Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Which improvements or features would you like to see added? Options · View
BabydollSlave
Posted: Saturday, July 12, 2014 8:35:49 AM

TxPrincess wrote:

Found it...now if only Gav will implement it for you.....

oh my gods i wuvvles you to the moon and back! gives the bigges eyes to gav.....when ever you have chance....before i turn 25 is completely ok! wowness nutella luvens Embarassed

my newest :)
ChrissieLecker
Posted: Sunday, July 13, 2014 11:21:14 AM

Dirty_D wrote:

I love that the series' have this way of being recognized (I mean DD's west coast games was just really great!) but it's difficult to understand what the ribbon is for. This post kind of illustrates that. Mazza has been a long time author here. She reads the forums, and makes intelligent posts. Yet she didn't know either what the ribbon was or who it had been awarded to. If the EP panel is going to take the time and effort to award this, I'd like to see it have real merit on the site.

I very much second that. It would be great if there was an "Outstanding Series" button in the categories like there is for Recommended Reads and Editors' Picks. Usually, the target audience tends to vary quite a bit between standalone shorts and series. If such an entry could also only list the first chapter of each awarded series, it would be brilliant, and I'm sure we could attract new readership with it, especially as the novel category is somewhat of a dead horse.

Tiepinkraider
Posted: Sunday, July 13, 2014 12:50:53 PM

PEOPLE SHOULD RESTRICTED TO BEING IN ONE CHAT ROOM AT A TIME
Possibly
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2014 12:39:30 PM

Okay, I might be reaching, but here goes. Would it be possible to see the percentage of votes to views and the percentage of comments to views? I think that these percentages tell a story.

“What story,” you might ask. Here it is...Based upon my setting ‘only members can vote on my stories’, here’s my take. Views alone are great; however, I want to know the percentage of individuals moved enough to vote and comment on the story or poem.

Here’s an example.

My story Brown has 13,618 views with 81 votes. Now the numbers sound great; however, when I examine the percentage of people who viewed it against those moved to vote, it tells a different picture. .59% of people felt moved enough to vote. (Not so pretty.)

Here’s another example.

My poem Daily Head - A Sonnet has 1200 views with 90 votes. This yields a vote to view percentage of 7.5%. My poem moved more people to vote than my story.

Thanks for the consideration.

Dirty_D
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2014 12:58:26 PM

Possibly wrote:
Okay, I might be reaching, but here goes. Would it be possible to see the percentage of votes to views and the percentage of comments to views? I think that these percentages tell a story.

“What story,” you might ask. Here it is...Based upon my setting ‘only members can vote on my stories’, here’s my take. Views alone are great; however, I want to know the percentage of individuals moved enough to vote and comment on the story or poem.

Here’s an example.

My story Brown has 13,618 views with 81 votes. Now the numbers sound great; however, when I examine the percentage of people who viewed it against those moved to vote, it tells a different picture. .59% of people felt moved enough to vote. (Not so pretty.)

Here’s another example.

My poem Daily Head - A Sonnet has 1200 views with 90 votes. This yields a vote to view percentage of 7.5%. My poem moved more people to vote than my story.

I'm not surprised that you get more comments per view on poems. More friends/followers/ect will read a poem specifically to comment.
example, both submitted fairly close to gether, and both RR's

My poem Icarus has 614 views with 28 votes, for a respectable 4.2%

my story, Under pressure has 10, 742 vies and 39 votes, or 0.36%
Possibly
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2014 1:01:44 PM

Dirty_D wrote:

I'm not surprised that you get more comments per view on poems. More friends/followers/ect will read a poem specifically to comment.
example, both submitted fairly close to gether, and both RR's

My poem Icarus has 614 views with 28 votes, for a respectable 4.2%

my story, Under pressure has 10, 742 vies and 39 votes, or 0.36%

Point well taken. However, I'm looking for the percentage to be posted on the story or poem. That's my suggestion.

Mazza
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2014 4:56:19 PM

Possibly wrote:

Here’s an example.

Here’s another example.

I'd like to see stats for audio stories as they can vary greatly form reads and views...
Liz
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 4:13:42 AM

Possibly wrote:

Here’s an example.

Here’s another example.

I don't think you're ever going to get any sort of meaningful statistic like this. To do so, you'd have to filter your story views to just those by Lush members. Not sure that would be possible.

Some of those 'views' are likely to be search engines crawling the site, or other such automated bots. You also have to consider that a huge chunk of this site's web traffic is through the mobile version of the site.

Would these figures really be representative? I don't think so.

My 2 cents

Liz
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 4:17:35 AM

For the security-minded, how about an option to enable two-factor authentication for login?

There are some existing apps which it could probably be integrated into, e.g. Authy.

https://www.authy.com

Plunger
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 5:45:23 AM

Often in a chat room I see someone interesting, but when I move to her bio I can't get back to the chat room. And even though it shows me in the room if the are at a maximum occupancy I am still unable to get back , very frustration!
Liz
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 5:58:03 AM

Plunger wrote:
Often in a chat room I see someone interesting, but when I move to her bio I can't get back to the chat room. And even though it shows me in the room if the are at a maximum occupancy I am still unable to get back , very frustration!

