Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

How childish! Do you get this? Options · View
dpw
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2014 8:16:04 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 9/15/2013
Posts: 4,447
Location: Liverpool, United Kingdom
I've just received my first score of one, lol.
Apparently an author took umbrage to me giving a score of three for their new story, so I get a one in retaliation.
There were some grammatical errors and mistaken use of words. The sex was unrealistic and overall, treated the reader like a juvenile, with explanation after explanation.
I thought this sort of behaviour might happen in High School, but not here. We are all meant to be adults, aren't we?
I was wondering if this is a regular occurrance or a one off?
Do people expect every score to be a five?
Should I stop scoring on stories that I feel don't deserve a five?
Buz
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2014 9:09:39 AM

Rank: The Linebacker
Moderator

Joined: 3/2/2011
Posts: 6,973
Location: Atlanta, United States
Childish behavior by adults is quite common, just look at professional politicians.

She
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2014 9:13:21 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 3/24/2010
Posts: 2,487
Location: Europe
So, answer to your all 4 questions is: Yes -high school, Yes - regular would be if people would score another author with 3 or less, Yes - they do of course, all brilliant authors, Yes - it would be easier.

Over the years here I've learned that this is just how Lush rolls. You play with it or don't but if you don't than you get revenges high school behavior. I tended to be honest I believe just in my few first scores and comments, but fast realized that I have no intention to brake someones bubbles. Now, it is much easier for me, if I manage to make it to the end, I score, 5, if I don't like it I move on. If I really like it, I leave comment.

I most definitely wouldn't pay much attention what others think in both cases, you continue with your system or change it to Lush system. Lush crowd is not Pulitzer committee after all.

There are exceptions to the rule, of course.
TheDevilsWeakness
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2014 10:02:21 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 7/19/2011
Posts: 1,326
Location: I'm the girl that your father hoped he could date.
dpw wrote:
I've just received my first score of one, lol.
Apparently an author took umbrage to me giving a score of three for their new story, so I get a one in retaliation.
There were some grammatical errors and mistaken use of words. The sex was unrealistic and overall, treated the reader like a juvenile, with explanation after explanation.
I thought this sort of behaviour might happen in High School, but not here. We are all meant to be adults, aren't we?
I was wondering if this is a regular occurrence or a one off?
Do people expect every score to be a five?
Should I stop scoring on stories that I feel don't deserve a five?


First of all, just because you get older in age doesn't mean you get any wiser. I know I can get my feelings hurt over a slight and my first reaction is to retaliate. But I also have the self-control to avoid such a childish response. Sometimes...

The question is... How do you react to that? It shows more about your character when you have to deal with this behaviour.
Are you going to let it bother you? It obviously has, or you wouldn't be posting this in the forums. And that's ok, but my advice would be to let it go. *insert Disney music here* evil4

I, personally, refuse to allow something like this to bother me so I don't give it much thought, but I have noticed I rarely read or score anymore. dontknow

Magical_felix
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2014 10:14:12 AM

Rank: Wild at Heart

Joined: 4/3/2010
Posts: 5,156
Location: California
laughing8



dpw
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2014 10:49:52 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 9/15/2013
Posts: 4,447
Location: Liverpool, United Kingdom
TheDevilsWeakness wrote:


First of all, just because you get older in age doesn't mean you get any wiser. I know I can get my feelings hurt over a slight and my first reaction is to retaliate. But I also have the self-control to avoid such a childish response. Sometimes...

The question is... How do you react to that? It shows more about your character when you have to deal with this behaviour.
Are you going to let it bother you? It obviously has, or you wouldn't be posting this in the forums. And that's ok, but my advice would be to let it go. *insert Disney music here* evil4

I, personally, refuse to allow something like this to bother me so I don't give it much thought, but I have noticed I rarely read or score anymore. dontknow

To be honest, I found it amusing. The reason I posted was to find out if it had happened to others.
I also wondered how they reacted if it had happened to them. You say that you rarely read or score anymore. I like to score stories that I read. I also used to comment before the changes, I can't do it on my phone. However, I do like to be honest to myself when I score.
stephanie
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2014 11:08:06 AM

Rank: Bohemian

Joined: 1/1/2010
Posts: 5,317
Location: Dublin, Ire., Ireland

A score of ONE is a Badge Of Honour!!!

