Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Do you ever lose interest? Options · View
dpw
Posted: Thursday, January 09, 2014 11:42:43 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 9/15/2013
Posts: 4,458
Location: Liverpool, United Kingdom
Does anyone else get frustrated at having to wait a long time for the next part of a story?
I sometimes lose interest in a story if it's published in parts and the wait is too long, I've even read stories when the author has left without finishing!
How long is too long?
Do you think that authors should wait until they finish the whole story before they submit it, even if it's published in parts?
buttercup2u
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2014 11:01:24 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 10/13/2012
Posts: 439
Location: lost in paradise, United States
I might get a bit annoyed, but heck, I have done it too. Not that I have meant to leave people hanging for so long, but it happens...life sometimes gets in the way...
dpw
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 3:50:18 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 9/15/2013
Posts: 4,458
Location: Liverpool, United Kingdom
buttercup2u wrote:
I might get a bit annoyed, but heck, I have done it too. Not that I have meant to leave people hanging for so long, but it happens...life sometimes gets in the way...

That's why I think the story should be finished before the parts are submitted.
Meggsy
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 4:56:39 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 10/23/2013
Posts: 1,099
Location: Australia
Not really - there is plenty of other stuff to read. If needed I can always go back to the original and review something.
Lets say a week between continuations. I would like to read the comments to see if somebody wants a particular theme developed.
Guest
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 5:41:15 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 689,149
I do not mind the gap in between parts. It keeps your mind thinking and excited. Kind of like a movie trilogy. You know that another one is coming at waiting makes it better.
seeker4
Posted: Monday, January 13, 2014 6:50:11 AM

Rank: Story Verifier
Moderator

Joined: 10/17/2012
Posts: 4,725
Location: Canada
Depends on what we're talking about. If each part is relatively complete with just a hook to hang the next part on, waiting isn't such a big deal. If we're talking something more open ended or, worse, a cliffhanger, then I can see dpw's point. Waiting for something like that to be resolved would be ... bad. Imagine if Lucas had taken twenty years off after Empire Strikes Back before giving us Jedi. People would have been screaming at first at the lack of resolution of the various plot threads that were left hanging at the end of Empire, but eventually would have moved on and lost interest, at least until there was some sure sign it was coming.




One of my rare forays into poetry: An intimate moment surrounded by the sounds of the night

Sounds of the Night

This interview is for a rather different sort of job

Interview with Tina




buttercup2u
Posted: Monday, January 13, 2014 9:05:39 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 10/13/2012
Posts: 439
Location: lost in paradise, United States
dpw wrote:

That's why I think the story should be finished before the parts are submitted.


Just because the story is finished though, doesn't mean that it makes it through verification, or that you are able to get it submitted even. I have a friend whose computers have crashed and he lost all his work that was saved on his computer and he had to start out from scratch.
Frank
Posted: Monday, January 13, 2014 9:15:05 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 11/16/2011
Posts: 11,686
Location: Pleasure dome, United Kingdom

An opportunity for one to revisit the previous parts again.

read2

Of all our inventions for mass communication, pictures still speak the most universally understood language.

Walt Disney

dpw
Posted: Monday, January 13, 2014 9:59:47 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 9/15/2013
Posts: 4,458
Location: Liverpool, United Kingdom
Liger6969 wrote:
I do not mind the gap in between parts. It keeps your mind thinking and excited. Kind of like a movie trilogy. You know that another one is coming at waiting makes it better.

