Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Female Avatars: Higher Scores? Options · View
lemanruss
Posted: Saturday, November 2, 2013 8:58:08 PM

Rank: Active Ink Slinger

Joined: 1/16/2013
Posts: 12
Location: United States
I'm just curious as a writer who has a fairly anonymous avatar on a site in which chatting is obviously a big part of things. Does anyone think that writers who have a sexy female avatar tend to get higher story scores in general? I notice that a lot of writers with avatars who are obviously cribbed photos from amateur sites tend to get way more votes than writers who post under male or asexual avatar types. A lot of the comments I see at the end of such stories are of the type that say "Oh, I bet you enjoyed that! I would like to do "x" to you." Or just "Wanna talk about this later?" I guess these things are to be expected but it makes me wonder if some people are at an advantage/ disadvantage depending on whom the reader thinks is writing the tale.

So I ask: Do you take the presented avatar in mind when you read a story? Does it affect the way you read a tale? Is the supposed attainability of an author make for a more engaging story?

I don't post this as an invitation for flames and I certainly don't consider my stories as above re approach, but I've seen some terrible stories get incredible scores due to an avatar that was cribbed from some amateur site and an author profile that claims to be an "oversexed 18 year old who is also bi-curious." If there were a trope for site profiles, that would sound a huge alarm!

buttercup2u
Posted: Sunday, November 3, 2013 12:13:35 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 10/13/2012
Posts: 439
Location: lost in paradise, United States
I don't think that the avatar has much to do with the scores...I used to have a bunny with shades....still had the same kind of scores...

Seems that the ones who are reading and scoring the stories are less inclined to score based on one's avatar, more on the merit of the story. They are the more mature ones who come on a sex site and actually read the stories rather than to just go for the quickie in the chat rooms...

I have to say, I tend to read the story if it sounds interesting or good rather than look at the author. If I find an author I like, I tend to read all their posted stories as time permits.
VanGogh
Posted: Sunday, November 3, 2013 12:57:13 AM

Rank: Sarcastic Coffee Aficionado

Joined: 2/10/2012
Posts: 3,952
Location: Vancouver, Canada
lemanruss wrote:

So I ask:

a) Do you take the presented avatar in mind when you read a story?
b) Does it affect the way you read a tale?
c) Is the supposed attainability of an author make for a more engaging story?



Answering the above questions .....

a) never .... that is ridiculous
b) again .... never
c) what does that mean?? attainability of an author, how????

An authors'/writers' AV has ZERO to do with scores or if I will/won't read their work. I agree with Buttercup - there are many of us here that appreciate the stories and we actually focus more of our time on reading and/or writing. Personally, I do not favour a gender for their writing, but I do favour authors I follow because I like their style of writing. Having said that, I always check out what my friends are reading .... I may just find an new author to follow!
Shaman
Posted: Sunday, November 3, 2013 1:20:48 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 9/5/2013
Posts: 521
Location: In a Galaxy far far away, United States
i judge on talent half the time i dont even realize if the author is male or female
DanielleX
Posted: Sunday, November 3, 2013 2:43:47 AM

Rank: Blonde Bombshell
Moderator

Joined: 11/6/2011
Posts: 3,698
Location: Liverpool, United Kingdom
lemanruss wrote:
I'm just curious as a writer who has a fairly anonymous avatar on a site in which chatting is obviously a big part of things.


Anonymous unless you collect Space Wolves. I once knelt on one of the little fuckers when I was in my Dad's study!

Anyway, I very much doubt the Avatar makes a difference. It might have some affect if you're a new writer, but the quality of the writing will soon speak for itself. You can only hide behind a sexy Avatar for so long. Hope you get zapped by Tyrannauts or whatever. bootyshake
Shylass
Posted: Sunday, November 3, 2013 2:57:43 AM

Rank: Gingerbread Lover

Joined: 1/6/2012
Posts: 3,862
Location: Wiggleton, United Kingdom
Personally, I don't care what an avatar looks like. An author has to work extremely hard (I said hard kekekegay ) to get me to read their work. I won't read it at all if I got a mass message or saw the advert on my blog. I will read it because I like the title or tags, or the first few sentences.

