Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Ick Options · View
WellMadeMale
Posted: Tuesday, April 13, 2010 8:36:37 AM

Most intelligent people are introspective and doubt themselves while many fucktards are proudly over-confident. - a tip of the hat to Charles Bukowski
Algol
Posted: Tuesday, April 13, 2010 8:46:38 AM

WMM you trying to my "Yum! Brands" stock to drop??laughing6

Algol

Posted: Tuesday, April 13, 2010 8:48:52 AM

Posted: Tuesday, April 13, 2010 8:16:26 PM

The chemicals in fast food are pretty disturbing. I'm already a picky eater, and rarely eat fast food. I honestly don't get why people like it so much. I think I'm gonna go vomit now.
Posted: Tuesday, April 13, 2010 8:29:13 PM

I see they picked the poorest countries for the "daily calorie intake".
nicola
Posted: Tuesday, April 13, 2010 9:41:43 PM

People who eat that junk on a regular basis are dicing with death.

I wonder what would happen if governments banned all junk food, that would be interesting. I know it's only one factor, but it would help save the lives of millions of people each year, and cut billions off the cost / burden to the healthcare system.
Dancing_Doll
Posted: Tuesday, April 13, 2010 10:06:15 PM

The "McLobster"...?! I shudder to imagine the salmonella risks associated with that one...

I'll bet they were using the definition of 'lobster' rather loosely on that one though...

mercianknight
Posted: Wednesday, April 14, 2010 5:21:55 AM

Point taken WMM, but please, please, PLEASE, do not post a similar assassination post on Curry Houses. I can live with a Big Mac, but need my Balti's.
Shhh

"Whoa, lady, I only speak two languages, English and bad English." - Korben Dallas, from The Fifth Element

"If history repeats itself, and the unexpected always happens, how incapable must man be of learning from experience?" - George Bernard Shaw
Posted: Wednesday, April 14, 2010 9:41:27 AM

roccotool wrote:
I see they picked the poorest countries for the "daily calorie intake".

Skews it more in their favor.
Posted: Monday, May 03, 2010 7:00:37 PM

Yeah I eat fast food here and there but not often I like it once in a while but damn I haven't heard the name Jack in the Box in years. And I love White Castle burgers though we don't have them round here have to buy them in the super market.
Posted: Monday, May 03, 2010 7:39:35 PM

nicola wrote:
People who eat that junk on a regular basis are dicing with death.

I wonder what would happen if governments banned all junk food, that would be interesting. I know it's only one factor, but it would help save the lives of millions of people each year, and cut billions off the cost / burden to the healthcare system.

You mean no Lays,Ruffles,Cheetos,Pringles,Fast Food and Soda? ooooh snap that would be a big shift for all.. If that happens i bet they'll be eating lots of sweets like candies and chocolate for their unsatisfied cravings...
DamonX
Posted: Monday, May 03, 2010 8:41:21 PM

I have to say...I think fast food has been unfairly blamed for many of the woes of our overconsuming western society. A lot of people jump on the "Supersize Me" bandwagon without really objectively evaluating things. Fast food is a luxury, and should be consumed in moderation just like anything else. Whether you're eating at McDonalds, Denny's or at a fancy restaurant, odds are the caloric and fat content will be off the charts. Check out the nutritional content of anything your eat, and you'll realize that many of the things you think of as "good" are probably not as good as you might think.

My grandma's lasagna conatains more fat and more calories than any meal I could ge at McDonalds, but nobody would ever bat an eye at that. People look down on you if I get a Sausage Mcmuffin for breakfast, but nobody thinks anything if you get a muffin at Starbucks. (even though the muffin has more fat than 2 McDonald's cheeseburgers.)

Like any educated consumer, you have to evaluate what you're buying. Where ever you choose to eat, there are choices to be made. Fast food restaurants actually supply the nutritional information, so you are able to make choices if you so desire. Non-chain restauraunts rarely offer such information. (Neither does my grandma).

If your issue is hygiene...you will face the same issues at any establishment in which someone else prepares our food. (This includes having dinner at your neighbors' house) The only difference is, your neighbor doesn't have regular visits from the the health inspector. When I was younger, I worked in fast food restaurants and in normal restaurants, and I can honestly say that fast food places are quite a bit cleaner. (Chain restaurants usually have sanitary standards that they have to maintain, in order to avoid legal issues) Independant establishments tend to have much more lax regulations. (PS. I will never eat at a chinese-food restaurant ever again).

