Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Why is the universe so big? Options · View
DanielleX
Posted: Thursday, October 3, 2013 2:51:25 PM

Why does the universe have to be a million billion billion miles across or whatever? What's all the stuff for?

As far as I can tell, it went something like this:

For a long, long time, maybe forever, there was nothing. Then there was something and it all exploded and all the matter and energy and time? (what does that mean?) came into existence. Then it expanded into space and kept expanding and the further it went the faster it expanded and so it goes on.

But why??? Why is it so BIG?

Danny xxx
Nikki703
Posted: Thursday, October 3, 2013 3:27:53 PM

DanielleX wrote:
Why does the universe have to be a million billion billion miles across or whatever? What's all the stuff for?

As far as I can tell, it went something like this:

For a long, long time, maybe forever, there was nothing. Then there was something and it all exploded and all the matter and energy and time? (what does that mean?) came into existence. Then it expanded into space and kept expanding and the further it went the faster it expanded and so it goes on.

But why??? Why is it so BIG?

Danny xxx

Isn't Bigger Better? HAHA
lafayettemister
Posted: Thursday, October 3, 2013 3:50:24 PM

From what I've learned, it goes something like this...

Our whole universe was in a hot dense state,
Then nearly fourteen billion years ago expansion started. Wait...
The Earth began to cool,
The autotrophs began to drool,
Neanderthals developed tools,
We built a wall (we built the pyramids),
Math, science, history, unraveling the mysteries,
That all started with the big bang!

BANG

edit... Bazinga!

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
Poppet
Posted: Thursday, October 3, 2013 4:21:27 PM

lafayettemister wrote:

The Earth began to cool,

BANG

edit... Bazinga!

Just made me orgasm...

Posted: Thursday, October 3, 2013 5:12:56 PM

lafayettemister wrote:

The Earth began to cool,

BANG

edit... Bazinga!

LMAO laughing3
Posted: Thursday, October 3, 2013 5:16:08 PM

Think of the universe like a big bubble. It's rapidly expanding, causing the galaxies to move ever further apart. The theory is that the gaps between the galaxies is filled with dark matter, although no one is sure exactly what it is. The real mind fuck is that because space-time is curved (due to the mass of stars and planets) if you kept going in a straight line; you would eventually end up back where you started.
Buz
Posted: Thursday, October 3, 2013 5:37:54 PM

We could be just a little universe inside a bigger one.

sprite
Posted: Thursday, October 3, 2013 5:43:50 PM

well, we could get into the big bang theory or creationism or pretty much any theory - i'm just going with mine - because it needs to be. i think that there is a beauty in it being so large that we can only guess at what lies in it, that it feeds our curiosity, that it makes us want to explore, to discover, to dream about what lies out there, and that it's big enough that we will never be able to explore it in it's entirety - no matter what, there will always be some corner of it calling for us to make new discoveries.

and yes, that is a serious answer, one that i believe in whole-heartedly.

Love not hate.
Posted: Thursday, October 3, 2013 6:08:04 PM

wish love spread as easily.
Posted: Thursday, October 3, 2013 6:10:48 PM

along the way, we can laugh at ourselves.
Ruthie
Posted: Thursday, October 3, 2013 7:47:23 PM

Our universe is only one of an infinite number of universes. The universe is like the skin of a balloon. That's why everything in the universe seems to be moving away from everything else. If you put dots on a balloon before blowing it up, they will move away from each other as the balloon expands. Likewise a bubble, as Alex7 said. The universe is big because we observe it to be big. It isn't necessarily big in relation to other universes. Our galaxy isn't one of the bigger ones either, and our solar system is a small, insignificant star with a group of mostly dead planets on the outskirts of our galaxy.

Humans, of course, are a species of ape that learned to talk and use tools. We may be the only living species that even knows that there is a universe. In the vastness of space, we may be the only things to ever wonder about the beginning and end of creation. People have been looking at the stars and wondering about them at least as long as recorded history, probably as long as we've been able to communicate and reason. Anyone who looks up at the sky and doesn't get a sense of their own insignificance is probably too narcissistic to care about the universe.

Maybe the universe is so big so we can spot those people more easily.
CleverFox
Posted: Thursday, October 3, 2013 9:06:05 PM

The universe really isn't that big, we are just really really tiny.
sprite
Posted: Thursday, October 3, 2013 9:08:59 PM

CleverFox wrote:
The universe really isn't that big, we are just really really tiny.

amen. :)

Love not hate.
Posted: Thursday, October 3, 2013 11:32:28 PM

it may only get bigger.
DanielleX
Posted: Friday, October 4, 2013 8:09:50 AM

OK, some questions..

How can there be more than one universe? If there is and I can't get my head round that, is there a chance they could run into each other? if they did, what would happen?

So, apparently as has been established, the universe is expanding. It's something to do with the amount of matter and energy, but we can only account for so much of it, and the rest we know is there but we can't see it, is that right? And then it's expanding, but based on one model it will expand forever? That makes my head go all muzzy! What's making it expand? I guess it's from some energy and if it is where is the energy coming from, if it's going to expand forever? Surely, it's going to run out of steam sooner or later and if not, why not?

I've got more questions, but that's probably enough for now.
Magical_felix
Posted: Friday, October 4, 2013 11:44:05 AM

What

DanielleX
Posted: Friday, October 4, 2013 2:03:00 PM

Magical_felix wrote:
What

Did you mean 'What?' or are you just writing random words on threads?
seeker4
Posted: Friday, October 4, 2013 2:58:33 PM

DanielleX wrote:
OK, some questions..