I do know that when I have my boobies on display, I get a huge amount of extra views. I only do that about once a year, to see if the profile views rise (they do). Last time I did it, I got fifty-six more views than with my daisy avatar. It's probable that a girly avatar gets more views from lads (or lasses) wanting to get off immediately. If the piece worked, job well done, and high fives! I do think there is something in what you say, but not from my point of view as a reader.

In my eyes, a good author builds a name for themselves. I am very likely to check out work at the recommendation of friends and other authors I respect, and watch their progress if they caught my imagination. Your score depends on what I perceive to be the quality, effort and character with which you write. I expect a lot, and reward well where I see a piece well done or attempted. I won't mark you higher or lower for your avatar.


Ut incepit fidelis, sic permanet.

***
********************************CLICK THE BANNERS TO BUY THESE WILLY-STIFFENING BOOKS!********************************
lemanruss
Posted: Sunday, November 3, 2013 7:58:58 AM

Rank: Active Ink Slinger

Joined: 1/16/2013
Posts: 12
Location: United States
DanielleX wrote:


Anonymous unless you collect Space Wolves. I once knelt on one of the little fuckers when I was in my Dad's study!

Anyway, I very much doubt the Avatar makes a difference. It might have some affect if you're a new writer, but the quality of the writing will soon speak for itself. You can only hide behind a sexy Avatar for so long. Hope you get zapped by Tyrannauts or whatever. bootyshake


Haha! Once again a closet geek gets outed. angel7
lemanruss
Posted: Sunday, November 3, 2013 8:04:10 AM

Rank: Active Ink Slinger

Joined: 1/16/2013
Posts: 12
Location: United States
Shylass wrote:
I do know that when I have my boobies on display, I get a huge amount of extra views. I only do that about once a year, to see if the profile views rise (they do). Last time I did it, I got fifty-six more views than with my daisy avatar. It's probable that a girly avatar gets more views from lads (or lasses) wanting to get off immediately. If the piece worked, job well done, and high fives! I do think there is something in what you say, but not from my point of view as a reader.


This is a good point and rereading my original post, I probably should have asked this in the writers forum and phrased it as "Do you THINK a sexy avatar is a conduit for more views/ votes?" I too pay little heed to the nature of an author's picture and in fact I actually tend to be a little suspicious of the more obvious fakes, but I still wonder how many male authors moonlight as teen sexpots just to garner more views and better votes. Food for thought, I guess.
RejectReality
Posted: Sunday, November 3, 2013 10:10:36 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 1/29/2012
Posts: 213
Location: Alternate Reality, United States
While the AVA may attract attention, it's only an extension of the "Sex: Female" part of the profile.

There are guys hoping to cyber or hook up. If they don't know it right from the outset, they soon enough learn that voting and leaving comments get the attention of an author. It may not get them to first base, but it gets their foot in the door.

Most guys would rather have a sexy woman tell him a story than a guy. They're going to gravitate toward females, and a female avatar is the first signpost. If it's a sexy one, that's even better. If it seems like it could be a real pic of the author, even better. If there are pics in the profile that seem to back up it's the author - jackpot!

Female authors - on average - tend to flesh out the characters more in their stories. There are only so many ways to write "insert tab A into slot B" and it quickly becomes bland unless there's more to the story than the fucking. Women do that more frequently on average than male writers. So for people here to read and be turned on, they're going to gravitate toward females ( and female avas )

It makes a difference, but it's not all about the picture itself. There are deeper reasons, and they're not all shallow or conscious.

