Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

"Recommended Read" Requirements Options · View
Buz
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2014 7:55:06 AM

dpw wrote:

I don't think you should set your stall out by the RR award, it's just a mod happens to like a particular story, an EP however is a real accolade.

Actually, we as story mods do not hand out RRs lightly at all or just because we 'like' a story. Our goal is award a story that is exceptional. If the story is truly outstanding on a superior level in our opinion, we then nominate the RR'd story for an EP. If I like the story I'll vote and comment. If it's excellent I'll rave, if it's above that it will get an RR. If the story is among the best of the best in my opinion I will nominate it for an EP.

I can honestly say, that when I've awarded an RR, I feel like I am breaking out into a nervous sweat. I only award a story or poem if I truly feel that is is deserving, no matter who the author is. Before clicking that box, I ask myself if I will be criticized for my decision. Then I go back over the story or poem and reread it, making sure that it meets the criteria. It is not an easy decision.

I will continue to make the hard decisions and award an RR when I think the story deserves it. I have nominated several stories for EPs and I have a pretty good batting average on nominating stories that receive the award.

Being a story mod is certainly no easy task, it's actually damn hard work. We make difficult decisions everyday on whether stories can be verified or rejected. Of course many writers make that task easy when they write and submit quality material. We have to be aware of all the site rules and we read each story for grammar acceptability and rules violations.

If you receive an RR you will earn it.

JuneFernan
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2014 9:23:35 AM

naughtyannie wrote:

Please don't associate me with this post. I don't think this is true at all. I have lots of Mods on my friends list, usually because they're also great writers whose work I enjoy. And I would be mortified if I thought I was given preferential treatment for this reason - and as you can see, I haven't!

Most of the posts in response to my original one have been respectful and thoughtful - let's keep it that way, please.

Well, I'll be honest. I'm quite surprised to see that you haven't gotten one yet.

stephanie
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2014 5:31:56 PM

My first post since being off Mod-Squad... (So I can say what I like, BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!!) But seriously...

Working Lush Story Mods process so many DOZENS of stories in a week (at times) , (most of them returns) that the RR label allows them to to mark something that (a) THEY THINK is worthy of special note to a wider general readership and (b) THEY THINK is worthy of a look by Senior Mods who might consider EP...

Story Modding can be thankless work, and WHEN you come across a JEWEL it's GREAT to be able to RR it... (If I'm not mistaken, most RRs are awarded at the point where they are first approved by a Mod...)

They ARE subjective BUT... There is no ONE CRITERIA that makes a great Lush Story. We have many readers of different tastes. (Indeed, we have MODERATORS of different tastes...) but the RR category allows a moderator, (chosen for ability and talent incidentally) to say, "I ESPECIALLY like this and feel MY READERS might like it especially too...."

That's what an RR is...

xx Steph

(They're not given away lightly, BTW...)

"Stirring Up The Smooth Sands Of Monotony Since 1967." xx SF
HeraTeleia
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2014 7:06:21 PM

JuneFernan wrote:
A recommended read is usually just an indicator of how many mods are on your friends list and how often you post in the forums or give soaring praise on other stories. Make yourself look popular on this site and you'll get RR's. At least that's the way it seems to me. Maybe I'm just bitter that none of my stories got it. :(

At the time that I received the RR, I had exactly zero mods on my friend list, had posted very little on the forums and had not commented on or scored any story. I believe I now have two mods on my friend list, both of whom sent FR's to me. I still have not commented on or scored any story. As far as making myself "look popular"...not even sure how one would go about accomplishing that feat.

My first story, a Recommended Read: http://www.lushstories.com/stories/flash-erotica/my-favourite-word.aspx

Want it all? Masturbation, exhibitionism, seduction, and of course, sex? Read "Tension", a Recommended Read: http://www.lushstories.com/stories/straight-sex/tension-1.aspx

Dirty_D
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2014 7:33:30 PM

HeraTeleia wrote:

At the time that I received the RR, I had exactly zero mods on my friend list, had posted very little on the forums and had not commented on or scored any story. I believe I now have two mods on my friend list, both of whom sent FR's to me. I still have not commented on or scored any story. As far as making myself "look popular"...not even sure how one would go about accomplishing that feat.

