Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

What kind of punctuation is accepted here? Options · View
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2013 5:37:58 PM

Just like the title says I'm curious about the acceptable punctuation here. I have been reading stories here for a few people who have been rejected and one of them was because of punctuation. Specifically UK style punctuation. I tutor English and one of my favorite fall back sites is grammar monster and according to them ( http://www.grammar-monster.com/lessons/quotation_(speech)_marks_punctuation_in_or_out.htm ) the punctuation which had been initially used was correct.

I spotted that people from the UK are on this site as well so I am curious to know if only american style punctuation is acceptable here.
Mazza
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2013 5:47:58 PM

Magma_Boils_333 wrote:
Just like the title says I'm curious about the acceptable punctuation here. I have been reading stories here for a few people who have been rejected and one of them was because of punctuation. Specifically UK style punctuation. I tutor English and one of my favorite fall back sites is grammar monster and according to them ( http://www.grammar-monster.com/lessons/quotation_(speech)_marks_punctuation_in_or_out.htm ) the punctuation which had been initially used was correct.

I spotted that people from the UK are on this site as well so I am curious to know if only american style punctuation is acceptable here.

No, UK and US style punctuation is accepted, the main thing being that it is consistent, within the context of the written piece. If there are too many mistakes, it will be rejected though...

Nothing to see here...
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2013 6:06:31 PM

Mazza wrote:

No, UK and US style punctuation is accepted, the main thing being that it is consistent, within the context of the written piece. If there are too many mistakes, it will be rejected though...

In the story I'm referring to, the dialogue was in UK style and was rejected because of the mark placements.
Mazza
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2013 6:09:17 PM

Magma_Boils_333 wrote:

In the story I'm referring to, the dialogue was in UK style and was rejected because of the mark placements.

All of the dialogue in my stories is UK-style. I'd suggest that you ask your friend to PM the mod who rejected it, or contact a senior story verifier... As long as it is correct, there shouldn't be a problem with it...

Nothing to see here...
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2013 6:14:53 PM

Mazza wrote:

All of the dialogue in my stories is UK-style. I'd suggest that you ask your friend to PM the mod who rejected it, or contact a senior story verifier... As long as it is correct, there shouldn't be a problem with it...

I'm referring to the punctuation being outside of the quotation marks. For example: "I wonder where my keys are", said Mazza. vs. "I wonder where my keys are," said Mazza.

Both of these are correct and I see that your stories have the second version while my friend used the first.

My friend has adjusted the story to fit the second, I am asking to satisfy my own curiosity.
Shylass
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2013 6:19:36 PM

I'm in the UK, and I was taught that punctuation in dialogue goes inside the speech marks, except when quoted within another particular sentence structure (rarely). The preferred style on Lush has the punctuation within the speech marks too, as shown in the Essential Reading section:

http://www.lushstories.com/writing-tips/punctuation.aspx

There is also a more detailed guide here:

http://www.lushstories.com/forum/yaf_postst27829_Formatting-Dialogue.aspx

As Mazza said, the biggest key is consistency, but the above demonstrate the preferred style for this site.

Ut incepit fidelis, sic permanet.

********************************CLICK THE BANNERS TO BUY THESE WILLY-STIFFENING BOOKS!********************************
Dirty_D
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2013 6:32:58 PM

The guide for formatting dialog here was in fact written by someone from the UK, and someone from Canada. Not Americans, although as one trained here in the States, I have no argument with any of it.

Mazza
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2013 6:33:43 PM

Shylass wrote:
I'm in the UK, and I was taught that punctuation in dialogue goes inside the speech marks, except when quoted within another particular sentence structure (rarely). The preferred style on Lush has the punctuation within the speech marks too, as shown in the Essential Reading section:

http://www.lushstories.com/writing-tips/punctuation.aspx

There is also a more detailed guide here:

http://www.lushstories.com/forum/yaf_postst27829_Formatting-Dialogue.aspx

As Mazza said, the biggest key is consistency, but the above demonstrate the preferred style for this site.

