Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Why is the universe so big? Options · View
LadyX
Posted: Friday, October 04, 2013 4:32:35 PM

Over 24 hours and no guy has come forward claiming his dick is called "the Universe" yet?

Lush guys, I feel like I don't even know you anymore.
Magical_felix
Posted: Friday, October 04, 2013 4:39:35 PM

LadyX wrote:
Over 24 hours and no guy has come forward claiming his dick is called "the Universe" yet?

Lush guys, I feel like I don't even know you anymore.

I'm still waiting for a girl to step up and offer her black hole before I use my ever expanding universe line on her.

DanielleX
Posted: Saturday, October 05, 2013 12:37:25 AM

Magical_felix wrote:
How does all the water stay in the ocean? Why doesn't it fall out? Riddle me that genius!

Gravity?

DanielleX
Posted: Saturday, October 05, 2013 12:41:56 AM

Courtneyxoxo wrote:

The more than one universe thing is complicated and has something to do with string theory, but all you really need to know is that anything that can happen, will happen in some universe. One of the laws of the multive5rse theories is that there is no was to travel or communicate between different universes.

The universe expanding thing is really weird (like just about everything in cosmology). One way you can think about it is that there was a really big explosion (the big bang) and everything was forced out away from the center, and since there isn't anything to slow it down, it's still moving, hence the expanding universe.

It might not run out of steam, if it has reached escape velocity, then the force of gravity won't ever be enough to slow it down to a stop, so it will keep expanding forever.

Then there's the theory about dark energy, which is causing the universe expansion to accelerate, but that's about all we know about it so far.

Feel free to ask more, it's nice being able to talk about something I know on here.

Ah I've just read about this. It's Hubble's law? So they thought it could be positive, negative or zero, right? But like you say, gravity can't overcome the energy, so it will expand forever.

OK, what do they mean when they say time was created by the big bang? Will time disappear when the universe reaches a certain size, if it's infinitely large?

Courtneyxoxo
Posted: Saturday, October 05, 2013 2:06:22 AM

DanielleX wrote:

Ah I've just read about this. It's Hubble's law? So they thought it could be positive, negative or zero, right? But like you say, gravity can't overcome the energy, so it will expand forever.

OK, what do they mean when they say time was created by the big bang? Will time disappear when the universe reaches a certain size, if it's infinitely large?

The expansion of the universe is measured by Hubble's law, but they weren't trying to work out if that was positive, negative or zero, since they know it is around 65. They were trying to workout if it was increasing, decreasing, or remaining constant.

I don't remember learning about exactly why time was created in the big bang, but my way of thinking about it is that time is a measure of the rate of change, and before the big bang there was no matter or energy anywhere in the universe, so there was no change, so it would be impossible to measure time.
DanielleX
Posted: Saturday, October 05, 2013 3:37:19 AM

Courtneyxoxo wrote:

The expansion of the universe is measured by Hubble's law, but they weren't trying to work out if that was positive, negative or zero, since they know it is around 65. They were trying to workout if it was increasing, decreasing, or remaining constant.

I don't remember learning about exactly why time was created in the big bang, but my way of thinking about it is that time is a measure of the rate of change, and before the big bang there was no matter or energy anywhere in the universe, so there was no change, so it would be impossible to measure time.

OK, I need to go and think about this/do more reading. Thanks Courtney xxx

Magical_felix
Posted: Saturday, October 05, 2013 3:53:08 AM

DanielleX wrote:

Gravity?

Yeah, but why? Why does gravity have to be so clingy? Wouldn't it be better if we could jump all high like Michael Jordan?

Space jam yo.

DanielleX
Posted: Saturday, October 05, 2013 4:00:47 AM

Magical_felix wrote:

Yeah, but why? Why does gravity have to be so clingy? Wouldn't it be better if we could jump all high like Michael Jordan?

Space jam yo.

