Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

I have a dream... Options · View
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2013 9:52:46 PM

1ball wrote:

I agree. You try to use government to impose your will on others. King's dream included having people judged not by the color of the their skin, but by the content of their character. Your character is coercive. You call rich people arrogant because they won't let you tell them how to invest their wealth. You try to use government to coerce sacrifice from them. Yes, it would be nice to see live and let live in action.

The words you spew are nothing more than textbook scrambled eggs. Take a look back 1 Ball. You never participated in this thread with a dream until the bottom of page two. You jumped on this thread and down my throat with your isms and antics and then call me the queen of talking down. This is someones else's thread and I'm done getting sucked into jacking the thread to defend anything or anyone from you! Find some maturity and respect and realize the dream instead of professing all this text book scrambled mumbo jumbo. Save your insults for your own threads...and get outta my dream!
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2013 9:54:03 PM

Monocle wrote:
No. We have a long way to go yet.

Word.
MadMartigan
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2013 8:28:31 AM

Having taken a year off sort of for a volunteer corps in Atlanta, the home of MLK, I can tell you with certainty...

His dream is nowhere near being fully realized.

Oh sure, parts of it are. The younger populations (depending on locations of course, the deep south can get...yea) don't so much care about skin color anymore.

However, walk around a big city like Atlanta. Poverty anywhere and everywhere. What population accounts for a majority of it that I have seen? The black population. Now, homelessness has several root causes including shame, pride, education, lack of empathy and compassion, and yea...In GA, probably subvert and hidden racism that still exists.

That's simply the way the US built its economy for one. The way our capitalist economy works is that it requires a deeply poor population in order to operate. Money can make you just as much of a slave as shackles can. It presents an interesting debate.

Quote:
The removal of systemic barriers to equality of opportunity is what King wanted and that has largely been accomplished.

Sad to say, but you really don't or didn't understand what King was about. And if you are so ignorant to believe that systematic societal barriers have largely been defeated, you are grossly incorrect. You are also grossly incorrect in thinking equality of opportunity is the ONLY THING King wanted.

My dream is one in which everyone has access to the necessities to keep them healthy, strong, and happy. That we become a nation, or better yet, a world, that puts more stock into progressive change and betterment not to make a quick buck, but to improve the world as a whole. That we rid ourselves of our dependency on harmful energy practices and invest more fully in other means.

Probably the biggest would be for politicians as a whole to stop being two-faced, phony-assed, self-centered egomaniacs who like catering to small group of disgusted lobbyists and the nasty people they generally represent.
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2013 8:37:56 AM

MadMartigan wrote:
Having taken a year off sort of for a volunteer corps in Atlanta, the home of MLK, I can tell you with certainty...

His dream is nowhere near being fully realized.

Oh sure, parts of it are. The younger populations (depending on locations of course, the deep south can get...yea) don't so much care about skin color anymore.

However, walk around a big city like Atlanta. Poverty anywhere and everywhere. What population accounts for a majority of it that I have seen? The black population. Now, homelessness has several root causes including shame, pride, education, lack of empathy and compassion, and yea...In GA, probably subvert and hidden racism that still exists.

That's simply the way the US built its economy for one. The way our capitalist economy works is that it requires a deeply poor population in order to operate. Money can make you just as much of a slave as shackles can. It presents an interesting debate.

Sad to say, but you really don't or didn't understand what King was about. And if you are so ignorant to believe that systematic societal barriers have largely been defeated, you are grossly incorrect. You are also grossly incorrect in thinking equality of opportunity is the ONLY THING King wanted.

My dream is one in which everyone has access to the necessities to keep them healthy, strong, and happy. That we become a nation, or better yet, a world, that puts more stock into progressive change and betterment not to make a quick buck, but to improve the world as a whole. That we rid ourselves of our dependency on harmful energy practices and invest more fully in other means.

Probably the biggest would be for politicians as a whole to stop being two-faced, phony-assed, self-centered egomaniacs who like catering to small group of disgusted lobbyists and the nasty people they generally represent.

Spoken like a man with some knowledge and insight of MLK was all about. Anyone who thinks the dream has come even close to being realized doesn't understand the dream whatsoever. Dream on!
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2013 11:00:07 AM

I dream for peace in the world. Sorry to say that isn't going to happen.
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2013 11:00:27 AM

Oh well, here it goes.

We actually have taken a step. My ex and I are continuously aware of fault lines. We have her in public school, instead of private so that she does see all things, colors, and styles. Both of us come from varying degrees of prejudiced upbringings. Neither of us can stand that. At least one of our things in common. To tout an actual win is ridiculous and lazy, but to hope and work for further understanding of ourselves and others is what it's all about.

