Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Honestly... (Are YOU a little bit Racist?) Options · View
purpleshade
Posted: Wednesday, June 4, 2014 9:12:53 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 11/25/2012
Posts: 449
Location: In The Library, United Kingdom
Perhaps "Culture" is more important to people, rather than ""race". The latter is subjective, as opposed to objective, since all people are human.

There can be an uneasy feeling, when new immigrants come over, and have different standards.

Anti social behaviour is bad and unacceptable on all levels; whether homegrown, or imported.

Mass immigration, especially unskilled/ unqualified can bring many problems, but prooer screening brings benefits too.

I'm comfortable with my Western culture; I'm uncomfortable with anti-social behaviour, whether the person is white, or a slightly darker shade of white...

'Keeping Mum' ... Please take a moment to read ... Thanks.
LadyX
Posted: Wednesday, June 4, 2014 10:14:41 AM

Rank: Artistic Tart
Moderator

Joined: 9/25/2009
Posts: 4,804
stephanie wrote:

The first time I undress Samantha, the first Black Girl I have ever dated, I am SPEECHLESS at the contrast of her white underwear against her skin. I LITERALLY pause at the sight of A BEAUTY I HAVE NEVER SEEN BEFORE... She looks so EXOTIC to my eyes that I am momentarily removed from a SEXUAL moment and can only look in beautiful wonder. She actually asks what's wrong...


Objectification through exoticism. Lots of people equate that with racism; I can't quite go that far with it. I think it can be really creepy (like the guys that are "into" Asian girls; try unpacking the 'why's of that fetish sometime, then go take a shower, you'll feel like you need one), and it can be innocuous and involuntary (as in your case).
.
stephanie wrote:

Am I a little bit racist?

Yes I am. For the different, the unfamiliar, the UNKNOWN unsettles, unbalances and asks questions I can't easily answer.


That's actually not racism, that's xenophobia.

-

The word, and the accusation of, racism gets thrown out a lot. I think it's important to call things out when they're wrong, and eradicate them from the mainstream as quickly as possible. On the other hand, the dominance of PC and general loss of sense of humor about anything has taken it a bit too far. Also, as I pointed out above, not everything is racism exactly.

If I were the arbiter of what term gets used where, I think I'd reserve the charge of Racist and Racism for the truly and intentionally vile discriminatory words and actions. A lot of people say unacceptable things without knowing better (like a customer of mine who calls me "the prettiest oriental girl he's ever seen") or realizing that they're making other groups of people very uncomfortable. And we all have biases, but bias isn't necessarily racism.




LASARDaddy
Posted: Wednesday, June 4, 2014 11:08:30 AM

Rank: Story Verifier

Joined: 7/22/2013
Posts: 905
Location: Windsor, United States
I love words and have come to believe that they are our "Real" Gods.

"Racism" is hard to get. If I hate you simply because you're "Black" I'm a racist. All of the rest is a cultural difference that you can overcome.

My uncle (Paul too) hated the Japanese. Not because they were Asian, yellow skinned, slant-eyed or any other thing. Just because they were Japanese and he lost many friends during the war. He spent the last 30 years of his life terrified every time he heard an airplane. It wasn't the people, it was the government.

We are ALL prejudice in some way and it is not bad. It's only bad when you use it to justify an unreasoning hatred simply because they're black or Asian or any other peolple easily identify able like that. Mostly that's nothing but ignorance.

Temple Grandon said, "I am not less, just different." Look her up, she's one of my hero's.

I think sweet potatoes and pumpkin pie are so disgusting that I'd have a difficult time surviving if that's all I had to eat, but many love them. I do not like people from cultures where a human life carries little value, where children are abused and where women are treated like property, but I've had many friends that were from them. Most women are brought up to be subservient and that is just another euphemism for "Slavery".

But I AM NOT a racist. I don't hate all pies because of it. I don't hate all potatoes either.

My mother never allowed us to be that way even though she always thought black people were of a lower evolutionary order. She grew up in Kansas and Nebraska during the early part of the last century and was taught that. She did learn that it was wrong and never allowed it with us but you can not get completely rid of that training. I've admired her for that since I learned about life and people.

I like all people, women, black, brown, yellow, red, whatever. Each is different and I have preferences, we all do, and I am not "Racist" because I like the contrasts. I loved it when I was younger and looking around, tanned to a nice light brown (dumb thing in retrospect) and my hands were on a pale, white skin. I love my pale hands on darker skin and that can be just a tan. I do like tan lines.