Note my previous post :) good writing attracts!
NymphWriter
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2014 9:05:38 PM

JuneFernan wrote:
A recommended read is usually just an indicator of how many mods are on your friends list and how often you post in the forums or give soaring praise on other stories. Make yourself look popular on this site and you'll get RR's. At least that's the way it seems to me. Maybe I'm just bitter that none of my stories got it. :(

Really?!? Is this what you think? So, I earned my 4 RRs because I'm friends with Mods?!? Um... NO! I think only my last RR was from a Mod who is on my friend's list. I EARNED my RRs from years of writing and improving my craft. I may not like all the stories that have earned an RR, but I sure as hell don't think it was because they were given because the writer was a friend with a Moderator.

And so you know, of the few RRs I've given... only one was to a friend. The other was to a writer who wrote an amazing piece of literature.

sprite
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2014 9:18:34 PM

i am actually pretty stingy with RRs. not only that, but if i am giving a non mod an RR, it usually means that they're in my radar for asking them to join the team - so yeah, eventually, people with RRs end up as mods, so the process is actually backwards. recently i have Chrisse Lecker a couple of RRs. this was before i knew her and before she was a mod. since then, i have gotten to know her and consider her a friend. see? you really have the process backwards.

oh, one other thing. i've been on this site for over 4 years now, i think. i've been a mod for a good portion of that time. i got my first EP for winning a contest. i think it says a lot about the quality of my entry to tell you that Jaymal took second place to my first. it was 3 years before i received an actual nomination for an EP beyond that, and i consider myself a pretty decent writer. it happens, sometimes. for whatever reason, sometimes it takes a bit to get the recognition you think you, or someone else, deserves. btw, my first 2 non contest EPs were nominated by Nicola. it took me, one of the senior mods, until this year to get something passed (i've had one or 2 stories voted down as well) for an award.

think about that. i'm fairly well known here, i've written close to 100 stories, i'm a senior mod, i've known everyone in admin forever, and i'm even on the EP panel, and yet, with all those pluses, it took me close to 4 years to get an award from my peers. so much for favoritism, right? and you know something? when it happened, it felt pretty damn sweet, cause it wasn't easy.

so, yeah, sometimes it just takes time to properly recognize stories and authors. if you're good, if you deserve one, though, it will happen.

:)
rach

Live, love, laugh.
naughtyannie
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2014 10:14:34 PM

Can someone remind me when RRs started? I'm sure it was since I joined Lush in 2011. The list of them goes back before then, so I guess there's been a bit of post-dated recommending.

Click on the link below to visit my profile page, for award-winning filthy stories and arousing pics. Go on, it's just one click.

You know you want to...

http://www.lushstories.com/naughtyannie

You don't know what you're missing 'til you try it
clum
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2014 3:35:03 AM

naughtyannie wrote:
Can someone remind me when RRs started? I'm sure it was since I joined Lush in 2011. The list of them goes back before then, so I guess there's been a bit of post-dated recommending.

As I recall, it was early 2013 or late 2012. I'll see if I can dig out a more concrete answer from the archives.

But yes, some of them were awarded retrospectively, especially to those stories that just missed out on being awarded an EP.

She Just Wants To Be

Third place entry in the Toy With Me competition.
AbigailThornton
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2014 3:37:18 AM

naughtyannie wrote:

From memory, I think it was May 2013.

As well as looking at new stories, mods browse through the other 27 000 stories on the site. The job means that we're looking for problems to fix, but if we come across something we think is worthy of an RR, we can award it.

clum
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2014 3:41:37 AM

AbigailThornton wrote:
From memory, I think it was May 2013.

As well as looking at new stories, mods browse through the other 27 000 stories on the site. The job means that we're looking for problems to fix, but if we come across something we think is worthy of an RR, we can award it.

The earliest record I can find of a story having been awarded a Recommended Read is 29th April 2013.

