Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Movies: Remake or No Remake Options · View
Posted: Tuesday, June 8, 2010 10:44:14 PM

Which movies do you think should be remade?
Which movies should be left alone and never remade?
Posted: Tuesday, June 8, 2010 10:50:59 PM

I would like to see Psyco remade, but I would not like to see the Star Wars movies remade.
Jillicious
Posted: Tuesday, June 8, 2010 11:54:35 PM

Never be remade
The Goonies
Top Gun
Sound of Music
Wizard of OZ
The Burbs

Remake
Mad Max

Thousands of user submitted stories removed from the site. You are nothing without your users or their freely submitted stories.
Posted: Wednesday, June 9, 2010 12:27:19 AM

I'd like to see The Warriors remade.
Posted: Wednesday, June 9, 2010 12:31:52 AM

Mad max
and Top gun should never be touched.

I agree but also think Mad Max shouldn't be touched. Certain movies are just best left alone.
Magical_felix
Posted: Wednesday, June 9, 2010 3:36:42 AM

roccotool wrote:
I'd like to see The Warriors remade.

That would be sweet but they have to keep it in the 70's. If they make it take place in the present day it won't resemble the original at all. The 70's goofiness and lingo is what makes me love that movie. Can you dig it?

MrNudiePants
Posted: Wednesday, June 9, 2010 6:57:21 AM

Psycho HAS been remade. They took the exact same shooting schedule, scene by scene, and tried to re-create the feeling of the original, but with new actors and techniques. I haven't seen it, but by all accounts, they missed the mark. In my opinion, Robin Hood has been remade just too many times. What I'd like to see personally, is a remake of the old Japanese Classic "The Seven Samurai". The story has been told in many different ways (as a cowboy movie, for instance) but I'd still like to see the original story, only made for modern audiences. Maybe directed by Ang Lee.

thepainter
Posted: Wednesday, June 9, 2010 8:25:51 AM

Remakes reschmakes. They fail at creating something good 99.9999999999999999% of the time but unfortunately the $-signs in their eyes makes it all okay.

Insert typical super smart ass comment courtesy of thepainter here.
INNOCENTMISERY
Posted: Wednesday, June 9, 2010 8:51:12 AM

Jillicious wrote:
Never be remade
Wizard of OZ

I guess you haven't heard that Tim Burton is in the early stages of a remake. He claims his retelling will be more accurate to the book (which is exactly what he did w/ Charlie & The Chocolate Factory.

And Burton's in negotiations to turn Gregory Maguire's The Wicked Years series of books into movies.

Anyway, there really aren't any movies I want to see remade. Like thepainter said, most movie remakes are horrible. The few exceptions I can think of (in my opinion anyway since they were technically reenvisions) are Rob Zombie's Halloween & Halloween 2 and the recent Nightmare On Elm Street.

"Nos laetus epulor qui would domito nos. (We gladly feast on those who would subdue us.)"
"Nil satis nisi optimum. (Nothing but the best will do.)"
"I hate it when things don't go my way. It makes me so...horny." - Sarah Michelle Gellar (Kathryn, Cruel Intentions)
"Sex is just alone time with someone else there." - Taint on The Lex And Terry Show, 11/11/09
"Stupidity isn't a crime, so you're free to go."
"I am The Devil, too. There can only be one devil. One of us must go." - Ozzy Osbourne at the end of his cover of "Sympathy For The Devil"
"Your ego is not your amigo." - Nikki Sixx, The Heroin Diaries
"It's my world. I'm just letting you live here." - Mandy, The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy
Dancing_Doll
Posted: Wednesday, June 9, 2010 11:49:11 AM

INNOCENTMISERY wrote:
Jillicious wrote:
Never be remade
Wizard of OZ

I guess you haven't heard that Tim Burton is in the early stages of a remake. He claims his retelling will be more accurate to the book (which is exactly what he did w/ Charlie & The Chocolate Factory.

And Burton's in negotiations to turn Gregory Maguire's The Wicked Years series of books into movies.

Anyway, there really aren't any movies I want to see remade. Like thepainter said, most movie remakes are horrible. The few exceptions I can think of (in my opinion anyway since they were technically reenvisions) are Rob Zombie's Halloween & Halloween 2 and the recent Nightmare On Elm Street.

I agree, Rob Zombie did a great job with the remakes!

ChelleLaBelle
Posted: Wednesday, June 9, 2010 11:59:37 AM

I'm not a fan of "The Wizard of Oz" so i think it should be remade to see if it makes it any better. I HIGHLY doubt it... but its worth a try!
Remington
Posted: Wednesday, June 9, 2010 12:02:54 PM

The Amityville horror remake wasn't too bad. There were somethings that didn't follow the first one, but it was alright for the most part.