Sometimes we are not taught the necessary skills of tolerance, care and consideration, things that allow us to talk and learn about the differences. When you talk though, if it's not at least 50% "Listening" it's a lecture or a lesson.

I am always a gentleman.
Magical_felix
Posted: Wednesday, June 4, 2014 11:09:15 AM

Rank: Wild at Heart

Joined: 4/3/2010
Posts: 7,773
Location: California
Everyone is a lil racist. It is the way our brains work wether you like it or not. Our brains compartmentalize everything, including people. If our brains didn't do that we'd have a hard time grasping the world in general.

I am actually leery of people that say they are absolutely not racist at all, and that they don't see skin color or culture, or hold no prejudices. It makes me feel like they are dishonest or overly politically correct without really believing what they say or that they are actively racist and are just saying that to cover up a feeling they have that they might think others notice.

Of course where the problem is how you deal with these thoughts and to what extant you have them. Everyone has had an unjust thought about someone based on race, the way they dress, hair style tattoos, speech pattern ect. You are an actual racist, or can be called one if you have ever not hired someone because of their race or not tipped a waitress because of her race or something like that.

Merely having a racist thought is not being a racist. It's like the difference between stealing a glance at a girl's ass as she walks by and grabbing her or worse. One is a normal sometimes involuntary action, the other is a violation and you would then be a sexual predator.

Guest
Posted: Wednesday, June 4, 2014 3:03:14 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 784,657
She wrote:



Obviously I misunderstood that, sorry, I google what the fly the Union Jack means, but you already replied. My snide comment was a wee off.
I am not really sure why you are asked not to fly it in your home and in your country since I have never visited Kingdom during the world cup, however your fans do have quite specific reputation worldwide. Maybe they just want you to tone it down a bit?? For sure I know that no one can fly a flag of their country in another country, maybe they wanted to say that?





It's okay, I wasn't offended by your comment. However I am left wondering why indeed you needed to post it. During the 1970's and 1980's we did have a very poor reputation wherever our fans went and it got so bad that our teams were banned from European competition for a number of years. Thankfully this was long before I was born and those years have long since passed.

Unfortunately other European countries have now taken up the mantel of violence and racism and I hope that if it continues, then they too get dealt with as severely as we were. Four years ago my brother came back from Sheffield University having just got his Degree. With him he brought a friend to stay with us for a few days Christian - a young German student on his way back to Germany having also got his degree. In conversation about the difference in our countries he stated that when a job becomes available in Germany, it is almost certain to go to a German applicant - I wonder if people elsewhere would class that as racism.

It's a shame that the example you put forward about our fans is how you should see us. The fans that attended those matches during that era were typical of the small minded following that didn't support our teams - but just went along for the trouble they could cause. They cared not at all about the teams or genuine fans that traveled to support their teams.
It has however been our teams that have suffered much racism to our black players when playing in European competitions over the las five years.

Our country and people have been let down by a a very small minority and should not be seen as an example of what British people are like. Other foreign people who have been living here for years would testify to that.

It just seems that it's that same old clichéd tale where a guy driving along breaking the speed limit hits a pedestrian killing them - sent to prison for a few years and after being released he saves three lives dragging people from a burning house.......

he'll always be known as the guy that ran over and killed a pedestrian. never the guy who saved three lives.
DanielleX
Posted: Wednesday, June 4, 2014 3:38:49 PM

Rank: Blonde Bombshell
Moderator

Joined: 11/6/2011
Posts: 3,984
Location: Liverpool, United Kingdom
I'm never 100% sure what people mean by racist.

However, if it means, do I make value judgements, and/or decisions influenced by the colour of someone's skin, then no, I'm not racist.






My Competition entry is up! Click the photo to read




Pixie
Posted: Wednesday, June 4, 2014 5:26:38 PM

Rank: Flutterby Pharie

Joined: 9/27/2007
Posts: 5,980
Location: Never, Never Land, United States
I don't believe I am racists. To me, all people are beautiful regardless of their skin color. I don't judge people because of their culture, skin color or religion. Now, I will tell you this. My brother in law is the most racist fucker you will ever meet. He believes in what Hitler did, he believes that african american people have no place and he is raising his daughter to have the same beliefs. He wanted to move here (I am in Arkansas) because we don't have many african americans here and he wants his daughter no where around them. In a way I suppose I am racist towards him, but I believe that all of his reasons are wrong. He literally makes me sick with his beliefs. Am I racist because I don't believe the same things he does? Am I racist because I want my niece brought up to believe that ALL people are equal? No, I don't think I am.

