Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

CHAOS in Ireland!!!!! Justin Timberlake covers a classic Irish ballad... Options · View
stephanie
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2013 1:17:27 PM

Ireland is DIVIDED over this!!!! (Well, any fucking excuse with us, really...)

But seriously, HERE is Justin Timberlake's take on the classic Irish ballad, "The 'Oul Triangle..." (The title comes from the 'triangle' that prison warders would rattle to wake prisoners every morning... "Oul" just means 'old'... Mountjoy Gaol was, and still indeed is, a functioning gaol built along the banks of North Dublin's Royal Canal...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPuLmTUTQok

This is ALL OVER Irish radio! I think it's FANTASTIC! (I'm not in the majority here!) Not only does he sing it with real truth and meaning, but the harmonies, (uncommon in traditional Irish folk music) hint at how, since the 1850s, Irish traditional music has influenced American popular music in a line that can be traced through Guthrie, Dylan, The Dillards, The Eagles and REM...

(Irish muso-purists are APPALLED that an American pop-star has re-interpreted a classic Irish anthem. Well, FUCK them. Music is ALIVE and never written in stone. KUDOS to Justin Timberlake for his heartfelt and beautiful rendering of an Irish classic!)

So... Whaddya Fookers Tink? (As we say here...)

xx Stephen

"Window Shopping for a NEW Crown Of Thorns..." xx SF
stephanie
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2013 1:22:59 PM

(This is what we consider a "CLASSIC" version... Sung here by the late-lamented Luke Kelly of "The Dubliners...")

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aa7birRBmNM

I'd really love if people came in with an opinion on this...

Music is my thing, and I was raised on such beauty as these folk songs...

xx SF

Liz
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2013 1:28:24 PM

stephanie wrote:

So... Whaddya Fookers Tink? (As we say here...)

xx Stephen

I quite like both versions.

The Luke Kelly version sounds more rustic and 'old country' to me. JT's is quite polished and harmonious (as you would expect).

Different strokes.

stephanie
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2013 1:45:37 PM

Liz wrote:

I quite like both versions.

The Luke Kelly version sounds more rustic and 'old country' to me. JT's is quite polished and harmonious (as you would expect).

Different strokes.

"YA KIN'T LIKE DEM BOTE, YE WEE ENGLISH DEVIANT!!!!!!! PICK ONE OR WE'LL BOMB MANCHESTER... (again...) CHILDERENDENDERIDDLEDILLEDEN COULD DIE!!!!!"

xx SF

This is why I wasn't allowed in Gen-Pop...

Liz
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2013 1:52:06 PM

stephanie wrote:

"YA KIN'T LIKE DEM BOTE, YE WEE ENGLISH DEVIANT!!!!!!! PICK ONE OR WE'LL BOMB MANCHESTER... (again...) CHILDERENDENDERIDDLEDILLEDEN COULD DIE!!!!!"

xx SF

I only do it to annoy the music journalists Lwinking

"What'd she say? She likes both?"

"Yep."

"She can't say that! Can she?"

"I dunno."

"But... what sort of fuckin' answer is that?! She needs to pick one!"

"Whatever."

Alright, alright. If I HAD to choose one, for the sake of the children, probably the JT cover.

stephanie
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2013 2:08:37 PM

Liz wrote:

I only do it to annoy the music journalists Lwinking

"What'd she say? She likes both?"

"Yep."

"She can't say that! Can she?"

"I dunno."

"But... what sort of fuckin' interview is that?! She needs to pick one!"

"Whatever."

Alright, alright. If I HAD to choose one, for the sake of the children, probably the JT cover.

Correct.

(But only 'cos the other one exists, and THAT'S Irish politics in a nutshell... *Giggles!*)

I WILL tell you a true story.

I once did literacy classes and writing classes at Mountjoy... (I TAUGHT THEM YOU FUCKERS...)

The women's wing of the Gaol is above the men's wing.... (It was built in about the late 1800's...) One of the warders told me that the women prisoners often tie their knickers to pieces of thread and lower them down the wall for the pleasure of the male inmate, who'll pull the prize in through their little windows...

APPARENTLY, when said prisoners are finished admiring the finish of the lingerie... (Or whatever it is they do...) they tie cigarettes to the kninnies and then tug on the thread so that the girl knows to pull them back up... (Insert your own joke...)

And for the life of me, I just think that's beautiful...

xx SF

Liz
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2013 2:46:13 PM

stephanie wrote:

And for the life of me, I just think that's beautiful...

I love your stories.

(How many cigarettes are we talking? Did they have fancy kninnies? What if they kept them?)

nicola
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2013 3:23:25 PM

stephanie
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2013 3:41:12 PM

Liz wrote:

I love your stories.

(How many cigarettes are we talking? Did they have fancy kninnies? What if they kept them?)

Ahh, now Pharie... Sure, there'd be a carton of Marlboro Red Sellotaped to the remains of yours as they were sent back up, the centre chewed out of them, and half the lads on B-wing picking cotton from their teeth and smiling blissfully... Money well spent... And you only in overnight for a parking fine... Jayzus!

xx SF

(I'm going to hell...)

AGreyFoxxx
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 4:47:03 AM

Having listened to both, I have to agree with Liz. They are both quite good. But to avoid havin' me home destroyed, again, I'll go with Liz. Justin's cover is a wee bit more polished and the harmonies are 'spot on'. Raised on Tommy Makem and the Clancy's I do have an appreciation of music from the 'Auld Sod'
AGreyFoxxx
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 4:48:50 AM

By the way.....you two are having way too much fun here! It should be illegal!
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 6:26:22 AM

I listened to both. I think the Dubliners version is more raw and heartfelt, but I prefer JT's rendition. I think he gave it due respect and didn't "Americanise" it. The harmonies were beautifully done.
angieseroticpen
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 6:40:07 AM

Justin Beaver version... defo... Pint Drunk

“When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us.”
Saga
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 7:01:01 AM

Sorry, you are gonna hate my answer, but I like both versions. I think JT did a great job, and it takes guts for an american to take that song on. I also really like the original version because it sounds more rustic. :)
Saga
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 7:02:10 AM

angieseroticpen wrote:
Justin Beaver version... defo... Pint Drunk

Lfunny You are such a trouble maker!

She
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 7:43:48 AM

Definitely original. ..but than again I have a thing for husky in this case 'ish' voices. I didn't understand most of the lyrics, but is heartfelt and so emotional.
JT did okay job, I think, however his emotions that are coming trough I just cannot connect to the song. maybe a wee too much pathetic? However much respect for JT for doing this cover, maybe 0.1% of his fans would be curious enough and google original version and learn something new about the music and its heritages. Like I did today :)

edit: actually I fell in love with the original and Luke Kelly. I keep listening to the song. Thanks Stephanie!!
overmykneenow
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 8:14:20 AM

Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

Why not read some stories instead

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 8:23:02 AM

Here is another version I like too. Just throwing something else in the mix. Not the biggest Timberlake fan but he can sing, no doubt.

Buz
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 8:55:27 PM

Maybe ole Justin has some Irish in him. You know there are like 40 million Irish-Americans running around spreading their genes all over the place here.