Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Should the NHL ban fighting ? Options · View
Posted: Tuesday, October 01, 2013 3:10:38 AM

To kick off the start of the 2013/14 NHL season I'd thought i would put up an often debated topic. Experts believe that fighting in hockey is detrimental to players psyche. Leads to emotional disorders and should be banned from the game. The problem is that 'fighting has always been a part of hockey tradition.

Anyway, if nothing else? the fight in the vid is a good one enjoy :)

AGreyFoxxx
Posted: Tuesday, October 01, 2013 5:48:28 AM

Hockey is, and always has been, a very physical game. I find nothing more thrilling than watching two people collide into the boards, while chasing the puck. To civilize it through legislation would be a mistake. Don't get me wrong, no one likes a skillfully played hockey game more than me (I'll take talent over brute force every time) but the game needs to evolve on its own.
Posted: Tuesday, October 01, 2013 5:59:57 AM

NEVER!
Timbo1911
Posted: Tuesday, October 01, 2013 6:27:46 AM

Hell no it shouldnt if we take a look back fights have made some players i mean honestly look at pepole like stu grimson the grim reaper hockey skill was not near as good as jeremy ronick but stu had his place as an enforcer even today some players would be out of a job and the more well known stars would all be hurt take patrick kane hes my favorite player but hes no fighter and if it were not for his speed and an enforcer the other team would be all over him then we would be down one of our best players plus humans are violent we love violence we love to watch six foot 200lb men beat the shit outta each outer if we didnt the ufc would not be around so i say leave the best sport on the planet alone and dont try to sissy fi it (go hawks)
Posted: Tuesday, October 01, 2013 8:03:38 AM

Yes.
Dancing_Doll
Posted: Tuesday, October 01, 2013 9:48:31 AM

Nah. With all the padding, the 'fights' are typically more like tussles than anything else. Or maybe UFC has desensitized me to what I see on the ice. I don't see it as a big deal. It's a physical sport, players are asserting their dominance. We like to watch.

BikeBoy
Posted: Tuesday, October 01, 2013 1:14:30 PM

As a 47yr old Canadian guy who grew up living, eating, breathing everything hockey, including Domi/Grimson et al., and still play 1-2x/week I say it is time to somehow phase out fighting. And, yes, count me among the majority who stare slack-jawed with a mix of envy, admiration, and fear when the gloves drop on NHL ice. My argument for banning fighting is that the players, on average, are significantly bigger/stronger than those of 10-15yrs ago. All of the big guys are behemoths capable of a knock-out cow punch, not that a select few couldn't deliver in days gone by. Studies by the NHL and its feeder leagues show a dramatic increase in concussion related issues in the past 10-15yrs, no doubt in part due to the speed/size ramping up but the effects on the fighters has become inexcusable.

That's my $0.02 in Canadian cash.

VanGogh
Posted: Tuesday, October 01, 2013 1:30:18 PM

As my fellow Canadians that posted above .... fights are a natural part of a very physical game!

What is more concerning are the intentional harmful full crosschecks and intentional body-slamming-boarding that results in whiplash, concussions or other horrifying injuries. Anything intentional to HARM another player is despicable.

(and the big NFL fan that I am ... you see it in all sports - the tussles are no big deal ... it's the right-out-know-this-is-wrong-and-harmful-attacks that are stomach turning and poor sportsmanship)

A lil tussle on the ice rarely has an impact on the players physically - more prideful than physical. So ... the NFL should not ban fighting.

glasses8

Apart from the NHL (or the farm teams) ... I think in the younger teams (under 16) ... fighting should not be tolerated. Those kids need to learn the foundation of what makes a good/great/exceptional hockey player ... and we all know, rarely are those great/exceptional players fighters.

A Milf series combined with Office Sex *fans face* .... The Secretary and The Student
starting withThe Secretary and The Student - first part with a Famous Story - over 30,000 views! woohoo!

Enjoy!!

For the Anal Lovers .... come enjoy my RR honoured An Alluring Ass

Another Sex in the Office Poem (I know you love those!!) In Your Office with over 10,000 views! woohoo!

Posted: Tuesday, October 01, 2013 1:47:40 PM

Well, what a lot of sports journalists and experts are saying, is that there are mental concerns to address with players that fit the tough guy role. In thier opinion, players suffer depression as a result of frequent physical bouts enountered in the sport. Eventually beating someone up on the ice starts to get to them psychologically.
Rembacher
Posted: Tuesday, October 01, 2013 4:47:01 PM

The CHL (age 20 and under feeder league in Canada) has escalating suspensions for anyone who gets into more than 10 fights in a season. I think this would be a good way for the NHL to go as well. It would eliminate staged fights, while still allowing for aggression to boil over in the heat of the game.

On a sort of semantic argument, fighting is actually banned already. (5 minute fighting penalty) It's penalized far more than if you would take a swing at someone with your stick, (2 minutes for slashing) trip them (2 minutes for tripping) or even if you ran them into the boards in an illegal manner. (2 minutes for boarding) The debate should actually be whether the penalties for fighting are enough of a deterrent.
Posted: Tuesday, October 01, 2013 9:43:15 PM

Its hockey. Not golf.
BikeBoy
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2013 10:33:03 AM

Ajax wrote:
Well, what a lot of sports journalists and experts are saying, is that there are mental concerns to address with players that fit the tough guy role. In thier opinion, players suffer depression as a result of frequent physical bouts enountered in the sport. Eventually beating someone up on the ice starts to get to them psychologically.