(I think I have a few... And I've given one or two... But GENERALLY I only do that when I am either very drunk or very annoyed... Or both... And, sad bastard that I am, I invariably PM to apologize when I sober up/calm down...)

Not mentioning any names...

xx Steph

(Balls. Everybody's going to give me ONES now, aren't they?)

"Stirring Up The Smooth Sands Of Monotony Since 1967." xx SF
She
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2014 11:17:09 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 3/24/2010
Posts: 2,487
Location: Europe
TheDevilsWeakness wrote:


First of all, just because you get older in age doesn't mean you get any wiser. I know I can get my feelings hurt over a slight and my first reaction is to retaliate. But I also have the self-control to avoid such a childish response. Sometimes...

The question is... How do you react to that? It shows more about your character when you have to deal with this behaviour.
Are you going to let it bother you? It obviously has, or you wouldn't be posting this in the forums. And that's ok, but my advice would be to let it go. *insert Disney music here* evil4

I, personally, refuse to allow something like this to bother me so I don't give it much thought, but I have noticed I rarely read or score anymore. dontknow


I am hanging out with way too nice people lately, it is obvious that I am losing my touch 588-rolleyes
dpw
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2014 11:27:14 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 9/15/2013
Posts: 4,447
Location: Liverpool, United Kingdom
stephanie wrote:

A score of ONE is a Badge Of Honour!!!

(I think I have a few... And I've given one or two... But GENERALLY I only do that when I am either very drunk or very annoyed... Or both... And, sad bastard that I am, I invariably PM to apologize when I sober up/calm down...)

Not mentioning any names...

xx Steph

(Balls. Everybody's going to give me ONES now, aren't they?)

I've always wanted to give you one!Embarassed
stephanie
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2014 11:32:25 AM

Rank: Bohemian

Joined: 1/1/2010
Posts: 5,317
Location: Dublin, Ire., Ireland
dpw wrote:

I've always wanted to give you one!Embarassed


Ker-Ching!!!!!

LAUGHS!

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX SF

"Stirring Up The Smooth Sands Of Monotony Since 1967." xx SF
Dani
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2014 11:33:21 AM

Rank: Big-Haired Bitch
Moderator

Joined: 12/25/2010
Posts: 5,623
Location: Under Your Bed, United States
Of course. It happens to everyone at some point or another.

You piss off the wrong person via the internet and they retaliate the best way they can. On Lush, it's done through story votes because the results are immediate...and obviously quite effective if this thread is any indication.

C'est la vie.

The best you can do in these situations is ignore the immature twit who chooses to lash out this way. Sure you're amused and all, but they're probably reading this thread and snickering and patting themselves on the back for a job well done.

As far as your scoring choices go, score/vote as you see fit. That's the only chance we have of keeping any integrity to this voting system.


dpw
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2014 12:11:14 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 9/15/2013
Posts: 4,447
Location: Liverpool, United Kingdom
Dani wrote:
Of course. It happens to everyone at some point or another.

You piss off the wrong person via the internet and they retaliate the best way they can. On Lush, it's done through story votes because the results are immediate...and obviously quite effective if this thread is any indication.

C'est la vie.

The best you can do in these situations is ignore the immature twit who chooses to lash out this way. Sure you're amused and all, but they're probably reading this thread and snickering and patting themselves on the back for a job well done.

As far as your scoring choices go, score/vote as you see fit. That's the only chance we have of keeping any integrity to this voting system.

Oh dear, it seems like I've caused an avalanche. Up to three people now. I've just replied thanking them for the score and hoping that they enjoyed reading them.
At least at this rate I'll have a famous story.
Poppet
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2014 12:32:08 PM

Rank: Sweetest Cricket

Joined: 10/5/2012
Posts: 5,457
Location: You Inspire Me, United States
I've personally never given anyone a one before. If I think a story is that bad, I just won't bother scoring at all. Actually, I probably wouldn't even finish reading the story to bother. I never score a story if I don't finish it. Why bother? I don't see the point in giving someone a score of a one or two, if I don't like it, I'm going to simply stop reading it. I know some people will disagree with this, but I think it is kind of asshole-ish to give someone a one or two.