♥ Listen, touch, and look around in the air and on the ground. If you watch all nature's things, you might just see a fairy's wings. ♥
Guest
Posted: Wednesday, June 4, 2014 5:26:44 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 784,657


Well, well, well...

Once again the comments of fellow members, (honest, forthright, illuminating) prove to me the OTHER reason I visit Lushville on a daily basis... Because it is a community of people who know how to THINK... (And teach ME to...)

Thank you EVERYONE for your input. I'm GENUINELY grateful for your thoughts here on this one...

xx Steph

(@Sprite... Irish people ARE Cunts... But we are CHARMING cunts... Well, MOST of the time...)



dpw
Posted: Wednesday, June 4, 2014 10:21:28 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 9/15/2013
Posts: 4,464
Location: Liverpool, United Kingdom
stephanie wrote:

(@Sprite... Irish people ARE Cunts... But we are CHARMING cunts... Well, MOST of the time...)

With the gift of the gab, lol.
Guest
Posted: Wednesday, June 4, 2014 10:54:00 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 784,657
Not even a little bit. Cool people are Cool People!!!
Mazza
Posted: Thursday, June 5, 2014 10:39:44 AM

Rank: Mazztastic

Joined: 9/20/2012
Posts: 3,349
Location: Scotland, United Kingdom
Guest
Posted: Thursday, June 5, 2014 11:02:36 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 784,657
Mazza wrote:


Bearing in mind that you're a Tall, Intelligent, Protestant, Opinionated, No-Nonsense, Practical, SCOTTISH, girly-only-when-you-feel-like-it, occasionally cantankerous almighty fuck of a woman....

"WHY ARE WE FRIENDS????"

xx SF
TheDevilsWeakness
Posted: Thursday, June 5, 2014 11:56:38 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 7/19/2011
Posts: 1,371
Location: In a cloud of flour, Canada
VanGogh wrote:

I love the fact that I was brought up in Canada where the Trudeau "melting pot" has become the norm. Canadians say they are Canadian without the originating background info. It is rare to see or hear (though media seems to do it often) someone say they are .... "irish canadian" or "indo canadian" .... etc. We are just .... Canadian.

3601


You forgot our (Canadians) beloved character assassination of the poor Newfies and the Quebecois. Shhh



On a side note, I grew up with, and have to deal with on a regular basis, a very loud racist and bigot for a mother. I think I rebelled against it by befriending any and all kids while growing up that were different from the mainly white farming society we lived in, in some way or another.

The only reason I ever saw them as different from me was because of my mother pointing it out. Which only made me accept my friends more for who they were, than by the colour of their skin or where they lived or what religion their family practised.

I'd like to think I was the more mature person at the age of 6 than my mother was because I generally accepted someone for who they were and not because I was only doing it to piss her off. But if it's a bit of both, I can still live with that.

I still call her out on her rude and repulsive comments, and she still gets upset with me because I'm not a true white girl that should know her place, but at least I'm not stuck in the past.

In my opinion, the "good old days" were not really all that good.

Smoocher
Posted: Thursday, June 5, 2014 12:30:54 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 12/30/2011
Posts: 4,875
Location: United States
stephanie wrote:


Bearing in mind that you're a Tall, Intelligent, Protestant, Opinionated, No-Nonsense, Practical, SCOTTISH, girly-only-when-you-feel-like-it, occasionally cantankerous almighty fuck of a woman....

"WHY ARE WE FRIENDS????"

xx SF



laughing3 YOU stole ALL the reason's I consider her to be a friend also ... but you left out "foul-mouthed"!laughing6 laughing6 laughing6

Stephanie...YOU ave a good day and a wonderful evening! (said with all sincerity)


http://www.lushstories.com/stories/love-stories/exit-33-trust.aspx

Guest
Posted: Thursday, June 5, 2014 12:40:39 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 784,657
Mazza
Posted: Thursday, June 5, 2014 1:48:22 PM

Rank: Mazztastic

Joined: 9/20/2012
Posts: 3,349
Location: Scotland, United Kingdom
stephanie wrote:


Bearing in mind that you're a Tall, Intelligent, Protestant, Opinionated, No-Nonsense, Practical, SCOTTISH, girly-only-when-you-feel-like-it, occasionally cantankerous almighty fuck of a woman....