On the other hand a movie can stand alone.
Take this example.
A husband and his sister in law are making out and things are just starting to get steamy when his wife walks in! Then there's a 3 to 6 month wait to find out what happened. Would you lose interest?
xXMister_TXx
Posted: Monday, January 13, 2014 10:27:35 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 11/16/2012
Posts: 125
Location: Germany
I uploaded some multi part stories myself and it really depends. The ones I wrote are usually just as a good as a standalone story so you can fully enjoy that without the follow-up. If you do a cliffhanger part of course people will want more but you can't blame people for not writing the next part sooner so many things can go wrong like real life, computer issues, lack of motivation or verification issues
asleep
Posted: Monday, January 13, 2014 10:56:03 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 12/30/2011
Posts: 3,901
Location: United States
IMHO...a really long story should perhaps be written as a single piece and THEN as part of the editing process be made into 2 or more parts.. Other times, you might have a 'series" etc. that can be spread out, but each story/piece of the series should be 'stand alone" It really depends on what your message/story is about as to how your present it. This is just my humble opinion...your mileage may vary!!

http://www.lushstories.com/stories/love-stories/exit-33-trust.aspx

buttercup2u
Posted: Monday, January 13, 2014 11:02:31 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 10/13/2012
Posts: 439
Location: lost in paradise, United States
Frank wrote:

An opportunity for one to revisit the previous parts again.

read2


LOL, I have to do that sometimes...even if the next part comes out the next day!
buttercup2u
Posted: Monday, January 13, 2014 11:05:49 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 10/13/2012
Posts: 439
Location: lost in paradise, United States
asleep wrote:
IMHO...a really long story should perhaps be written as a single piece and THEN as part of the editing process be made into 2 or more parts.. Other times, you might have a 'series" etc. that can be spread out, but each story/piece of the series should be 'stand alone" It really depends on what your message/story is about as to how your present it. This is just my humble opinion...your mileage may vary!!


I agree with you completely! Especially with each piece of the series being able to stand alone.
bu5ty
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 2:20:31 PM

Rank: Rookie Scribe

Joined: 9/10/2013
Posts: 1
Location: United Kingdom
I don't get annoyed but I do forget to go back to read the next part ! :) However I love to come accross a new set of stories to read, something long that I can get my .... errr not teeth ... hand around :) :).
Metilda
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2014 6:51:17 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 3/10/2013
Posts: 1,268
Location: United States
I stopped publishing pieces by chapter - there's no gaurantee I'll ever finish.

Jasmine_x
Posted: Thursday, February 27, 2014 2:57:55 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 12/10/2012
Posts: 189
Location: Featherstone, United Kingdom
Unless I know I'm going to write a part 2, I try not to leave a gap but most of the time a part 2 is usually a spur of the moment where I think screw it I'll add some more.

ChrissieLecker
Posted: Thursday, February 27, 2014 11:00:29 PM

Rank: Story Verifier
Moderator

Joined: 9/21/2013
Posts: 1,188
Location: Here and there, everywhere, Germany
I don't mind the wait. At least not if the story's to my liking. If everybody waited until they had their story completely finished, we would have to do without some of the most brilliant stories here on lush, e.g. Sprite's absoulte gem "Mrs. Vandermeer's Rules". That one took almost three years between chapters one and six and is currently leaving us dangling on a major cliffy - so what? I, for one, would rather re-read older chapters to get back into the flow of a story after a while than not read it at all.

SITTING
Posted: Friday, February 28, 2014 3:53:26 AM

Rank: Wilful Wallflower
Moderator

Joined: 8/11/2011
Posts: 887
Location: In the library, Leeds, United Kingdom
dpw wrote:
Does anyone else get annoyed at having to wait for the next part of a story?
I sometimes lose interest in a story if it's published in parts and the wait is too long, I've even read stories when the author has left without finishing!
How long is too long?
Do you think that authors should wait until they finish the whole story before they submit it, even if it's published in parts?


When I wrote my first series this did concern me; I took ages between chapters but luckily, a lot of people were interested enough to follow through to the eleventh and final chapter - the entire series spanned over six months.

I think it is best to write the whole thing before publishing otherwise you leave people hanging and lose readers. However, if you're confident you can keep writing with quality AND speed, you could just go chapter by chapter.