And yes, I've gotten a very few ones in my time. I didn't seek revenge on them. We're not in grade school.

Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ You Inspire Me Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
CurlyGirly
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2014 5:40:20 PM

Rank: CurlyFries

Joined: 10/5/2012
Posts: 1,826
Location: United States
dpw wrote:
I've just received my first score of one, lol.
Apparently an author took umbrage to me giving a score of three for their new story, so I get a one in retaliation.
There were some grammatical errors and mistaken use of words. The sex was unrealistic and overall, treated the reader like a juvenile, with explanation after explanation.
I thought this sort of behaviour might happen in High School, but not here. We are all meant to be adults, aren't we?
I was wondering if this is a regular occurrance or a one off?
Do people expect every score to be a five?
Should I stop scoring on stories that I feel don't deserve a five?



I have scored a few 3s and 2s with comments, but not sure if I've scored a 1. dontknow

However, I did reply to someone whining in the forums because no one read his stories and suggested that maybe he should give a little to get a little and read and comment on a few stories since he was an electorate and commentator virgin. He promptly responded by scoring one of my stories a one. Apparently, my reply to his post was not sugar coated enough. Imagine that? While I was irked at the time, I honestly can't remember the user's name and don't even know if he's still a member.

If you put yourself out there, chances are that it's going to happen to you. Congrats! Your ONE cherry has been broken! evil4



It won a potato. Aren't you intrigued?



sprite
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2014 5:45:47 PM

Rank: Her Royal Spriteness
Moderator

Joined: 6/18/2010
Posts: 16,005
Location: My Tower, United States
it used to bother me. now, i honestly don't care - it's more of a reflection on the person giving the score than it is on the story and it's not worth even a nano-second of my time, time which i'd rather give to people i actually give two fucks about. :)

Live, love, laugh.
dpw
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2014 5:47:43 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 9/15/2013
Posts: 4,447
Location: Liverpool, United Kingdom
CurlyGirly wrote:



I have scored a few 3s and 2s with comments, but not sure if I've scored a 1. dontknow

However, I did reply to someone whining in the forums because no one read his stories and suggested that maybe he should give a little to get a little and read and comment on a few stories since he was an electorate and commentator virgin. He promptly responded by scoring one of my stories a one. Apparently, my reply to his post was not sugar coated enough. Imagine that? While I was irked at the time, I honestly can't remember the user's name and don't even know if he's still a member.

If you put yourself out there, chances are that it's going to happen to you. Congrats! Your ONE cherry has been broken! evil4

At least popping that cherry didn't hurt!crybaby
dpw
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2014 5:49:55 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 9/15/2013
Posts: 4,447
Location: Liverpool, United Kingdom
sprite wrote:
it used to bother me. now, i honestly don't care - it's more of a reflection on the person giving the score than it is on the story and it's not worth even a nano-second of my time, time which i'd rather give to people i actually give two fucks about. :)

God, I love your posts. They always make me smile.
stephanie
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 8:46:22 AM

Rank: Bohemian

Joined: 1/1/2010
Posts: 5,317
Location: Dublin, Ire., Ireland
sprite wrote:
it used to bother me. now, i honestly don't care - it's more of a reflection on the person giving the score than it is on the story and it's not worth even a nano-second of my time, time which i'd rather give to people i actually give two fucks about. :)


ONE FUCK would be nice, Rae...

(Hi, Kay...)

xx SF

"Stirring Up The Smooth Sands Of Monotony Since 1967." xx SF
Liz
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 8:50:51 AM

Rank: Scarlet Seductress
Moderator

Joined: 1/22/2013
Posts: 5,497
Location: In the sweet shop, United Kingdom
stephanie wrote:

ONE FUCK would be nice, Rae...

(Hi, Kay...)

xx SF


Does a threesome count as two fucks, or just one?