True. I can only speak from what I've read about/from pro players but the consistent message seems to be that they'll talk about their fights when in a group but almost never when one-on-one. Shame, in any context, is detrimental but on such a large scale public stage it must be harsh to deal with.
Buz
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2013 10:48:38 AM

No. The NHL should ban any fool who takes his helmet off to fight. Surely no one with an IQ of at least 90 would do that. The fans love the fights. Sometimes I go to Gwinnett Gladiator games (The Atlanta metro's AAA hockey team located out in the suburbs.). The best entertainment there is watching the suburban soccer moms when their favorite player gets in a fight. They usually violently scream "Knock his head off!" while their kids sit and watch in shock.

sprite
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2013 10:52:39 AM

NickiC wrote:
Its hockey. Not golf.

actually, allowing fighting in golf would make me want to watch it. :)

Live, love, laugh.
LadyX
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2013 11:01:39 AM

Don't know much about hockey. But don't they already get penalized for fighting?
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2013 11:04:36 AM

Dancing_Doll wrote:
Nah. With all the padding, the 'fights' are typically more like tussles than anything else. Or maybe UFC has desensitized me to what I see on the ice. I don't see it as a big deal. It's a physical sport, players are asserting their dominance. We like to watch.

Here is some UFC flavor for U.
Dancing_Doll
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2013 1:17:25 PM

Ajax wrote:

Here is some UFC flavor for U.

LOL... You can totally tell the blonde with the pink phone, taking pics instead of cringing, probably watches UFC too. geek

Dirty_D
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2013 2:16:53 PM

sprite wrote:

True. You know, I went to a fight once and a hockey game broke out?
Nikki703
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2013 3:40:29 PM

Dancing_Doll wrote:

Hockey without fighting would be like Ronda Rousey and Meisha Tate sitting down for High Tea and Raspberry Scones, like a Dancing Doll story without raw, dirty, kinky, uninhibited sex!!! NEVER!!!!!
r2d2
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2013 4:28:44 PM

What is hockey without a fight??

- R2D2
Posted: Thursday, October 03, 2013 12:13:52 AM

absolutely. Its usually just two children throwning down over something stupid, while everyone watches. Its the worst part of the game. It should be fast, energetic, and graceful. I dont watch it because of that. Now any big hockey fan can refute this....but

Did Messier fight? Mario Lemieux? The Great one?..

Im saying no...cause they let their talent and skill do all the talking for them, now they were a joy to watch cause they didnt get involved in all that BS.

Just play the game..

my two cents
Posted: Thursday, October 03, 2013 10:12:40 AM

sprite wrote:

Would love to see a Tiger Woods, Phil Mic grudge match. Might make me give a damn.
Nikki703
Posted: Thursday, October 03, 2013 10:32:28 AM

illshowyou wrote:
absolutely. Its usually just two children throwning down over something stupid, while everyone watches. Its the worst part of the game. It should be fast, energetic, and graceful. I dont watch it because of that. Now any big hockey fan can refute this....but

Im saying no...cause they let their talent and skill do all the talking for them, now they were a joy to watch cause they didnt get involved in all that BS.

Just play the game..

my two cents

I agree that the talent should be the main part of Hockey or any sport but it is a very physical game and sometimes emotions get the best of the players. So if they fight once in a while I see no problem with it. As long as it is a one on one fight, no stick swinging. Very rarely does anyone get hurt or even hit for that matter, from what I have seen most fights are more of wrestling matches.

I much rather see players work out their "differences" by fighting than seeing a pitcher throw at a guys head with a 98 MPH pitch or seeing a football player hit a guy in the head with his helmut or take a cheap shot at his knees.

I dated an NHL player for a while He was kind of a tough guy who occasionally fought and he never got hurt or hurt anyone in a fight.
BikeBoy
Posted: Thursday, October 03, 2013 6:09:38 PM

illshowyou wrote:

Just play the game..

my two cents

Seriously? Even some of the fighters of that era, the first 10 years of his career anyway, feared having The Moose lose his cool. He was a rare breed, skilled with the puck yet one of the dirtiest SoB's to play the game. He played with bloodlust intensity, mitts on or off.

Monocle
Posted: Friday, October 04, 2013 9:44:51 PM

Yes. Hockey is much more exciting without the distraction of fights - they turn a game of finesse into schoolyard violence. If I want fights, I'll watch boxing.
pantywriter
Posted: Saturday, October 05, 2013 9:40:33 AM

The right fight, at the right moment, can totally change a game. I'm not talking about the 5-on-5 brawls that occasionally break out, but the team who's down 3 goals has one of their scrappy guys take on an opponent brawler, just to get the blood flowing. Hockey is often emotional, and sometimes the guys need to have that button pressed to get it going. And whether it's watching in person or on TV, a good fight makes you pay attention!
dpw
Posted: Sunday, October 06, 2013 12:44:47 AM

BikeBoy wrote:

Seriously? Even some of the fighters of that era, the first 10 years of his career anyway, feared having The Moose lose his cool. He was a rare breed, skilled with the puck yet one of the dirtiest SoB's to play the game. He played with bloodlust intensity, mitts on or off.

What a brilliant description "bloodlust intensity" I can actually picture that.
I think most big teams employ sports psychologists to deal with any problems. It's not like fighting is a compulsary part of the game.
Posted: Sunday, October 06, 2013 4:40:41 PM

Why would those who remain watching, watch it?
Posted: Friday, October 18, 2013 3:03:47 PM

Highwayman wrote:
Why would those who remain watching, watch it?
Because, it's a good sport to watch. Some enjoy the Game.
LASARDaddy
Posted: Friday, October 18, 2013 4:36:25 PM

YES.

Why do we need to watch a bunch of juvenile adults fight! I feel the same about football and basketball and baseball and soccer and any other sport. It's called a "Sport", not a fight. Grow up.

I am always a gentleman.