"WHY ARE WE FRIENDS????"

xx SF


Well, that would be because you're more of a cunt than an asshole

evil4

(Comedy basics right there)

Big Hugs

Nothing to see here...
Hotrod927
Posted: Thursday, June 5, 2014 2:33:07 PM

Rank: Advanced Wordsmith

Joined: 3/18/2013
Posts: 54
Location: United States
Nope, Let It Be;
ColletteXx
Posted: Thursday, June 5, 2014 2:44:32 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 12/6/2013
Posts: 212
Location: Deep within my comfort zone, United Kingdom
I had a very bad experience in my teens which gave me a bad perspective of Indian men.

I know it doesn't mean that all Indian men are the same, but it's hard for me to trust them. I have worked for an Indian guy who was such a sweetheart, but sadly my past still cloud my feelings towards Asian guys as a whole.

I guess at the very least I'm 'Asian guyist', rather than racist. I wish I felt differently, but it is what it is :(
BethanyFrasier
Posted: Thursday, June 5, 2014 3:03:58 PM

Rank: Rainbow Warrior

Joined: 5/15/2014
Posts: 3,438
Location: Land of Legend, south of the Firelands, United Sta
Nope, I've fucked about every race there is! lol

VanGogh
Posted: Thursday, June 5, 2014 11:07:42 PM

Rank: Sarcastic Coffee Aficionado

Joined: 2/10/2012
Posts: 3,928
Location: Vancouver, Canada
TheDevilsWeakness wrote:

You forgot our (Canadians) beloved character assassination of the poor Newfies and the Quebecois. Shhh


What do you mean?? How have Newfies and Quebecors been assassinated? I remember when I was young, my Archie Bunker clone father saying a joke about lightbulbs and how many Newfies .... but I didn't get it. confused1 I think that joke was recycled into how many blondes, etc. Times have changed and I KNOW for sure my kids would certainly not understand. And quite honestly, I still don't get it. So what's the deal with Newfies and Quebecors???

TheDevilsWeakness wrote:

On a side note, I grew up with, and have to deal with on a regular basis, a very loud racist and bigot for a mother. I think I rebelled against it by befriending any and all kids while growing up that were different from the mainly white farming society we lived in, in some way or another.

The only reason I ever saw them as different from me was because of my mother pointing it out. Which only made me accept my friends more for who they were, than by the colour of their skin or where they lived or what religion their family practised.


Sounds like your side note and my side note have similarities .... I agree .... the "Good old days" were not that good to many.
simply_sweet
Posted: Thursday, June 5, 2014 11:24:17 PM

Rank: Pandahug Ninja
Moderator

Joined: 6/15/2010
Posts: 2,218
Location: United States
http://m.youtube.com/results?q=everyone's%20a%20little%20bit%20racist&sm=1


I honestly think that everyone IS a little bit racist. Growing up surrounded by stereotypes and ignorance, some of it is bound to influence a person. Being a minority, I do not approve of racism...but I totally admit that sometimes I can be a little racist. Even if I catch myself and do a little self chiding afterwards, it happens.

Skyping With A Stranger


A Change of Heart


She
Posted: Friday, June 6, 2014 4:47:09 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 3/24/2010
Posts: 2,628
TheDevilsWeakness wrote:


You forgot our (Canadians) beloved character assassination of the poor Newfies and the Quebecois. Shhh



On a side note, I grew up with, and have to deal with on a regular basis, a very loud racist and bigot for a mother. I think I rebelled against it by befriending any and all kids while growing up that were different from the mainly white farming society we lived in, in some way or another.

The only reason I ever saw them as different from me was because of my mother pointing it out. Which only made me accept my friends more for who they were, than by the colour of their skin or where they lived or what religion their family practised.

I'd like to think I was the more mature person at the age of 6 than my mother was because I generally accepted someone for who they were and not because I was only doing it to piss her off. But if it's a bit of both, I can still live with that.

I still call her out on her rude and repulsive comments, and she still gets upset with me because I'm not a true white girl that should know her place, but at least I'm not stuck in the past.

In my opinion, the "good old days" were not really all that good.


