright with me writing it, he just gets all embarrassed reading it. It's kinda cute, really. I've tried to have a discussion with him about why pictures of sex and videos of sex aren't as embarrassing for him, and he states (with a straight face) that no one's going to jack off to erotica.

I can relate to this. My Other-half is the same. He get's shy and embarrassed around the topic of sex. I'm the sort of person that can talk to anyone about anything if they feel comfortable and relaxed, but if they feel uncomfortable, it makes me the same way.

I wanted to find a way to communicate with him, so started writing him naughty letters. I didn't get any verbal response to them, but things started to change in the bedroom.

It was writing these naughty letters that I discovered I loved writing. I started writing stories for my oh, and posted them on lush.

The funny thing is; I may have started writing them for him, but he hasn't read any past the first story. He's not a big reader.

He knows I write and moderate for Lush, and he supports me in it, asking how the scores are going. I think sometime he thinks that I spend too much time writing, but as it benefits our relationship, he can't say too much.

Sadie's Confession By Jaymal & Jayne33
SecretLush
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2013 10:44:34 AM

An interesting question, for sure... nobody (yet) knows of me writing on lush. I have told my bf that I have a sexy secret, and it drives him crazy trying to figure out what it is (I do plan to tell him). Even when I tell him, I do not think I will tell him what site or alias I use. I like the fact that my writing is my own. I don't mind that he know I write erotica, but this is literally the ONLY thing that is only mine, and I kind of like that.
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2013 11:53:44 AM

None of my family or friends know I'm writing erotica - I think most would look at me funny and the wife would wonder about some things.
Mazza
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2013 12:18:17 PM

I've had generally positive responses to what I've written so far. I've shared with a few friends, my husband and I've even let a few family members read some of my more 'vanilla' stuff, poems and so forth.

Although the feedback has been encouraging, I do think they would prefer that I stretched myself a little and wrote more challenging stories which weren't founded in the erotic, which is a fair point. I really ought to give that a go too. It's always good to push your boundaries, whatever they may be.

Nothing to see here...
Poppet
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2013 12:38:40 PM

The last guy I was with knew I wrote erotica, but I didn’t share it with anyone but him. Since then I’ve only been with someone from this site, so clearly they knew I wrote. They’ve supported me, and pushed me to do better.

I’m sure if I were to meet someone (who isn’t from this site) that I’d more than likely tell them that I write for it. I haven’t told anyone that I write for Lush though. A few people do know I write, but they don’t know its erotica.

Wilful
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2013 5:09:30 PM

Nobody knows that I write here, other than you fine people of course.

I do plan to tell my wife, once I've got a more diverse collection of work posted. She is open-minded, and I'm pretty confident she'll be okay with it, but I think a few incest fantasies on their own is a bit much to explain for now.

Please take a look at my latest story, Banging for Roof.

And for a sexy little rush of Adrenalin, pick yourself up a copy of the Lush Summer anthology.
Forbiddenwriter
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2013 7:02:26 PM

My girlfriend was all for it. Of course she knew it was something I did a lot before we started dating. She was one of my regular readers. But I had a very limited list of readers, and hoping to get a lot more here.

AbigailThornton
Posted: Friday, August 23, 2013 2:56:00 PM

My closest friends know what I write and have read it. Apart from that only my boyfriend knows. That was a tricky one!! He went all weird for a few days when I told him. It was the fact that I'd had such an enormous secret more than anything else that unsettled him. He recovered and is very supportive and proud now, although he chooses not to read any of the naughty stuff I write.

Katje
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 1:36:29 AM

Actually, I have several friends that know that I write erotica, and where one just doesn't understand how someone could get off to words alone, he also knows I'm a great writer, and is very encouraging of my endeavor.

Other friends, including the man I'm currently involved with, is fully aware of my writing, and his encouragement is a huge boon. He's even helped me with one of my longer stories, that I hope to one day get put up on here, if it's ever even finished.

So far, the only people involved in my "real life" that aren't aware of what I write are my roommate, family and small handful of friends at the pub. Otherwise, all of my other friends know, and are super supportive.

"Good writing is supposed to evoke sensation in the reader - not the fact that it is raining, but the feeling of being rained upon." -E.L. Doctorow