Stalker, ballet dancer, obsession...
Guest
Posted: Saturday, March 01, 2014 9:56:19 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 689,149
Okay, I just finished a series about a month ago and it spanned a good month and a half to get it all out. IMO as a writer I understand fully about life getting in the way of my art, but as reader I say if the story's good enough than we'll come back to read it.
seeker4
Posted: Saturday, March 01, 2014 10:08:04 AM

Rank: Story Verifier
Moderator

Joined: 10/17/2012
Posts: 4,725
Location: Canada
This is why I have not really tackled a multiparter or novel yet. I have trouble getting a standalone story done, let alone a series. My poor readers would be left hanging for sure unless I wrote it all upfront and just released it in installments. That's me, though. There likely are authors who could pull it off.

For my part, at most I might do a sequel to a published story if the mood hits me (which it hasn't yet) but I wouldn't leave an ending hanging for one unless I knew it was happening for sure. That said, if I ever have time I do have some ideas that could work as longer pieces (perhaps more novella than novel, though).

One of my rare forays into poetry: An intimate moment surrounded by the sounds of the night

Sounds of the Night

This interview is for a rather different sort of job

Interview with Tina




dpw
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2014 8:18:15 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 9/15/2013
Posts: 4,458
Location: Liverpool, United Kingdom
Kal-El85 wrote:
Okay, I just finished a series about a month ago and it spanned a good month and a half to get it all out. IMO as a writer I understand fully about life getting in the way of my art, but as reader I say if the story's good enough than we'll come back to read it.

If it's all one category then I agree but when it jumps between them I lose track.
Milik_the_Red
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2014 9:39:05 PM

Rank: Internet Philosopher
Moderator

Joined: 8/14/2009
Posts: 4,925
Location: somewhere deep under the Earth, United States
dpw wrote:
Does anyone else get annoyed at having to wait for the next part of a story?
I sometimes lose interest in a story if it's published in parts and the wait is too long, I've even read stories when the author has left without finishing!
How long is too long?
Do you think that authors should wait until they finish the whole story before they submit it, even if it's published in parts?


I'm probably one of the worst offenders of this. My sequels can be months apart. As a writer, I don't blame you for getting annoyed. The only thing I could say is that if I forced it, the result wouldn't be worth reading anyway.


https://www.lushstories.com/stories/reluctance/mallory-monroe-birth-of-a-streetwalker.aspx
Milik_the_Red
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2014 9:40:00 PM

Rank: Internet Philosopher
Moderator

Joined: 8/14/2009
Posts: 4,925
Location: somewhere deep under the Earth, United States
Kal-El85 wrote:
Okay, I just finished a series about a month ago and it spanned a good month and a half to get it all out. IMO as a writer I understand fully about life getting in the way of my art, but as reader I say if the story's good enough than we'll come back to read it.


Yeah, but you are super prolific. I wish I had the ability to write them as half as quickly

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/reluctance/mallory-monroe-birth-of-a-streetwalker.aspx
Aubrey
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2014 10:21:05 PM

Rank: Rookie Scribe

Joined: 1/13/2014
Posts: 4
Location: United States
I know I do. If it takes too long I get bored of waiting and wind up forgetting about it. But then I look back every once in a while and get a lil excited if there is finally an update. That doesn't happen often though. Once I forget it usually stays like that
dpw
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2014 6:55:23 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 9/15/2013
Posts: 4,458
Location: Liverpool, United Kingdom
Milik_The_Red wrote:


I'm probably one of the worst offenders of this. My sequels can be months apart. As a writer, I don't blame you for getting annoyed. The only thing I could say is that if I forced it, the result wouldn't be worth reading anyway.

I should have edited the question, I think annoyed is too strong a word. I really meant frustrated or disappointed. I've also come to find that a mere reference can bring a very good story back to mind.
I still think that a link to a previous chapter should be available at the beginning of a story rather than at the end. That would be much better for the reader.
_mal_
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2014 1:57:41 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 11/27/2010
Posts: 194
Location: Somewhere, United States
I'm probably the worst offender of that gap, last chapter being published a year ago. Writer's block is a bitch.