Go check out my new story - How Did This Happen? - John's Story

Posted: Wednesday, June 9, 2010 12:04:21 PM

ChelleLaBelle wrote:
I'm not a fan of "The Wizard of Oz" so i think it should be remade to see if it makes it any better. I HIGHLY doubt it... but its worth a try!

NO NO NO NO NO!!!! Classics like that jjust should not be allowed to be remade nuff said
Posted: Wednesday, June 9, 2010 12:11:29 PM

thepainter wrote:
Remakes reschmakes. They fail at creating something good 99.9999999999999999% of the time but unfortunately the $-signs in their eyes makes it all okay.

I agree with this 100%. LOL.
Can you imagine The African Queen with say.. Brangelina? Christ! Or how about The Maltese Falcon with.. Colin Farrell? I shudder to think.
Tim Burton just needs to lay down the acid and just go into rehab and stop making movies altogether.
INNOCENTMISERY
Posted: Wednesday, June 9, 2010 12:13:45 PM

bikebum1975 wrote:
NO NO NO NO NO!!!! Classics like that jjust should not be allowed to be remade nuff said

So you wouldn't want to see how some of today's most talented people in Hollywood would retell any of your favorite movies? Sure, the numbers show that most retells aren't that good, but nobody will know how the movie would turn out with a different director or cast UNLESS the movie gets remade/retold. I'm sure there are movies that you've watched that you've said "That would have been so much better if so & so made it or so & so had been in it."

So. I'm all for new people retelling some of my favorite movies.

"Nos laetus epulor qui would domito nos. (We gladly feast on those who would subdue us.)"
"Nil satis nisi optimum. (Nothing but the best will do.)"
"I hate it when things don't go my way. It makes me so...horny." - Sarah Michelle Gellar (Kathryn, Cruel Intentions)
"Sex is just alone time with someone else there." - Taint on The Lex And Terry Show, 11/11/09
"Stupidity isn't a crime, so you're free to go."
"I am The Devil, too. There can only be one devil. One of us must go." - Ozzy Osbourne at the end of his cover of "Sympathy For The Devil"
"Your ego is not your amigo." - Nikki Sixx, The Heroin Diaries
"It's my world. I'm just letting you live here." - Mandy, The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy
Posted: Wednesday, June 9, 2010 12:19:58 PM

Not me, IMO, a movie made is a movie played ... leave it alone good or bad. That was the director's vision and to remake it ... well, it unimaginative. Its what you do when you have no original ideas for yourself except on how to change someone elses vision to your own. If you want that, use hallucinogenics and watch the original again, it will look entirely different then and will have not cost anyone a dime clown
Posted: Wednesday, June 9, 2010 12:34:55 PM

INNOCENTMISERY wrote:
bikebum1975 wrote:

So you wouldn't want to see how some of today's most talented people in Hollywood would retell any of your favorite movies? Sure, the numbers show that most retells aren't that good, but nobody will know how the movie would turn out with a different director or cast UNLESS the movie gets remade/retold. I'm sure there are movies that you've watched that you've said "That would have been so much better if so & so made it or so & so had been in it."

No there are just certain movies that should not be touched no how hell I hated when they started to colorize some of the old black and white classics. I for one say leave certain old moves alone like ChefK said movies like the African Queen for one NO WAY IN HELL should that be remade under any circumstances only 2 people could do that movie it should remain untouched as many others that they are thinking about remaking or have remade. I mean take War of the Worlds that was one of the shittiest movies ever remade they shouldn't have made it. The new actors just don't have what it takes to pull off those old movies.
thepainter
Posted: Wednesday, June 9, 2010 12:38:20 PM

I think most horror remakes incl. the Rob Zombie stuff is crap.
The only one that was pretty decent was the "Dawn of the Dead" remake.

Tim Burton definitely has to stop being lazy and start creating some stories on his own instead of this endless remaking of books and other movies.
Then again, he's always been more of a style over substance director.

INNOCENTMISERY wrote:

The number of really talented directors in Hollywood can be counted on one hand. Adding a shitload of computer effects doesn't make a story better. In fact, most of the remakes completely forget the value of telling a good story. Additionally, there's something called Zeitgeist which is never taken into account with the remakes crap.

Want a nice new example?
"The karate kid" remake. But wait, instead of karate we're now using kung fu but still call it "The karate kid".
Sure, with some luck the fight scenes will have decent choreography but the retelling of the story is rather unnecessary. And the "bonus" of having a kid of Will Smith play the lead? violent1

Finally, to end this rant: I vote HELL FUCKEN NO to a remake of Akira Kurosawa's "Seven samurai". I can do without a popcorn version of a genuine classic movie. Even if I think Kurosawa made several movies that are much better than that one.
I feel the same about Ingmar Bergman's "The Seventh Seal", Bergman made many superior movies.