It's not clingy. All the particles in the Earth are attracting all the particles in the water. Because the Earth is so massive, it holds on to the water.

Magical_felix
Posted: Saturday, October 05, 2013 4:03:44 AM

DanielleX wrote:

It's not clingy. All the particles in the Earth are attracting all the particles in the water. Because the Earth is so massive, it holds on to the water.

But why can't it hold on to Michael Jordan? He is 75% water you know. Why is that? Why isn't water like Michael Jordan? Bruce lee said 'be like water'... But I think he was misguided. Be like Mike.

musikboy
Posted: Saturday, October 05, 2013 4:55:52 AM

Courtneyxoxo wrote:

The universe is expanding . The scientists measured the radiation from distant stars and in time they found that it is weakening since they are moving farther away. Its great to to see a girl who has a good knowledge of physics . You are smart :)
musikboy
Posted: Saturday, October 05, 2013 4:56:10 AM

Courtneyxoxo wrote:

The universe is expanding . The scientists measured the radiation from distant stars and in time they found that it is weakening since they are moving farther away. Its great to to see a girl who has a good knowledge of physics . You are smart :)
BiMale73
Posted: Saturday, October 05, 2013 5:02:27 AM

nazhinaz
Posted: Sunday, October 06, 2013 12:17:26 AM

I agree with theoretical formulations of Seaker4.
But to respond to the basics of the question, "Why is universe so big".
Maybe we need to learn about the infinite different variations that come up to us.
And many more than never come up.
Lets keep learning and educating ourselves & our posterity.
Posted: Sunday, October 06, 2013 5:06:19 PM

"Surely, it's going to run out of steam sooner or later and if not, why not?"

All matter and energy becomes something else. Billions of years of energy have pushed things along. What is pushing? Still not conclusively known, but billions of years of pushing show there is something there.

Water evaporates out of oceans but do not "fall out", and those atoms become something else. Planets and galaxies collide and become something else. It does not stop. Our bodies and minds stop, and become something else. However, we're not in control of that. And, it's scary. For some it calls for pure inquiry, for others it calls for asinine jokes, and others alternative revelations.

nazhinaz
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2013 1:28:38 AM

Another theory; though no proof as yet.
Black holes are rotating at a speed faster than light and thus can't be seen.
Black holes engulf all matter and energy that comes closer to black holes.
There's no distinction between either black energy or black matter and/or visible matter/energy.
Once Black hole has engulfed it; nothing is visible.
We don't understand what happens to that energy/ matter.
Theory presumes that after rotating at velocity greater than light, the energy is refreshed and churned out from other side of Black Hole.
This form of refreshed energy is part of A NEW UNIVERSE ON THE OTHER SIDE OF BLACK HOLES.
THE REFRESHED ENERGY AGAIN CONVERTS INTO MATTER THERE AND SUCH INFINITE UNIVERSES ARE THERE ON OTHER SIDE OF BLACK HOLES.
BLACK HOLES ARE MEANT TO REFRESH ENERGY AND MATTER.
Just a presumption.
DanielleX
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2013 11:05:31 AM

If black holes are sucking in all this light and matter, is it possible that dark energy and dark matter is in black holes?

Posted: Monday, October 07, 2013 2:06:34 PM

"What is pushing? Still not conclusively known, but billions of years of pushing show there is something there."

Same goes for pulling.

Google it before your life blinks.
Courtneyxoxo
Posted: Tuesday, October 08, 2013 10:20:00 AM

DanielleX wrote:
If black holes are sucking in all this light and matter, is it possible that dark energy and dark matter is in black holes?

Assuming you had a black hole big enough, dark matter would get sucked in to a black hole in the same way normal matter is. Dark energy on the other hand isn't really a thing. It isn't something radiating out from a central point pushing everything else away, it's just a name given to explain why distant galaxies are accelerating away instead of slowing down. So it can't be sucked into black holes.
Posted: Thursday, October 10, 2013 10:59:24 AM

DanielleX wrote:

I would say, without a doubt that you would find about 20 of my odd socks in one of those black holes....coffee

Posted: Thursday, October 10, 2013 11:06:51 AM

lafayettemister wrote:
From what I've learned, it goes something like this...