Suffice it to say, even I'M annoyed at having so many months between chapters. So, I don't think it's too strong a word.

I've noticed that people lose interest after a month or so. I don't think you are alone in being annoyed/disappointed/lost interest/whatever.
SuccubusDreams
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2014 2:46:04 PM

Rank: Advanced Wordsmith

Joined: 10/11/2012
Posts: 57
Location: SF bay area, United States
I would love to see links to all previous chapters at the beginning of a story, then you can start from the beginning or go back and refresh much more easily. It would also be nice if one could edit published stories to include a link to the next chapter at the end rather than the previous one. Just my 2 cents


“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough."- Mae West


Mazza
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2014 2:49:57 PM

Rank: Mazztastic

Joined: 9/20/2012
Posts: 3,272
Location: Scotland, United Kingdom
SuccubusDreams wrote:
I would love to see links to all previous chapters at the beginning of a story, then you can start from the beginning or go back and refresh much more easily. It would also be nice if one could edit published stories to include a link to the next chapter at the end rather than the previous one. Just my 2 cents


I think this is an superb idea and I may be wrong, but I think it has been discussed, or at least a "series" way of linking stories?

I'm an absolute ass for not getting my unfinished series completed - I am working on it, just struggling to write much of anything at all these days...

evil5
Dancing_Doll
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2014 5:15:27 PM

Rank: Alpha Blonde
Moderator

Joined: 2/17/2010
Posts: 6,715
Location: Your dirty fantasy
I have left both a series and a story hanging before - with new instalments mapped out but for a couple of reasons they are still "in the works" (ie. shelved for now). Save for one 'chapter' - all these stories function as stand-alone pieces though, so hopefully it hasn't annoyed anyone that much.

In order to avoid reader fatigue/frustration, I am of the opinion now that stories should be reasonably finished before dropping a first chapter. I think a series can be a little different but for a continued story/plot, yeah - it's best to have it all done.

I'm editing a piece now that's clocked in at around 17,500 wds. I want all my edits done before I post. While it's been blocked into three different parts, I'm now questioning how quickly I should submit these. Waiting can be fun as far as building suspense goes, I guess, but I know that some prefer a more 'meaty reading experience' and may prefer to sit down with all the chapters before diving in.

Is there such a thing as posting too quickly? (ie. one a day?)

Coco
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2014 6:01:55 PM

Rank: Lady of Mystery
Moderator

Joined: 7/22/2011
Posts: 4,987
Location: Fantasy City, United States
Dancing_Doll wrote:
I have left both a series and a story hanging before - with new instalments mapped out but for a couple of reasons they are still "in the works" (ie. shelved for now). Save for one 'chapter' - all these stories function as stand-alone pieces though, so hopefully it hasn't annoyed anyone that much.

In order to avoid reader fatigue/frustration, I am of the opinion now that stories should be reasonably finished before dropping a first chapter. I think a series can be a little different but for a continued story/plot, yeah - it's best to have it all done.

I'm editing a piece now that's clocked in at around 17,500 wds. I want all my edits done before I post. While it's been blocked into three different parts, I'm now questioning how quickly I should submit these. Waiting can be fun as far as building suspense goes, I guess, but I know that some prefer a more 'meaty reading experience' and may prefer to sit down with all the chapters before diving in.

Is there such a thing as posting too quickly? (ie. one a day?)


I try to finish the story and then post it in parts. My series or episode stories are purposely left that way. It's just a matter of preference, but I find if a reader enjoys your story, they'll seek out the other parts.

Doll, perhaps every two days I'd guess. Just don't make them a week apart, I think your fan base wouldn't like that.




Users browsing this topic
Guest 


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS

Powered by Yet Another Forum.net version 1.9.1.6 (NET v4.0) - 11/14/2007
Copyright © 2003-2006 Yet Another Forum.net. All rights reserved.