You are absolutely my favorite person on Lush!! I like you even more now :)

You did what I keep telling people who are wining and blaming their past for who they are now. We can blame our parents and bad luck up until we are 25, after we matured enough, hormones did settle down and it is in our hands to change and be who we want. If I could do it, every one else can do it as well, right. You are lovely!
She
Posted: Friday, June 6, 2014 5:02:56 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 3/24/2010
Posts: 2,628
LittleLuce wrote:



It's okay, I wasn't offended by your comment. However I am left wondering why indeed you needed to post it. During the 1970's and 1980's we did have a very poor reputation wherever our fans went and it got so bad that our teams were banned from European competition for a number of years. Thankfully this was long before I was born and those years have long since passed.


Hmm, what do you mean why? You mentioned in your first post world cup, making contradiction between your two paragraphs and I replied, manly because as I said that for me, patriotism is one of the ways of racism.

LittleLuce wrote:
Unfortunately other European countries have now taken up the mantel of violence and racism and I hope that if it continues, then they too get dealt with as severely as we were. Four years ago my brother came back from Sheffield University having just got his Degree. With him he brought a friend to stay with us for a few days Christian - a young German student on his way back to Germany having also got his degree. In conversation about the difference in our countries he stated that when a job becomes available in Germany, it is almost certain to go to a German applicant - I wonder if people elsewhere would class that as racism.


I hope they will, I am sure they will get there. And this example what is happening in Germany is racism. Before EU countries had laws, different ones but since EU, it is stated that I have to be accepted for the position I applied for, if I am most qualified. What is happening now, it is racism. EU was not such a smart idea as they thought it would be..

LittleLuce wrote:
It's a shame that the example you put forward about our fans is how you should see us. The fans that attended those matches during that era were typical of the small minded following that didn't support our teams - but just went along for the trouble they could cause. They cared not at all about the teams or genuine fans that traveled to support their teams.
It has however been our teams that have suffered much racism to our black players when playing in European competitions over the las five years.


It is not how others see you because of the past, although you cannot erase or undo something, we see you how you act now, how you behave abroad and in your country.

LittleLuce wrote:
Our country and people have been let down by a a very small minority and should not be seen as an example of what British people are like. Other foreign people who have been living here for years would testify to that.

It just seems that it's that same old clichéd tale where a guy driving along breaking the speed limit hits a pedestrian killing them - sent to prison for a few years and after being released he saves three lives dragging people from a burning house.......

he'll always be known as the guy that ran over and killed a pedestrian. never the guy who saved three lives.


Cliche or not, you cannot expect that your past decisions will be just erased, you have to deal with them and change if you don't like, but you cannot forget about it. For example, you cannot just forget what happened in WWII, or what was going on in America, it is there, it cannot be undone. No matter how many people that driver will save in the future, he still wakes up and goes to bed with the same thought, he killed 1 person.
Guest
Posted: Friday, June 6, 2014 11:01:47 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 784,657
Hello She, I visited your profile page in order to find a name as I find calling you "she" a bit awkward, but unfortunately you didn't put a first name down so "She" it will have to be lol.

I'm not going to use the quote button as your last post was quite long and I don't want to fill up the page with needless repetition. But just to pick up on what you'd said.......

I looked back at my posts but could not locate anything that I had contradicted - maybe I missed something. Patriotism isn't one of the ways of racism. This is just like the terrorism situation if you think about it.
Terrorists and Racists don't come out of the same mold but they do come out of the same group. They both do what they do but neither of them like their respective titles so one uses the mask of religion to hide behind and one uses the mask of patriotism to hide behind.

Terrorists use religion to gain support from other quarters and sects, if they were known only as terrorists advertising themselves to be nothing other than mindless murdering criminals then the support that they have now amongst their kind would not have been forthcoming..........
For them it's all about power.

Racists hide behind the mask of patriotism because they are embarrassed about their actions and want to disguise their true feelings. When challenged about their views and comments particularly when you catch them alone, they get very embarrassed and evasive. They hate the term "racist" and they hate the label, so they just say that they are patriotic...........
For them it's all about ignorance.

Dear She, I am patriotic - not racist. I have always felt that what makes someone racist is how they feel about different races not what they say. The term "you're being racist" and the term "you are a racist" means two different things - some people just struggle with words and unfortunately choose the wrong ones. The race card is getting ever bigger and our vocabulary is struggling now to find words that are not deemed offensive.


This is how it used to be........

|Racist Terms| - |Non ........................................................................... Racist.............................................................................. Terms|


Now unfortunately you have to be so careful what you say, now it's......


|Racist................................................ terms| - | Non............................................. Racist ............................................................ Terms|


It's getting far more difficult to avoid saying the wrong thing.