And please, please, please realize that just because something has a big, fancy scientific name, doesn't mean that it is bad for you! Every substance on earth has a chemical name, because everything on earth is a "chemical". Every food additive is tested before it is legally allowed to be used in food products, so even though the same substance is found in suntan lotion or lubricant, it doesn't mean it is harmful. If I said, "here take this cobalamine hydrochloride and alphatocoferal hydrosulphate" you would be a bit apprehensive right? But if I said "here, take this vitamin E and Vitamin B12" you would have no problem with it.

So before we all jump on the anti-fast food bandwagon, let's take an objective look at things.

I'm just trying to play devil's advocate here...or maybe I'm just stirring the pot. icon_smile
Posted: Tuesday, May 04, 2010 9:44:52 AM

We all know that your grandma's lasagna is bad for you. *just kidding* But the thing is you don't eat it everyday. People are using McDonalds and other "fast" food chains as their cooks. Another member, fystee, said in the "what's for dinner" thread that she worked 10 hours and then sat through 3 hours of baseball practice. Once home, where's the time for prep and healthy food? Where's the will to even try to do it? It's much easier to drive thru somewhere and have it over with. Also, have you seen the prices of eating healthy? Compare the prices of fresh produce and meats and then look at a value menu at a fast food place. That's not even counting "supersizing" anything.
Posted: Tuesday, May 04, 2010 10:31:50 AM

Shit how did our Grandparents do it before fast food and microwaves came around ya know? I mean hell my Grandpa worked 10 hour days and he coached the baseball team among building his own house my grandma helped him and she still managed to cook damn good meals from scratch no less so it can be done ya know? As said for me I still like a good McDs once in a while but going back when I did eat it all the time several times a day I was purely run down and didn'tknow why but as one guy said on the radio I listen to a Doctor no less he said it right there is NO such thing as a bad food it's how much you eat of said food that really matters. It's called MODERATION people lol it's really that easy.
castlequeen
Posted: Tuesday, May 04, 2010 12:47:41 PM

Interesting post and opinions. Damon's got the right of it though. Moderation is the whole key to it. We like to dine out but we try to pace ourselves and only "go for it" as far as steaks or really unhealthy things once in awhile. But don't let anyone tell you that "fast" food has to be unhealthy. I figured out a ton of healthy easy to make meals that take a whopping 3 minutes or so to make, far less time than sitting in the drive through, listening to the clerk attempt to make sense of your order through the .39 cent sound system! Take one of my favorites; Hubby and I both love a good Philly cheesesteak, however, they are horribly fatty and full of sodium. I take Morningstar's vegetarian "steak" strips and wrap them up in portions right out of the bag, take one portioned package, microwave for 55 seconds while toasting the whole wheat bun, place the strips on the bottom bun, put some low-fat or fat free cheese on top, add the veggies and microwave for another 20 seconds, add a low fat sauce (mayo, chipotle, whatever) on the top bun, and eat! Easy to prepare, quite healthy as far as fat and calories, and tasty. I figured it out that one sandwich costs about .93, too, much cheaper than a Big Mac. We could go for Mongolian Grill at 9 bucks a head, or I can prepare one myself for about 2 bucks a shot, using vegetarian "chicken strips", and I know there's no MSG added to MY sauce. Takes only slightly longer than the sandwich to make...put a little effort into reading ingredient lists and you can go healthier without spending a ton of time or money.

"A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere." - Groucho Marx
LadyX
Posted: Wednesday, May 05, 2010 11:51:13 AM

McDonalds and the rest of the fast food chains aren't the worst of it, though they all put out some pretty bad shit. Is it any more calories than mom's lasagna, or enchiladas, or any other home made food? Maybe not, but if it's from scratch it has a hell of a lot less artificial preservatives- and I'm sorry but I don't believe that more processed ingredients are just as good for you as more natural ingredients.

But back to what is the worst- the worst are the corner chicken shacks, burger joints, barbecue places. They are cheaper than McDonalds and those places, and greasier, full of transfats and cholesterol- and just like you mentioned Fystee and the fact that she has no time to make big meals for her kids. Same thing- these places make all their money on broken or 2 income families short on time and money.