Guest
Posted: Sunday, November 3, 2013 9:15:10 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 816,696
fish I don't have an answer but I am more drawn to certain categories and some people on here write their asses off so I read it. That is all I can say.
kylie_kained
Posted: Sunday, November 3, 2013 9:25:53 PM

Rank: Detention Seeker

Joined: 8/17/2010
Posts: 1,112
Location: Over your Knee Screaming and Kicking!, United King
Different people have ideas of what makes a good story not everyone has set ideas and what works for some may not for others.
















Ariel21
Posted: Sunday, November 3, 2013 9:40:05 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 5/31/2012
Posts: 197
Location: http://www.lushstories.com/ariel21, United States
Honestly I dont think a hot avatar is going to help you get higher score. I think a good title that will draw in a reader, or maybe the genre of the story my help. Also people who are talented get higher views. But i doubt a girls avatar that has huge tits gets more views on her stories then a gal with a cute bunny.

Bottom line.... talent gets the views. Not her avatar.

TheDevilsWeakness
Posted: Monday, November 4, 2013 12:38:36 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 7/19/2011
Posts: 1,373
Location: In a cloud of flour, Canada
I'll admit firsthand sometimes I'll read the intro to a story because of the username and avatar... But only if I find it interesting.
And then maybe I'll read the story.
And then maybe I'll vote and/or comment.

It doesn't have to be a sexy avatar to catch my attention though.

overmykneenow
Posted: Monday, November 4, 2013 1:24:44 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 6/8/2010
Posts: 1,405
Location: United Kingdom
Having an av of a beautiful woman does appear to help in getting more reaction to your stories as this quick and dirty research I did in January suggested...

http://www.lushstories.com/forum/yaf_postsm1057961_Misleading-Avatars.aspx#1057961

overmykneenow wrote:
There is a definite advantage if you're an author and have av of a sexy woman.

Go to buy a magazine; the ones aimed at men have beautiful women on the covers, the ones aimed at women have beautiful women on the covers. There's a reason for this.

NUMBERS GEEK-ERY ALERT

Ok, I did a tiny bit of analysis to see if I could back this up. I took a random sample of three pages of story links from about a week ago, I didn't count the Incest stories because they attract an abnormally high amount of votes compared to other catergories.
Code:


Total sample: 40 stories

Avatar                   No of stories    No of votes       Average votes per story
Default red male         5                33                6.6
Default red female       3                23                7.7
Miscellaneous            17               185               10.8
Male                     10               114               11.4
Female                   15               241               16.1


A very small sample but certainly enough to lend weight to what most people would assume to be true


Of course this doesn't suggest that the votes would be better, only closer analysis would show that

Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

Why not read some stories instead

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
Mazza
Posted: Monday, November 4, 2013 4:00:29 AM

Rank: Mazztastic

Joined: 9/20/2012
Posts: 3,351
Location: Scotland, United Kingdom
I suppose you could just liken an AV to a book cover, couldn't you? In that an eye catching one is more likely to pique your interest and get you to take a look...

Nothing to see here...
Shylass
Posted: Monday, November 4, 2013 4:20:12 AM

Rank: Gingerbread Lover

Joined: 1/6/2012
Posts: 3,862
Location: Wiggleton, United Kingdom
NickiC wrote:


How in the world would you know if the avatar is fake? I just wonder. Yes puppies don't post or cartoons, buildings or things like that but you can't say that. Its about the content and the writer. Some people come here to write, have fun and do not want the world to see them. What is wrong with that? Is that you in your avatar?


Sometimes, it's obvious a person is using an avatar that is not them. In any case, simple searches can reveal other places where the image has been previously published. For instance, your avatar can be matched to a modelling website that uses your avatar, but in colour. Mine cannot currently be found, but I think that's because of my privacy settings where I've used it before (I own the copyright to mine, because I took it).

The original poster, whilst initially appearing to be a little confrontational, is simply asking a very valid question. And whether or not you agree with them, it wasn't calling anybody out about it. It was simple wondering.