Why don't you open their profile in a new browser tab and stay in the chatroom?

BiMale73
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 6:10:28 AM

Liz wrote:
Why don't you open their profile in a new browser tab and stay in the chatroom?

Sure, but if he's still considered to be in the chat room he should be able to get back in of course. Ohterwise it's a bug and you could have a crowded room full of people who can't get in Think

Liz
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 6:15:17 AM

BiMale73 wrote:

Sure, but if he's still considered to be in the chat room he should be able to get back in of course. Ohterwise it's a bug and you could have a crowded room full of people who can't get in Think

When you navigate out of a chatroom to another page on the site, you leave the chatroom. That's how it's set up.

Perhaps it was programmed this way because not everyone uses the little exit feature. If it kept you logged in, the rooms would quickly fill to capacity with redundant sessions.

Possibly
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 6:59:01 AM

Liz wrote:

I don't think you're ever going to get any sort of meaningful statistic like this. To do so, you'd have to filter your story views to just those by Lush members. Not sure that would be possible.

Some of those 'views' are likely to be search engines crawling the site, or other such automated bots. You also have to consider that a huge chunk of this site's web traffic is through the mobile version of the site.

Would these figures really be representative? I don't think so.

My 2 cents

Wow, that's interesting, Liz. So if I'm understanding you correctly, you're saying that this site awards stories for automated bot and crawling search engine activity?

If this is the case, then what's the point of counting views? (Just curious)

And by the way, I simply made a suggestion. I did preface it by saying that I thought I was reaching. But the information coming out of the discussion is pretty darn interesting. Thank you, Liz.

Liz
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 7:56:43 AM

Possibly wrote:

Wow, that's interesting, Liz. So if I'm understanding you correctly, you're saying that this site awards stories for automated bot and crawling search engine activity?

If this is the case, then what's the point of counting views? (Just curious)

And by the way, I simply made a suggestion. I did preface it by saying that I thought I was reaching. But the information coming out of the discussion is pretty darn interesting. Thank you, Liz.

I think you've missed my point somewhat regarding the stats.

If I've understood your original post correctly, you would like to work out what percentage of people reading your stories are actually commenting. You've also stated that you have your stories set to only allow comments from registered Lush members. In order for these stats to make any sense, you would need to disallow all 'views' on your stories where commenting was either not possible (non-registered members and mobile site viewers), or not applicable (automated hits from bots or search engine spiders). If you don't, you'll will have polluted your calculation and will never have any kind of representative sample.

As for the bots/spiders, I'm sure in the grand scheme of things that their impact on the figures is miniscule.

BiMale73
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 8:08:45 AM

Liz wrote:
When you navigate out of a chatroom to another page on the site, you leave the chatroom. That's how it's set up.

That makes sense, but if I understand Plunger's post correctly, then the site says he's still in the chat room (I guess under the "Who's online?" link on the chat index page) when he's not and can't get in.
Perhaps it's a cache issue.

BiMale73
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 8:13:52 AM

Possibly wrote:

It's not possible to filter out all bots/crawlers. Some well known ones may be easy to detect, but many aren't. It's just the reality of web visitor analytics.

Possibly
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 8:17:20 AM

Liz wrote:

I think you've missed my point somewhat regarding the stats.

If I've understood your original post correctly, you would like to work out what percentage of people reading your stories are actually commenting. You've also stated that you have your stories set to only allow comments from registered Lush members. In order for these stats to make any sense, you would need to disallow all 'views' on your stories where commenting was either not possible (non-registered members and mobile site viewers), or not applicable (automated hits from bots or search engine spiders). If you don't, you'll will have polluted your calculation and will never have any kind of representative sample.

As for the bots/spiders, I'm sure in the grand scheme of things that their impact on the figures is miniscule.

No, I understand your point quite well. Just to clarify, I turned on the setting 'only members can vote on my story'.

And no, I think there's a little confusion with my 'suggestion'. I'd like to see two percentages on the story:

1. Votes-to-views to show how many people are moved to vote.
2. Comments-to-views to show how many people are moved to comment.

I simply used two examples of 'votes-to-views' to show the percentage outcomes. I am not looking for a vote-to-comment percentage.

Question: What is the definition of a view? Is it how many times someone 'reads' the story? Or is it how many times the page's been hit?

Liz
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 8:19:49 AM

BiMale73 wrote:

That makes sense, but if I understand Plunger's post correctly, then the site says he's still in the chat room (I guess under the "Who's online?" link on the chat index page) when he's not and can't get in.
Perhaps it's a cache issue.

I tested this myself and it logged me out fine. Not sure why it would still show him in the room if he navigates out.

Possibly a cache issue.