I was taught that the punctuation goes inside the quotation marks, except in certain circumstances - the website here explains that in greater detail (I don't recall ever actually using this exception)

http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/quotes.asp

As Daisy said, there are some great resources here on Lush too....

Nothing to see here...
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2013 6:53:50 PM

Thank you for answering my question. As my earlier posted link says, calling them UK vs American versions is a simplistic way as both can be used internationally. Based by these responses, the American version is the accepted one on this site, thank you for satisfying my curiosity.
Buz
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2013 8:42:45 PM

We as story verifiers work hard to familiarize ourselves with both the UK (Commonwealth) versions and the American version of grammar and spellings. We accept both. As long as the dialogue punctuation is consistent it is accepted either way. If it fluctuates between one and then the other, then it needs to be corrected to be consistent.

There are several Lush verifiers representing the UK, Canada, Australia, and the USA. Actually several from each of those English speaking nations. We keep each other informed of our unique differences. Really grammar differences are minimal. Spelling differences are more common, but those are easy to recognize.

Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2013 9:45:17 PM

Buz wrote:
We as story verifiers work hard to familiarize ourselves with both the UK (Commonwealth) versions and the American version of grammar and spellings. We accept both. As long as the dialogue punctuation is consistent it is accepted either way. If it fluctuates between one and then the other, then it needs to be corrected to be consistent.

There are several Lush verifiers representing the UK, Canada, Australia, and the USA. Actually several from each of those English speaking nations. We keep each other informed of our unique differences. Really grammar differences are minimal. Spelling differences are more common, but those are easy to recognize.

Now I'm confused. You say that both are accepted but my friend's story was rejected for using one form and the people who have posted above have pointed at only one being accepted here. I tutor people in English, I know the nuances and differences and also that they are all correct, my question was what is accepted on this website as when people write, it is a matter of personal preference in the form that is used.
overmykneenow
Posted: Monday, November 18, 2013 12:43:23 AM

The Guardian style guide says commas INSIDE the quotation.

Here's a pretty good summary of modern usage in many traditional British publications...

http://www.theguardian.com/media/mind-your-language/2011/may/19/mind-your-language-punctuation-quotations

Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

Why not read some stories instead

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
Buz
Posted: Monday, November 18, 2013 7:09:46 PM

Magma_Boils_333 wrote:

Now I'm confused. You say that both are accepted but my friend's story was rejected for using one form and the people who have posted above have pointed at only one being accepted here. I tutor people in English, I know the nuances and differences and also that they are all correct, my question was what is accepted on this website as when people write, it is a matter of personal preference in the form that is used.

No, what they said was that we approve the consistent use of one or the other. While we most often see the commas inside the quotations, the other version is also considered acceptable. There was probably inconsistency of usage that led to the rejection of your friend's story.

I am an American and I have approved the other UK style several times before. I did ask other mods about that when I first encountered it and they pointed out that it is also correct, but each story must consistently use one or the other throughout.

Posted: Tuesday, November 19, 2013 8:09:55 AM

Thank you for your replies. There seem to be some contradictions as another friend has had a story removed for the same punctuation issue. Yes, they used it consistently throughout the story and yes, it was otherwise well done. The message they got only mentioned the use of punctuation marks outside the quotation marks and they were told it was well written.

I've advised both the person who inspired the original question and my recent friend to use the American version to avoid confusion.
Buz
Posted: Tuesday, November 19, 2013 5:46:52 PM

The punctuation inside the quotations marks is the most common and seems to have the most academic support throughout the English speaking world, so you can't go wrong with using that one. Sorry that there has been some confusion.

Posted: Tuesday, November 19, 2013 6:27:43 PM

Buz wrote:
The punctuation inside the quotations marks is the most common and seems to have the most academic support throughout the English speaking world, so you can't go wrong with using that one. Sorry that there has been some confusion.

I've been told by editors in the past that both are accepted worldwide and that it is a matter of personal preference, but I am capable of accepting the fact that one is favored here. I only posed the question to satisfy my curiosity.