Yours truly, the movie snob.

Posted: Wednesday, June 9, 2010 12:43:29 PM

thepainter wrote:
I think most horror remakes incl. the Rob Zombie stuff is crap.
The only one that was pretty decent was the "Dawn of the Dead" remake.

Tim Burton definitely has to stop being lazy and start creating some stories on his own instead of this endless remaking of books and other movies.
Then again, he's always been more of a style over substance director.

INNOCENTMISERY wrote:

The number of really talented directors in Hollywood can be counted on one hand. Adding a shitload of computer effects doesn't make a story better. In fact, most of the remakes completely forget the value of telling a good story. Additionally, there's something called Zeitgeist which is never taken into account with the remakes crap.

Want a nice new example?
"The karate kid" remake. But wait, instead of karate we're now using kung fu but still call it "The karate kid".
Sure, with some luck the fight scenes will have decent choreography but the retelling of the story is rather unnecessary. And the "bonus" of having a kid of Will Smith play the lead? violent1

Finally, to end this rant: I vote HELL FUCKEN NO to a remake of Akira Kurosawa's "Seven samurai". I can do without a popcorn version of a genuine classic movie. Even if I think Kurosawa made several movies that are much better than that one.
I feel the same about Ingmar Bergman's "The Seventh Seal", Bergman made many superior movies.

Paint gotta agree with ya man I for one know they basically though s it is a western was based on The Seven Samurai it's The Magnificent Seven so it's been done and is a classic in itself. And as Painter said these directors need to get off their lazy asses and actually make a movie like the old directors did how often 20 years or more ago did you hear about them doing remakes as often as they are now? I mean really there has to be more original scripts out there than taking something that's a great movie already and ruining it in most cases especially when they start doing all the CGI crap today Yes it's great but some of the old cheesy movies were great even with the crappy acting and special effects.
Posted: Wednesday, June 9, 2010 12:57:38 PM

I think CGI has it's place but, not in remakes. Gotta wonder if stunt men/women are being put out of work. It's just not the same without the element of danger in it.
I could have screamed when I heard they were remaking The Karate Kid. And with JACKIE CHAN?? Where's Pat Morita? Yeah, yeah I know he died but, man! Leave it alone! JACKIE CHAN!?!?!
Posted: Wednesday, June 9, 2010 1:15:57 PM

chefkathleen wrote:
I think CGI has it's place but, not in remakes. Gotta wonder if stunt men/women are being put out of work. It's just not the same without the element of danger in it.
I could have screamed when I heard they were remaking The Karate Kid. And with JACKIE CHAN?? Where's Pat Morita? Yeah, yeah I know he died but, man! Leave it alone! JACKIE CHAN!?!?!

Yes CGI does have it's place but it gets used just a little to much for my taste course the other thing is the cost of hiring so many actors doing say large battle scenes like movies from years ago I just think they use it to cause it's more cost effective in the end.

And I about damn near fell over when I heard the Karate kid was being remad e plus though based on a TV show The A-Team should have been left alone I mean yes one of my favorite shows but without the orginal cast it just looks cheesey even more than the show did lol
Jillicious
Posted: Wednesday, June 9, 2010 1:22:57 PM

Amazon Women on the Moon
It should be remade, classic or not.

Thousands of user submitted stories removed from the site. You are nothing without your users or their freely submitted stories.
Posted: Wednesday, June 9, 2010 1:28:33 PM

bikebum1975 wrote:
chefkathleen wrote:

Yes CGI does have it's place but it gets used just a little to much for my taste course the other thing is the cost of hiring so many actors doing say large battle scenes like movies from years ago I just think they use it to cause it's more cost effective in the end.

And I about damn near fell over when I heard the Karate kid was being remad e plus though based on a TV show The A-Team should have been left alone I mean yes one of my favorite shows but without the orginal cast it just looks cheesey even more than the show did lol

I agree about the cost of the big battle scenes but, there was something so right? about all those people working together to make the movie. Can you see them doing Cleopatra with all the CGI army men? Meh, not the same. Then they'd use some smarmy pop princess to replace the beautiful Liz Taylor and I'd have to throw popcorn at the screen. Julia Roberts? Angelina? Sandra? Nope, Ms. Taylor thank-you.