L x


adagio_sabadicus
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 9:27:33 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 1/24/2013
Posts: 1,366
I think we are all writers, some more the others. Like anyplace-anytime, there are those who will underscore for no particular reason but spite. A four doesn't dill my flesh, but less, pickles my juice. If one think's it stinks, then wink and grin, but move on to another four or five.
stephanie
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 10:02:00 AM

Rank: Bohemian

Joined: 1/1/2010
Posts: 5,317
Location: Dublin, Ire., Ireland
adagio_sabadicus wrote:
I think we are all writers, some more the others. Like anyplace-anytime, there are those who will underscore for no particular reason but spite. A four doesn't dill my flesh, but less, pickles my juice. If one think's it stinks, then wink and grin, but move on to another four or five.


Wise words...

I GUESS with experience, (and a degree of 'If you do that again we'll kick your ass of the site...') I've realized that there are SOME things I JUST DON'T GET... BUT, that doesn't mean that they are BAD Per Se... I just don't get it... Like I don't like SEAFOOD! (I don't...) Millions do. Are they mistaken? Of course not...

IN RETROSPECT, I THINK that voting a ONE on any story is really pure meanness. A THREE says, I SEE what you were trying to do but it didn't work for me.

There can be NO REAL REASON to vote a ONE since Lush Mods are, (among other things) QUALITY CONTROLLERS. (Quite Simply, if it's up, it has merit) so a ONE vote is probably moot UNLESS you can justify it, and even then... (It's UNCOOL!)

xx Steph









"Stirring Up The Smooth Sands Of Monotony Since 1967." xx SF
daddysweetheart
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 10:14:16 AM

Rank: Beautiful Submissive

Joined: 11/14/2013
Posts: 3,097
Welcome to the One Club..

I have gotten it once that I know of for sure. He was mad the poem wasn't written for him.


You have a Recommended Read, that's great!!

As annoying as it may be to you, I wouldn't put much stock in it.

My advice would be to block them.

I like everyones' replies.

(I think that's where I put the apostrophe.)


She
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 10:22:30 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 3/24/2010
Posts: 2,487
Location: Europe
stephanie wrote:



There can be NO REAL REASON to vote a ONE since Lush Mods are, (among other things) QUALITY CONTROLLERS. (Quite Simply, if it's up, it has merit) so a ONE vote is probably moot UNLESS you can justify it, and even then... (It's UNCOOL!)

xx Steph



I think you are way of base here. But as well I could misread you.
What you are suggesting is totalitarianism. It is one thing to have standard quality for writers and the other thing to suggest that quality and likening is what standard for individuals (readers) should be. Beside, if 1 shouldn't be given by readers because it went through Quality Controllers, than we wouldn't have option 1 to vote to begin with. I believe that lushstories.com are trying to achieve something completely opposite what you are suggesting, however I am not helping lush with my voting system either, for now.
stephanie
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 10:50:39 AM

Rank: Bohemian

Joined: 1/1/2010
Posts: 5,317
Location: Dublin, Ire., Ireland
She wrote:


I think you are way of base here. But as well I could misread you.
What you are suggesting is totalitarianism. It is one thing to have standard quality for writers and the other thing to suggest that quality and likening is what standard for individuals (readers) should be. Beside, if 1 shouldn't be given by readers because it went through Quality Controllers, than we wouldn't have option 1 to vote to begin with. I believe that lushstories.com are trying to achieve something completely opposite what you are suggesting, however I am not helping lush with my voting system either, for now.


We SHOULD have the option to vote ONE! (I NEVER said we shouldn't!) But IF you vote a ONE say WHY you did.

(Or don't! I couldn't really care less! ARTISTS shouldn't care about votes. Only Politicians care about votes...)

And I respect your view, BTW, honest.

xx SF



"Stirring Up The Smooth Sands Of Monotony Since 1967." xx SF
Rick_Valley
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 11:19:37 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 6/27/2014
Posts: 214
Location: United States
Whenever you publish something or display artwork publicly you open yourself to public scrutiny. No one likes a negatve review and sometimes it can be hard to take. Some people will react to good critism with maturity and some will whine.
Guest
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 1:13:04 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 652,391
I really don't care.

