Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Great Data Transfer Options · View
SereneProdigy
Posted: Saturday, September 14, 2013 12:59:12 PM

Hello, hopefully a Lush technician can help me on that one...

My internet provider allows me to see the amount of data transferred each day by using the internet. I noticed that being on Lush provokes a great amount of download/upload, and would like to know why. I usually only post on the forums and read stories.

I'm not really complaining, just curious...
Dani
Posted: Saturday, September 14, 2013 1:26:04 PM

Perhaps you'd get a more detailed/specific reply by contacting one of the site techs e.g. Gav.

nicola
Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2013 1:01:31 AM

All those sig images that load when you're browsing the forums, add up. So too might the ads on the story pages. Turning off images in your browser will reduce bandwidth usage.

If you're streaming music or videos, that eats into your bandwidth too.

What plan are you on? You shouldn't even notice it in this day and age. I'm on a 200Gb plan I think it is, and never get anywhere near it.

SereneProdigy
Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2013 10:37:18 AM

nicola wrote:
What plan are you on? You shouldn't even notice it in this day and age. I'm on a 200Gb plan I think it is, and never get anywhere near it.

My plan allows for 35 GB initially, but I can add packages of 20 GB whenever I want for only $5. Sometimes, only being on Lush for a few hours results in a data transfer of around 2-3 GB, which I find a bit strange.

I mean, I could watch videos on Youtube or browse HD pictures and almost certainly won't reach that amount.

As I've said I'm not really complaining anyway, just curious.
nicola
Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2013 3:25:35 PM

The most likely explanation is you are probably loading your profile and leaving the auto-playing music channel going, maybe watching some videos too?

lushstories.com isn't typically very bandwidth intensive at all, unless you're loading your profile with huge background files and playing music, people are posting large images / animations to your wall etc.

This actually explains a lot: http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt/#!/bvpJfD/http://www.lushstories.com/SereneProdigy Your profile page is almost 4mb (mine, with all the images and videos people post on my wall, is over 6mb!).

Your background file is close to 1 MB. Grooveshark and their widgets / streaming, takes up another 2.5 MB.

Still, 35 GB is around 35,000 MB. 35,000 / 4 = 8750 profile loads.

An empty profile on here, is less than 300kb.

SereneProdigy
Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2013 7:10:07 PM

Thanks a lot for that information Nicola. I do listen to my playlist at times, but not everyday. I think I'll make tests to see what difference this makes on my data transfer.

Anyway, my internet connection doesn't cost me a lot (basic plan, hence 35 Gb) and paying an extra $5 every now and then is not a big deal either. I was just curious.
overmykneenow
Posted: Monday, September 16, 2013 2:30:00 AM

Visiting other people's profiles can really eat into your data. Serial gif posters will clog up people profile comments - some of them posting up to a dozen 0.5 to 1Mb gifs in one single post. with 20 posts visible on a page that soon adds up.

I've seen people on here with profile page weights in excess of 20Mb. Blocking any content from tumblr will drastically reduce the amount of bandwidth you use. I seem to remember there being a firefox plugin as well that blocks animated gifs, so that might be a help too.

Having Grooveshark play automatically when you visit your profile is just downright rude IMO. I wish there was a setting on here to block it completely.

Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

Why not read some stories instead

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
sprite
Posted: Monday, September 16, 2013 7:37:24 AM

overmykneenow wrote:

Having Grooveshark play automatically when you visit your profile is just downright rude IMO. I wish there was a setting on here to block it completely.

that one annoys me as well, since i usually have my own music playing when i'm cruising lush and it's jarring to have something else suddenly playing over the top of it.

Love not hate.
nicola
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2013 2:42:21 PM

I understand why people have their music selection on auto play, but don't really like it either. It's very MySpace, and interrupts what I am listening to.

I took a lot of convincing to add the option for custom backgrounds, but they've gone down well.
Shylass
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2013 3:27:13 PM

nicola wrote:
... But they've gone down well.

kekekegay

Ut incepit fidelis, sic permanet.

********************************CLICK THE BANNERS TO BUY THESE WILLY-STIFFENING BOOKS!********************************
nicola
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2013 4:26:01 PM

Shylass wrote:

kekekegay

I see you're a BBC 80's sitcoms lover!

The parody of those that Ricky Gervais did in "Extras" was hilarious.
overmykneenow
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2013 5:27:38 PM

I know someone who commits this profile crime on her very popular page - I won't name names but her initials are DD

Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

Why not read some stories instead

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
nicola
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2013 5:41:30 PM

I love Lana Del Rey, it's excusable if they have good taste in music Shhh