Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Question about rating a story? Options · View
Posted: Tuesday, November 19, 2013 12:22:54 PM

I'm new here and I'm loving the site very much. I love reading so many different stories and I usually will always score them and leave feedback. Sometimes though I run across a real bad one and it really deserves a 3 or less. If I do feel that way I just don't score it all because I feel who am I to judge if a story is really that bad. Am I doing right by not scoring? or should I really score what I think. I just feel bad with the thought of giving someone a low score when they have worked really hard on their story. Plus I'm not a great writer in any means. I guess I have too much of a heart to do it but would writers rather me pass up a score on their story our rather me grade it on how I really see it. Thank you for the feedback on this. Hugs
elizabethblack
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2013 10:09:41 AM

I echo everything you have said. I am anxious to read the replies you receive. Thanks for asking this question.

overmykneenow
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2013 10:24:44 AM

Scoring is one of the most sensitive issues on this place and, for me, the longer I've been here the more meaningless it's become.

Most authors here will tell you that they love scores but what they really value are comments - good or bad. If you think something was lacking - tell them. You're entitled to an opinion and you shouldn't feel constricted in giving it.

You don't have to be a good writer to recognise when something doesn't work. Yes I value the comments made by experienced Lush authors, but I also value the opinions of those who i've never crossed paths with but who have taken the time out to read whatever i've produced.

Of course you have to differentiate between something that's bad and something that's just not your cup of tea. Different people like different things - if it's not your kink, just move on to the next story and leave that one for those that do like that sort of thing.

Hope that helps

Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

Why not read some stories instead

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
Dani
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2013 10:27:49 AM

Scoring can be quite the sensitive subject here on Lush. However, you should score as honestly as you see fit. The scale goes:

5 - Excellent
4 - Good
3 - Average
2 - Fair
1 - Poor

Each score means something different to each author. Everyone appreciates high scores, but others aren't as open to every type of feedback as they think they are. Some authors expect certain scores and are very vocal about them. Most people here take their scores with a grain of salt, especially the ones that are both confident in their work and want to improve and expand their work.

Some people don't care at all about the scores and opt not to have their stories scored. Others turn off their scores because they don't like or appreciate criticism, and there's nothing wrong with this. I appreciate that they're honest enough with themselves to disable scoring altogether whether than be bitter about less than perfect scores.

You're not obligated to do so, but some like feedback on low or average scores so they can improve. It's pretty easy to get a feel for each author and how they feel about certain scores. Some appreciate honest scores, low or high...and some are less than appreciative, so I avoid those authors altogether.

As I said before, you should score as honest as you'd like. If an author wants to know more about why you scored the way you did, they'll ask...but it in no way means you're obligated to score high just to avoid conflict. And if an author truly wants to grow, they'll appreciate any type of feedback.

Granted, some people are rightfully wary of low scores because people exist who are bitter and mean and negative, and they vote down stories just because they can. But they are few and far between because they're handled by admin.

At any rate, follow your instincts and do what you feel is best.

dpw
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2013 11:36:47 AM

queenbrooke wrote:
I'm new here and I'm loving the site very much. I love reading so many different stories and I usually will always score them and leave feedback. Sometimes though I run across a real bad one and it really deserves a 3 or less. If I do feel that way I just don't score it all because I feel who am I to judge if a story is really that bad. Am I doing right by not scoring? or should I really score what I think. I just feel bad with the thought of giving someone a low score when they have worked really hard on their story. Plus I'm not a great writer in any means. I guess I have too much of a heart to do it but would writers rather me pass up a score on their story our rather me grade it on how I really see it. Thank you for the feedback on this. Hugs