How can there be more than one universe? If there is and I can't get my head round that, is there a chance they could run into each other? if they did, what would happen?

So, apparently as has been established, the universe is expanding. It's something to do with the amount of matter and energy, but we can only account for so much of it, and the rest we know is there but we can't see it, is that right? And then it's expanding, but based on one model it will expand forever? That makes my head go all muzzy! What's making it expand? I guess it's from some energy and if it is where is the energy coming from, if it's going to expand forever? Surely, it's going to run out of steam sooner or later and if not, why not?

THe universe is expanding from two forces. There is the initial energy from the Big Bang (just like when you give something a push and it keeps moving). There is dark energy.

There one force resisting this expansion: gravity. Gravity between visible entities like stars, planets, galaxies and gravity exerted by the hidden mass known as dark matter.

The problem then is whether there is enough gravity to overcome the expansion.

Initially, we though there wasn't and that the universe would expand until all the energy was used up.

Then with dark matter we thought there was enough matter and that gravity would cause the universe to slow down, reverse, and collapse back into another Big Bang.

Then we found out that the expansion was actually accelerating, not slowing down, thanks (apparently, it's not yet proven) to dark energy. If it keep accelerating, it will eventually more or less fly apart.

There is a fairly good chance that none of these outcomes will matter to us since they don't become an issue for 15 or so billion years. Our solar system is toast in another 4.5 billion or so and we as a species will be lucky to make it beyond another century or so at the rate we're going.

An obsession with fur, a beautiful older woman, a steamy first time.

Soft as Fur She Was ** Lush Fetish Stories Competition Runner Up **

I've been mentoring a new Lush author, sallytheslut2. Here's her first story about a young woman discovering her sexuality with an older man.

The Man That Turned Me into a Slut

lengthxwidth
Posted: Friday, October 4, 2013 3:06:02 PM

The universe is so big because that's the way God made it......
Courtneyxoxo
Posted: Friday, October 4, 2013 3:06:16 PM

DanielleX wrote:
OK, some questions..

The more than one universe thing is complicated and has something to do with string theory, but all you really need to know is that anything that can happen, will happen in some universe. One of the laws of the multive5rse theories is that there is no was to travel or communicate between different universes.

The universe expanding thing is really weird (like just about everything in cosmology). One way you can think about it is that there was a really big explosion (the big bang) and everything was forced out away from the center, and since there isn't anything to slow it down, it's still moving, hence the expanding universe.

It might not run out of steam, if it has reached escape velocity, then the force of gravity won't ever be enough to slow it down to a stop, so it will keep expanding forever.

Then there's the theory about dark energy, which is causing the universe expansion to accelerate, but that's about all we know about it so far.

Feel free to ask more, it's nice being able to talk about something I know on here.

Posted: Friday, October 4, 2013 3:11:53 PM

Why is the universe so big? Probably because it ain't small. Who really gives a crap why? Nobody in this lifetime is ever gonna see the whole of it and if it is changing constantly, it seems unlikely to be able to map it. Or maybe I'm just going back to my default mode of Brainless Turd.
Magical_felix
Posted: Friday, October 4, 2013 3:16:03 PM

DanielleX wrote:

Did you mean 'What?' or are you just writing random words on threads?

Oh...you were serious when you asked why the universe is so big and what all the stuff is for?

Ok. I ponder things myself as well.

I've always wondered why the ocean is so wet. And what's the deal with all the things in it?

Nikki703
Posted: Friday, October 4, 2013 3:28:17 PM

Magical_felix wrote:

Oh...you were serious when you asked why the universe is so big and what all the stuff is for?

Ok. I ponder things myself as well.

I've always wondered why the ocean is so wet. And what's the deal with all the things in it?

The ocean is so wet because it gets so excited whenever you go in it!!
LadyX
Posted: Friday, October 4, 2013 3:30:11 PM

How much deeper would the ocean be if it wasn't full of sponges?
Nikki703
Posted: Friday, October 4, 2013 3:34:55 PM

Do fish ever get tired of eating seafood?
Magical_felix
Posted: Friday, October 4, 2013 3:40:56 PM

How does all the water stay in the ocean? Why doesn't it fall out? Riddle me that genius!

AmberWolfe8
Posted: Friday, October 4, 2013 4:01:57 PM

fish dontknow Maybe ~~~~~

It just _is_. The universe does not exist because of Man or for Man. Man just happens to have evolved here in this wonderful universe. There is simply no answer in science for _why_ -- we study _how_.

or With a little help from gravity and buoyancy.: dontknow fish LOL

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability.”

My Poems: ENJOY
http://www.lushstories.com/stories/love-poems/where-do-i-belong.aspx
http://www.lushstories.com/stories/love-poems/just-say-youre-mine.aspx
Magical_felix
Posted: Friday, October 4, 2013 4:06:01 PM

AmberWolfe8 wrote:
There is simply no answer in science for _why_ -- we study _how_.

Yeah, but why? Think

Adagio
Posted: Friday, October 4, 2013 4:09:17 PM

So one can have plenty parking.
Posted: Friday, October 4, 2013 4:31:05 PM

The universe will keep expanding due to gravity, and the residue of the Big Bang. Because all the galaxies and stars are being pulled further apart, in several billion years, the universe will be a cold, lonely place with no visible stars in the night sky. As for the multi universe theory, as Courtneyxoxo said, it's explained by string theory. I've read a lot about it, and as far as I can work out (nothing I've read seems to have the same explanation) it's because beams of light travel in a straight line (or strings.) between those strings lie other strings, or dimensions if you prefer, which resonate at a different frequency, undetectable at the moment by us. This is where the multiple universes exist. In the space between spaces.