She Just Wants To Be

Third place entry in the Toy With Me competition.
stephanie
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2014 3:48:15 AM

sprite wrote:
i am actually pretty stingy with RRs. not only that, but if i am giving a non mod an RR, it usually means that they're in my radar for asking them to join the team - so yeah, eventually, people with RRs end up as mods, so the process is actually backwards. recently i have Chrisse Lecker a couple of RRs. this was before i knew her and before she was a mod. since then, i have gotten to know her and consider her a friend. see? you really have the process backwards.

oh, one other thing. i've been on this site for over 4 years now, i think. i've been a mod for a good portion of that time. i got my first EP for winning a contest. i think it says a lot about the quality of my entry to tell you that Jaymal took second place to my first. it was 3 years before i received an actual nomination for an EP beyond that, and i consider myself a pretty decent writer. it happens, sometimes. for whatever reason, sometimes it takes a bit to get the recognition you think you, or someone else, deserves. btw, my first 2 non contest EPs were nominated by Nicola. it took me, one of the senior mods, until this year to get something passed (i've had one or 2 stories voted down as well) for an award.

think about that. i'm fairly well known here, i've written close to 100 stories, i'm a senior mod, i've known everyone in admin forever, and i'm even on the EP panel, and yet, with all those pluses, it took me close to 4 years to get an award from my peers. so much for favoritism, right? and you know something? when it happened, it felt pretty damn sweet, cause it wasn't easy.

so, yeah, sometimes it just takes time to properly recognize stories and authors. if you're good, if you deserve one, though, it will happen.

:)
rach

Echo this.

(I was a Senior Mod for Four Years. I'm a VERY good writer. I don't have an EP. AND I was on the EP panel for much of that time. There are NO "cliques" at Lush Stories when it comes to awards. Trust me...)

Incidentally, I was ONCE nominated for an EP but it wasn't carried in the end... Just goes to show...

xx Steph

(I WISH there fucking was... *laughs!*)

Mazza
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2014 3:59:19 AM

stephanie wrote:

Echo this.

(I was a Senior Mod for Four Years. I'm a VERY good writer. I don't have an EP. AND I was on the EP panel for much of that time. There are NO "cliques" at Lush Stories when it comes to awards. Trust me...)

xx Steph

You had an EP for Client...

argue
Will_greybeard
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2014 5:15:45 AM

I was just pleased, and surprised, to get a Recommended Read. My motto is just enjoy the plaudits that come your way with modesty and graciousness, and don't get too hung up about it.

My latest poems and stories. Please comment if you enjoyed them.
http://www.lushstories.com/stories/love-poems/walking-among-daffodils.aspx
http://www.lushstories.com/stories/love-poems/love-reborn.aspx
http://www.lushstories.com/stories/exhibitionism/club-exstasis.aspx
http://www.lushstories.com/stories/wife-lovers/the-summerhouse-annes-story.aspx

stephanie
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2014 6:25:17 AM

Mazza wrote:

You had an EP for Client...

argue

Yeah, but some biddy who co-wrote it got it in the divorce!!!!! (*Bwahahahaha!!!!*)

(Technically I had HALF an EP!!!!!)

MWAH!

xx SF

NymphWriter
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2014 8:42:08 PM

stephanie wrote:

Echo this.

Incidentally, I was ONCE nominated for an EP but it wasn't carried in the end... Just goes to show...

xx Steph

Steph is an amazing writer! RR's are staff picks. Stories we feel others might like to read & enjoy. Just because a Mod picks a story for an RR, doesn't mean everyone will like it.

overmykneenow
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2014 6:52:38 AM

The only problem with RRs is that while the decision to award one is from an individual mod, the accountability is brought on to the mods as a collective. Any criticism for the actions of individuals just gets pointed at the system as a whole.

When the system was introduced I suggested that the RR should publicly show who it was recommended by. I know this would never be acceptable because it would cause even more problems and accusations than the present system, but any reward system that is, on the outside at least, opaque and unaccountable will tend towards creating accusations (rightly or wrongly) of favouritism and corruption.

I can fully understand how the admins and verifiers here find the "system's bent" narrative tiresome, insulting and just downright ungrateful but that doesn't mean that those on the outside of the system should take their eyes off the ball at any time or stop questioning why things happen in a certain way.

What's seen as "subjective" to one person can be "arbitrary" to another. Basing the award of an RR by the number of straight 5s it get is just daft, especially for poems. A lot of them are just sob stories about being jilted by some internet lover. Of course they attract 5s, what else are they going to get? "Hmmm, I think I'll give you 3/5 - could grieve harder"

I know many of the mods will disagree but it is my opinion that "putting yourself out there" will attract more awards. For the majority of writers the only mod who will ever see their story will be the verifier - if they don't wow her it's unlikely anyone else will read it and give the award. The more aware mods are aware of your work - be it through being on your friends list or by your presence on the site in general - the more of them are likely to read it. Each time one reads it you get another chance that someone will like it enough to click the button.

Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

Why not read some stories instead

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
JuneFernan
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2014 10:24:26 AM

Well I was going to leave this topic alone since my first post in it pissed enough people off, and I know all of them are going to disagree, but I guess I should clarify what I meant. I don't think there's any outright conspiracy or purposeful backscratching that happens in the process, I just think it's very subject to bias. I'm assuming the story verifier knows who the author is when they read the submission, since no one has stated otherwise. So when a mod comes across a submission by someone whose work they've enjoyed before, their eyes perk up and they expect to see high quality writing. And the reverse can happen with submissions from new members on the site, especially if the mod is tired from reading a few bad submissions and their eyes are glazed over. It's the placebo effect in the form of judging writing. If you think this is entirely impossible, then you should read a little bit of psychology.

Of course, a submission has to be above a certain threshold of quality to get the RR, but the threshold seems lower for the well-known members who've already gotten some accolades. Yes, maybe their earned their attention with good writing, but it's not as important for them to replicate the same level of quality to get the RR again.

Like I said, this is just my opinion. I don't particularly spend a lot of time scrutinizing recommended reads or caring who gets them, so maybe I'm totally uninformed. It's also possible that some mods have a bias against well-known members on the site because they're afraid of hearing the sort of criticism above. It doesn't really need to be a refined system if no one's making money off it. And, of course, I appreciate the mods for spending their time reading through the slush pile of Lush. From now on we should call it the Lush Slush. laughing6
Dirty_D
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2014 11:08:40 AM

JuneFernan wrote:
Well I was going to leave this topic alone since my first post in it pissed enough people off, and I know all of them are going to disagree, but I guess I should clarify what I meant. I don't think there's any outright conspiracy or purposeful backscratching that happens in the process, I just think it's very subject to bias. I'm assuming the story verifier knows who the author is when they read the submission, since no one has stated otherwise. So when a mod comes across a submission by someone whose work they've enjoyed before, their eyes perk up and they expect to see high quality writing. And the reverse can happen with submissions from new members on the site, especially if the mod is tired from reading a few bad submissions and their eyes are glazed over. It's the placebo effect in the form of judging writing. If you think this is entirely impossible, then you should read a little bit of psychology.

Of course, a submission has to be above a certain threshold of quality to get the RR, but the threshold seems lower for the well-known members who've already gotten some accolades. Yes, maybe their earned their attention with good writing, but it's not as important for them to replicate the same level of quality to get the RR again.

Like I said, this is just my opinion. I don't particularly spend a lot of time scrutinizing recommended reads or caring who gets them, so maybe I'm totally uninformed. It's also possible that some mods have a bias against well-known members on the site because they're afraid of hearing the sort of criticism above. It doesn't really need to be a refined system if no one's making money off it. And, of course, I appreciate the mods for spending their time reading through the slush pile of Lush. From now on we should call it the Lush Slush. laughing6

**first of all a disclaimer, I am no longer a story mod**

well, yes. when you do write to a certain standard, you get that reputation not only amongst mods, but amongst the general readership as well. The Frank Lee's, Dancing Doll's, jaymal's, and Sprite's (just to name a few) are of such a standard that before you click you know that they are going to be polished, well crafted works. But this doesn't mean that new writers are not also awarded accolades. I remember seeing the very first story from Alexander_A (she has since removed it) It stood out to me as a wonderful piece, original, and polished. I then awarded it an RR. I didn't know her or her writing at the time. But I knew good writing. Possibly has mentioned that her first piece was awarded an RR. The same thing happened with several other writers.

The biggest flaw I have seen with new writers that holds them back is that their work tends to lack polish. If I saw a piece that has to be returned, and then returned again, and again for corrections, it would be unlikely that the piece would be awarded an RR, no matter how good the content was.An RR should be a top piece with little to no corrections being needed. Many pieces here are returned multiple times before they are published. (this also leads to multiple mods reading it, for OMKN) Of course the general readership cannot tell how much revision was needed.

I can tell you I had been a story mod for quite some time before I ever received an RR. And it took years of writing to achieve an EP. I dont automatically receive RR's, and neither does anyone else. Look those authors I named above. They are some of the best of the site, award winners all. Yet, none of them has awards for every story.