Even if buying healthy groceries was just as cheap, which a lot of the time it isn't, it's a matter of time too. I can tell you, growing up, that it was cheaper to get a sack of chicken, or burgers, or whatever; and besides just loading up on white bread and cheap ass lunch meat, there was no way we could grocery shop meals as cheap as we could buy them in enough quantity to have dinner. We still did sometimes because eating fried and grease-baked crap every day forces you to splurge to avoid sickness once in a while.

Life in this country for people without extra money leaves cheap fast food the most affordable option a lot of the time, thats why its hard to believe that people really truly think "why are they picking on fast food? Can't people control their own behavior??"

Well, yes lots of people try to, but it would be good to have the government help out with that some. Maybe not ban anything, but something to help would be good for society. You want transfats? Buy some lard and cook it on your patio for yourself maybe. Sure, you can overeat anything you put in front of you, but less transfats and fried crap means less obesity and health costs that the government and everyone else picks up sooner or later. Some of this shit that the big fast food chains sell is almost predatory. They want you to be fat and crave whatever meal number is your favorite. They want you from when you are a toddler, so you want that toy, then grow up being a McDonalds or Burker King customer your whole life.

outline chalk sold separately.

DamonX
Posted: Wednesday, May 05, 2010 7:59:28 PM

Wow, I was expecting my comments to cause a bit more of an uproar. I'm presently surprised.

Yeah, don't get me wrong. I'm not saying fast food is good. But...the main problem in western diets, is that we generally consume too many calories. (Especially North America). If you actually record what you eat and then see how many calories, you'll see. Lots of things are worse than you think. For example, I have a lot of friends that regularly eat at subway becuase they see it as "healthy". But if you calculate the amount of fat and calories in a foot long sub (meat, sauce, cheese) it usually works out being quite a bit more than a McDonald's meal.

People often worry about things like...how how many mgs of alpha-linoleic acid they are getting, but tend to ignore the most important factors. How much you are eating!

Look to the Japanese. They are the best example of a developed nation that consumes a relatively low calorie diet. They are the healthiest people in the world, have the longest life spans and low rates of obesity.

If you do choose to eat at a fast food restaurant (as I do now and then) here are a few basic rules to follow.

1. Avoid mayonaise-based sauces. This is actually the main culprit for increased fat and calories in burgers(not the meat, as some may think).

2. No fries! You'd be better off getting a couple burgers than adding a side of fries. It's almost a reflex in our society to get "fries with that," and one that I wish could be broken. The profit mark-up on fries is huge, which is why restaurants push them on us. Cut out the fries and you'll decrease your caloric intake substantially.

3. No soft drinks (Diet is ok). You would be amazed how many excess calories you can consume by drinking a large soda. Especially in the US where the sizes are ridiculously huge. A big gulp for example, contains about 1/3 - 1/2 of your daily caloric intake. Juices are just as bad by the way.

4. Getting extra lettuce or tomatoes on your burger will not make a damn difference. (other than costing you an extra 25-60 cents)

Of course, if you want to splurge once an a while, then no harm done. Eating like pig once in a while will not make a difference. Sometimes, I'll gorge myself on cheeseburgers. I just limit what I eat for the rest of the day and don't make it a habit.

happy1 happy1 happy1 happy1 happy1
Posted: Wednesday, May 05, 2010 8:11:26 PM

I just don't want fecal bacteria in my fountain drink. Is that too much to ask?
Posted: Thursday, May 06, 2010 1:27:33 PM

roccotool wrote:
I just don't want fecal bacteria in my fountain drink. Is that too much to ask?

Happens more than you think. It's all over paper money too.
Magical_felix
Posted: Thursday, May 06, 2010 6:52:58 PM

I agree with some of the posters above that the fast food chains aren't the sole cause of obesity around the world. People can chose to eat fast food or not, no one is forcing them.

What does annoy me though is the way McDonalds advertises on kids shows. They show kids how fun and awesome it is to get a happy meal with a toy and everything. The kids want it and beg the parents forcing Mom and Dad to be the bad guy and say no. Try to get a 4 year old to understand that you don't want to feed them McDonalds for their own good, especially if their friends get McDonalds on a regular basis.