An idealistic progression, yes but, we take that chance despite our differences. Not to her cost, but to her gain. It is a first step, which many are aware of, have taken, and still proceed with. To dismiss that realization is dismissive.

I have a Dream

"I have a dream that one day in Alabama little black boys and black girls will one day be able to join hands with little white boys and white girls as sisters and brothers." MLK

She does, and hopefully, it's a first step. Martin is her brother as she has professed, his parents are awesome people of Bahamian and African American decent. So yes, one day it will not be a dream and one day we won't have to make the distinction.

1ball
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2013 2:59:56 PM

Monocle wrote:

No. We have a long way to go yet.

What systemic barriers remain?

My latest story is too hot to publish. My most recent story before that is Even Stranger In Lust
Monocle
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2013 3:44:06 PM

1ball wrote:

To not recognize that systematic barriers based on race, and institutional racism still exist in this country is to be willfully ignorant.
MadMartigan gave some good examples. The voter ID laws that rose in the wake of the supreme court decisions on the VRA are others.
1ball
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2013 4:09:42 PM

Monocle wrote:

To not recognize that systematic barriers based on race, and institutional racism still exist in this country is to be willfully ignorant.
MadMartigan gave some good examples. The voter ID laws that rose in the wake of the supreme court decisions on the VRA are others.

MadMartigan didn't give any examples of systemic barriers. So far, neither have you. You've alleged the existence of systemic barriers, but not produced any. So I ask again. What systemic barriers remain?

My latest story is too hot to publish. My most recent story before that is Even Stranger In Lust
Magical_felix
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2013 4:27:41 PM

Ruthie wrote:
Don't make this about me, Jack. It's obviously about you. Once again you have twisted my words to fit your own idea of what you think I said. Nowhere did I say a word about undocumented workers.

Everyone was talking about undocumented workers including the person you quoted who had quoted someone speaking to me about undocumented workers. Once again you have failed to take your own advice about improving reading comprehension skills. I notice you have ignored all questions asked of you to focus on semantics. A tactic taken when a person has no answers.

Your stupidity is impressive.

Monocle
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2013 4:36:40 PM

1ball wrote:

MadMartigan didn't give any examples of systemic barriers. So far, neither have you. You've alleged the existence of systemic barriers, but not produced any. So I ask again. What systemic barriers remain?

It won't matter what I say. They will ever remain invisible to you, so to you they can't exist. I"m not going to try fruitlessly to convince you. I'm just going to oppose you at the voting booth.
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2013 5:41:42 PM

...and so the dream obscures, and dies. Sorry Martin.
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2013 5:44:57 PM

Monocle wrote:
It won't matter what I say. They will ever remain invisible to you, so to you they can't exist. I"m not going to try fruitlessly to convince you. I'm just going to oppose you at the voting booth.

This. Nice response Monocle. No sense in debating someone who is only in it for the argument. Besides, continuously jacking someones thread is against forum rules, and when done habitually, is simply rude.
1ball
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2013 11:16:11 PM

Monocle wrote:

I didn't think you could. We've made a lot of progress at removing systemic barriers. The rest is up to individuals. The wrong way to do it is to coerce compliance with goals people don't agree with.

nazhinaz
Posted: Sunday, September 1, 2013 6:08:47 AM

elicia wrote:
I dream for peace in the world. Sorry to say that isn't going to happen.

Why you so pessimist?
Why you think we never gonna have peace among States
We already close to attain peace; maybe another generations of two.

When big and nuclear states agreed to destroy; though slowly; their nuclear arsenals, we advancing peace among states.

Yep; peace among people can never be attained nor should It be desired.
It us the friction among people that brings forth the spirit of competition which in result does bring in creativity into play.
Posted: Sunday, September 1, 2013 6:58:41 AM

When people stop competing amongst themselves, and compete for furtherance of their species then it's progressive. This existence will someday dwindle into galactic obscurity and we should have some peace before that happens. Somehow, we just don't get it. Some try, some ignore, some take steps, and the rest have already given up. Put up the good fight, for those that care, and to the rest, shit, enjoy the ride, wish you were here.
Monocle
Posted: Sunday, September 1, 2013 8:40:27 AM

1ball wrote:
I didn't think you could.

No one can change another's closed mind.

1ball wrote:

We've made a lot of progress at removing systemic barriers. The rest is up to individuals.

