Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

George H.W. Bush is witness to same sex wedding. Options · View
lafayettemister
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2013 11:50:59 AM

H.W. Bush signs marriage certificate

Former President George H.W. Bush's presence as a witness and guest at the marriage of two women in Maine last weekend is being treated by some as his quiet endorsement of same-sex marriage.

For the record, The Associated Press writes, Bush spokesman Jim McGrath says only that the former president and his wife, Barbara Bush, attended the marriage of friends Bonnie Clement and Helen Thorgalsen as private citizens.

On her Facebook page, Thorgalsen posted a photo of the 89-year-old Bush signing the marriage license. "Getting our marriage license witnessed!" she wrote.

In an email to The Washington Post, Clement says the couple has known the Bushes for many years. The Post writes that:

" 'This is such a wonderful time for change in our legal system,' she added. 'Who would be best to help us acknowledge the importance of our wedding as our friends and as the former leader of the free world. When they agreed to do so we just felt that it was the next acknowledgment of being real and normal.' Clement, 60, said she and Thorgalsen, 55, have been together for 12 years, during which she helped raise her new wife's now-adult daughters."
The AP reminds us that:

"Bush was in the White House when gay marriage wasn't as big a political issue as it is today. One of his sons, former President George W. Bush, opposed same-sex marriage and in 2004 announced his support for a proposed constitutional amendment to outlaw it. But [George W. Bush's] wife, Laura Bush, and their daughter Barbara Bush support gay marriage, as does [George W.Bush's] former vice president, Dick Cheney, whose daughter Mary Cheney is openly gay.
"A spokesman for George W. Bush on Wednesday declined to comment on his current feelings about same-sex marriage or his thoughts about his father's role in a same-sex wedding."
Same-sex marriages became legal in Maine, where the Bushes have a summer home, last December.

========================

Hopefully this will help get more of the nation behind same sex marriage. Good job Mr. President!

occasion5 thumbright Applause

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2013 1:29:14 PM

Good for him. Please note however, that it says specifically in the article that he and his wife attended as "private citizens" which is Washington for "THIS IS NOT A PUBLIC STATEMENT!" Now, I still think it's fantastic, but as an extremely queer individual, I'm not sure that it's as big of a deal as many people seem to be making it into. For the record, I'm pan, trans, and poly, but I feel that one man's opinion (no how influential he is or once was) is not as important as it could be. Even (relatively liberal) President Obama isn't willing to give it the support it needs to get any traction in the U.S. House of Representatives, even if it made it in the Senate. That said, as a (sort of, but legally) male who has dated men and been serious about a couple of them, I support the idea of gay marriage, but not in the way you might think.

I understand that marriage in this country is a spectacular legal and financial bonus (in terms of survivor benefits, taxes and medical access to name a few) to those who choose to participate in the system, but that comes from the same set of logic that allows you to plead 'no contest' to a charge you can't refute, but take a harsher penalty for not voluntarily admitting your guilt, (By the way, if somebody wants to tell me how that's not a fifth amendment violation, that would be great). It's not that I think that married couples should be discriminated against, but I staunchly believe that people who choose to commit to each other, but not engage in a religiously or legally sanctioned marriage shouldn't be either.

It's also obvious to me that if the government can't make something available to everybody, I'd like to see it out of the business altogether, at least until they can. Also, it's worth noting, that under much of the current legislation floating around congress, not even identified bisexual men or women would be eligible to marry same sex partners (since they 'have the option to choose an opposite sex partner') and under none of it would transsexual, transgender, asexual, polyamorous, or otherwise queer individuals be granted any sort of rights. Furthermore, any of those potential laws while granting the right of legally sanctioned marriage to gay and lesbian partners, might specifically and savagely curtail those rights for others.

Like I wrote though, good for you, Mr. Bush.
lafayettemister
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2013 1:39:37 PM

Yes, I know they say it wasn't a public statement. But it still was, he's still a former president so it's automatically a public statement. If he'd said something in a small private group like, "I abhor the idea of same sex marriage" or attended a rally or protest against same sex marriage, as a private citizen... those actions would also carry much weight, because he's a former president. Would you still think his opinion was unimportant? Good for him indeed, if his support of this can change the mind of one, ten, a thousand Americans, whether he intended it or not... that's still a good thing.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2013 1:47:07 PM

I didn't mean it wasn't good, and of course it carries weight. I just don't know that it should. I'm in one of those moods today, though, so don't mind me.
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2013 7:16:40 PM

Outside the political bullshit, people are allowed to be human. Welcome back to humanity George. Now tell your son to get off his high horse. Unfortunately, he'll ask, "What hobby horse?"
Buz
Posted: Tuesday, October 01, 2013 8:40:00 PM

Good for George H.W.

nazhinaz
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2013 4:15:31 AM

Time is real change factor.
It hardly matter if the former President & his spouse attended as PRIVATE CITIZENS or not.
What really matters is the presence to same sex marriage which has been abhorred by the former President when advocated earlier.
Surely we gonna see much more changes amongst the rank & file of conservatives.
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2013 7:15:33 AM

Just goes to show...underneath all that ideology lives a real human being. Maybe even a human being with a modicum of compassion. It's nice to see a human, and even a politician, can change and accept something they were so vehemently against. I hope it was more a softening of heart than sidestepping an ideology. But whatever it was, it was a thing to see.
jfelt42
Posted: Thursday, October 03, 2013 6:25:12 PM

I think that's great..I personally believe that he was able to separate his personal feelings from what was needed at the time while in the Presidency. Too bad more politicians these days can't do that.. IMHO..
Posted: Friday, October 04, 2013 8:21:05 AM

Their house is in Kennebunkport Maine. Not sure what to think. They were never really Texans, but they pandered to get in office, carpet baggers they would have been called in the 19th century. They are old school Republicans, they would not care about sex and what you do in your bedroom. Not social conservatives, different animals.