Our whole universe was in a hot dense state,
Then nearly fourteen billion years ago expansion started. Wait...
The Earth began to cool,
The autotrophs began to drool,
Neanderthals developed tools,
We built a wall (we built the pyramids),
Math, science, history, unraveling the mysteries,
That all started with the big bang!

BANG

edit... Bazinga!
love it!!! :D
Posted: Thursday, October 10, 2013 11:08:42 AM

Is the universe really big? Or is it a figment of our imagination? For all we know scientists are simply screwing us up. We can never really tell what is reality or not. Is this reality, or is death reality? sigh. Sorry, this is only what I think :)
Posted: Thursday, October 10, 2013 5:18:33 PM

Death can only be reality, if this is reality. Since most energy becomes something else. Beautification of that is the need for human beings to ignore simple principle and introduce something out the rational. We have a need to be more.

Yes, scientists have devised a plan over millennia whose sole premise is to "fuck with people." Currently they live under grants, and tenure at universities for the rest of their lives only to do so. That, and score hot science babes on their way to a kegger.

CharlotteRusse1
Posted: Saturday, October 12, 2013 6:58:42 PM

The answer is:

Writer of amateur erotica since 2011..See the latest at:

[url=http://www.lushstories.com/stories/reluctance/the-chaise-lounge.aspx]
Marinepilot
Posted: Saturday, October 12, 2013 8:24:28 PM

CharlotteRusse1 wrote:
The answer is:

Love it! Read the book about 25 years ago. Still cracks me up!

Read it

Marine Pilot
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2013 7:30:04 AM

Actually it isn't big if you compare it to the logic you have got. Regaeman Man
Posted: Sunday, October 20, 2013 2:06:35 AM

You know that there has to be life out there if Mc Donald's has a 24 Hr Drive- thru.
Peri
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2014 2:59:43 AM

Scientists estimate that the known universe is just a fraction of space. So I would like you to see this 6 minutes video which I saw in high school days. It would give you an idea of where we are! But Danielle's question still remain that why its so big. You may ask this question again to yourself after watching this video :)

Link to my recent poem Chance for Romance

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/love-poems/chance-for-romance.aspx
Muffledmoans
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2014 7:02:43 AM

Courtneyxoxo wrote:

The more than one universe thing is complicated and has something to do with string theory, but all you really need to know is that anything that can happen, will happen in some universe. One of the laws of the multive5rse theories is that there is no was to travel or communicate between different universes.

The universe expanding thing is really weird (like just about everything in cosmology). One way you can think about it is that there was a really big explosion (the big bang) and everything was forced out away from the center, and since there isn't anything to slow it down, it's still moving, hence the expanding universe.

It might not run out of steam, if it has reached escape velocity, then the force of gravity won't ever be enough to slow it down to a stop, so it will keep expanding forever.

Then there's the theory about dark energy, which is causing the universe expansion to accelerate, but that's about all we know about it so far.

Feel free to ask more, it's nice being able to talk about something I know on here.

That's an awful lot of very specified knowledge for 19 year old! I'm guessing you study this? Not many people you can find with this as an interest.. ! director

Happiness is not an outcome or an entitlement. It is not tangible and it is not purchasable. It is a conscious decision, it is a state-of-mind, it is a choice you make at every crossroad.
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2014 3:02:40 PM

What he said.
DLizze
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2014 10:30:19 PM

I think this is the wrong place to be asking why the universe is so big. If you want the real answer (and NOT just a simplistic 42), you need to go ask the mice.

"There's only three tempos: slow, medium and fast. When you get between in the cracks, ain't nuthin' happenin'." Ben Webster