That we not made 'a lot of progress' is not the contention. That we've made not enough for your laissez-faire solution is.

1ball wrote:

The wrong way to do it is to coerce compliance with goals people don't agree with.

Sometimes that's the only way. Especially when the 'people who don't agree' are a local majority, or particularly loud or well financed minority of bigots.
Ruthie
Posted: Sunday, September 1, 2013 12:45:31 PM

Magical_felix wrote:

Everyone was talking about undocumented workers including the person you quoted who had quoted someone speaking to me about undocumented workers. Once again you have failed to take your own advice about improving reading comprehension skills. I notice you have ignored all questions asked of you to focus on semantics. A tactic taken when a person has no answers.

Am I obligated to talk about what everybody else was talking about now? Is this your thread? You get to decide what's talked about. If everyone was talking about jumping off a bridge, would I have to talk about that too?

Magical_felix wrote:
Your stupidity is impressive.

Thank you.
MadMartigan
Posted: Sunday, September 1, 2013 1:42:55 PM

1ball wrote:

Your incompetence really knows no bounds does it?

The bigger question is what barrier(s) do you think have been broken?

Don't bother answering though. I expect another wiseass crack that displays your trolling idiocy.
Adagio
Posted: Sunday, September 1, 2013 2:03:48 PM

I dream that there can be a place where no one hungers for food, peace of knowledge
Posted: Sunday, September 1, 2013 3:03:31 PM

1ball wrote:
I agree. You try to use government to impose your will on others. King's dream included having people judged not by the color of the their skin, but by the content of their character. Your character is coercive. You call rich people arrogant because they won't let you tell them how to invest their wealth. You try to use government to coerce sacrifice from them. Yes, it would be nice to see live and let live in action.

No where did I read that Kristind uses government to impose anything on anyone. I did read her say that relaxing regulations opened the door to abuse and greed. Are government regulations impositions? I'll tell you this, when I get on a plane I sure as hell hope there are government regulations in place. And I think we learned that when financial institutions have no regulations in place, the lenders will take full advantage of the situation and let their greed screw a lot of people and our economy with loans that never should have loaned.

How can you call Kristind's character coercive and ignore that yours is not?

I have not read where Kristind has told anyone how to invest their money. No where did she say or imply that government coerce any sacrifice.

Sounds like you're just picking on ones ideas with your own coercive hooey, really. And then cry foul when it's used on you. Your right-of-the-Tea-Party rhetoric is extremely radical and, in fact, right of the fringe right.
Magical_felix
Posted: Sunday, September 1, 2013 4:14:47 PM

Ruthie wrote:
Am I obligated to talk about what everybody else was talking about now? Is this your thread? You get to decide what's talked about. If everyone was talking about jumping off a bridge, would I have to talk about that too?

Well... When a discussion is being had, usually one would contribute an opinion about what is being discussed. Especially if it is in reaction to a specific thing mentioned during the discussion. What you are suggesting is entering a discussion about baseball, for example, to talk about salad or something. It's odd Ruthie.

Ruthie wrote:
Thank you.

You're welcome.

Ruthie
Posted: Sunday, September 1, 2013 7:00:57 PM

Magical_felix wrote:

What you are suggesting is entering a discussion about baseball, for example, to talk about salad or something. It's odd Ruthie.

Obviously my dream is different from yours. I often dream about salad, but I don't think I've ever dreamed of baseball. Now I probably will.

Posted: Monday, September 2, 2013 4:56:12 PM

Posted: Monday, September 2, 2013 5:04:23 PM

Paul Laurence Dunbar (1872-1906)

We Wear the Mask

WE wear the mask that grins and lies,
It hides our cheeks and shades our eyes,—
This debt we pay to human guile;
With torn and bleeding hearts we smile,
And mouth with myriad subtleties.

Why should the world be over-wise,
In counting all our tears and sighs?
Nay, let them only see us, while
We wear the mask.

We smile, but, O great Christ, our cries
To thee from tortured souls arise.
We sing, but oh the clay is vile
Beneath our feet, and long the mile;
But let the world dream otherwise,
We wear the mask!

Funny how the gap has diminished, yet we still wear our silly grins.
Posted: Monday, September 2, 2013 5:41:18 PM

Kids say the darnedest things.

1lush
Posted: Wednesday, September 4, 2013 9:09:08 PM

That all people would treat others how they want treated. No good can come hatred, being a bully, or making fun.
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2013 7:41:05 AM

Yeah I had a wonderful dream lately that I want to come true. Romancing with...... Embarassed okay romancing with life hahaha