I tend to go by group consensus.
Charlotte_
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 2:01:35 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 4/11/2014
Posts: 112
Location: United States
Actually, one of my least favorite features of Lush is that authors can tell who scored them with what score. This tends to lead to score inflation, in my opinion, as nobody is willing to be honest and score stories below 4 even if they are not very good. My only other experience with erotic story postings with scores (where my stories are for now, because I'm too lazy to port them) had a much greater score spread, which meant that a score of 4 was objectively good, because some stories got 1s and 2s, and the median score was close to 3. Even there, however, I hardly ever scored lower than a 3, mostly because you had to get to the end of the story to give it a score (stories might be spread out on multiple pages), and if I gave up before the end, the story was mostly likely deserving of a 1-2. Even now I still go back to "the dark side ;-)" to read stories because the 4+ stories were universally good stories. Not always without grammar and spelling distractions, mind (I think the Lush story reviewers are less overwhelmed), but good stories.

Artist stories start at Artist -- Chapter 1
KatieElizabeth
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 4:08:05 PM

Rank: English Rose
Moderator

Joined: 10/5/2013
Posts: 736
Location: My own sunny little spot, United Kingdom
I refused to cyber with someone once, in retaliation they scored 3 of my stories back to back the day after with a 1. I changed my settings after that to only allow a vote if a comment's left. It's not scores of 1 that bother me. I'm not the greatest writer in the world and I do appreciate honest and constructive feedback, but to score 1's out of spite is truly pathetic!!! I soon discovered the block button after that!!!


Click banner to read...
sprite
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 4:24:13 PM

Rank: Her Royal Spriteness
Moderator

Joined: 6/18/2010
Posts: 16,005
Location: My Tower, United States
Charlotte_ wrote:
Actually, one of my least favorite features of Lush is that authors can tell who scored them with what score. This tends to lead to score inflation, in my opinion, as nobody is willing to be honest and score stories below 4 even if they are not very good. My only other experience with erotic story postings with scores (where my stories are for now, because I'm too lazy to port them) had a much greater score spread, which meant that a score of 4 was objectively good, because some stories got 1s and 2s, and the median score was close to 3. Even there, however, I hardly ever scored lower than a 3, mostly because you had to get to the end of the story to give it a score (stories might be spread out on multiple pages), and if I gave up before the end, the story was mostly likely deserving of a 1-2. Even now I still go back to "the dark side ;-)" to read stories because the 4+ stories were universally good stories. Not always without grammar and spelling distractions, mind (I think the Lush story reviewers are less overwhelmed), but good stories.


feel free to give me whatever you want - i don't do forced voting, and i don't check up on who gave me what - that's just as juvenile as someone scoring a story low out of spite, imo.

Live, love, laugh.
ChuckEPoo
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 4:55:17 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 8/30/2013
Posts: 944
Location: Ventura, United States
dpw wrote:
I've just received my first score of one, lol.
Apparently an author took umbrage to me giving a score of three for their new story, so I get a one in retaliation.
There were some grammatical errors and mistaken use of words. The sex was unrealistic and overall, treated the reader like a juvenile, with explanation after explanation.
I thought this sort of behaviour might happen in High School, but not here. We are all meant to be adults, aren't we?
I was wondering if this is a regular occurrance or a one off?
Do people expect every score to be a five?
Should I stop scoring on stories that I feel don't deserve a five?


Derek,
As I wrote you earlier, I think retaliation for a low is always unjustified. The fact it came from someone that I truly care about makes it even worse. I am caught between the preverbal rock and a hard place. I am not defending her actions or that of her fans but I think what you did not mention was that the mod that approved the story gave her An RR and all other scores were 5s. That and the fact that you scored her a random 3 with no comment or explanation made it seem like a internet slammer. (I call them internet trolls). I received a three with explanation once and wrote back thanking them for their feed back. Because of that input I edited my story. It is indefensible to low score any one in retaliation. When I see that happen to well written authors like Milik or Ashleigh or you, it makes me upset.

One of the things I appreciate about this community of writers is the feed back from accomplished authors. I am fairly new to fiction writing, although I am published in the technical field. So my deepest apologies for your being slammed. I would suggest a comment with a score might soften the blow.

Chuck
Users browsing this topic
Guest 


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS

Powered by Yet Another Forum.net version 1.9.1.6 (NET v4.0) - 11/14/2007
Copyright © 2003-2006 Yet Another Forum.net. All rights reserved.