We have had cases on Lush before of people disguising themselves as the opposite sex for various reasons. One of those reasons is to raise their readership, because like it or not, female avatars generally do get more views unless the male author has already been able to build a name for himself over time.

As I see it, the original poster wasn't saying there was anything particularly wrong in using an avatar that is not the author. Many people don't like to think they have been "duped" into thinking the author is someone they aren't. A choice of avatar is personal preference, but the fact is, if that avatar is a sexy female, it will get more views. Whether a person claims to be that avatar's subject is a different matter, for a different thread.



Ut incepit fidelis, sic permanet.

***
********************************CLICK THE BANNERS TO BUY THESE WILLY-STIFFENING BOOKS!********************************
thesexynun
Posted: Tuesday, November 19, 2013 10:07:13 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 11/18/2013
Posts: 881
Location: the nunnery, United States
for me no

i read by title first and what the tags might be

or if the author is a friend or someone who's work i admire

or even if the subject i can really feel

but to say i might only get votes because i am passable looking sort of offends me(though i am most likely taking this the wrong way)

that is saying my words are less than my face

and to me...no face is better than a beautifully written story or poem

" smile..it is the second best thing to do with your LIPS!"
Metilda
Posted: Tuesday, November 19, 2013 10:46:16 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 3/10/2013
Posts: 1,519
Location: United States
There's a reason why my avatar is of me smiling - and nothing else. Well, save for a pearl necklace.

But I'm also the best author in the whole wide world.

LOL

So it's a tough call :D (I'm just kidding on both counts, btw)
thesexynun
Posted: Tuesday, November 19, 2013 10:50:40 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 11/18/2013
Posts: 881
Location: the nunnery, United States
i love your avatar...a smile gives so much!!

" smile..it is the second best thing to do with your LIPS!"
Diogiones
Posted: Wednesday, November 20, 2013 8:07:29 AM

Rank: Active Ink Slinger

Joined: 12/24/2012
Posts: 24
Location: United States
I know that the sex of the writer has little to do with how I vote on a story. Two of my favorite writers on here are male. One poster commented that women tend to flesh (pardon the pun) out a story more than males do, in many cases I agree with that. I am following a lot of writers on here, the vast majority are female, but by no means all. I look for content of the stories, if they can keep me reading past the first thrust then I'm hooked. I want more than a wham, bam, thank you mam story.
I try to read all that are published. If your able to get past the review then you have IMHO accomplished something.

It's only kinky the first time.
Buz
Posted: Wednesday, November 20, 2013 8:04:46 PM

Rank: The Linebacker
Moderator

Joined: 3/2/2011
Posts: 9,596
Location: Atlanta, United States
If you write well written stories that people enjoy, you will pick up a following. Packaging does sell, but good work will get you repeat readers and good votes.




Wilful
Posted: Wednesday, November 20, 2013 8:10:26 PM

Rank: Devil's Advocate
Moderator

Joined: 6/15/2013
Posts: 1,455
Location: Digging a hole on the beach, Australia
I think all you blokes make a good point. While the sexy avatar and the bullshit profile definitely brings them in, it's the talent and skill that keeps them coming back for more.

Let me tell you this though, the donkey doesn't work for shit.

Please take a look at my latest story, Banging for Roof.

And for a sexy little rush of Adrenalin, pick yourself up a copy of the Lush Summer anthology.
kiera
Posted: Wednesday, November 20, 2013 8:47:20 PM

Rank: Short Arse Brit

Joined: 3/23/2013
Posts: 18,358
Location: Sipping tea , United Kingdom
Wilful wrote:
I think all you blokes make a good point. While the sexy avatar and the bullshit profile definitely brings them in, it's the talent and skill that keeps them coming back for more.

Let me tell you this though, the donkey doesn't work for shit.