When I joined I just read the story and then moved on without leaving a comment or a score. Then I came across a very negative comment on a story that I'd particularly enjoyed, so I left a positive one along with a high score. Since then I score every one that I read but only leave a positive comment, that might mean I say this part was good but you should work on that. I also send pm's to authors rather than post negative comments, it's up to them if they read them.
It doesn't matter whether the category is or isn't my thing, I score on the quality of the writing, the sexual content may be part of the comment but not the score.
If, for example, I read a BDSM story and it gets me hooked but I hate the sexual content do I score it 1 or 2? No it'll get a 5 because it must be good to keep me engrossed.
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2013 12:46:41 PM

I echo what others have said. I don't read come categories because they aren't my thing so it would be unfair of me to read the stories and not enjoy them and then score it low. I never leave low scores because I think you could discourage someone who may grow into a good writer. I prefer to encourage, root for and support writers. However, there are malicious scorers who for some odd reason have too much damn time on their hands if you ask me and should probably enter therapy because why in the world would a stable person do that? Sometimes I see high scored stories that in my opinion are not worthy of the score but I just shrug and then I see some that should be higher scored and try to help them out. I don't really care anymore, I did in the beginning but I am more interested in feedback and improving.

So, I think you should score what you feel but if it is low have the decency to tell the writer why.
DarkSide
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2013 3:06:46 PM

I write for fun, and I would not say that I am a literary genius. I don't really bother with the scores, but if I like something and think it inspired me (even if it had spelling mistakes) then I generally give a 5. As a writer - I prefer comments whether they are good or bad (I much prefer the good ones - but even they mean more when the person says why!)

I have had stories rejected for spelling mistakes and I have found other stories with more mistakes in spelling and grammar than I've had hot dinners. I will give a low score if deserved and I will say why...So if you want to say why - then do it.

Everyone that writes should be mentally prepared for a rejected story or a low score or a bad comment. Do what you feel is right and justified.

I used to be a pervert. In here, I'm normal.
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2013 3:18:44 PM

When it comes to scoring, I enjoy my stories being scored. The biggest reason I enjoy my stories being scored is because it helps me to decide if I want to continue on with that same story or break into a new one.

I especially love the comments (good and bad) because it helps me make my stories better.
Wilful
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2013 3:28:25 PM

As a writer, I want your honest opinion. While it feels nice and strokes my ego, artificially high scoring does me no good. Similarly, not leaving a score or comment gives me no hints on how I can get better.

I'm always looking to improve my writing. If you thought my story and/or the writing was average, then give me a 3. Hell, if you thought it was poor, then spank me with a 1. As others have said though, please let me know why. If you have integrity, and at least try to be thoughtful about your feedback, then I'll respect you for it.

But if you're going to vote bomb me because I mouthed off in a forum, or you don't like the category of story, that's a whole other issue.

Please take a look at my latest story, Banging for Roof.

And for a sexy little rush of Adrenalin, pick yourself up a copy of the Lush Summer anthology.
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2013 4:45:23 PM

For me, the score itself isn't an issue. Whether people give it a five, a four, or whatever makes no difference to me. What I find interesting is the number of people that have bothered to score. I'm as guilty as the next person for not scoring a story if I didn't enjoy it. I would hate to make someone feel bad about something that they have worked on for a long time.
Anyway, I love reading feedback on what I have written, whether it's good or bad. Lush is a democracy, and everyone is entitled to their opinion.
kornslayer1
Posted: Saturday, November 23, 2013 3:22:38 PM

Well, score what you feel. I give Titanic an 'F'. Why, because I hated it. It was long, boring, and drama filled, where it didn't need drama. It was about 2 hours too long, I will NEVER watch it again. Yet, some many millions of people loved it. Why, I don't know. I guess the main thing you gotta remember, is to criticize, and not just write hateful words. There is a HUGE difference.

Feel free to check out any of my stories. I have a few poems too.
https://www.lushstories.com/stories/taboo/the-horror-and-the-loving-lust-collide.aspx
https://www.lushstories.com/stories/love-poems/my-valentines-day-life-sentence.aspx
https://www.lushstories.com/stories/taboo/my-step-brother-wants-me.aspx