I saw they were making The A Team. Bummer. Mr.T is still alive, they should/could us him in it. It just won't be the same.crybaby
thepainter
Posted: Wednesday, June 9, 2010 1:45:37 PM

I'm definitely not representative for the mainstream audience but I don't need any big ass epic movies to enjoy myself at the cinema or in front of the TV. Of course the masses want to be entertained and so brainless popcorn movies are good for just that. I know that people will always watch stuff like "Transformers", "Avatar" and all those big ass blockbusters, and when I'm in the mood for brainless popcorn fun I'll pop them in too. Sometimes I like to be entertained too and sometimes (like with "Avatar") I want to see what the fuzz is all about.

The movie snob comment also stems from the fact that I watch a lot of indie movies which often have a much lower budget but usually a much better story telling approach without having to throw eye candy/screaming visuals at the audience. Often these kinds of movies are much more rewarding for me personally but I'm aware that many mainstream viewers would fall asleep 5 minutes into these movies.

At the end of the day Hollywood can damn well do what they like and people will still watch their products.

RE: The A-Team, both Dwight Schulz and Dirk Benedict have like a 3-second cameo in the A-Team movie. Benedict has since declared he regrets participating in the making of this movie and Mr. T recently bashed the movie after having seen it. FYI, Mr. T was also invited for a cameo appearance but he declined.
I like Mr. T. hello1

Posted: Wednesday, June 9, 2010 1:51:08 PM

thepainter wrote:
I'm definitely not representative for the mainstream audience but I don't need any big ass epic movies to enjoy myself at the cinema or in front of the TV. Of course the masses want to be entertained and so brainless popcorn movies are good for just that. I know that people will always watch stuff like "Transformers", "Avatar" and all those big ass blockbusters, and when I'm in the mood for brainless popcorn fun I'll pop them in too. Sometimes I like to be entertained too and sometimes (like with "Avatar") I want to see what the fuzz is all about.

The movie snob comment also stems from the fact that I watch a lot of indie movies which often have a much lower budget but usually a much better story telling approach without having to throw eye candy/screaming visuals at the audience. Often these kinds of movies are much more rewarding for me personally but I'm aware that many mainstream viewers would fall asleep 5 minutes into these movies.

At the end of the day Hollywood can damn well do what they like and people will still watch their products.

RE: The A-Team, both Dwight Schulz and Dirk Benedict have like a 3-second cameo in the A-Team movie. Benedict has since declared he regrets participating in the making of this movie and Mr. T recently bashed the movie after having seen it. FYI, Mr. T was also invited for a cameo appearance but he declined.
I like Mr. T. hello1

It just ain't the same A-team without the original Hannibal lol Plus gotta love the other guys like Decker in it to they just can't be replaced lol
Posted: Wednesday, June 9, 2010 2:03:46 PM

Quote:

I like Mr. T.

I agree with the end of the day statement. The only way they'll cut the shit and start to make good movies again is when the $$ are going down.

Good for Mr. T.
MrNudiePants
Posted: Wednesday, June 9, 2010 2:52:00 PM

thepainter wrote:

Which is why I suggested that someone like Ang Lee do it. Look at his movies; you can see that he's a master story-teller. I think that there's too much pap being touted as "genius", just as there are too many remakes already been done. How many fucking times do I have to see Robin Hood? With Russell Crowe as the lead fer Chrissake?

But still - some directors are capable of actually telling a story - I think Lee could do a great job of telling The Seven Samurai.
thepainter
Posted: Wednesday, June 9, 2010 3:02:37 PM

Hey I like Ang Lee and he's a good director, but he's simply not a visionary nor as good a storyteller as Akira Kurosawa imo.
Speaking of Asian directors, I wonder how good the next few Wong Kar-Wai movies will be.
Other excellent Asian directors are Ki-duk Kim, Johnnie To, Chan-wook Park and Takashi Miike to name a few.

Posted: Wednesday, June 9, 2010 3:20:35 PM

Quote:
there's too much pap being touted as "genius",

Amen brother.
Posted: Wednesday, June 9, 2010 3:40:42 PM

I watch movies-from-comics/cartoons through my fingers like a horror movie (figuratively of course). I watched Transformers the movie because I was addicted to them as a teenager, the same as GI Joe. They are definitely brainless, but I guess I'm a glutton for punishment and force myself to watch them.

Funny coincidence to the original Karate Kid, useless trivia I guess; but Miyagi is the name of the original instructor of GoJu-Ryu Karate started in Okinawa in1929. Chojun Miyagi. I learned about this studying Wado-Ryu about 15 years ago as the originator of Wado-Ryu was friends with him.

And I'm with ya bikebum on the A-Team. Another I watched as a kid and hate to see made into a movie.

Wasn't The Seven Samurai loosely based on Miamoto Musashi of the Book of Five Rings fame?