Yes I agree with you about the EU point, definitely not as smart an idea as they thought.

The two other points you mentioned about clichéd and our past history........
Well I have to say that we here in Britain are expected to see past other peoples history and so should they see past ours. Looking back at The Roman Empire with all their murdering, rape and slavery - do we hold it against the Italians of today? Or the Germans for the two world wars and the shocking things they did? No, not the more educated of us anyway. It is a real shame that future generations should take the fall out of their ancestors. Let the past stay where it is...... in the past rather than encourage people to keep the past alive.

My last word in this post is just to say that anyone who reads this is - don't look at us or anyone else through eyes of the past as you will miss what we have to offer in the present and the future. (having said that I hope our fans behave themselves at the world cup!)

Patriotism rules...... not racism.

She
Posted: Sunday, June 8, 2014 4:28:45 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 3/24/2010
Posts: 2,628
LittleLuce wrote:


I looked back at my posts but could not locate anything that I had contradicted - maybe I missed something. Patriotism isn't one of the ways of racism. This is just like the terrorism situation if you think about it.
Terrorists and Racists don't come out of the same mold but they do come out of the same group. They both do what they do but neither of them like their respective titles so one uses the mask of religion to hide behind and one uses the mask of patriotism to hide behind.


Okay, we are in this thread, right, and you posted your first comment which it is read to be applying on OP, so, in your first paragraph you said that people are confusing patriotism and racism a lot these days, I quoted you because I disagree with you. If patriotism would be just a positive feeling than I wouldn't object, but since it is not (you cannot confuse something bad -racism with something good -patriotism, it has bad faces and being superior over some one else is one of them) it can be extended into racism. They both have the same negative feeling, being superior over someone else.
In your second paragraph you said you are being asked not to do something, right; you cannot offend no one with nothing if that something is good. You cannot damage others with good. Not in my world anyway.
This is as much as I can explain in my English contradictions between two of yours paragraphs in your first post.

LittleLuce wrote:
Terrorists use religion to gain support from other quarters and sects, if they were known only as terrorists advertising themselves to be nothing other than mindless murdering criminals then the support that they have now amongst their kind would not have been forthcoming..........
For them it's all about power.

I really don't want to go into terrorism.

LittleLuce wrote:
Racists hide behind the mask of patriotism because they are embarrassed about their actions and want to disguise their true feelings. When challenged about their views and comments particularly when you catch them alone, they get very embarrassed and evasive. They hate the term "racist" and they hate the label, so they just say that they are patriotic...........
For them it's all about ignorance.


I am not sure what you are talking about, never met person who is racists, but ashamed of it..

LittleLuce wrote:
Dear She, I am patriotic - not racist. I have always felt that what makes someone racist is how they feel about different races not what they say. The term "you're being racist" and the term "you are a racist" means two different things - some people just struggle with words and unfortunately choose the wrong ones. The race card is getting ever bigger and our vocabulary is struggling now to find words that are not deemed offensive.


I never said anything about you. And yes, they are two different terms, however if you are being racist in several situations in the roll, you become and are a racist. No one is perfect, true, but, make a mistake or keep doing the same one is two different things. and on the side note, if person don't have bad thoughts, that person wont have difficulties to express themselves in a good way.

LittleLuce wrote:
This is how it used to be........

|Racist Terms| - |Non ........................................................................... Racist.............................................................................. Terms|


Now unfortunately you have to be so careful what you say, now it's......


|Racist................................................ terms| - | Non............................................. Racist ............................................................ Terms|


It's getting far more difficult to avoid saying the wrong thing.


Is it really more difficult or is it just the fact that now, we shouldn't say (preferably not even think) things that might offend people. I am not saying 'don't speak your mind, just think before you open your mouth.'



LittleLuce wrote:
The two other points you mentioned about clichéd and our past history........
Well I have to say that we here in Britain are expected to see past other peoples history and so should they see past ours. Looking back at The Roman Empire with all their murdering, rape and slavery - do we hold it against the Italians of today? Or the Germans for the two world wars and the shocking things they did? No, not the more educated of us anyway. It is a real shame that future generations should take the fall out of their ancestors. Let the past stay where it is...... in the past rather than encourage people to keep the past alive.