Opening any other pages in a new tab solves his problem though :)

Possibly
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 8:24:41 AM

BiMale73 wrote:

It's not possible to filter out all bots/crawlers. Some well known ones may be easy to detect, but many aren't. It's just the reality of web visitor analytics.

Thanks for the information!

Liz
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 8:27:47 AM

Possibly wrote:

No, I understand your point quite well. Just to clarify, I turned on the setting 'only members can vote on my story'.

And no, I think there's a little confusion with my 'suggestion'. I'd like to see two percentages on the story:

1. Votes-to-views to show how many people are moved to vote.
2. Comments-to-views to show how many people are moved to comment.

I simply used two examples of 'votes-to-views' to show the percentage outcomes. I am not looking for a vote-to-comment percentage.

Question: What is the definition of a view? Is it how many times someone 'reads' the story? Or is it how many times the page's been hit?

It doesn't matter, the same principal applies. You would still need to eliminate all 'views' that were unable to vote, in order for any stat to tell you anything.

Let's say you had 1,000 views on a story, but only 100 of those were from people actually capable of voting on it. Let's also say that all 100 people who clicked on it, read it and scored on it. Your 'votes-to-views' stat should be 100%, but in reality it would show only 10%. That's because it is still taking into account all the people that viewed the story from the mobile site, from the android app, etc...

In answer to your question, it would obviously be page hits (most likely unique) because a computer is never going to know if a story was actually read or not.

Possibly
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 8:35:03 AM

Liz wrote:

It doesn't matter, the same principal applies. You would still need to eliminate all 'views' that were unable to vote in order for any stat to tell you anything.

Let's say you had 1,000 views on a story, but only 100 of those were from people actually capable of voting on it. Let's also say that all 100 people who clicked on it, read it and scored on it. Your 'votes-to-views' stat should be 100%, but in reality it would show only 10%. That's because it is still taking into account all the people that viewed the story from the mobile site, from the android app, etc...

In answer to your question, it would obviously be page hits (most likely unique) because a computer is never going to know if a story was actually read or not.

I understand. So, I ask again,

Possibly wrote:

So if I'm understanding you correctly, you're saying that this site awards stories for automated bot and crawling search engine activity?

Liz
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 8:38:08 AM

Possibly wrote:
I understand. So, I ask again,

I believe both myself and BiMale73 have covered this for you.

The impact of any automated hits is likely minuscule, and I'm sure impossible to filter out of the server stats.

Possibly
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 8:44:05 AM

Liz wrote:

I believe both myself and BiMale73 have covered this for you.

The impact of any automated hits is likely minuscule, and I'm sure impossible to filter out of the server stats.

Lol. Okay, Liz. Thank you. He didn't say that the hits were minuscule, but I got my answer. Thanks again.

BiMale73
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 9:16:58 AM

Possibly wrote:
Lol. Okay, Liz. Thank you. He didn't say that the hits were minuscule, but I got my answer. Thanks again.

Even that can be hard to measure. But in case of Lush, with its many users, it's safe to say that it is indeed miniscule. For my own unmaintained website the majority of visits probably are bots and crawlers Embarassed

Possibly
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 9:21:10 AM

BiMale73 wrote:

Even that can be hard to measure. But in case of Lush, with its many users, it's safe to say that it is indeed miniscule. For my own unmaintained website the majority of visits probably are bots and crawlers Embarassed

Thanks for the clarification!

Liz, and BiMale73, thanks for the healthy discussion. I learned a lot!

TxPrincess
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 9:43:20 AM

Liz wrote:

I tested this myself and it logged me out fine. Not sure why it would still show him in the room if he navigates out.

Possibly a cache issue.

Opening any other pages in a new tab solves his problem though :)

This happens alot on mobile devises and in the instance that the room got full as you were entering.....for example if there is 24 member in there and 2 try at the same time, the count moves to 26 you are in there (well it says so) and you have a blue chat room that looks half loaded and you can do or see nothing. you have to refresh and basically wait till the people leave.

BiMale73
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 9:50:37 AM

TxPrincess wrote:
This happens alot on mobile devises and in the instance that the room got full as you were entering.....for example if there is 24 member in there and 2 try at the same time, the count moves to 26 you are in there (well it says so) and you have a blue chat room that looks half loaded and you can do or see nothing. you have to refresh and basically wait till the people leave.

Sounds like a race condition.

fantasylady
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 10:37:22 AM

I had a quick scroll through the previous sixty nine pages and couldn't see this query.

Would it be possible to be able to open another tab (or window) from Lush, like the one that opens when you add to your reading queue?

This is really useful if you open a message from someone and want to see their profile at the same time without losing the mail.

Of course we can still open two tabs from our browsers, but it is time comsuming and I don't always remember.

Thanks

Abi
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 11:51:50 AM

**deleted by moderator**

Quote:
LushStories.com Terms wrote:
I agree not to discuss or make mention of the subjects: incest, rape, sex with underage people (under 16), child abuse, dangerous sexual acts, drugging, suicide or bestiality, either in the forums, chat rooms, messaging, comment areas or in member profiles.