Are you kidding me Will Im your biggest fan cause I love donkeys pmsl, hey hun Big Hugs

Avatars don't sway me on stories, any more then they do in any other instances (except Wills as I have a donkey fetish pmsl) I don't get to read as much as i'd like to anymore but I have to say no, not by me but I can certainly see how many would and its a shame.

My favourite authors here are Mazza as she well knows and purely for her talent as a writer and recently as a poet LYFBUZ and his avatar is a drip lol.

Guest
Posted: Wednesday, November 20, 2013 9:40:52 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 816,696
When I first posted stories on Lush (I was 18 and I had deleted my Lush after a few months), I was only getting 5 votes total and about 1,000 views and I had a nice avatar of my ass. Now I'm 21 and I have 30 votes and over 4,000 views on my Soccer Coach story. I became a better writer, it's not because of the avatar.
hannahjane
Posted: Wednesday, November 20, 2013 10:16:44 PM

Rank: Active Ink Slinger

Joined: 9/7/2011
Posts: 11
I read stories based on their subject matter. Nothing to do with who's written it, or what they look like. If it looks like my kind of story I'll start reading. If it doesn't grab my attention in the first few paragraphs I'll. Stop. Simples.
Guest
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2013 2:30:00 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 816,696
I don't think that the avatar is that important. Some user names might be off putting which is one reason I changed mine from something that was associated with disease to something more saucy. I do wonder about age though, and whether the younger people who make up a large proportion of Lush membership are actually repelled, however subconsciously, by the idea of older people enthusiastically enjoying sex.
overmykneenow
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2013 2:41:43 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 6/8/2010
Posts: 1,405
Location: United Kingdom
I wanted to go back and redo the research I did last time but it looks like the four-bomber was back in operation last week - stories getting 50-odd votes and only three comments - so the data will be pretty much useless.

There's no evidence at the moment to suggest that female avatars alone get better comments or votes but it would seem that they do get more attention

Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

Why not read some stories instead

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
CurlyGirly
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2013 7:51:22 AM

Rank: CurlyFries

Joined: 10/5/2012
Posts: 1,834
Location: United States
Willyc2licu wrote:
I don't think that the avatar is that important. Some user names might be off putting which is one reason I changed mine from something that was associated with disease to something more saucy. I do wonder about age though, and whether the younger people who make up a large proportion of Lush membership are actually repelled, however subconsciously, by the idea of older people enthusiastically enjoying sex.


I don't think this is the case. At least it's certainly never been an issue for me here, and I probably do fall into the category of older people enthusiastically enjoying sex. No matter what Miley Cyrus says. evil4
Guest
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2013 2:52:08 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 816,696
Shylass wrote:


Sometimes, it's obvious a person is using an avatar that is not them. In any case, simple searches can reveal other places where the image has been previously published. For instance, your avatar can be matched to a modelling website that uses your avatar, but in colour. Mine cannot currently be found, but I think that's because of my privacy settings where I've used it before (I own the copyright to mine, because I took it).

The original poster, whilst initially appearing to be a little confrontational, is simply asking a very valid question. And whether or not you agree with them, it wasn't calling anybody out about it. It was simple wondering.

We have had cases on Lush before of people disguising themselves as the opposite sex for various reasons. One of those reasons is to raise their readership, because like it or not, female avatars generally do get more views unless the male author has already been able to build a name for himself over time.

As I see it, the original poster wasn't saying there was anything particularly wrong in using an avatar that is not the author. Many people don't like to think they have been "duped" into thinking the author is someone they aren't. A choice of avatar is personal preference, but the fact is, if that avatar is a sexy female, it will get more views. Whether a person claims to be that avatar's subject is a different matter, for a different thread.


Again, no hard feelings.
Guest
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2013 2:52:12 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 816,696
double post

Shhh
Users browsing this topic
Guest 


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS

Powered by Yet Another Forum.net version 1.9.1.6 (NET v4.0) - 11/14/2007
Copyright © 2003-2006 Yet Another Forum.net. All rights reserved.