My last word in this post is just to say that anyone who reads this is - don't look at us or anyone else through eyes of the past as you will miss what we have to offer in the present and the future. (having said that I hope our fans behave themselves at the world cup!)

Patriotism rules...... not racism.



I am not really sure why do you have need to defend yourself. I am not attacking you nor do I have anything against you, your people or citizens of any country, however, there are some facts that shouldn't be forgotten nor ignored. Ever.
Guest
Posted: Monday, June 9, 2014 4:44:08 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 784,657
Dear She.......

I think you've entirely misread my last post, nothing you said there relates to what I was trying to say - yet I did say it clear enough. I know that you were not attacking me and I am not defending myself, but people do point the finger at the past of the British and it was something that you brought up in a previous post. By far we are not the only ones to have had problems abroad and to our credit I'd like to think that we have sorted out those problems. Other countries are having them now - lets see if they face the same repercussions that we did.

One thing that I will add here is something that I believe applies to most countries that have or have had problems, and that's just to say it is always a very poor reputation that a country gains through the appalling behavior of such a small minority that reflects upon the vast majority......
It is only the people of a more academic position that are able to see the truth with a greater vision of clarity. My brother has now lived six different European countries, stayed in many others and has made many fine friends as well as a beautiful Slovakian girlfriend that he is moving in with. He would be a much better person to write this post being so well traveled. At no point has he come across any animosity.

No we're not perfect here in Britain, but thankfully.......
Neither is anyone else!

There's a number of sayings that state about looking at the past, but I'll just say that if you're looking back then you won't be moving forward and there's nothing worse than a poor past being part of your countries history - we have to live with it longer than anyone.
It's a shame people don't remind us of the good things we've done over the decades - we're such a terrible country apparantly but.........
everyone seems to want to live here, work here, attend our universities, marry people here and take our benefits and national health.

As far as patriotism is concerned it has a different meaning here, you'll have to go with your own beliefs. When I said that we were being asked not to put flags in our windows and gardens, the council stated that it may offend our foreign residents. We have a good number of Polish, Chinese, Asian and other immigrants living in Suffolk and across the rest of the country, but at what point should we not be able to fly our national flag from our homes in ENGLAND? If we were abroad I would expect that ruling but not here and I think that's a fair comment.

When the Polish put their flags out are we offended? - no, so why should they be offended about seeing an English flag flying in England.

Being patriotic isn't about believing that you're superior to others - it's just about supporting your countries efforts in whatever it's people endeavor to achieve.

I stand by my posts and if you don't understand them as I do then you'll just have to go with whatever your opinion is which by the way I do respect. But you are from a different part of Europe (you don't state where) and quite possibly or obviously your beliefs are very different.

We'll have to agree to disagree I'm afraid.
Twofish1way
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2014 11:07:19 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 1/28/2014
Posts: 549
Location: United States
No. we are all brothers and sisters. "the only time you should look down upon a man is if you are helping him up."
She
Posted: Sunday, June 15, 2014 2:41:44 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 3/24/2010
Posts: 2,628
LittleLuce wrote:
Dear She.......

I think you've entirely misread my last post, nothing you said there relates to what I was trying to say - yet I did say it clear enough.


Phew, luckily I misread your posts, right, otherwise it wouldn't be so flattering in your behave.


LittleLuce wrote:
Hello She, I visited your profile page in order to find a name as I find calling you "she" a bit awkward


Funny what you find awkward.



Edit: Conclusion of my views.

Even though was said in this thread that patriotism is being confused with racism, I have to point out again that there is a reason why is that (and it has nothing to do with confusion). Racism is extremely negative approach toward other people, when patriotism 'only' has negative compositions which are very much alike to racism ones, so therefore in my opinion, patriotism is one of the ways of the racism.
Duralex87
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2014 3:24:27 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 6/5/2010
Posts: 129
Location: Yaounde,Etoudi., Cameroon
I honestly dont think i'm a racist. Being one in my view is a hobby for people that are either overly fond of statistics or obsessed with conspiracy theories. So i'm no racist until one of the so called "theories" actually proven true.

Trying to sound cool. Too much work left.
Guest
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2014 4:04:06 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 784,657
Nope, being a dumb ass comes in every color.
Users browsing this topic
Guest 


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS

Powered by Yet Another Forum.net version 1.9.1.6 (NET v4.0) - 11/14/2007
Copyright © 2003-2006 Yet Another Forum.net. All rights reserved.